• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Bubble Shield redeemed via its challenge stage! Lotsa fun bouncing straight through it!

idk what was going on with the Death Egg boss battle. I kept getting smacked around and blown up for like 5 minutes before finally winning somehow? Since it only took a few hits to beat that makes it better then the originals 50 but its still bad!

Speed Highway: neither act reminded me of the real Speed Highway aside from the music. this pretty much seemed like a brand new levels with the SH aesthetic. not bad but I woulda rather had Ice Cap from SA to get some dual Sonic 3/SA lovin'.

City Escape: omg wtf at the GUN truck chase buzzsaws and riding on sides of builds and what! then omg at it tormenting all the way through act 1 WHY

Seaside Hill: fuck you ghost of sonic heroes you are still the worst >_<! first stage I died multiple times in!! and it was all bs deaths like glitching through a solid platform and being thrown into the deep water because a spring messed up, and bad camera angles! that was only act 2! I am so done for tonight!

Sciz

Seaside Hill: fuck you ghost of sonic heroes you are still the worst >_<! first stage I died multiple times in!! and it was all bs deaths like glitching through a solid platform and being thrown into the deep water because a spring messed up, and bad camera angles! that was only act 2! I am so done for tonight!

Seaside Hill Act 2 is the best level in the game by a wiiiiiiide margin, especially if you liked Sky Sanctuary's design. Don't give up on it too easily.

TheOGB

Banned
Finally started playing Sonic: After the Sequel. Somehow it's simultaneously more, less, and exactly what I was expecting. How the hell does that work?

Speed Highway: neither act reminded me of the real Speed Highway aside from the music. this pretty much seemed like a brand new levels with the SH aesthetic. not bad but I woulda rather had Ice Cap from SA to get some dual Sonic 3/SA lovin'.!

A lot of stages in SA1 would have been better than another city-themed stage.

I mean, I liked Speed Highway but it's kinda ridiculous.

PKrockin

Just wait till Schala is a mod. You're all dead.
I could see this happening is she wasn't totally uninterested in posting in Gaming.

Speed Highway: neither act reminded me of the real Speed Highway aside from the music. this pretty much seemed like a brand new levels with the SH aesthetic. not bad but I woulda rather had Ice Cap from SA to get some dual Sonic 3/SA lovin'.
Actually that would have been cool. I do wish we had a Sonic 3 rep. Immediately following up the snowboarding with more boarding in City Escape would have been lame though.

A lot of stages in SA1 would have been better than another city-themed stage.

I mean, I liked Speed Highway but it's kinda ridiculous.
Yeah, the city themes got old. Thank god for Seaside Hill breaking it up a bit.

So I went to this Hyper Japan thing in London earlier, what this means is I got to sample the fruits of very few games as the only fellas turning up to this gig were the odd combo of Nintendo and Namco.

To my disappointment Nintendo decided they would bring just one of their more recently announced upcoming titles to the table and of course chose flippin' Wind Waker out of all of them. So basically guys it's Wind Waker and it looks a tad bit nicer but it didn't really need a graphical overhaul to begin with so whoop de doo, fork over full price please.
I did at least finally get a chance to play The Wonderful 101, unfortunately I had no clue what I was doing with no controls to go by and my brief stint with the game was played to the background of Ready, Steady Go from Wii U Karaoke, maybe it was a sign that Ouendan 3 will exist one day.
Oh and Ace Attorney 5 was there since the 3DS section was actually bolstered by third party stuff, it looks really spiffing and it has a nice sense of depth with the 3D on, otherwise it's simply more Ace Attorney and I will lap it up.

Namco were really going for it with their Tales of Xillia setup which was their big thing, even providing a pair of overly loud headphones that made the shrill screams of battle truly painful. Visually I think this looks worse than Vesperia but the battle system actually seemed pretty snappy and flowed well at any rate, I enjoyed it more than I expected to, still not a Day 1 thing but it's more on my radar than it once was.

An odd jumble of games setup for multiplayer elsewhere led to me losing in shame to my friend on a Street Fighter 2 Turbo cabinet in, Curse Honda's ability to move while performing the hundred hand slap with deft toe movement in this version! though Beef will be happy with my defeat because I was playing as his favourite character Blanka.
Japanese Donkey Konga, unsurprisingly it's basically as painfully mediocre as regular Donkey Konga and reminded me that I was not playing Tropical Freeze.

But the true gem of this journey lies with the Gamecube or more specifically a Gamecube. A four swords setup led me to the most sacred of all treasures, the ORANGE gamecube, I could've have wept as I finally held the beautiful Orange controller in my hands, if only I could have ripped the console from its place and fled with it. But with my Orange powers I rinsed everyone at Shadow Battle mode since i've actually played the game before.

Well that's pretty much my lot on the games front, useless bare minimum impressions from the few "new" games actually on display but at least my friend dragged one bit of info out of our Wonderful 101 experience, Wonder Red kind of double jumps like Viewtiful Joe, he is truly the successor.

I'm taking this to mean you played Shadow the Hedgehog's multiplayer mode.

I'm almost scared to ask if it had some sort of ill fated Multiplayer Mode since that could only be like the worst and most slippery shoot outs known to man, Heroes certainly had its share of half assed modes complete with dreadful framerate so Shadow may well have done so as well especially with the focus on guns.

I do remember using the player 2 controller to play as Maria in some Shadow flashback stage to the Ark in the single player mode, playable Maria is about as exciting as you may expect.

PKrockin

I'm almost scared to ask if it had some sort of ill fated Multiplayer Mode since that could only be like the worst and most slippery shoot outs known to man, Heroes certainly had its share of half assed modes complete with dreadful framerate so Shadow may well have done so as well especially with the focus on guns.

I do remember using the player 2 controller to play as Maria in some Shadow flashback stage to the Ark in the single player mode, playable Maria is about as exciting as you may expect.

Yes... yes, it did have a multiplayer mode... and thanks for reminding me that it exists, because now I have to try it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, you guys are talking about silly stuff. :p

I could see this happening if she wasn't totally uninterested in posting in Gaming.
For the record, I started posting in Gaming again, and apparently people missed me. Part of it is because I just hadn't had the time to post much in Gaming at all, and a buncha other personal stuff.

Seaside Hill gave me a lot of trouble when I'd originally played the game too. Keep at it. And remember to save your boost for water segments since that's what I kept forgetting to do the first time around.

Gotta love how Beef does none of the bossy work around here

who voted for this mothafucka
Beef stole all the votes like Bush did in 2001.

Oh and Ace Attorney 5 was there since the 3DS section was actually bolstered by third party stuff, it looks really spiffing and it has a nice sense of depth with the 3D on, otherwise it's simply more Ace Attorney and I will lap it up.

Namco were really going for it with their Tales of Xillia setup which was their big thing, even providing a pair of overly loud headphones that made the shrill screams of battle truly painful. Visually I think this looks worse than Vesperia but the battle system actually seemed pretty snappy and flowed well at any rate, I enjoyed it more than I expected to, still not a Day 1 thing but it's more on my radar than it once was.
Some people I know who imported AA5 are making it sound like it's the best thing since sliced bread. They also keep linking music that I don't want to listen to yet. >_<

As for Xillia, lol, you caught onto why I don't really like how it looks, right? I kinda got what they were trying to do with it, but it just isn't my style at all. You probably didn't even get to see the areas littered with a sepia palette yet. And yeah, I felt it played better than Vesperia at points, but I really missed Fatal Strikes. Like I said, it's fun to play, but it just has a buncha issues that add up.

PKrockin

Some people I know who imported AA5 are making it sound like it's the best thing since sliced bread. They also keep linking music that I don't want to listen to yet. >_<
Ugh, I know. To me, linking music in an upcoming Ace Attorney game is like linking egregious spoilers. Recently I've been avoiding almost everything to do with an upcoming game I've already decided I'll purchase. The less I know about a game the more fun it is.

I have the PL vs AA soundtrack, but it's Pandora's Box until I play the game.

qq more

I'm in a media blackout for that game. I'll murder anyone that spoils AA5 for me! It's the kind of game where you don't want to hear almost anything until you play it!

Are people really that positive over AA5? I hope it's really really good. AA is one of my favorite franchises of all time, I mean I even loved AAI1 (even though the last stretch of the game sucked)!

PKrockin

I'm in a media blackout for that game. I'll murder anyone that spoils AA5 for me! It's the kind of game where you don't want to hear almost anything until you play it!

Are people really that positive over AA5? I hope it's really really good. AA is one of my favorite franchises of all time, I mean I even loved AAI1 (even though the last stretch of the game sucked)!

Sounds like we've got the concept for AA6.

BlackJace

I hope Level 5 doesn't think that territories outside of Japan will be pacified since we have AA5. I want vs. Professor Layton and AA5.

And don't even get me started on AAI2.

You're telling me QQ works on games??

That is very fast paced for a level but not too crazy either so I think it looks very well done...could use a few more enemies though I think. Just seems a little sparse without a few more.

The AAI2 ship has sailed. I've made my peace with that, and I've long since tired of bitching about it.

Though I have the Japanese understanding of an elementary school kid, I started playing my import copy of AA5. (I imported it so that I'd at least have a physical copy of some sort. Yes, I'm anal about that kind of thing.) It's slow going, but I can actually somewhat follow along. (though having a Kanji dictionary or two on hand is helping a lot) Finished Case 1 and it seems great so far, though I imagine I'll end up getting stuck on the Investigation phases of future cases.

Well I've started playing a game that was once described here on GAF as being "your 2013 game of the year and you just don't know it yet", well we shall see.
2 hours of mostly walking so far, I must hold the Viewtiful ones words from earlier this week in my mind and hold back the snark.

I've succumbed to at least two themes I was linked to, but that's it, no more until release.

I have doubts that it will match the first and third games but I expect it to stack up to the rest, as long as its better than AAI I'll be pleased as punch.

As for Xillia, lol, you caught onto why I don't really like how it looks, right? I kinda got what they were trying to do with it, but it just isn't my style at all. You probably didn't even get to see the areas littered with a sepia palette yet. And yeah, I felt it played better than Vesperia at points, but I really missed Fatal Strikes. Like I said, it's fun to play, but it just has a buncha issues that add up.
Well I think I said as such when they showed one of the earlier trailers, that the colour seems more subdued than Vesperia. Vesperia bursts with sharp colour while Xillia seems to be trying to go for a touch more relaistic look I guess? either way it looks a bit messy, i'd rather they carried on with the Vesperia style look.

Random Tales side note: I was so close to biting on a Symphonia art book I came across earlier today but I curbed my urge for more art books because that stuff is pricey.

Also I can't believe I've never posted these GIFs of my game here. I've been meaning to show some of these stuff off for a while but I keep forgetting:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16312377/Prototype N/lavalevel.gif (12MB GIF warning)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16312377/Prototype N/crystalenemy.gif

The Mega Man influence is strong with this one, I can only imagine that even just a segment of a stage must be an ordeal to make, then again I don't understand heads nor tails of this stuff.
Now i'm left wondering where the top pipe goes.

Why is this first person version of Sonic 1 look more interesting than Lost World?

It's going to be on the top of Media Create next week.

Its power.

Not if Booby Sorceress has anything to say about it!

I hope Level 5 doesn't think that territories outside of Japan will be pacified since we have AA5. I want vs. Professor Layton and AA5.

And don't even get me started on AAI2.

I honestly think that Nintendo will be the one to bring it over.

PKrockin

Also I can't believe I've never posted these GIFs of my game here. I've been meaning to show some of these stuff off for a while but I keep forgetting:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16312377/Prototype N/lavalevel.gif (12MB GIF warning)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16312377/Prototype N/crystalenemy.gif
Looks pretty solid. Did you make this with Game Maker?

The AAI2 ship has sailed. I've made my peace with that, and I've long since tired of bitching about it.

Though I have the Japanese understanding of an elementary school kid, I started playing my import copy of AA5. (I imported it so that I'd at least have a physical copy of some sort. Yes, I'm anal about that kind of thing.) It's slow going, but I can actually somewhat follow along. (though having a Kanji dictionary or two on hand is helping a lot) Finished Case 1 and it seems great so far, though I imagine I'll end up getting stuck on the Investigation phases of future cases.
Wow, props.
:p

qq more

Looks pretty solid. Did you make this with Game Maker?

Close but Multimedia Fusion 2. I can't stand Game Maker personally.

You're telling me QQ works on games??

That is very fast paced for a level but not too crazy either so I think it looks very well done...could use a few more enemies though I think. Just seems a little sparse without a few more.

Are you talking about variety enemy types or the amount of enemy placement?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I heard Beef downloaded the archives and posted them on YouTube. #impeachbeef
Dammit, Beef! You've gone too far! >:|

I can't even look at it for more than a few seconds. It's nauseating. Can't stand it. :/

I honestly think that Nintendo will be the one to bring it over.
Busy with Azran Legacies.

qq more

Because it doesn't.

Forgot to reply to this:

The Mega Man influence is strong with this one, I can only imagine that even just a segment of a stage must be an ordeal to make, then again I don't understand heads nor tails of this stuff.
Now i'm left wondering where the top pipe goes.

It really depends. By the time I worked on that level I already had half of the assets ready. The biggest pain in the butt was programming the pipes perfectly since they were introduced in this stage.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, building up that 2014 lineup by forcing my hand to import a JP 3DS because not a lot of what I want is going to be localized.
Oe2Jsgq.gif

Not if Booby Sorceress has anything to say about it!
I heard both versions of Dragon's Crown is being sold out at a lot of places. Though that's anecdotal evidence, and I have to wonder how many copies were shipped originally.

Noi

Seems like damn near every niche Vita game released in Japan is selling out these days. Didn't Toukiden sell out (or do well) a while back?

I read through the thread about Ni No Kuni being on sale at Best Buy, and so many people were praising it.

I instantly thought of Schala, and how much she would've hated that thread. :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
EDIT: Lightning Lord, stop stealing Quest 64 carts. I know it's your favourite game, but ffs!

72cZbOT.png

It's never too late to hop on the I don't know what the hell I'm reading half the time import 3DS train!
Not gonna lie; my fear is always "Oh shit, what if they develop a Tales game for 3DS that isn't localized? Fuuuuuck!" And then I wonder a little bit why I'm so concerned with Tales of all things since I wasn't always a huge fan of the series prior to this gen.

Regardless, I'm sure there's going to be quite a few RPGs I'd be interested in that might take forever to get localized or won't get localized at all. Real shame. tbh, I was holding out for homebrew, but this is an ok alternative, I suppose.

Seems like damn near every niche Vita game released in Japan is selling out these days. Didn't Toukiden sell out (or do well) a while back?
It did well; took second place. Vita sales also saw a spike that week as well. PSP version sold like 66k or something.

I read through the thread about Ni No Kuni being on sale at Best Buy, and so many people were praising it.

I instantly thought of Schala, and how much she would've hated that thread. :lol
Let me amend: it'll make me sad just because it seems people liked the bells and whistles as opposed to gameplay competency, and adequate flow and pacing.

It did well; took second place. Vita sales also saw a spike that week as well. PSP version sold like 66k or something.

Meanwhile in niche localization land, the Vita is seeing more niche localization than the 3DS. I even think Tecmo announced a localization for Toukiden before it was even realised in Japan.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I think the Vita's going to cement itself as a portable for niche games for now. If anything's going to push the system, it could be an FF like Crisis Core did with the PSP.

Oh. Uh, sorry about that. Won't do that in the future.
As far as I can tell, it's not your fault. Don't worry about it. Keep on keeping on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom