• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Shadow Hog I have a great time in a pinball/arcade time machine and bought some great PS1 games next door, including Breath of Fire 3 complete for $25.

Thanks SH~
No problem. I only wish I could've been there too; being there last year was like being in seventh heaven. (Shame we couldn't stay for long, because our bus passes were expiring really soon thereafter.)

Thanks to Shadow Hog I found a great deal on all the Turrican games, including the best one: Turrican 2

he's awesome and probably quite handsome <3
I did? Well, congrats!

I only own Mega Turrican... really need to get around to playing it.

Shadow Hog gave me nothing. I bet he's ugly and smells like qq more.
tumblr_m6tfebapap1rndizkuk.gif

Here's some gore for you, then.

Never going to NYCC again unless people there start practicing proper hygiene. I can't even begin to describe how bad the odor was when I went in 2010.

qq more

Smells like someone who never played a PS2. And lemme tell you, those people stink to high heaven.

Nah man, I smell like someone who plays superior games than the silly PS2 that's only good for nostalgia! My opinion is right and you are wrong because the world revolves around me!

Noi

I played the PS2 R&C trio, but I skipped the first two Future games cause I could never find Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty didn't seem worth it. May as well play ToD at least (and nab Deadlocked on PSN some day.)

Quest for Booty is very fun for a little downloadable title and it kinda tells you a bit of what happened in between ToD and CiT. I thought the music for it was especially fitting...and you get to fight even more space pirates. We all need a little space pirate in our lives

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually, qq's birthday's on Saturday. :O

It's...
Lot of July birthdays in this thread. >_>

Mine's on Tuesday.
Happy birthday, BHZ Mayor! And I'm not gonna post the shitty cake.

sonic2j3x2p.jpg

I tried finding a Ratchet and Clank cake, but I couldn't find one that was, like, good.

Today is Shadow Hog appreciation day. Everyone say what you appreciate him for.
Shadow Hog led me to videogames.pricecharting.com to compare retro games and gear in order to see whether or not I was getting a bargain!

He also updates the LP thread with Retsupurae content with detailed posts! Yay, Shadow Hog!

Idk if this is appropriate for this topic (mods feel free to delete if so) but I thought you might all appreciate that my band collaborated with Jun Senoue. He's the audio director for the Sonic Adventure games, Heroes, Shadow, and various other things in the franchise. He's also in Crush 40.

The album can be heard here: http://sunnysideupska.bandcamp.com
The song is track 8, Dead Society. The guitar solos are him, it sounds very distinctly adventure-era sonic.
Can I just say I love Bandcamp? I love Bandcamp. Also skaaaaaa! I haven't listened to some new ska in aaaages. I miss it.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm impressed that you got to collaborate with him. How did that come about, if you don't mind sharing? And yeah, it totally sounds like his guitar work in Adventure in general, especially after watching some of his solo recordings on YT. But that's because the Adventure games were sometimes rather guitar-based--or at least the more seemingly-popular tracks.

Tirod

Speaking of dead gods, I've had this morbid curiosity about finally playing that DAMN Shadow the Hedgehog game.

One of the few games in the franchise I've skipped
for good reason
but I feel an obligation as a series veteran to finally get around to playing it.

So which version is better between the PS2 and GC versions? I'd prefer PS2 since I still have it hooked up and don't have to drag my Wii out from the closet, but if the GC version is dramatically better I'll get on that.

Bonus: I'll chronicle my playthrough in rich detail when I finally start.

Tirod

Why not get an actually good PS2 game?
Like Yakuza 1 and/or 2?

Because I already have enough good PS2 games
that I still haven't played

Yakuza is a series still on my list of things to do, but I really want to finish the two Shin Megami Tensei Raidou games before moving on to other stuff.

I really just have this sudden urge to play Shadow, and I need to satisfy my curiosity.

Kokonoe

Banned
Gosh, I'm so happy to be playing Raging Blast 2 again. Love this game, and it looks great on my capture card.

io3nbbWpPdh4q.png

My Gundam EXTREME VS should be here by today, so I really can't wait to play that.

Vesperia is on PS3, right? I don't have a 360 atm so I may try to get it if that's the case. Will also take SonicGAF suggestions!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you want to learn faster without wanting to speak/write it but just read it, maybe try looking into a few textbooks like I did back in high school to learn a little quicker.

Pedagogical settings essentially have a rigid structure that won't really prepare you fast enough if you just, say, want to learn how to read a novel or play a game within a few years. You'll miss out on interaction and group activities which are generally used for speaking exercises, and feedback from teachers who would know more about idiomatic phrases or different readings of a character/lexical item if you decide to go the self-learning route, though. So, it's really up to you as to what you want to do.

Learning Katakana and Hiragana just takes two weeks if you consistently work at it, but you'll probably know a few characters here and there prior to starting because of constant exposure. It's the kanji that really takes time, and I usually subscribe to the belief of knowing !~2000 kanji would probably be beneficial before attempting a visual novel or something with a lot of text like an RPG.

It's not really hard; it just takes lots of practice. Especially since you're venturing into a terrain that doesn't use the Latin Alphabet. Generally from my linguistics studies, it's much easier to learn Dutch or French for native English speakers because: a) they learn something using the Latin Alphabet, b) Dutch is very close to English (but Frisian is probably closer), and c) French lent a ton of words to English back during the Norman Conquest of 1066. But no language is "impossible". It takes practice.

...get me talking about linguistics and I just ramble on and on and on...

Kokonoe

Banned
If you want to learn faster without wanting to speak/write it but just read it, maybe try looking into a few textbooks like I did back in high school to learn a little quicker.

Pedagogical settings essentially have a rigid structure that won't really prepare you fast enough if you just, say, want to learn how to read a novel or play a game within a few years. You'll miss out on interaction and group activities which are generally used for speaking exercises, and feedback from teachers who would know more about idiomatic phrases or different readings of a character/lexical item if you decide to go the self-learning route, though. So, it's really up to you as to what you want to do.

Learning Katakana and Hiragana just takes two weeks if you consistently work at it, but you'll probably know a few characters here and there prior to starting because of constant exposure. It's the kanji that really takes time, and I usually subscribe to the belief of knowing !~2000 kanji would probably be beneficial before attempting a visual novel or something with a lot of text like an RPG.

It's not really hard; it just takes lots of practice. Especially since you're venturing into a terrain that doesn't use the Latin Alphabet. Generally from my linguistics studies, it's much easier to learn Dutch or French for native English speakers because: a) they learn something using the Latin Alphabet, b) Dutch is very close to English (but Frisian is probably closer), and c) French lent a ton of words to English back during the Norman Conquest of 1066. But no language is "impossible". It takes practice.

...get me talking about linguistics and I just ramble on and on and on...

Thanks for info! I'll look into this, perhaps do both. I really have no hobbies outside of video games so I do have free time on my hands that could be better put to use.

Reading is definitely my main priority.

I still think it's total BS we didn't get Vesperia for PS3. One of the few games I can think of off the top of my head that I really want that's only on 360 in the west.

Also, I apologize if I left abruptly last night on IRC. The power in my home went out all of a sudden, and I had to get to bed anyway.

Lastly, my paycheck finally processed today so I have been buying games on Steam like nobody's business. Already purchased Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Portal 2. Now I just have to wait for (hopefully) Sonic Generations to have a flash sale and I'll be set.

BlackJace

Gosh, I'm so happy to be playing Raging Blast 2 again. Love this game, and it looks great on my capture card.

io3nbbWpPdh4q.png

My Gundam EXTREME VS should be here by today, so I really can't wait to play that.

Vesperia is on PS3, right? I don't have a 360 atm so I may try to get it if that's the case. Will also take SonicGAF suggestions!

Gundam EX VS is hands down the best thing that's come out of Namco Bandai. It's why I think Smash 4 is in good hands.

That desert level looks incredibly empty and uninteresting. Just like with most of the original Colour Powers, Eagle and Asterdoid seem to be taking cues from some of the friends' abilites, namely Rouge's flight and Blaze's fire. Rhythm honestly just looks as dumb and out of place as Cube, though.

Still not entirely hyped for this game, and it just so happens to come out 10 days after Pokemon X/Y... not sure if that's a good idea.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't mind more Colours... it's just... I dunno about this one. I really have to try it out and see how it feels. Because the controls still seem iffy to me.

Is the Rhythm Wisp a sort of homing attack-ish wisp or something?

Good grief, that Lost World thread's escalated quickly.
Are you even surprised anymore?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Er. I don't really like the notion of singling out other members in this thread at all. :/

Anyway...I just glanced in there to see if I can post something real quick and now I'm like, "Maybe I shouldn't say what I'm about to say." Like, not everyone's going to feel the same way about the control scheme, so it's certainly reasonable for people to feel skeptical based on footage and the 3D controls. It didn't strike me as right the first time we saw the game, and it still doesn't strike me as right now. And, uh, I don't mind grind rails at all, provided they function like Colours/Gens where you're discouraged from boosting all the time, or you should have to do tricks and parkour in order to manoeuvre through them for extra points or whatever.

Man, I miss the old Generations threads when we actually got along for the most part.

Regardless, I guess that means I have to get a Wii U by October 22nd... which means I'm putting off my JP 3DS purchase for a while. Hahahaha.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, HELP ME CHOOSE ONE:
Luigi 3DS LL
White 3DS LL
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D Edition

qq more wants me to get the Luigi one.

Yeah, I suppose it's bad form to single out members, but MAN am I frustrated with how that thread went. Between a guy continuously refusing to address the point put forth, to a guy who addressed it but also had to be incredibly condescending about it... I half-wonder if I should've contacted mods about it.

I want the Luigi one in America. Actually, I really want the mint one in America, or a darker green one. I just want a green XL, darnit :\

qq more

...Yikes! I've just now noticed the price of the Luigi LL. Skip that.

EDIT: The DQ one is also extremely expensive. ...Yeah go with the White LL :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom