• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't have fondness for Kid Icarus: Uprising like the rest of you.

( ._.)

(It's cuz when I went back to the game for a bit for GotY stuff, I couldn't figure out how I figured out how to play the darn thing with my detrimental left-handed condition and ended up enjoying it less than I did when it originally came out.)

I tried playing Uprising a day or two ago, actually. Couldn't get the hang of the controls and returned it. Worked well enough for the flight sections, but I got as far as Chapter 2 before I realized that getting the hang of the on foot combat just wasn't happening. (And I'm a righty)

It's a shame though. I'm sure the game itself is fantastic.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh yeah, it took a lot of tinkering with all the control settings
before I eventually got really good with the default scheme thanks to multiplayer >_>
but once you settle into a comfortable groove it's one hell of a ride. I'm going to have to go back and do most of these chapters over again on a harder difficulty, both for better weapons to use online, and because I kept fucking dying right before the bosses (>n<)

qq more

Amount of enemy placement...I guess with the heavy MM influence, I was expecting more foes to be flying about.
The game leans a bit more on the platforming side than Mega Man does. Although, this isn't probably the best footage to show off the combat side of the game. Thanks though! It's something I'll keep in mind.

EDIT: Lightning Lord, stop stealing Quest 64 carts. I know it's your favourite game, but ffs!
Lightning Lord always hypes up how great the game is. He always IMs me everything about the Quest Wii Dojo site and I'm like "GRRRRR LEAVE ME ALONE"

That first person Sonic gameplay vid kind of made me feel funny...and I have an iron stomach...
Same here. I can tolerate so much but this too made me feel a bit weird.

Spent most the whole day off GAF and finished the last 10 chapters of Kid Icarus: Uprising. Holy shit, what a tweest game.

That final chapter was great stuff. I really did not like the longgg tower chapter though... Sakurai pls don't do that again.

EDIT: Lightning Lord, stop stealing Quest 64 carts. I know it's your favourite game, but ffs!

Lightning Lord always hypes up how great the game is. He always IMs me everything about the Quest Wii Dojo site and I'm like "GRRRRR LEAVE ME ALONE"

:mad:!?

The real truth of the matter is that I am collecting every copy of that terrible game to destroy them all.

NOT BECAUSE I LIKE THE GAME GRRRRR LEAVE ME ALONE

Spent most the whole day off GAF and finished the last 10 chapters of Kid Icarus: Uprising. Holy shit, what a tweest game.
You damn right.

I beat Wario Land 2

wait

I beat a game? wtf is this madness

Oh I get it, by beat WL2 you mean you got to the standard ending.
Okay pal, you didn't beat anything yet, now go get the other 5 odd endings and get all the treasures for that final ball crushing stage, then at that point you've actually beaten it.

If you actually have done that then clearly I should have more faith in you.

qq more

In my defense I've 100%ed Wario Land 1

I'll go 100% Wario Land 2 some other time. I want to finish Pokemon Blue and Borderlands 2... and Metal Gear Solid 4... and Super Metroid... and what other game have I begun in the past 2 months that is still unfinished?

Beating MGS4 was fun after the first time thanks to the INTEGRAL PODCAST. So much cool stuff in those things, including a way to get through Act 5 without getting spotted.

If Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 didn't exist, Metal Gear Solid 4 would be my disappointment of the generation.

Such good gameplay mechanics buried under so much crap. I don't mind cutscenes and codec calls as I loved the first 3 MGS games but MGS4 just completely inverted the quality:quantity ratio, making sure to crap on pretty much every character it can along the way (though at least what it did to Raiden eventually gave us Revengeance. MGS3's supporting cast aren't so lucky).

The whole thing feels like Kojima going "I told you guys I don't want to do this anymore but you just kept on, even threatening me. Well here, I did it. HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS?!" But the joke was on him as they riked it.

Village

Playing through SA2 again, I had forgot I bought the PC version during the steam sale. And I remembered the chao garden was a thing. The addiction begins again , though it isnt the GC version where i could transport the Silver and gold chao from Sonic adventure dx and create see-through chao, ah well.

PKrockin

I tried playing Uprising a day or two ago, actually. Couldn't get the hang of the controls and returned it. Worked well enough for the flight sections, but I got as far as Chapter 2 before I realized that getting the hang of the on foot combat just wasn't happening. (And I'm a righty)

It's a shame though. I'm sure the game itself is fantastic.
The ground controls didn't click for me until I played chapter 1, 2, and then 2 again, but now there's no way I'd trade them for dual analog.

BlackJace

Makin room for the P Es Fore.

But I really wouldn't take that news as detrimental for LW. They don't even stock the 3DS, yet they stock the Vita.

Bomberman Hero is the best single player Bomberman game because they don't even attempt to make the multiplayer Bomberman fit into a single player mold, like every other game in the series. It's just a pretty decent third person action platformer

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Probably overstocked.

With that said, doing some research, I don't think ASDA cared much about the Wii U to begin with. Apparently some of the offerings in some of the stores have been kind of poor? Anyway, ASDA's a supermarketish/WalMartish place, right? So essentially when you go into a supermarket, you're not catering to the likes of people who go to GAME or EB or whatever who would probably know that the Wii U exists and what the games are for the platform. You're catering to people who will pay attention to you when you put the effort and budget into adequate marketing and making stores put some shelf space in for you. People do go on the internet and read Kotaku and whomever to get some games news, but they're not absolutely drenched in it like we tend to be, so they tend to be a little savvy. Regardless of that fact, if they don't see a lot of shelf space for the product that's supposed to be current right now, they're not gonna buy it.

With that said, I have to wonder if they're still shifting Wii stock and Wii game stock. If that's the case, I wonder if Nintendo UK should just buy back some of of that or swap it for more Wii U presence. I don't care. If you have Wii games selling under the Wii U banner, that's actually a problem, despite the system being backwards-compatible. Your job is to put the system at hand to the forefront, not the system of the past. Putting Wii games under the same banner doesn't really help the fact that some people can't differentiate the Wii from the Wii U either.

I'll say what I told Bean this morning: Nintendo's not gonna drop the Wii U by any means. They'll probably soldier on and treat it like a GameCube/N64 because that's what Nintendo typically does outside of one machine. They need to make the cash that went into R&D worth it. With that said, I don't think they did a good job of closing out the Wii's cycle at all, and didn't really provide a springboard/incentive for previous Wii owners (including the ones who treated it as a fad--and that's the word I'm going to use because there's no better alternative word to those who just bought it because it was the in thing especially during the time of a recession where video games were just a cheaper means of entertainment--and I'm sorry for using that word, but that's just how it kinda was when you speak to non-traditional players about it) to jump on the Wii U as a viable platform. I still say Nintendo's going to keep it steady with first party content with some third party exclusives mixed in a la GameCube. But they're not going to see Wii numbers for a while. Not now.

Makin room for the P Es Fore.

But I really wouldn't take that news as detrimental for LW. They don't even stock the 3DS, yet they stock the Vita.
Probably not overstocked.

As for the 3DS that boggles my mind. Unless it's a situation like Amazon.com's or something. Because that's legitimately the primary system that's been consistently doing well for a while.

Edit: I've thought about it. They probably still have a lot of DS stock that they haven't shifted. Again, buyback/swap and promote 3DS instead, Nintendo UK.

:mad:!?

The real truth of the matter is that I am collecting every copy of that terrible game to destroy them all.

NOT BECAUSE I LIKE THE GAME GRRRRR LEAVE ME ALONE
/hides copy of Quest 64 she found for like $5.

I don't like the game, but I want to keep my copy, dammit.

Did someone say Bomberman?

Bormberman Hero is actually pretty good

Definitly the best single player Bomberman game

Bomberman Hero is the best single player Bomberman game because they don't even attempt to make the multiplayer Bomberman fit into a single player mold, like every other game in the series. It's just a pretty decent third person action platformer

Eh. Hero's not so much a Bomberman game moreso a generic platformer with Bomberman in it (kinda like Sonic with Colours). It's not bad, but I'd rather play Saturn or the 64 series over it any day.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Overlord over at Sonic Retro pointed out that Sainsbury dropped the original Xbox shortly after its launch, and as you can tell, that brand didn't really suffer. I'm not sure how apt the comparison is, but it's something.
Not very apt to me, to be honest. Part of me does want to say that it might be because Nintendo might be going for another sales strategy, that they might be providing new SKUs (worldwide), or that Nintendo encouraged sales clearances (ie: that promotion they have up). Either way, I kinda think CVG exaggerated a little.

Also, I don't think this is as bad as some... electronics outlet, iirc, dropping the GameCube way back when. EDIT: It was the Dixons group and Argos.

With that said, the biggest problem of the matter is that the stupid thing doesn't have adequate shelf space/it's sharing shelf space with its progenitor and that people either don't know it exists, or they think it's just a Wii add-on. And I think better publicity and more original software--and a better marketing department--would probably help them in that matter.

I'd also like to add that I will always think that doing a Nintendo Direct (in its stuttery and laggy glory, so much so that we had to watch the Dutch one together) instead of a proper E3 press conference was a stupid idea since our news didn't even cover that when they were covering the other E3 press conferences here with their tech segments. I don't think that helped either. Nintendo Directs always seemed for people who already owned the systems as opposed to bringing in new customers for the product. E3 press conferences are generally marketing strategies (thus all the sales talk before in previous conferences -- "this is our product, this is why you should care about our product, this is how our product's doing, this is what we're doing in the future and we'd like you to join us in that future, etc").

Eh. Hero's not so much a Bomberman game moreso a generic platformer with Bomberman in it (kinda like Sonic with Colours). It's not bad, but I'd rather play Saturn or the 64 series over it any day.

Well to me Bomberman doesn't work in any format from the maze type view other than local multiplayer franticness.

Bomberman Hero is the correct realization of taking the character into a plattformer.

From what I've heard, Bomberman Hero didn't even start out as a Bomberman game. I think it was actually a Bonk one, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

qq more

I honestly really want to play Bomberman Hero. A Bomberman platformer was something I've always wanted and that game looked really fun.

Village

The only bomberman game I have played is super bomberman.

I do not know much of anything about the series besides that they look cute.

Noi

Birthday presents.

BQXsFp1CIAIoY1Y.jpg

There is nothing in this picture that I'm trying to hide, so you shouldn't look too deeply.

Bomberman 64 is certainly the more unique game of the two but i'd sooner run through Hero if I had to replay one of the two since it's much easier to pick up and play, I got 100% out of it, that final stage wasn't really worth it if I recall.
Hero is a pretty basic action platformer but it applies the use of bombs pretty well so that you're not left waiting around for them to explode on the enemies like in 64. Then of course there was also pointless gimmicky stuff like SALT BOMBS, because you totally can't kill slugs with standard explosives.

BlackJace missed out on having a childhood, innocence ripped away like Magik in the X-men

tears are streaming down my face for my fellow brotha

I learned about Bomberman through Atomic Bomberman on the PC. Complete with quips by Billy West and Charlie Adler, even though I had no idea who either of them were when I bought it! (I do now, though; Fry and Buster Bunny, respectively.)

If Bomberman Live or whatever the PSN/WiiWare equivalents are still around, those are decent ways to check the series out.

I've never actually played the N64 ones, I must confess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Birthday presents.

There is nothing in this picture that I'm trying to hide, so you shouldn't look too deeply.
*chuckles*

Have fun with it. And remember that you asked for it. :p

BTW, hope you enjoy Trinity Souls of Zill O'll. It's pretty decent for a loot RPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom