• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to bed at 6am and woke up at 1pm
That actually sounds about right considering the time you finally hit the hay.

And oh gosh you guys I need to clean this shit up one of these days; seriously look at this shit, it's a huge mess and I haven't had time to clean it up yet. I was looking for a copy of MMX4 that apparently I never had or I did have but someone borrowed it and never gave it back. I'm so sad. I actually wanted to play that this week! One of my faves growing up. I think I want to buy a copy...
Oh my, I wonder how much of that is backlogged?! And here I was looking at my accumulating pile of like 6 unorganised games like "hmm, a bit messy".

We should do this one day. At least in this thread, I won't mind. Because the list is so large, I wouldn't mind no explanations. And Cornered from AA would have obviously made the list in some capacity. I'm rather pleased it made it that high.
It would be ideal for the distant dream that is the VGM community thread, ONE DAY!

And oh gosh you guys I need to clean this shit up one of these days; seriously look at this shit, it's a huge mess and I haven't had time to clean it up yet. I was looking for a copy of MMX4 that apparently I never had or I did have but someone borrowed it and never gave it back. I'm so sad. I actually wanted to play that this week! One of my faves growing up. I think I want to buy a copy...

Wow. Makes my gaming shelf (which is admittedly small at the moment) look piddly.

Quackula

Got almost everything moved into the other room, Now all I have left really are my computer desk and the arcade cabinet.

Arcade cabinets are fucking heavy and I am not looking forward to this.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure the cab will fit in there. Oh well, more of an excuse to buy even more cabinets and turn this room into a badass arcade!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my, I wonder how much of that is backlogged?! And here I was looking at my accumulating pile of like 6 unorganised games like "hmm, a bit messy".
Umm... haven't cracked into the HD collections, though I did rent the original versions on PS2. They're gifts. Since I've played the original versions before, I don't really see a need to get to them immediately.

Some of them I've just pulled out of Bargain Bins on Boxing Day for like $5 or people just gave me stuff they didn't want (ex: de Blob 2, Toy Story, that Lego HP game, Dante's Inferno-- no one wanted Dante's Inferno, etc). I've yet to crack into Alice, that Agarest War game, Dragon's Dogma (well, no, I did crack into Dragon's Dogma), the Uncharted games... and I think that might be it, staring at that? Edit: Oh, derp, the PAL version of Tales of Graces f is in there, isn't it?

My actual backlog that I'm currently going through is on my desk at the moment, which is clean and organized.

I recently got Rockman DASH 1&2, 428, Etrian Odyssey IV, ASRT Vita, Zero no Kiseki Evolution, and Tales of Innocence R, so I'll probably take those out sooner rather than later. I should probably go back to Silent Hill: Book of Memories one day to actually get to the end.

The PSP games are done. I used to take my PSP with me everywhere so I ended up getting those games done little by little. The majority of the DS games are done as well. If it's a portable game, I'll most likely get it done as much as I can. But gosh darn that's a lot of imports.

Got almost everything moved into the other room, Now all I have left really are my computer desk and the arcade cabinet.

Arcade cabinets are fucking heavy and I am not looking forward to this.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure the cab will fit in there. Oh well, more of an excuse to buy even more cabinets and turn this room into a badass arcade!
Arcade cabinet?! :O

oh myyyyy gooooosssshhhhh.

Quackula

I don't even bother keeping up with a backlog anymore. I've got a good sense of what I have and haven't played, and usually I'll at most maybe make a small list of games to go through every few months.

Arcade cabinet?! :O

oh myyyyy gooooosssshhhhh.

It's a dedicated Mortal Kombat II. Stuff like this doesn't pop up very often around here, and I had to drive to the next town to get it. Paid $280 though, so I got a pretty nice deal I think.

Pic of it in the old room if you wanna see it

I could have had a Turtles in Time cabinet for free, but I had to pass because there was no way it would have fit into where I lived at the time. If only I had gotten that offer a year later...

Quackula

I could have had a Turtles in Time cabinet for free, but I had to pass because there was no way it would have fit into where I lived at the time. If only I had gotten that offer a year later...

Man, I would've jumped on that. The two cabinets I'm still holding out for are a Neo Geo MVS of some sort (preferably 4-slot I guess) and a 4 player Simpsons/TMNT.

People so rarely list that sort of stuff around here though, like I said, and when they do they usually want way too much. You aren't going to get $900 for your crappy converted Tekken 2 cabinet, people.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Am I the only one who keeps the room clean
You do realize that my room is currently in disarray because I was looking for a game that I apparently didn't have, yes?

My room's usually clean otherwise. It has to be. Feminine touch and all that.

It's a dedicated Mortal Kombat II. Stuff like this doesn't pop up very often around here, and I had to drive to the next town to get it. Paid $280 though, so I got a pretty nice deal I think.

Pic of it in the old room if you wanna see it
That is so awesome. I'm impressed.

I haven't seen one of those in the while in years. I think it's great that you seem to be keeping it in decent condition (at least it looks that way). That's what I do from time to time (even up to replacing parts if need-be), just to see if I can preserve stuff for the future.

Man, I would've jumped on that. The two cabinets I'm still holding out for are a Neo Geo MVS of some sort (preferably 4-slot I guess) and a 4 player Simpsons/TMNT.

People so rarely list that sort of stuff around here though, like I said, and when they do they usually want way too much. You aren't going to get $900 for your crappy converted Tekken 2 cabinet, people.
I'd jump on this so fast...

Actually, I would've jumped on an old TMNT cabinet, having spent so many hours at arcades when I was little just playing those games alone.

I miss arcades.

Quackula

That is so awesome. I'm impressed.

I haven't seen one of those in the while in years. I think it's great that you seem to be keeping it in decent condition (at least it looks that way). That's what I do from time to time (even up to replacing parts if need-be), just to see if I can preserve stuff for the future.

First thing I did when I got it was replace all the micro-switches in the buttons, replace one of the joysticks, and give the glass covering the monitor and marquee a good cleaning.

It still needs some cosmetic fixes, though. Some of the t-molding is really chewed up. There's some scratches on the side-art, but there isn't a lot you can do about that so I'm not worrying about it. Biggest thing it still needs is probably fixing the coin door. The lock is broken on it and there's no coin mech to accept any coins. It's set for free play so it's not really a big deal, but still...

I'm handy with a soldiering iron, even if this thing were broken in some major way I would've still nabbed it.

It's really a shame they're pretty much dead. There's a whole bunch of experiences there that can never really be replicated, and are going to end up lost to time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow, that's really awesome, JC. I'm envious.

First thing I did when I got it was replace all the micro-switches in the buttons, replace one of the joysticks, and give the glass covering the monitor and marquee a good cleaning.

It still needs some cosmetic fixes, though. Some of the t-molding is really chewed up. There's some scratches on the side-art, but there isn't a lot you can do about that so I'm not worrying about it. Biggest thing it still needs is probably fixing the coin door. The lock is broken on it and there's no coin mech to accept any coins. It's set for free play so it's not really a big deal, but still...

I'm handy with a soldiering iron, even if this thing were broken in some major way I would've still nabbed it.
How much did it cost to make your replacements? In any case, it's really handy to be good with an iron. I can't even do that. If I have a cart that needs a battery replacement, I usually fix it up with duct tape when what I should really be doing is soldering it down. Parts replacements that don't require soldering, though, I can do.

Aha, I don't really think it's important to fix the coin door, but I can see why you want to make it absolutely perfect as if it were in pristine working order.

man... why are arcades so dead :(
Online gaming.

Though I think they're still kinda big in Asia?

I stopped in that arcade a couple months ago, to play a game of Time Crisis 2 like I always do. That mothafucka wasn't even there. Aint nobody told me or nothing, the manager knows I love that game. I walked around the entire place looking for it, nothing. I actually spit on the ground where it was replaced with a busted Silent Scope machine(the aiming was shot to hell, probably years of misuse), and walked out. I don't think I'm ever going back.

I'm usually not one for melodrama, but fuck it. That machine was there for 10 years, it was like one of the few things I could depend on, like the sun coming in the morning, or Undertaker going over at Wrestlemania. It just reminded me that eventually all these damn arcade cabinets are gonna be gone, and a lot of them you'll never be able to replicate with MAME, and they're just be lost to the ages.

I think about that shit a lot nowadays, about the future of older games and their preservation. Like, if I wanted to play Super Street Fighter 4 AE v.2012 today, I'd have to buy AE, then download the 2012 patch. So what happens in 10 years when I can't download that patch anymore? Is that game gonna be forever out of date, with Yun's godlike mix-ups and Ryu's crappy cr.mk hurtbox?

I think about all the great times I had on Halo 2 back in '05-'07, pretty much every day, hundreds of hundreds of hours. But the XBL servers are down. I can never replicate that experience, not even if I could somehow manage to get my friends to come back to that game. It's impossible! That's a huge, huge part of that game that newcomers to the series are gonna have to live through vicariously through YouTube sessions and older gamers reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Video games are just so ephemeral, in the moment. Whatever your favorite game is, it's already out-of-date, and the chances of it being relegated to the dustbin(unless it's some beloved classic) grows larger every day. Like you can tell people how awesome Suikoden II is(and it IS awesome, thank God I bought it), but they're still waiting on the PSN release, because the game is rare as hell and fetches a high price.

I remember a Sega City Arcade in Park Meadows Mall here in Denver...didn't even realize what it actually was but I remember Soul Calibur just came out and boy did it look good.

Like you can tell people how awesome Suikoden II is(and it IS awesome, thank God I bought it), but they're still waiting on the PSN release, because the game is rare as hell and fetches a high price.

We as a people have already found a workaround to that.

I'm not going say what that workaround is, and I'm definitely not saying you should use it, but there is a workaround.

Quackula

How much did it cost to make your replacements? In any case, it's really handy to be good with an iron. I can't even do that. If I have a cart that needs a battery replacement, I usually fix it up with duct tape when what I should really be doing is soldering it down. Parts replacements that don't require soldering, though, I can do.

Aha, I don't really think it's important to fix the coin door, but I can see why you want to make it absolutely perfect as if it were in pristine working order.

The switches were just some generic cherry microswitches I found on ebay. Pack of 10 for around $8 or so. The replacement stick was a Happ Competition, that was around $10. I should probably replace the other stick at some point as they aren't quite identical right now, but they're both functional, so eh.

Soldering really isn't very hard to learn, just takes a little bit of practice. It's an insanely handy skill to have.

Anyone here in the New Hampshire area who misses arcades should definitely check out Funspot. It's in Laconia, and aside from being all around huge, houses the American Classic Arcade Museum. They have tons and tons of classic arcades available for play. I'd love to vist there myself, but you know, being in Texas and all. Just look at that list!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think about that shit a lot nowadays, about the future of older games and their preservation. Like, if I wanted to play Super Street Fighter 4 AE v.2012 today, I'd have to buy AE, then download the 2012 patch. So what happens in 10 years when I can't download that patch anymore? Is that game gonna be forever out of date, with Yun's godlike mix-ups and Ryu's crappy cr.mk hurtbox?

I think about all the great times I had on Halo 2 back in '05-'07, pretty much every day, hundreds of hundreds of hours. But the XBL servers are down. I can never replicate that experience, not even if I could somehow manage to get my friends to come back to that game. It's impossible! That's a huge, huge part of that game that newcomers to the series are gonna have to live through vicariously through YouTube sessions and older gamers reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Video games are just so ephemeral, in the moment. Whatever your favorite game is, it's already out-of-date, and the chances of it being relegated to the dustbin(unless it's some beloved classic) grows larger every day. Like you can tell people how awesome Suikoden II is(and it IS awesome, thank God I bought it), but they're still waiting on the PSN release, because the game is rare as hell and fetches a high price.
Shit, JC, that brings a tear to my eye. I may not be that old, but man, I get where you're coming from. I don't really think of it often, but when I do, I do think about all those patches that people might not be able to preserve so they'll have to play broken games or games with poorer balancing. It's just really too bad.

As for MP servers, I don't know if it's possible for people to set up makeshift servers for themselves. Not with these networks anyway. It seems like something that would require homebrew or something.

But it's just like how you can't go out and tell people, oh look how games evolved from lights on a screen to shitty CD-ROM games to modern shootbangs. Some of these games don't work anymore, or it's hard to find hardware for it. From a historical perspective, it's really sad that a lot of these things can't be experienced in their prime (ex: even the Dreamcast). And it's really disappointing. You can tell someone, "Oh hey, go into the video game documentaries thread and learn about X", but you can't truly have them fully learn about it because they don't necessarily have the experience for it.

And I can relate to that Suikoden II comment all too well. :/

In speaking of... MAME's netplay is pretty dang cool.
It certainly is, but as JC pointed out, MAME will never replicate the original feel of an arcade.

I'm very thankful for MAME, though.

Quackula said:
The switches were just some generic cherry microswitches I found on ebay. Pack of 10 for around $8 or so. The replacement stick was a Happ Competition, that was around $10. I should probably replace the other stick at some point as they aren't quite identical right now, but they're both functional, so eh.

Soldering really isn't very hard to learn, just takes a little bit of practice. It's an insanely handy skill to have.
Ahhh, I thought it would've been pricier. Some people sometimes go out of their way for the most expensive things, but you don't seem too picky so it's good to be frugal. I think you just want it in working order than anything else (like not completely restoring it back to its original condition as much as possible).

As for soldering, I'm pretty sure I'm clumsy enough to make a huge mistake, so I don't think so. Not yet anyway.

Emitan said:
Oh... I see...

;>_>
To be fair, I know a lot of girls who don't really clean their rooms too. So don't feel too bad!

I'm one of those people who just stares at something that's out of place and will get up just to shift it back into place. Stuff like that bugs the crap outta me, lol. Man, I'm going to clean up those games when I get home. It was really bugging me earlier but I couldn't do anything about it.

I'm really not that old for the record, I'm 22, lol. We just had some old-ass Tekken cabinets for the longest time.

Of all the various entertainment mediums I love, video games are the nearest and dearest to me, but they also seem to be ones that can so easily be erased or impossible to experience again in the future.

Noi

You'll be a grizzled combat veteran by the time thou turn 25.

Edit: My phone autocorrecred you into thou. I'm ok with this.

Quackula

Shit, what does that make me? I'm 28. D:

1247549237326.jpg

TheOGB

Banned
I fully expected to be one of the youngest members here; I don't turn 20 until this October :p

Wait, what the fuck?
I joined NeoGAF when I was 16?? I've been here for over 3 years?!

This explains a lot. Grandpa.

I can't even think of any old characters in the Tales series that aren't villains.

Shit...this DOES explain a lot.
Holy FUCK you're old, Beef

Hey, how was life in THE 80S

did you shake hands with Reagan
Yeah. We even got to play MvC1 and The Simpsons arcade game together. AND the original Time Crisis. I beat Reagan's high score, too. Beat that, son.

Y'know, older people tend to be a bit slower, right? So does this mean Professor Beef is turning into slowbeef? Let's just hope he doesn't come down with Diabetus.

Ehhhh? I'm not looking forward to turning 25 next month, then.
Well, at least we'll turn 25 next month... together.

This comes across a lot creepier than I'd like it to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom