• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
"This is White Snow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow. (Note: This is what happens when you do a direct translation.)"

I don't care how many liberties they took, I love the goofy stuff that Working Designs put into their translations.

It's a Nippon Ichi game, so it may not have been entirely out of place...

Quackula

Maybe. It certainly works perfectly in Popful Mail.

I know that people aren't too fond of how silly and jokey they made Albert Odyssey, but honestly the jokiness is what makes me want to play it. (Well that, and the fact that the composer is the same guy who did a lot of Sunsoft's awesome NES music)

Dario ff

Banned
Gamecube games are so blurry... Dolphin must be a godsend.

A PS3 emulator will be the biggest screenshot fodder ever.
idB5QkbU9w7X4.png

Taking some PR stuff for my ModDB page... I'm dead on that screenshot.

I always feel bad about those Sonic Unleashed background/stage designers. Spend so much time on getting those cracks on that adobe hut there, and nobody will ever see it because WHOOOO

GO

GO

WHOOOO

I can see the meetings now

"this game is too damn short, what the hell?"

"Well...it took a hour to design. I thought it take a hour to play! Uh, quick, let's do some Werehog bullshit so we can re-use these assets, and uh, collectibles? Yeah, collectibles!"

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A PS3 emulator will be the biggest screenshot fodder ever.

Taking some PR stuff for my ModDB page... I'm dead on that screenshot.
Looks so much better. I'm really eager to see what the endproduct's like! I may not be able to play it because I can't run it on this thing, but I'm so excited for its release~

You all did a fantastic job on this so far from what I've seen. Everyone should be proud.

That's true.

Man, I don't get along with a lot of NIS games and games that NISA publishes. I dunno why. Sometimes it's because I don't like their games' mechanics, sometimes I don't really care for the dialogue or characters, sometimes I just find them boring, or sometimes I find them too niche even for me.

There are certainly some games that they've published that I genuinely like, but then there are a lot of them that I tire of early, or I just plain don't like at all.

I tried to simply replay MM9 and MM10 for that one anniversary thread last year, in both cases the Wily Castles that I had once conquered beat me down until I had to quit out of sheer exasperation.
I think it was Wily 3 in both cases that broke me, that bloody anti gravity bit with the grabber bots in MM9 does my nut, after finally getting past that the blob devils turned up and I just can't deal with those battles anymore, battles of attrition and long pattern memorization. In my shame I just like playing through the RM stages and then quitting when the castle stages show up.

If it makes you feel any better I also had to let out gaming anguish yesterday as well for the first time in a while.
Well, I can do the Wily Castles if I let myself die. It's not the bosses that kill me, because I generally do well with those. It's the spike-laden journey to them. Like the second elevator in Wily 3 that destroyed me last night. A Met hit me into some spikes and that wasn't very nice. Now if I were going after the Mr. Perfect trophy, I'd go insane.

I can do MM9's castles pretty well if I don't have a no-death run sort of thing hanging over my head. Weird how I can actually do those well. But overall, if they don't eff them up, I genuinely like the Wily stages. I think they're pretty fun at times. If they don't make me mad like MM10's Wily 3 did last night, lol.

BADBAD HOUSE!

Tales characters with RM style names you say? might as well head to tv tropes and use their various trope names for characters.
Sword Man (wait, that's already a thing)
Ruins Woman
Moe Woman
Old Man (age 24+)
Axe Girl

I dunno.

Haha, I actually did start a playthrough for Secret of the Stars, eh? That was back when I was planning to make an LP / RTTP thread for it, but then I decided I was too shy for that and that sort of thing might be frowned upon. I ended up taking a lot of shots.

IkEZ2Ys.png
aahslzX.png
nrXUJoo.png
lnCONHa.png

BEST DIALOGUE.

That second one reminds me of that bit in Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

"This is White Snow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow. (Note: This is what happens when you do a direct translation.)"

I don't care how many liberties they took, I love the goofy stuff that Working Designs put into their translations.
I love Woolseyisms like that. Sometimes WD went really overboard with their localizations, but other times, like in Arc the Lad, they're pretty spot-on in terms of tone (and can sometimes be better).

I played both the old version of Rhapsody and the DS version, and neither game is very good. I don't like them very much at all. Weird, eh? Since they're kinda geared to females, I suspect.

It's quite a feat to make a game that was worse than XIII, but SE did it. Sure they fixed things, but then they added arguably more frustrating things.
Not necessarily more frustrating, but more mindless. As I'd said in the FF13-2 OT to another poster (and I cut down the text a bit to make it less of a wall of text but it's still totally a wall of text):

I'll see. I'm not ready to revisit this game. I don't really know if I want to since I feel like I'm done. Given that I felt it was rather middle-of-the-road like its sister game, and given that I don't really remember a lot of stuff from it despite completing it a month ago, I don't really think I enjoyed it that much even though I was content with a few things.

That's exactly what I disliked about this game. If anything, it wasn't the narrative or the ending that irritated me--it was the damned ease, lack of balancing, and the lack of support that the game's difficulty gave to CSB 1.5.

I know my playstyle is generally different from some people's, but... If I can make it through this game with two characters alone (outside of one part), there is something absolutely wrong here.

In Final Fantasy XIII, the balance that the game's late-postgame battles and Barthandelus battles showed us why CSB might actually be a nice system. I don't like CSB too much, but the late-postgame battles in FFXIII were a good showcase and final exam in all of the mechanics you should have been practicing so far (ex: looking at enemy animations to know when to switch, equipping certain items to down bosses and enemies faster like the RIC ability, making different Optimae in order to get battles done quickly and efficiently with 5-star rankings across the board for missions or for better drops, etc). The difficulty makes the system work and it forces the player to experiment with different jobs and different characters to suit their strategies and playstyle. Final Fantasy XIII forced you to use all of the jobs at your disposal, craft Optimae that work and execute them in an efficient manner. You needed to buff. You needed to debuff. You needed to defend. You needed to heal, and while doing that, you need to make sure the Break Gauge isn't decreasing rapidly, and you need to maintain it with Blasters and Attackers while making sure that your buffs and debuffs aren't running out so that the enemy isn't straight-up destroying you. And while doing that you want to synchronize animation speeds of the characters so that you're efficiently getting the job done in late-postgame. The increased difficulty and tactics I had to employ to finish battles during my platinum run is the sort of thing that made me look at FFXIII in a more positive light. CSB is supported better by harder battles. Easier battles feel rather boring by comparison because you aren't using CSB to its fullest potential.

If you've gotten the plat in FFXIII, you'll know that the last boss of the Titan's Trials is a bit of a jerk if you don't have a Defender, or the final mission is difficult if you're not using the Poison cheat. Or if you've beaten a Gui, you'll know that you should watch for animations, switch to a tri-defender Optima whenever it looks like it's starting to animate to attack you, time your daze spells with party members' attacks, buff your party members, etc. FFXIII-2 has watered-down versions of these battles which feel dissatisfying and unfulfilling because you're loosely employing some of these tactics to get through the battle because they're generally much easier than the original versions.

People are generally getting through FFXIII-2 with easier Optimae, lacking the former essentials like Enhancers and Defenders because they don't need them. Bosses and enemies don't hit that hard, so these jobs are kind of gimped... It just feels like CSB is getting wasted this time. Watered-down difficulty was certainly not something I expected from this game, especially given that we got Blood Damage (which I thought would add to the difficulty, but it felt like a non-issue)...

(continued in quoted post)

It says something when I say that my favourite thing about FF13-2 months later were the DLC battles, thanks to Noi. That means that I didn't like the overall base game--the thing they sold to me at full-price. I know a lot of people love FF13-2, and like it more than its predecessor, but I am not among that group. FF13-2 didn't satisfy me, nor did it give me what I wanted, so I should be allowed to say that I didn't like what the game offered me. And I should be allowed to say that I liked the prequel better than the sequel.

I am not rewarding Square Enix's bullshit by buying Lightning Returns for full-price. I refuse to. I am not getting that game at launch. I don't like what I see, and it doesn't seem like Square Enix has learned from their misdirections in game design, art direction, battle balancing, battle tactics, and micromangement in the previous two titles.

Do I sound jaded? Sure.

But can you blame me for feeling that way?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, I couldn't resist ranting. The mere mention of SE puts me in a bad mood quite often. Though speaking of Square Enix and Batman, I should probably get Arkham Asylum and 10/10 - GameInformer one of these days.

You should change your user name to Jaded Schala.
That seems like it'd be a fitting tag.
KuGsj.gif

Change your name by deed poll to Jade Whateveryoursurnameis.
Lord, no. I kinda like my name (well, the short version of it).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always wondered how we could get tags...
Either you make a huge discovery or do something great (ex: Durante's Dark Souls fix or when Trike ... like... did what he did to Miiverse), or you say something incredibly stupid or make a dumb thread (ex: half of the tags in OT). Or you can have a certain trait (ex: jett or Derrick's tags) or a love for a game series that's incredibly noticeable.

If you do something like that and get noticed, you'll probably get a tag. Tag fishing is probably not the best thing you can do considering Eggman tried it several times and got banned for it.

tl;dr version? Do not fish for tags.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Or you could participate in bish's rare threads where he hands out tags just because. There was one a few months ago, and that's where some people got tags outta nowhere.

I always gathered sports threads were an easy way to get a tag. Again, probably because of bish's presence.

JC, I explicitly requested that I don't get that tag :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, sports threads are typically the ones that hand out tags.

I try to keep my posts to the point. I want a tag, but I suppose its something that just happens whether you want it to or not.
You don't want to be like a few posters who've gotten multiple tags in a short amount of time (ex: one person in particular on gaming side-- I think he's had two just for saying things he does (ex: Motomu Toriyama's #1 fan, some nonsense about how he doesn't like Western-developed games, etc.). Just continue posting the way you want.

I assume that if I've had a tag, people would pay less attention to what I say. I don't mind being not tagged, tbh. I think it's better this way.

Sword Man (wait, that's already a thing)
Ruins Woman
Moe Woman
Old Man (age 24+)
Axe Girl

I dunno.

Haha, I actually did start a playthrough for Secret of the Stars, eh? That was back when I was planning to make an LP / RTTP thread for it, but then I decided I was too shy for that and that sort of thing might be frowned upon. I ended up taking a lot of shots.

http://i.imgur.com/IkEZ2Ys.png[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/aahslzX.png[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nrXUJoo.png[IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lnCONHa.png[IMG]

BEST DIALOGUE. [/QUOTE]
Ruins Woman was one of the best characters in Symphonia!
Lol at Old Man, even more Tales truth there, if it weren't for the few genuinely old people dotted about i'd think those games worked Logan's Run style, well they do for main characters at least.

Best dialogue indeed.

[quote="Hot Coldman, post: 49676859"]I always gathered sports threads were an easy way to get a tag. Again, probably because of bish's presence.[/QUOTE]
Alas Sports Entertainment doesn't fall under the same umbrella.

BlackJace

Yeah, sports threads are typically the ones that hand out tags.

You don't want to be like a few posters who've gotten multiple tags in a short amount of time (ex: one person in particular on gaming side-- I think he's had two just for saying things he does (ex: Motomu Toriyama's #1 fan, some nonsense about how he doesn't like Western-developed games, etc.). Just continue posting the way you want.

I assume that if I've had a tag, people would pay less attention to what I say. I don't mind being not tagged, tbh. I think it's better this way.

Very true.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ruins Woman was one of the best characters in Symphonia!
Lol at Old Man, even more Tales truth there, if it weren't for the few genuinely old people dotted about i'd think those games worked Logan's Run style, well they do for main characters at least.
Hahaha, well, the old-old people are generally mages or something, so at least they're kinda stereotypical (Old Magic Man). Short Man (Genis). Whiny Man (Luke).

Alas Sports Entertainment doesn't fall under the same umbrella.
I figured Wrasslin' threads also fell into the same category. I always assumed that's where some GAF members got their tags given their presence in those threads. AnimeGAF also seems to be a decent place to get tagged. Again, places with heavy mod presence would usually be the places that generate tags.

But again, tag-fishing is probably not the best idea.

TheOGB

Banned
I was wondering what kind of tag I would get since I am never in the same place as bish at the same time

i don't watch hockey though

To everyone here with Steam, what's your computer set up? I should be getting a new computer later this week so I want to now what I should get with the budget I may be getting...

BlackJace

To everyone here with Steam, what's your computer set up? I should be getting a new computer later this week so I want to now what I should get with the budget I may be getting...

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition CPU @3.4 Ghz (OC'd to 3.8)
HD Radeon 6850 1GB VRAM GPU (Upgrading soon)
ASUS M4A87TD EVO Motherboard
Razor-something something 4GB RAM (Upgrading soon)
Corsair Builder's Series CX-600 Power Supply
Antec 300 Hundred Series Black Chassis

VertPin

One of our thread participants played the new Sonic Dash, and they said to avoid that one too apparently.

We'll get a real title soon. hopefully.

Watch it be Sonic 4 episode 3. What's funny is that I beat Sonic 4 ep1, but couldn't be bothered to play ep2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom