• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I feel weird. This is one of the few times that I'm more lukewarm towards a new Sonic game post-2008 than I should be. I truly do think that once I am able to try a demo, I'll feel a bit better about it. But as of right now, I'm not sure how I feel about the game in general.

I mean, I'm definitely buying a Wii U for this game when all's said and done, but my interest in the game just seems to have plateaued as opposed to increasing steadily. A stark contrast to Generations and Colours.

Blaze should come in here and give us his opinion about it even though he still feels really iffy about the game, too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, it looks good, aesthetically-speaking.

I'm just concerned with some of the level design, 3D control, acceleration, wisp selection with the touchscreen, and maybe the length of the BGMs (because as Sciz pointed out a few weeks ago, the music--while sounding good--just doesn't have that sense of progression that we're used to in Sonic games). Again, if I ever get a chance to play a demo of it, I'll perhaps feel differently.

PKrockin

Classic Sonic in Generations feels really unlike Sonic in the Genesis games.

The spin dash and jump work differently, horizontal springs prevent you from rolling or jumping for a moment after touched, vertical springs halt horizontal momentum, normal top speed while jumping is incredibly slow, enemies simply send you a set distance upward when jumped on instead of being based on the height you fell from and whether you held the button, a lot of ramps are scripted to send you a certain sometimes unexpected direction and a set distance, Sonic unrolls after a certain amount of time after a spin dash, Sonic always unrolls at a certain speed whether you hold down or not...

Are there even any half-pipe-like structures in any of the stages? Ones like in Spring Yard Zone, where you can roll back and forth and gain momentum to go up? Come to think of it, are there really any obstacles that encourage you to use/play with momentum like that? Rotating spheres in Scrap Brain/Carnival Night, Ice Cap pendulums or act 2's purple bouncing platforms on chains, the infamous barrel, that sort of thing?

The changes make the game feel more restricted than the Genesis games, IMO.

Village

Classic Sonic in Generations feels really unlike Sonic in the Genesis games.

The spin dash and jump work differently, horizontal springs prevent you from rolling or jumping for a moment after touched, vertical springs halt horizontal momentum, normal top speed while jumping is incredibly slow, enemies simply send you a set distance upward when jumped on instead of being based on the height you fell from and whether you held the button, a lot of ramps are scripted to send you a certain sometimes unexpected direction and a set distance, Sonic unrolls after a certain amount of time after a spin dash, Sonic always unrolls at a certain speed whether you hold down or not...

Are there even any half-pipe-like structures in any of the stages? Ones like in Spring Yard Zone, where you can roll back and forth and gain momentum to go up? Come to think of it, are there really any obstacles that encourage you to use/play with momentum like that? Rotating spheres in Scrap Brain/Carnival Night, Ice Cap pendulums or act 2's purple bouncing platforms on chains, the infamous barrel, that sort of thing?

The changes make the game feel more restricted than the Genesis games, IMO.

I agree with this criticism entirely , so much so that the only stages I replay are the modern sonic ones. I feel like that was the gold that they found that game, classic sonic was seemed to be there for fanservice reasons, modern sonic levels felt like the combination of all the good things they have learned over the years.

Now they just need an non anniversary game to work with it, but lost world doesn't seem to be that, more colors. Oh well could be worse right, it could be another bioware joint.

Special Capcom surprise later this week

GET HYPE

MIIxzSp.jpg

Does Mega Man lay down? I thought he just exploded so Dr. Wily couldn't get his paws on his parts and rebuilding him as an evil Robot Master
Precisely the objection I raised in the Smash thread.

Dual Destinies is rated M. M. It doesn't look more violent or profanity/nudity-laden than earlier Ace Attorney games...

PKrockin

ESRB doesn't list sexual content as being prominent, it must be grisly deaths or something.

I agree with this criticism entirely , so much so that the only stages I replay are the modern sonic ones. I feel like that was the gold that they found that game, classic sonic was seemed to be there for fanservice reasons, modern sonic levels felt like the combination of all the good things they have learned over the years.

Now they just need an non anniversary game to work with it, but lost world doesn't seem to be that, more colors. Oh well could be worse right, it could be another bioware joint.

The disappointing thing to me is we'll never see Classic Sonic gameplay again if they actually attempted to replicate the gameplay style of the Genesis games and this was the result. Hopefully they were just too lazy to change the Modern Sonic formula much.

Does Mega Man lay down? I thought he just exploded so Dr. Wily couldn't get his paws on his parts and rebuilding him as an evil Robot Master

Dr. Wily still somehow makes clones of him in MM1 and MM2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Today was the first time in my life where someone who I don't know well had spoken to me condescendingly in a manner that made it seem like they were trying to say that I was stupid. :/

I know otherwise, but man, that hurt.

Special Capcom surprise later this week

GET HYPE

http://i.imgur.com/MIIxzSp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Dammit, JC. :/

[quote="Shadow Hog, post: 71105431"]It [I]did[/I] list language, though. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_tMD5bTbLM]Clearly, this guy is the newest [I]Ace Attorney[/I] witness.[/url][/QUOTE]
Ha. I think I needed that.

I still can't believe that this was almost a thing, and that people on GAF were actually excited about it.
It was so wholly not Mega Man, and I've no regrets that it was cancelled as such, but looked like it could've been fun - although the gun needed to be stronger, since there was more focus on running up to things and punching them than shooting them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's so hot that I have a headache. I almost regret going out today. Yeesh. I was supposed to get some errands done, but I chose to do those tomorrow because NOPE.

In American temperatures, it should be feeling about 112°F here. In normal temperatures, it's 44°C. This ain't Canadian weather, no sir.

And about that Not-Mega Man game. Either way, I wouldn't be able to play that game since it's in first person; or at least, I wouldn't put myself through the nausea and heaps of gravol and naps to play through it like I did for Metroid Prime and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2. It's not Mega Man. Never was; and thus I have no interest in it in any case. FPSes aren't my thing.

Going after that COD audience.
No wonder it opens with a bombing.

And it will end with another type of bombing, sales! ahahaha...oh im sad now.

Today was the first time in my life where someone who I don't know well had spoken to me condescendingly in a manner that made it seem like they were trying to say that I was stupid. :/

I know otherwise, but man, that hurt.
Should've printed out some of your tomes and presented them to the offender, then they'd see how wrong they are, and by present I mean you bury them under the sheer weight of tomage because violence is the solution, though I guess there might be some other way these could present something intelligence related.

If it's any consolation I feel like i've been called stupid all week long by Dream Team Bros.

It's fuckin HOT.
Ermagerd I'm dyin'
My pale Britishness can barely stand what we've got, another sufferer of heat headaches over here, I heard a rumble of thunder earlier, I can only hope for the heavens to open and cleanse this dying land but it's gone all quiet again.
And why is it every year when the temperature gets to its highest I get tasked with removing weeds from the front and back gardens? there's a conspiracy here I tell ya.

PKrockin

It's so hot that I have a headache. I almost regret going out today. Yeesh. I was supposed to get some errands done, but I chose to do those tomorrow because NOPE.

In American temperatures, it should be feeling about 112°F here. In normal temperatures, it's 44°C. This ain't Canadian weather, no sir.

lol, you're feeling that heat wave too? I'm in the Midwest like 50 miles from the border, and it's a cool, crisp 70 degrees (21C) here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, you're feeling that heat wave too? I'm in the Midwest like 50 miles from the border, and it's a cool, crisp 70 degrees (21C) here.
Toronto area. It's HOT. omg

You'd think it'd be cooler near Lake Ontario, but no, it's not even helping this time.

The disappointing thing to me is we'll never see Classic Sonic gameplay again if they actually attempted to replicate the gameplay style of the Genesis games and this was the result. Hopefully they were just too lazy to change the Modern Sonic formula much.
I should add that the most disappointing thing to me in terms of Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations 3DS is that the Classic Sonic physics in that game were much closer to the Genesis type of movement... and then they decided to give Classic Sonic the homing attack to design levels around that homing attack. Rather disappointed with that.

Classic Sonic's spindash is just way too overpowered in Generations.

Should've printed out some of your tomes and presented them to the offender, then they'd see how wrong they are, and by present I mean you bury them under the sheer weight of tomage because violence is the solution, though I guess there might be some other way these could present something intelligence related.

If it's any consolation I feel like i've been called stupid all week long by Dream Team Bros.
I am envious that you guys got Dream Team before we did. -_-

Haha, my tomes are about video games and linguistics, though. Definitely not to this person's interest. Though your way of asserting yourself with the weight of thousands of pieces of paper truly does intrigue me and makes me feel better.

I'm trying to figure out how it's so much hotter up north, closer to the pole, than it is down here in DC.

And don't think it's cool down here in DC, because we're under a heatwave as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom