• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eathbound and Shantae on the same day. Virtual Console goin' for the secondary market's throat.
Seriously. I know what I'm buying today.

Although I'll probably refrain from actually playing VC Earthbound, since I'm still working through my cart copy. As I mentioned elsewhere, beat Moonside (what was that), working on monkey maze. A little awkward, though, because I have to keep swapping power/video cables with my new-ish N64 for now...

And now Earthbound is rated T.

It was rated E five years ago, for the Wii VC release that never was. What bumped the rating up? From what I've seen, it's E-10+ at worst...
Giygas is creepy, but if creepy were a rating changer, then clearly Kirby should be T-rated, too.

Well Earthbound is one of those games that's a lot more mature than it seems at a glance so I can kind of buy it.

I mean if Persona 4 can be rated M earthbound can be rated T.

Deadly Premonition is on Greenlight.

I have no idea why I upvoted it, I don't even really know what the game is, just that it's quirky and people in here like it.

I remember when Majora's Mask came out again on Wii VC and it got re-classified as a 12.
I'd have argued for a 16, to be honest. It's just lacking the necessary gore.

Noi

I'd argue that getting rated M is more detrimental to poor sales for AA5 in the west than being digital only, but more so combined.

Yeah, I never imagined the AA crowd (because let's face it, that's the only people who are gonna buy Dual Destinies) would be split too badly by an ESRB rating. Besides, Capcom's treatment of the series has aged all the fans by 20 years anyway

Noi

Why? AA was never a younger focused series.

Not too complicated. It's the same reason why stuff like Namco's censorship of scenes in the Xenosaga to get a lower rating in the west happened: getting an M rating makes it a harder sell for younger folks because of how restrictive the US is about "minors" having access to them. If Capcom expects AA5 to do "as well" as it's previous entries while being digital only, it's in their best interest to have /less/ barriers of entry, not more. I still remember the e-shop locking me out of downloading the Lords of Shadow demo just because I messed up the age entry by one digit.

Of course, the M rating also means that they can do more adult theme-wise and get away with it without censorship, which is good, but makes me wonder just what their sales expectations are for AA5 here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think they have that high of expectations at all.

But all the goddamn pushing of her on Square Enix's part is making it impossible to dodge Lightning.
I still stand by what I'd written in this post in the past.

Lightning seemed to have been written for an audience that includes myself: an older, protective sister in a field that's generally male-dominated. But I never related to her, never resonated with her, because there was no personality to resonate with... and whatever was there, I simply found one-dimensional. Mind you, I was 21 at the time when I'd played FF13, and I couldn't help but to feel that Lightning behaved like an immature brat despite being the same age as me. It irritated me to no end sometimes.

BlackJace

Not too complicated. It's the same reason why stuff like Namco's censorship of scenes in the Xenosaga to get a lower rating in the west happened: getting an M rating makes it a harder sell for younger folks because of how restrictive the US is about "minors" having access to them. If Capcom expects AA5 to do "as well" as it's previous entries while being digital only, it's in their best interest to have /less/ barriers of entry, not more. I still remember the e-shop locking me out of downloading the Lords of Shadow demo just because I messed up the age entry by one digit.

Of course, the M rating also means that they can do more adult theme-wise and get away with it without censorship, which is good, but makes me wonder just what their sales expectations are for AA5 here.

I see. I don't think they expect much.
Does anyone even see another AA after this?

BlackJace

In Japan? Yeah, I can see the series continuing.

I expect Dual Destinies to be the last Ace Attorney game released outside of Japan, barring some sort of divine intervention.

It's scary. I don't know what we can do to show Capcom we want the series. Each entry has sold enough to warrant another, right?

It's scary. I don't know what we can do to show Capcom we want the series. Each entry has sold enough to warrant another, right?

There isn't much aside from buying AA5, and the whole digital only situation showed that some people have already made a firm decision not to buy it.

They'll release a paid demo for AA6 to gauge interest in the west.

You know where I'm going with this.

Man, it sucked when it happened to Legends 3, but I would absolutely lose my shit if it happened to an AA game. I'd probably end up getting myself banned from GAF, haha.

I take it as "what the heck is wrong with this industry where you need multimillion-sellers to break even".

I know that figure is probably a lot lower for Ace Attorney, but seriously, it's getting way out of hand.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
With a grain of salt. I've resigned myself to saying that one hand simply doesn't seem to want to talk to the other hand when it comes to Capcom. I've said it before, but the whole thing just reminds me of SoA / SoJ back in the 1990s/2000s.

Um. I learned something today. The OG GBA didn't have an AC adapter jack. Why didn't I realize this when I was younger? I guess it's because I barely played the thing. And I play my GBA games on my DS Lite. Hm. Weird. I had to scour the French manual to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I'm not sure how you didn't realize it, but I guess we had different paths wrt the GBA. I ran the console's entire lifespan on an old Arctic Blue GBA, complete with broken battery cover (blegh). Rechargeable AAs were a regular mainstay of my unit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just decided to say, "Hey, I'll play this Tales game I got in the mail with the OG GBA!" I tried to look for an adapter and an appropriate jack on the thing and I got confused.

Like I said in the past, I think I played THPS2 and Circle of the Moon before calling it quits for most newer video games for a few years to concentrate on school and extracurriculars and other stuff. I don't really think I paid much attention to the hardware, and I only started playing catch up in 2006, but by then I had a DS Lite to use GBA carts with. So I really don't remember the OG GBA hardware at all outside of the fact that I got the Glacier model.

My GBC has a broken battery cover, which I'd taped back on. I must've dropped that thing dozens of times but for some reason it ain't broken.

The SP+ was much better.

Makes me that much more disappointed that mine has a large chunk of the shell missing. Wonder if I should track down an as-is, broken, for-parts GBA SP off of eBay and attempt a transplant.

I remember when Majora's Mask came out again on Wii VC and it got re-classified as a 12.
I'd have argued for a 16, to be honest. It's just lacking the necessary gore.

Nah man, the kids need to learn how to handle the weight of impending demise and see what the threat of impending death those to everyday people.

It builds character!

I'm serious.

I still have my Turquoise Game Boy Color, complete with missing battery cover, and speakers that don't work anymore. I'm surprised the thing still works, honestly.

I definitely need to get the SP+ one of these days, though. My old SP seems to be on it's last legs.

I want to get that NES GBASP and get it modded with the proper backlight because that thing is sooooooo freaking awesome. Bought it when it first came out and that thing provided me with plenty of entertainment on the light rail when I was going to college...

SvVk3A2.png

iNzXfX0s2nVoY.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Couldn't resist, and started SMT4 a little bit since everyone is talking about it. I'll put it down after this, but damn, the music's sooo goooooood. I remember a few importers saying the game got creepy as hell in some spots, and I'm definitely looking forward to that, since SMT1/SMT2 made me feel that way.

With that said, man, I wish this game had more animation going on. Like, character model animation (and I'm starting to miss Persona 4 Golden's additions to the character portraits). And sometimes I wish I had an R-stick to rotate the camera with as opposed to using L/R like I did with the PSP.

Now I feel like I should've replayed Shin Megami Tensei 1 before playing this, because I'm certainly starting to feel a little nostalgic for that game.

There's a whole bunch of memories flooding back.

sogood.gif
Apparently I bailed out of playing THPS / X-Games games at the right time, but man, THPS was the shit back then. Not just for the music included, either.

Team Wonderful
Maybe you're going to get the Viewiful Joe sequel you've always wanted.

...in a spiritual successor sort of deal. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom