• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NINTENDO WAS SURE SMART RUSHING DAT CONSOLE OUT THE DOOR
I need to copy/paste this list. We need to talk about this.

Added Nintendo Network ID creation and linking features
Added Miiverse
Added Nintendo eShop
Added Internet browser
Added Friend list
Added Wii U Chat
Added Notifications
Added Download Management
Added Wii System Transfer
Added software update feature
Added USB storage device features

Why the fuck would you ship your console without these features? And then say, "Oh, before you give it to someone as a gift, update it for them!" Some of these things seem like features that were advertised as part of the core of the system. Why would you ship the system out before that outside of the fact that you're meeting a deadline?

I just bought this system last week. I shouldn't even have to download a launch update since it's been almost a year since then. Unless it's a launch unit that wasn't purchased since last year--then I can accept that... then ponder the peculiarities of having a launch unit when it's almost been a year since then. Not to mention that my update keeps failing for some reason, but thank goodness it keeps all the data it's downloaded prior to it failing and then me restarting the download.

Yep. Well at least it should be finished by the time Lost World comes out. Hopefully.
LOL. I wish this bar had a % or something. It's silly.

Where's that fan comic of Knuckles protecting the emerald with Ken Penders praising him

k6.jpg

It's the "My son" part that gets me, haha

I just bought this system last week. I shouldn't even have to download a launch update since it's been almost a year since then. Unless it's a launch unit that wasn't purchased since last year--then I can accept that... then ponder the peculiarities of having a launch unit when it's almost been a year since then.
The console has not been selling well. The odds of you having a console that were amongst the first manufactured aren't as bad as you'd probably think.

I almost forgot how many bars I had to sit through on day one, honestly, because it's been mostly hunky-dory since then. The spring update sped things up a fair bit. Curious as to why we haven't had the summer update yet, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The console has not been selling well. The odds of you having a console that were amongst the first manufactured aren't as bad as you'd probably think.

I almost forgot how many bars I had to sit through on day one, honestly, because it's been mostly hunky-dory since then. The spring update sped things up a fair bit. Curious as to why we haven't had the summer update yet, though.
That is true. Some launch units are still probably on shelves everywhere. Especially those Basic SKUs that they're clearing out now.

The system UI still seems kinda slow, though. I can't imagine it being even slower than this. :O

BlackJace

I made my first visit to PopGAF today. It was..interesting. Probably the community with the most comedians lol, some of those gifs are amazing.

Spinluck

Wait there's another Wii U update?

Btw my Nintendo ID is SpinDasher if you guys are lacking in friends.. or just want to be friends with me. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait there's another Wii U update?

Btw my Nintendo ID is SpinDasher if you guys are lacking in friends.. or just want to be friends with me. :)
Sure! NNID is SchalaAsha. I don't do much online stuff either, but I like having GAF people around.

And, nah, it's because I had to update my Wii U because I just set it up today. And it took forever.

BlackJace

It's weird sharing friend information for a Nintendo platform that doesn't involve a string of numbers, huh?

Now, about those accounts...

It's weird sharing friend information for a Nintendo platform that doesn't involve a string of numbers, huh?

Now, about those accounts...
I swear I heard that a web interface for the eShop was coming before the end of the year.

If Nintendo had any sense, the ability to tie those purchases to the account would happen then. Alas, I'm not convinced Nintendo does have sense...

I had an account on my friend's Wii U, but he recently moved to Seattle so now I can't access it. Not that it's a huge loss, since I didn't want to buy anything until Nintendo got their shit together regarding accounts.

GAMERG0D

Sure! NNID is SchalaAsha. I don't do much online stuff either, but I like having GAF people around.

And, nah, it's because I had to update my Wii U because I just set it up today. And it took forever.
I hate how I can't add people via web... I should really turn on my Wii U and beat Earthbound.

Sciz

So with all the NSMB talk here and in Gaming lately, I felt compelled to go replay SMB3 for the first time in god knows how many years.

Major points for innovation, but that game has aged. Once you get past Grass Land the level design is all over the place, and usually not in a good way. People criticize the cape for letting you fly over entire levels, but you can do the same thing with the raccoon tail because the levels are just that short. And even as tiny as they are, you get the occasional one where they just didn't give a shit, like the water level with a single lakitu and nothing else. Even the legendary Kuribo's Shoe level is over before it begins. But then, as though they felt they had to make up for the length somewhere, a good fifth or sixth of the levels are interminable autoscrolling affairs. It's a game where they clearly had a ton of ideas but weren't really sure how to execute all of them.

I think I'll backtrack to SMB1 next, because I suspect that it's the more tightly designed and paced game in the long run.

TheOGB

Banned
Cross-posting from the LTTP Crash thread:

Just replayed some levels from Crash 2 (Rock It, Diggin' It, Road to Ruin, a little bit of Totally Bear, and all 5 bosses) and watched both endings
dat "I ain't dead" maniacal laughter at the end of the good ending credits
. They were all great, not a dull moment in any of them. I was kinda surprised, after all this talk I feared I overhyped it because of strong nostalgia, but nope, this definitely still holds up. Challenging but not frustrating, and quite a treat to master; when I fought Tiny I was stuck in the upper right corner, as the two other platforms in that row and the one in the middle all fell, so I pulled a YOLO and did a slide jump to the middle row left platform. Made it for the win.
I'm gonna do another 100% run of this game real soon. Can't wait to return to Crash 3 with the dash ability :D

So with all the NSMB talk here and in Gaming lately, I felt compelled to go replay SMB3 for the first time in god knows how many years.

Major points for innovation, but that game has aged. Once you get past Grass Land the level design is all over the place, and usually not in a good way. People criticize the cape for letting you fly over entire levels, but you can do the same thing with the raccoon tail because the levels are just that short. And even as tiny as they are, you get the occasional one where they just didn't give a shit, like the water level with a single lakitu and nothing else. Even the legendary Kuribo's Shoe level is over before it begins. But then, as though they felt they had to make up for the length somewhere, a good fifth or sixth of the levels are interminable autoscrolling affairs. It's a game where they clearly had a ton of ideas but weren't really sure how to execute all of them.

I think I'll backtrack to SMB1 next, because I suspect that it's the more tightly designed and paced game in the long run.

I found my last trip to SMB3 gave me greater appreciation for what it did but i've always felt wanting more from the short stages and i'll never be much a fan of the amount of increasingly repetitive scrolling doom ship stages.
But as short as some of the stages may be they offer some nice platforming and there's nary a dead moment in any of them, world 5 especially. SMW sometimes seems to have the opposite problem, longer stages but with the platforming spread too thin within them leaving a few almost bare stretches.

Dario ff

Banned
Can't wait to see those models in the PC version. It's been a while since we had a Mario game on the PC.
There's no way the costumes are going anywhere outside the Wii U version, realistically speaking.

Even if you could do that, you still can't take out files from the Wii U discs because nobody has decrypted the new form of Nintendo's paranoia layers of DRM again. (All the Wii hacking has got them doing some ridiculous stuff that even makes development more complicated)

Rayman was the only thing that gave me a mild interest in attempting to get a Wii U (and it only felt like getting dragged to it rather than wanting one) regardless of the ridiculous hoops/prices I have to jump through, but hey, thanks Ubi!

Crash 2 is great fun, but there's almost no way I'm gonna figure out where the hell all the secrets in that game are. The ones I did find were already giving me headaches.

As I said in the chat last night, I'm actually more partial to the Spyro trilogy, even though the voice-acting gets a bit grating toward the end of it (I'd probably be less hard on it in Spyro 3 if the music didn't stop every time you were forced to talk to somebody, or if you didn't have to hear the same lines after failing some of the more poorly-designed mini-games, over and over).

Sciz

But as short as some of the stages may be they offer some nice platforming and there's nary a dead moment in any of them, world 5 especially.

Yeah, I don't want to say that it isn't a game full of ideas, because it's certainly where the tradition of making every level unique started. It's just that some of them aren't executed well at all. Giant Land's probably the worst offender, with stuff like the level where you can switch world sizes but the only actual difference between them is a couple of hidden 1ups. It's novel, but there's no actual reason to do it, and what you end up with is basically a SMB1 level with a minor twist.

On the other end of the spectrum, the game expects you to pull off a lot of tricky jumps that no NSMB title would dream of, so that was refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom