• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys I just wrote far too much about Monster World III (aka Wonder Boy in Monster World aka Wonder Boy V) and its dumb dumb ending just in case that seems like a thing you want to read

Are there any problems with the Steam version of Sonic 3 + Knuckles? I kinda wanna buy it, but not if there's something wrong with it.

It's Backbone, but I heard it's OK? The RunButton guys seemed to like it. No complaints. I don't think we're getting a Retro Engine version, anyway.

Jazzem

Sonic Rivals 1 and 2 are discounted £3.69 each on the EU PSN store...worth a punt? I would be going in with moderate expectations :p

Nert

Well, I can see where you all are coming from now when you retreat back here after an exhausting foray into the Gaming forum. The Tropes vs. Women thread has gone all of the way down the conspiracy hole and I need a break.

Conspiracy Theorist said:
1.) You build controversy
2.) Set low "donation" on service
3.)Build up more controversy and try to play the victim (not women, but womAN; singular, she was the victim trying to be silenced by these people)
4.) $$$$$$

grampva.png

That ending sounds amazing.

Groove evening SonicGAF

I beat Risingance. Reeeally fun game. Even just little things like the ninja run, flippin' around over shit, is fun. I'm a bit mixed on the final boss; the lead-up and music and stuff were amazing, and it was pretty fun at the times when the game and I clicked, but when we didn't it was a frustrating piece of shit. Failing a Blade Mode bit that does enough damage to kill you when the boss only has 11% health left arghfgdghdgffd. This is a quality piece of video entertainment and you should consider exchanging your currency for it if you have not already done so. I enjoyed the time I spent with it and intend on doing so again in the future.

ThSiW3M.jpg

NANOMACHINES, SON

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm this close to pulling out the cash to buy some sort of capture equipment so I can stream Japanese Tales games since people keep asking about how Xillia plays.

But like... why even bother...

When does the Blue Bomber and Blue Blur's crossover start?
April.

Well, I can see where you all are coming from now when you retreat back here after an exhausting foray into the Gaming forum. The Tropes vs. Women thread has gone all of the way down the conspiracy hole and I need a break
I used to feel a desire to post in those threads and then I realized that posting in them would just make me incredibly unhappy and annoyed and ticked off.

Forget about it.

Now that is what a call an OP! Gosh darn, great job, man! I'll read more of it when I finish up my run this evening, but I'm impressed.

tiggerkiddo said:
I hate fruit juice so much.
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Sciz said:
And here I thought you'd never leave the dark side.
Do... do I get a free cookie?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I'm gonna stop participating in Tales threads, just to see what they'll be like as a spectator. If I let out how I feel about Xillia's gameplay systems and bits of its narrative in there, it'll be perceived as negative, so I'll run this experiment for a while.

NO... YOU WIN DEATH

*pretends to shoot lasers from eyes*

pew

pew pew pewwwwww

booom

pewwwwwwwwww
Little did you realize that you actually shot lasers at yourself somehow!

YOU ARE NOT A ROBOT, QQ.

Something, something, overseas sales destroyer Schala.

I'd sooner pick back up Graces than try Xillia, watching that bit of footage from the thread made me think, Vesperia looked like it was exploding with Colour and had a bit of unique style to it even if the visuals aren't that strong technically but Xillia while not having bad visuals by any stretch looks quite a bit more drab by comparison if that makes any sense, basically I want my colour explosion in the crayon factory.

After playing quite a bit of a friend's imported copy, I'm not really looking forward to the English release of Xillia all that much. The combat's kinda fun, but still feels like a bit of a step back from Graces (Though the Link Arte stuff is interesting, I guess) and it doesn't seem as full of color and life as say... Vesperia. I'll still probably pick it up to support the series and such, but I'm still decidedly "meh" on the game.

I'm told the plot is decent, but I don't really care about plot in Tales games, so...

I bought Tales of Graces f for the PS3 but I never opened it and eventually sold it but I figure I'll play one of the Tales games on day.

My friend told me about Tales of...IDK, the one with Yuri in it. He said the battle system is so good, but dear God in heaven it's like every shonen anime trope and cliche done with zero irony or self-awareness. My goodness.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who knows, maybe you'll like it more, Seven Force.

Something, something, overseas sales destroyer Schala.

I'd sooner pick back up Graces than try Xillia, watching that bit of footage from the thread made me think, Vesperia looked like it was exploding with Colour and had a bit of unique style to it even if the visuals aren't that strong technically but Xillia while not having bad visuals by any stretch looks quite a bit more drab by comparison if that makes any sense, basically I want my colour explosion in the crayon factory.
That's because for the first part of the game, the scenery is drenched in sepia. And then a few of the environments are drab and lack abundant colour. But that kinda continues throughout the game. Sometimes you'll go through the same areas again with certain filters (usually happens in Milla's side or the EX Dungeon). That's kinda why I don't really like Xillia 2's repetition very much.

Oddly, my favourite bits of the game, design-wise, were the snowy areas, despite having a samey kind of colour scheme. To Xillia's credit, the character animations and cutscenes are better than any Tales games before it.

Yes, my negativity is going to destroy overseas sales for Xillia. Yuuuuuuuuppppppppppp.

My friend told me about Tales of...IDK, the one with Yuri in it. He said the battle system is so good, but dear God in heaven it's like every shonen anime trope and cliche done with zero irony or self-awareness. My goodness.
That's what Tales is! It's basically a playable anime game. More tropes than your standard game.

Heropon

The only Tales of... game I've finished was Tales of the Abyss. It was a good experience, I even replayed it! But don't ask me to play in any difficulty higher than normal.

Goddamn, I forgot I put in 427 hours into Advance Wars DS. I must have played that game non stop back then.

I thought I put many hours in that game, but the timer says that I've only played 50 hours. I swear it felt like more.

To think that of the ones I played that one was significantly less trope filled, of course it was filled with tons anyway, at least Yuri tries to save the protagonist spot from being the same old JRPG special.
They should call the next entry Tales of Tropes.

That's because for the first part of the game, the scenery is drenched in sepia. And then a few of the environments are drab and lack abundant colour. But that kinda continues throughout the game. Sometimes you'll go through the same areas again with certain filters (usually happens in Milla's side or the EX Dungeon). That's kinda why I don't really like Xillia 2's repetition very much.

Oddly, my favourite bits of the game, design-wise, were the snowy areas, despite having a samey kind of colour scheme. To Xillia's credit, the character animations and cutscenes are better than any Tales games before it.

Yes, my negativity is going to destroy overseas sales for Xillia. Yuuuuuuuuppppppppppp.
Nothing beats those old Symphonia and Abyss cutscene animations and you know it!

"I will stop you bad man!"
*runs over to bad man*
*stops*
*awkwardly swings sword*
*bad man awkwardly jumps back*
*odd moment of silence and stillness*
"ARGH!" says the bad man

Why is iTunes awful? :eek:
It requires QuickTime, which is an obtrusive, intrusive piece of shit that barges its way into my web browser and demands I use it to play any and every media file I encounter along the way, instead of letting the browser ask me what I want to do with it. Worse yet, it's a popular piece of shit that people can't get enough of because based Apple can do no wrong.

TheOGB

Banned
It's a memory hog, it's slow and there are many more reasons but I'm on a phone and can't say much.
It requires QuickTime, which is an obtrusive, intrusive piece of shit that barges its way into my web browser and demands I use it to play any and every media file I encounter along the way, instead of letting the browser ask me what I want to do with it. Worse yet, it's a popular piece of shit that people can't get enough of because based Apple can do no wrong.
5P9rV.gif

I will say, though, I like having Quicktime play files in my browser so I can get a quick preview before I save it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So last night, I ended up trying out a no-death run in Mega Man 10 to get the Invincible trophy, the Whomp Wily trophy and the one trophy for no continues in one fell-swoop on my NA account for PSN. The night before was a regular ol' Mega Man run to see if I was good at the regular stages again.

Tonight was when I tried out Bass which is basically Easy Mode because he's OP. Easy to take everything out with just your defaults (and dodge everything while you're at it). Everything was going peachy until the Wily Castle when I started to reset repeatedly because I didn't want to die. I think the death in the elevator bits in Wily 3 completely got me and messed me up. And if anyone tells you I got mad and started swearing and feeling disappointed when I started to crash and burn and started dying in the Wily stages that I could actually do well in... well... they're right. That was pretty awful.

Though I have to admit that I came out of that liking MM10 more than I had previously, just like with MM4 when I played the Complete Works version. I'm still more fond of MM9, but MM10 does some bits better than MM9 and vice-versa. They're both really great games.

Nothing beats those old Symphonia and Abyss cutscene animations and you know it!

"I will stop you bad man!"
*runs over to bad man*
*stops*
*awkwardly swings sword*
*bad man awkwardly jumps back*
*odd moment of silence and stillness*
"ARGH!" says the bad man
So effing true. Amazing.

That's it. Every single Tales games from here on out should have every character named after Mega Man Robot Masters. This is the only way I will enjoy the games now. This is the only way to ensure their success in the west. Especially if they incorporate the western Mega Man artstyle.

Hire me, Namco. I will make you moneys.

EDIT: No wait, even better. Namco should take their naming cues from Secret of the Stars:

5-secretofthestarsu_0r8kqh.png
8-secret_of_the_stars75j5i.png
29-secretofthestarsu_47jzv.png
7-secretofthestarsu_09yj1c.png

I was hoping they'd make the stages with, like, better level design.

Welp, I beat FF13. I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Maybe I should write up more about it.
If you wanted to know, when prompted to give it a numerical score, I gave it a 6. I did end up writing a review for it, though I posted it on my Facebook where no one can read it. :D

I think I ended up, after finishing FF13-2, bumping the FF13 score up to 6.3-6.5. That's how much worse FF13-2 was for me.

(I destroyed the game completely in said review.)

BlackJace

It's quite a feat to make a game that was worse than XIII, but SE did it. Sure they fixed things, but then they added arguably more frustrating things.

Quackula

EDIT: No wait, even better. Namco should take their naming cues from Secret of the Stars:

That second one reminds me of that bit in Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

"This is White Snow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow. (Note: This is what happens when you do a direct translation.)"

I don't care how many liberties they took, I love the goofy stuff that Working Designs put into their translations.

GAMERG0D

I'm going to be playing some Pokemon XD on my Gamecube...
Maybe I should play Sonic Heroes too. Why does it seem that a lot of people on GAF dislike Heroes?

It seems I am destined to install Sonic Heroes on my comp every few years, play the first two levels, and stop for some reason or other. I really need to finish these things *sigh*

So last night, I ended up trying out a no-death run in Mega Man 10 to get the Invincible trophy, the Whomp Wily trophy and the one trophy for no continues in one fell-swoop on my NA account for PSN. The night before was a regular ol' Mega Man run to see if I was good at the regular stages again.

Tonight was when I tried out Bass which is basically Easy Mode because he's OP. Easy to take everything out with just your defaults (and dodge everything while you're at it). Everything was going peachy until the Wily Castle when I started to reset repeatedly because I didn't want to die. I think the death in the elevator bits in Wily 3 completely got me and messed me up. And if anyone tells you I got mad and started swearing and feeling disappointed when I started to crash and burn and started dying in the Wily stages that I could actually do well in... well... they're right. That was pretty awful.
Though I have to admit that I came out of that liking MM10 more than I had previously, just like with MM4 when I played the Complete Works version. I'm still more fond of MM9, but MM10 does some bits better than MM9 and vice-versa. They're both really great games.

I tried to simply replay MM9 and MM10 for that one anniversary thread last year, in both cases the Wily Castles that I had once conquered beat me down until I had to quit out of sheer exasperation.
I think it was Wily 3 in both cases that broke me, that bloody anti gravity bit with the grabber bots in MM9 does my nut, after finally getting past that the blob devils turned up and I just can't deal with those battles anymore, battles of attrition and long pattern memorization. In my shame I just like playing through the RM stages and then quitting when the castle stages show up.

If it makes you feel any better I also had to let out gaming anguish yesterday as well for the first time in a while.

So effing true. Amazing.

That's it. Every single Tales games from here on out should have every character named after Mega Man Robot Masters. This is the only way I will enjoy the games now. This is the only way to ensure their success in the west. Especially if they incorporate the western Mega Man artstyle.

Hire me, Namco. I will make you moneys.

BADBAD HOUSE!

Tales characters with RM style names you say? might as well head to tv tropes and use their various trope names for characters.

qq more

That second one reminds me of that bit in Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

"This is White Snow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow. (Note: This is what happens when you do a direct translation.)"

I don't care how many liberties they took, I love the goofy stuff that Working Designs put into their translations.

The fact the note is even part of the dialog is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom