• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to say Power Paintbrush/Canvas Curse is the best game but speaking of traditional styled entries Adventure Wii/Return to Dreamland takes that crown.

I'm still annoyed that we got saddled with the Power Paintbrush name, still it's nowhere near as bad as Kirby Mouse Attack, I mean damn that is some bad renaming right there.
On top of sounding vastly inferior to Squeak Squad the name also ends up clashing with the later release of Mass Attack

Something I wondered about Europe, you know how Japan has cute Kirby and American has Angry Kirby, what does Europe have?

box-art-battles-the-kirby-series-20110907021418993.jpg

box-art-battles-the-kirby-series-20110907021411137.jpg

box-art-battles-the-kirby-series-20110907021415978.jpg

box-art-battles-the-kirby-series-20110907021410367.jpg

also, omg look how adorable all those kirbies are on the japanese mass attack cover so kawaii~

We used to get angry Kirby but as of late we've chilled out and now get happy Kirby as of Mass Attack and Adventure Wii box arts at least.

BlackJace

The angry eyebrows for MA literally look like they were drawn on at the last minute.

"Oh shit son, we forgot about angry Kirby"

*scribble*

at least the mass attack is emphasizing the aggressive ATTACK part of the title, the Squeak Squad one looks they literally just took the Japanese one and added some feisty eyebrows

Taking a closer look at it, it's like they went overboard with the Americanizing of that Mass Attack boxart.
Most Kirbys in the background are beating the tar out of some enemies while some huge explosion threatens to engulf another Kirby who has to be saved by another Kirby performing what can only be an action movie style slow mo dive.
Meanwhile angry main kirby who I have to assume set off said explosion is doing the whole strut off while not looking at his explosive handiwork thing because he's just too cool, especially with eyebrows like that.

He just no sold that shit and is smug as fuck about it, must have inhaled Cena at some point.
Well I know what game i'm off to play now, lets see if I can make it any further with this whole mass attack deal.

This title screen theme is amazing.

Sonic 1 was the first game I ever owned when my parents bought me a Genesis. So I'm fiercely loyal to the blue blur. His games have gotten better as of late (I really enjoyed Generations and Colors so I'm looking forward to Lost World), and I have no reason to doubt that Sonic will have a resurgence in popularity over the next few years. He's always had solid comics and cartoon series', so at least there's always some worthwhile Sonic entertainment to consume.

My only question is: Will there ever be a sequel to Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood?

Sonic 1 was the first game I ever owned when my parents bought me a Genesis. So I'm fiercely loyal to the blue blur. His games have gotten better as of late (I really enjoyed Generations and Colors so I'm looking forward to Lost World), and I have no reason to doubt that Sonic will have a resurgence in popularity over the next few years. He's always had solid comics and cartoon series', so at least there's always some worthwhile Sonic entertainment to consume.

My only question is: Will there ever be a sequel to Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood?

No.

Those boss (?) designs in Universal Gravitation up there are straight up weird, one of them is like they took tap tap the red nose and plonked him on an unfitting body, oh artoon you silly buggers.

Best part about not getting a Chronicles sequel is the fact that we were teased with a cliffhanger ending, so I guess that officially Eggman wins that round.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know where else on GAF to ask this question. Hideaki Kobayashi and Fumie Kumatani are GOATs, I am trying to find other soundtracks that sound like this. Super serious ambient orchestral tracks like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrbEOxaQ2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgEdjWVu_-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ms4fA909Pw

It doesn't have to be from a SEGA game it can be from anywhere.
I'm sorry. I was asleep, and it's either Sciz, Nert, or I who answer these questions typically. Aha, I've been feeling pretty drowsy for the past week or so for some reason, I suppose. Kinda hope you check back into this thread for an answer since the topic of discussion shifted.

Ambience? There are a lot of composers who specialize in that genre. Particularly Masashi Hamauzu, Akira Yamaoka, David Wise, Mitsuto Suzuki, Jim Guthrie at times, etc. Given the advances in games music lately, you can find anything orchestrated or with better synth samples now. I'd almost want to throw some people in like Michael McCann because of some DE:HR stuff, and Jesper Kyd for some AC stuff, but it's generally hit or miss with them with respect to the genre.

Furthermore, there are some soundtracks with some ambience like Globulous (Nert's writeup, my writeup), Extase (granted, this is a 1990 PC game), Dragon's Breath for the Amiga, one track I can pick from Beyond Good & Evil is "Above and Beyond", Killer7's "Multiple Personality" (so Masafumi Takada), The 3rd Birthday's soundtrack in some places (ex: the Mitsuto Suzuki tracks like Dive Into Myself, Equinox of Insanity, Ruin, etc), Half Life (ex: Vague Voices, Space Ocean, Dimensionless Deepness), Chaos;Head (They Raid), Corpse Party, Dustforce (Nert's writeup; my writeup), Espgaluda II (Aerial, Azures), The Witcher 2 (Sorceresses, Into the Fields), NeoTokyo (Tin Soldiers, Scrap... in fact, I know someone's linked that in here before), Digital Devil Saga 2 (Inherent Will, Sun, One Word), everything in Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill soundtracks, Persona 2 IS and EP soundtracks, Violinist of Hameln (but this is a SNES game... but it has a great soundtrack!), Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery, and more.

I understand this doesn't perfectly answer your question, but the key word here is ambience. If you need me to expand on anything, just ask.

Tizoc

Why was Dream Team released late for US again?

I've been plying it the past few weeks but in slow bursts due to PS3 backlog ^^;
I'll say this though: The Boss Battle theme is freakin' epic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know that some people were trying to promote discussion about just video games as a whole. But I thought this thread was a good idea, at least to take a break from list threads and system discussion threads: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644047

Either way, I like threads like that. At least ones that promote substantial talk. Are motion controls good? Do you think they have a place in future video game design? What do you think of video games as a medium for the player to choose the speed of narrative pacing and storytelling as opposed to something that's static and merely there for people to take in as a passive experience.

With that said, I thought it was a good idea for a thread. Tad disappointing that it hasn't garnered a lot of responses. Though, someone in here would point out that I should've seen it coming.

Why was Dream Team released late for US again?

I've been plying it the past few weeks but in slow bursts due to PS3 backlog ^^;
I'll say this though: The Boss Battle theme is freakin' epic.
You and Bean both think so.

Also probably because NoE actually seems to know what they're doing (also it's summer, and the summer lull exists).

BlackJace

I know that some people were trying to promote discussion about just video games as a whole. But I thought this thread was a good idea, at least to take a break from list threads and system discussion threads: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644047

Either way, I like threads like that. At least ones that promote substantial talk. Are motion controls good? Do you think they have a place in future video game design? What do you think of video games as a medium for the player to choose the speed of narrative pacing and storytelling as opposed to something that's static and merely there for people to take in as a passive experience.

With that said, I thought it was a good idea for a thread. Tad disappointing that it hasn't garnered a lot of responses. Though, someone in here would point out that I should've seen it coming.

Unfortunately, since the thread demands actual reasoning, and is constructed so that a witty first reply doesn't work, the thread will never move past the first page. It's a shame, kind of reminds me of Aquamarine's "Experiences at Retail' thread that scared people off because of the bevy of information in the OP.

Unfortunately, since the thread demands actual reasoning, and is constructed so that a witty first reply doesn't work, the thread will never move past the first page. It's a shame, kind of reminds me of Aquamarine's "Experiences at Retail' thread that scared people off because of the bevy of information in the OP.

Damn. Then I know I've done something right. lol

Ah, now I remember why I stopped playing Mass Attack, this game has some pretty odd decisions that hamper my enjoyment greatly.
I'm two stages away from finishing the volcano world but require 9 kirbys to enter the next stage, I have 8 so I have to play through another stage again just to gobble up fruit and replenish the number of Kirbys, and no they don't allow you to get the right number of kirbys and quit to map in which case I could be done in seconds.
This links to two more problems, firstly I lost those kirbys in the first place because the controls are kind of messy, one or two Kirbys will always be left straggling towards the back while the camera tries to shift onwards with the player cursor which in turn disrupts the pace of those that are closely following the cursor, making quick moves as a large group just doesn't often pan out, especially in vertical stages.
The second issue is that these stages often feel a bit bloated, for a game that wishes to demand a high level of perfection and offers awards for beating a stage without a single mistake it's surprising that they'd make some of these stages as long as they are, long enough to often include a perhaps excessive number of six hidden medals in a stage and i'm not exactly eager to replay long stages I just did within the last hour so I can progress with the game, though its worth pointing out some of them have shortcuts within to skip through segments on replays at the very least but even they can be missed.

Apparently it seems that i'm right near the end so I may as well soldier on but damn this game is conflicting, it really has some great ideas at times and there's nothing else quite like it, it's like playing some sort of 2D Pikmin but its execution could definitely be better.

PKrockin

This was my first thought as well. Scared away all the users who're most comfortable in threads like "name characters with moustaches" or posting maybe a sentence or two shitting on an easy target.

But I don't think starting off with the topic of games as art helped much, I think a lot of us are tired of that argument.

It might actually be impossible? I dunno. Sonic Chronicles happened because Ray Muzyka is apparently a big Sega fanboy (it was cited multiple times during the announcement that he owns a Sega Genesis autographed by Yuji Naka).

But then, near the end of Chronicles' development, EA bought Bioware and most people figured that snuffed out any further Sonic Chronicles games past the first one. On top of that, Ray Muzyka resigned from Bioware so there probably isn't even anybody there to campaign for another game.

That branch of the franchise is deadski

Sciz

Chronicles' very existence was basically the result of divine intervention. It turned out to be the work of a rather malevolent sort of divinity, however, and the series was probably dead in the water even before the social landscape at Bioware changed.

I'm sorry. I was asleep, and it's either Sciz, Nert, or I who answer these questions typically.

Usually, sure, but ambiance is basically the polar opposite of my tastes in music.

This was my first thought as well. Scared away all the users who're most comfortable in threads like "name characters with moustaches" or posting maybe a sentence or two shitting on an easy target.

But I don't think starting off with the topic of games as art helped much, I think a lot of us are tired of that argument.
In my attempt to create a response to the floundering thread i've just realised that my view on art is quite a bit different to that which is actually debated which leaves me a in a bit of a bind here...

Yeah I would say that lamenting the fact that the thread wont gain any traction is odd if you're not going to dive in yourself BUT it's not an easy topic to tackle by any stretch.
I feel like i'd be outing my mere "philistine" views on things.

It might actually be impossible? I dunno. Sonic Chronicles happened because Ray Muzyka is apparently a big Sega fanboy (it was cited multiple times during the announcement that he owns a Sega Genesis autographed by Yuji Naka).

But then, near the end of Chronicles' development, EA bought Bioware and most people figured that snuffed out any further Sonic Chronicles games past the first one. On top of that, Ray Muzyka resigned from Bioware so there probably isn't even anybody there to campaign for another game.

This actually makes me kinda sad. Nocturne troll posts aside, I did like what they tried to do with the game even if the execution failed.
Usually, sure, but ambiance is basically the polar opposite of my tastes in music.
This is kinda why I don't like the Earthbound soundtrack.

It's a shame because the script for the sequel was in the process of being written when EA bought them. For a portable RPG featuring Sonic and friends aimed at younger kids as an intro to role-playing, I think it did a fair job and was enjoyable. Oh well, maybe one day for the Dreamcast 2...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Poor Beef.

I like the Mother 1 and Mother 3 soundtracks more, but poor Beef.

In my attempt to create a response to the floundering thread i've just realised that my view on art is quite a bit different to that which is actually debated which leaves me a in a bit of a bind here...

Yeah I would say that lamenting the fact that the thread wont gain any traction is odd if you're not going to dive in yourself BUT it's not an easy topic to tackle by any stretch.
Aha, I'm trying to craft my own post here, too, but I'm not going to tackle it until later when bumping the thread with more traffic on the site is better. With that said, it's perfectly understandable for people to get deterred by the subject since it's difficult to approach, but it's kind of unfortunate.

With that said, however, it's perfectly fine to go about it and say how differently you feel about the subject as that is part of a discussion.

qq more

I want a new Wario Land. :(

Shake It was so fun, and I'm dismayed to know that it probably did pretty poorly. :/

You know what's baffling? Even though Wario is in Brawl, there's hardly any references to the Wario Land games.

seriously, not even one song..

Back at the subject of Kirby, I've bought a copy of Nightmare on Dreamland complete in box for about 18 dollars. Whee!

PKrockin

After the abomination Master of Disguise supposedly was I'm not surprised they're giving the series a nap like Metroid.

To be honest games as art and the future of gaming as a medium are two topics that I don't think about and therefore I don't have much to say. But I would be interested in reading/participating in other discussions about game design.

I didn't know this was an opinion humans could have.

Dammit Mass Attack just really ticked me off again, all my Kirbys drowned (since when did you guys need oxygen?!) and now I have to repeat a rather lengthy stage from the start, GRUMBLE! This is actually the first time i've properly failed a stage, no checkpoints? dick move!

Aha, I'm trying to craft my own post here, too, but I'm not going to tackle it until later when bumping the thread with more traffic on the site is better. With that said, it's perfectly understandable for people to get deterred by the subject since it's difficult to approach, but it's kind of unfortunate.

With that said, however, it's perfectly fine to go about it and say how differently you feel about the subject as that is part of a discussion.
Well it's still sitting aside, maybe i'll post something later, maybe.
You go first...

I will admit they got the better deal with Wario Land for Wii.

"The Shake Dimension" sounds way cooler than "Shake It!"
Proud resident of the shake dimension, one of the few times we didn't get the weaker name.
Nice game as well.

You know what's baffling? Even though Wario is in Brawl, there's hardly any references to the Wario Land games.

seriously, not even one song..
Hey man, there was totally the victory theme which at the time of Brawls release was a mystery seeing that Shake Dimension was yet to be released.
The lack of a WL influenced moveset is by far the greater sin.

To be honest games as art and the future of gaming as a medium are two topics that I don't think about and therefore I don't have much to say. But I would be interested in reading/participating in other discussions about game design.
Pretty much where i'm at right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom