• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
I thought if you got Platinum you could pick a Platinum prize and a Gold prize, but it seems you can only get one prize.

All right, these prizes suck.

PKrockin

I asked about this in the "stupid gaming questions that don't deserve their own thread", and I was told I would get a better response here. So, here goes:

I agree with you here. Ice Cap is my least favorite music from 3&K. Launch Base, Sandopolis, Mushroom Hill... all still better than Ice Cap.

Actually I really like Sandopolis though nobody else seems to.

It's certainly more upbeat. I guess I do prefer it over the original version.

It doesn't sound all that catchy either, though.

I like this version a little better too, mostly just due to nostalgia since I grew up playing Sonic and Knuckles Collection instead of the Genesis game.

Hello there, I am Lightning's Number 1. Fan!

At first when I read this I thought I saw "Lightning Lord".

I guess I'm just desperate for attention. ;___________________________;

sometimes i hate the name i chose for gaf

EDIT: Also uh, I'm gonna get the Majora's Mask soundtrack. Because I love that game and I don't own the soundtrack yet SO THERE. >:[

Kokonoe

Banned
At first when I read this I thought I saw "Lightning Lord".

I guess I'm just desperate for attention. ;___________________________;

sometimes i hate the name i chose for gaf

EDIT: Also uh, I'm gonna get the Majora's Mask soundtrack. Because I love that game and I don't own the soundtrack yet SO THERE. >:[

that's weird, you're weird.

I believe you can PM a mod for a name change.

Pietepiet

And... I feel like the sprites could be so much better in places. The sprites on the battle map can be better, and the sprites in-battle could use some tweaking. If anyone else (Pietepiet) is playing this, I'm guessing that they can offer more insight into that if they're seeing what I'm seeing here.

So I completely missed this cause I've not been checking GAF for a long time, but yeah, the sprites in this game are pretty damn bad. There's some nice animations at times, but overall the animation is lazy, the colours are super washed out and the contrast is just awful, making a lot of colours blend together. The idle animations in particular bother me a lot, because you can really clearly see that the characters are just made up of several components, and are not animated as a whole object with volume. It's like they didn't feel like redrawing parts of the frames, so they went the lazy way.

Worst thing is the completely static enemies. Who thought that was a good idea?

But hey, it could be worse. It could be Pokémon Black & White.

I really wish there were some sprite rips of Project X Zone so I could illustrate my point better..

Hi SonicGAF, I'm back I guess?

[EDIT] I'm horribly jealous of the US Club Nintendo....

I, too, ordered the Majora's Mask soundtrack, to go with my OoT3D and Skyward Sword CDs.

Kinda wish I'd finished MM when I had the chance, but I hear my save's been erased. My save with all four giants rescued, for which I was trying to unlock Fierce Deity before facing down Majora, but was hitting a stumbling block with the Kafei quest.

Boo.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? Why do I play Sonic R from time to time?

I think its the music
I actually like both Traveller's Tales games, including Sonic R.

I acknowledge it's not a particularly good game, but nevertheless, I still find the whole thing appealing. Multiple paths in a racer, with goodies off the beaten path, is always fascinating to see. R wasn't particularly balanced in that regard (and didn't even try to be balanced in terms of characters), but it's fun for a run-through now and then; it doesn't even take that long to unlock everything.

I play with the lyrics off. Sue me.

BlackJace

BACK IN TIIIIME

TO ANOTHER WORLD

WHERE YOU CAN BE MIIIINE

LIVIN' IN THE CITTTTYY

YOU KNOOW YOU HAVE TO SURVIIIIIVE

GOT TO KEEP THAT DREAM ALIIIIIVE
I actually like both Traveller's Tales games, including Sonic R.

I acknowledge it's not a particularly good game, but nevertheless, I still find the whole thing appealing. Multiple paths in a racer, with goodies off the beaten path, is always fascinating to see. R wasn't particularly balanced in that regard (and didn't even try to be balanced in terms of characters), but it's fun for a run-through now and then; it doesn't even take that long to unlock everything.

I play with the lyrics off. Sue me.

Do you feel Riders has expanded on that formula?

Sciz

Hm, no wonder. I don't care at all about the bass or any percussion instrument, really. I pretty much focus on the melody (along with any harmony that goes along with it), and Ice Cap Zone doesn't really deliver on that at all for me.

The bass and percussion work is what makes S3&K's music. If it isn't the central focus of the song, it's at least front and center with the melody.

BlackJace

Barely played it.

SaASRT is definitely the better racer, of course.

It is. Riders was a fun little side thing, though. Shame the series is dead with Free Riders, which was....

Because Sonic R is a fun and charming little racer. I like that I can play through the whole thing, unlocking all characters, in one sitting.
If the game was more refined, I'd agree. I guess the jank gets to me. I will concede however that before I get bored and frustrated into oblivion, the game is quite entertaining.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love summer, you guys. But lordy, it should not be getting over 40°C here. That would be 104 F in American or whatever you guys use when the rest of the world uses systems fixed around water's density.

No, it's not necessarily the temperature I don't like, but rather, it's the humidity. And what I hate the most is that it's not good for my complexion. It also means I can't freaking workout because my asthma + breathing too hard in humidity is a health hazard. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Anyway, yeah, the Club Nintendo prizes should be like Square Enix Members at times. For SEM, you get the prize for the tier you get at AND the prizes at the tiers below it. Ex: If you reach Bronze tier, you only get the Bronze prize. If you reach Gold Tier, you get the Gold Prize, AND the Silver + Bronze tier prizes.

Either way, I'm more than likely going to give my prize to someone else. I have all this stuff already, and I don't need another copy of Majora's Mask's OST. I have this copy of the Majora's Mask soundtrack, and it's 2-discs long. Talk about cutting corners, Nintendo. ffs. I paid... $20 for this soundtrack back in the day, and it was more than worth it for the fact that the songs actually loop a little bit. That contrasted strongly with the Ocarina of Time OST, and it was a welcome change.

Too bad. I still think the best prize Nintendo gave was the statue in the ? Block.

So I completely missed this cause I've not been checking GAF for a long time, but yeah, the sprites in this game are pretty damn bad. There's some nice animations at times, but overall the animation is lazy, the colours are super washed out and the contrast is just awful, making a lot of colours blend together. The idle animations in particular bother me a lot, because you can really clearly see that the characters are just made up of several components, and are not animated as a whole object with volume. It's like they didn't feel like redrawing parts of the frames, so they went the lazy way.

Worst thing is the completely static enemies. Who thought that was a good idea?

But hey, it could be worse. It could be Pokémon Black & White.

I really wish there were some sprite rips of Project X Zone so I could illustrate my point better.
Yeah, the trailers made it look like the sprites' animations were less repetitive and way better because they aren't completely wholly animated. That's really disappointing, and for some reason I had expected more from them despite it being a crossover game.

I kinda figured you'd have an issue with the sprites because they really don't seem unique from each other, and they had so much time and so many tools to actually put some decent effort into it, but they didn't. They just ended up being Banpresto about it.

Actually I really like Sandopolis though nobody else seems to.
You're not alone. One of our lurkers, Bean, likes Sandopolis Zone Act 2's music a lot.

The bass and percussion-only video sounds good.

EDIT: YO I NEED SOMEWHERE TO SAY THIS

Parts of GAF said:
Monolith Soft is the saviour of RPGs!
Have you people played most of Monolith Soft's catalogue? Or are you basing this off of Xenoblade which I thought was simply a fluke?

I don't like Xenosaga much, myself. That sort of game design doesn't jive well with me (I never liked the dungeon design (lol, what dungeon design? That game had no dungeon design), I didn't like the game essentially being designed for you to proceed to get to the next cutscene, none of the battle systems were that great outside of maybe 2's, etc.). I don't like games designed like that at all.

Basically, the game part of the game just doesn't feel that great to play, when really, you know it's designed to put forth its narrative. It would've been suited better as an anime or a 3D animated film instead. Narratively, the only ... only... good part of the games was the URTV plot. That's it. Everyone else in those games' casts were irritating as hell outside of Ziggy. Shion is legit one of the worst females in video games because she's just so remarkably stupid. And the most hackneyed take on Gnosticism in the writing in an attempt to make something super-philosophical makes me chuckle at times. I've read better books that made reference to Gnosticism, including Voyage to Arcturus, The Mind Parasites, and The Divine Invasion. Even the Da Vinci Code made better references to the philosophy better than Xenosaga ever did. So no, I didn't get into how the story was written at all because I genuinely thought it was just incredibly hackneyed.

Opinions and all that, but the only Monolith Soft games I've liked were BKO and Xenoblade. Soma Bringer was alright, too. I don't think they've proven to me that they could do something super-stellar. Going back to Squaresoft, I guess the only game I liked where some of the now-Monolith staff had their hands in the pot was probably Chrono Trigger. I didn't like Xenogears at all when I played it for the first time when it was released on PSN.

PKrockin

Why do people keep saying JRPGs need a savior anyway? We got quite a few good ones last gen and there are several really promising ones on the horizon as well.

Is it just because people ignore action RPGs, strategy RPGs, niche RPGs, Mario, Pokemon, handhelds, and anything that isn't basically Final Fantasy?

qq more

On the bright side there was no stupid "EVERY GAME SHOULD BE LIKE XENOBLADE".

Man, the love for Dark Souls was so out of control to the point that someone actually made a thread saying Mega Man should be like Dark Souls... Seriously

Why do people keep saying JRPGs need a savior anyway? We got quite a few good ones last gen and there are several really promising ones on the horizon as well.

Is it just because people ignore action RPGs, strategy RPGs, niche RPGs, Mario, Pokemon, handhelds, and anything that isn't basically Final Fantasy?

More like no two people can agree on what a JRPG is

Hell, let's not even be that specific, no two people can agree on what a "Role-Playing Game" is. Is it XP? Is it turns? Is it fashion sense? Is it a focus on storytelling? Swords or guns? And where do gunswords fall into this? Can it be skill-based or is all number-crunching? If I don't kill nonsensical monsters throughout the game, is it still a RPG? If a monster is killed in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does the victory fanfare still play?

These are the questions.

If a monster is killed in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does the victory fanfare still play?

914251be389f0a17257ebc496e5022907b0ade4.gif

PKrockin

More like no two people can agree on what a JRPG is

Hell, let's not even be that specific, no two people can agree on what a "Role-Playing Game" is. Is it XP? Is it turns? Is it fashion sense? Is it a focus on storytelling? Swords or guns? And where do gunswords fall into this? Can it be skill-based or is all number-crunching? If I don't kill nonsensical monsters throughout the game, is it still a RPG? If a monster is killed in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does the victory fanfare still play?

These are the questions.

I think everyone can agree that Tales of Vesperia, Bowser's Inside Story, The World Ends with You, and Radiant Historia are RPGs and just based off those the genre obviously isn't dead.

But, yeah, we need to define our genres in a more reasonable way. Funny that we make the meaningless distinction between between first and third person shooter, yet genres like RPG and Adventure are still so broad and undefined.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, the definition of the RPG is always going to be different from person to person. It's not going to be simple D&D progression, skill progression, and number crunching like it used to be for me. I mean, that's what RPGs are to me. I don't think a lot of people are going to agree, though. I think I'd criticized an RPG recently for not giving me a sense of proper progression, and that's the sort of thing I look for in an RPG.

More people seem to lean on the "RPG as a storyteller" notion, which is something I don't necessarily subscribe to, and simply see as a bonus. What came first, number crunching or story? Number crunching from PnP RPGs, Temple of Apshai and Akalabeth: World of Doom. Storytelling came from the evolution of console RPGs as opposed to the genre that started on PCs. Eastern-developed RPG have traditionally been more focused on the narrative than the western-developed RPG, simply because of how they evolved (with western-styled RPGs adhering more to its Tolkien-esque roots and its tabletop/PnP roots in terms of number crunching and skill progression).

There's a ton of genre-bleeding in more recent RPGs, too (especially when you take into account games like Mass Effect), so sometimes it's hard to tell what is purely an RPG and what's a game with RPG elements. The genre's just changed a lot to incorporate aspects of different genres and games that make a lot of money or they want to try to include a few things that may not be pleasant to traditional audiences to bring in an even larger audience by taking elements from other genres. That's the state of the industry, though.

Basically, I just look at three games in order to tell me what an RPG is: Ultima, Wizardry, and Dragon Quest. Those games were about exploration, skill progression, number-crunching and getting things done for other people while getting your main quest done. To be fair, though, I was raised on those. I played D&D back in high school, so of course the D&D elements are important to me.

Traditionally, Final Fantasy has seemed to have set the tone for the new RPG design of that era. It used to be Dragon Quest way back in the day, but the shift to Final Fantasy happened when FF7's popularity exploded worldwide. And since then, people try to emulate the game design of the FF that's recently released.

FF7 set the tone for PS1 RPGs, generally (and you can see it in Shadow Madness's design or LoD, for example), or was the reason why that genre exploded more than it did on the SNES. FF10 set the tone for larger-budget PS2 RPGs back in that era in terms of RPGs' reliance on cinematography and spoken dialogue.

And my fear was that FF13 would set the tone for PS3 RPGs. First off, it came out halfway through the generation. I get the feeling that some people like to see how and what the first FF on a system would do and then follow suit in terms of their own game design. But given the general backlash against that game, and how some companies feel the need to say that they need to save the genre like imageepoch does, I guess some people just decided to do their own thing. I mean, I dropped RPGs for a year after playing FF13 in late 2009 because I felt that people would try to emulate that game's general game design, and luckily people decided to do their own thing. Further, FF13 seemed to adhere to "me too!" design itself. You can see it in the prologue stage and general dungeon design where you're running to the next cutscene, or the next checkpoint... or when you're running along the platform, something cinematic's happening in the background. FF13-2 took this same concept and tried to throw everything into its game structure including the kitchen sink so it could try to appeal to many different RPG players with its "me too!" design.

Essentially, instead of leading the pack this generation, FF fell into a rut where it actually followed other people's designs. That's why people are feeling perturbed. With that said, I'm glad people aren't trying to emulate FF13/13-2's design. Because that's less-than-stellar design.

Pietepiet

I kinda figured you'd have an issue with the sprites because they really don't seem unique from each other, and they had so much time and so many tools to actually put some decent effort into it, but they didn't. They just ended up being Banpresto about it.

This seems to be a common problem with more Japanese developers lately. Pokémon Black & White were pretty bad too, and so are the map sprites in Fire Emblem.

They really should just hire a bunch of us freelancers to do this for them. We'd probably be faster too :p

Noi

Thanks to Shadow Hog I have a great time in a pinball/arcade time machine and bought some great PS1 games next door, including Breath of Fire 3 complete for $25.

Thanks SH~

Thanks to Shadow Hog I found a great deal on all the Turrican games, including the best one: Turrican 2

he's awesome and probably quite handsome <3

That's everyday.

I love you qq

Well I mean as much as some guy on the internet with a silly username can love someone else

Which ain't much

Blueblur1

Sonic Lost World playable to the public this weekend:

Nintendo bringing Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and others to Comic-Con

Nintendo is bringing Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and a handful of other Wii U and 3DS games to Comic-Con International this weekend, as well as to a special gaming lounge adjacent to the convention that will be open to the general public, the company announced today.

Nintendo's show floor booth in the San Diego Convention Center will focus largely on upcoming Wii U title Pikmin 3, with kiosks set up for hands-on demos.

Those without a Comic-Con badge can still gets hands-on time with a number of Nintendo games in the Nintendo Gaming Lounge, a public gaming space set up in the San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina hotel next to the convention center. Playable titles include:

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (3DS)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Disney Infinity (Wii U)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
Just Dance 2014 (Wii U)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (3DS)
Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Wii U)
New Super Luigi U (Wii U)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
Rayman Legends (Wii U)
Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)
Skylanders SWAP Force (Wii U)
Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS)
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
The Wonderful 101 (Wii U)
Yoshi's New Island (3DS)

At both locations, Nintendo will hold a number of special events to commemorate the Year of Luigi and give out The Wonderful 101 character masks and special Luigi-themed items. Fans who dress like The Wonderful 101 characters will also be entered into a drawing to win a Wii U console and copy of the game when it launches Sept. 15.

Nintendo will also set up a Pokemon-themed area in the Nintendo Gaming Lounge for trainers interested in learning more about Pokemon X and Y.

Comic-Con International: San Diego will take place this weekend. Polygon will be in attendance providing coverage of the show.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/15/45...n-3-the-wonderful-101-and-others-to-comic-con

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom