• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Arbok always said "Chaaaaaaarbok" for some reason. Never quite got that one.

Probably because Arbok evolves into Seviper.

Pok%C3%A9monTrainersChoice_Seviper.png

...Right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't even remember how big The Wonderful 101 demo was before I started downloading it. >.>

Ah well, let's start this. It's got 20 uses here. I don't even know why demos have "uses" at all, but here we are. :V

EDIT: I AM SO CONFUSED.

Spinluck

Which is fucking stupid, lol.

I don't remember the last demo I've played a demo more than 5 times, maybe back in the PS1 days. Idk, it just seems pointless to even limit it lol. I remember getting a demo disc with Sonic Adventure 2 on it, I played the shit out of that and got the game day 1.

Tizoc

Yo this Pacifc Rim movie is good ya'all, makes me want to play ZoE 2 HD now @o@.

Speaking of which, anyone play Virtual On? The 1st arcade and the PS2 games are available on JPN PSN, though I hear the PS2 game isn't very good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, there are lots of neato things in Wonderful 101 when you take your time and play around a bit. I found the item synthesis menu and the stuff you make helps out a lot.

And Dante/Wonder Blue's totally overpowered, lol.

Tizoc

Oh, there are lots of neato things in Wonderful 101 when you take your time and play around a bit. I found the item synthesis menu and the stuff you make helps out a lot.

And Dante/Wonder Blue's totally overpowered, lol.

Is there a site where I can see all the 100 Wonder characters? I mean once you're out of colors they're probably gonna go with like Wonder Dragon, etc.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is there a site where I can see all the 100 Wonder characters? I mean once you're out of colors they're probably gonna go with like Wonder Dragon, etc.
Noooo idea. I haven't been paying attention to the game at all prior to this, and figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm just poking around in the menus and playing around with it. Outside of the fact that it's hard for me to see stuff and I'm squinting like hell most of the time, it's been a neat experience so far.

Tizoc

Noooo idea. I haven't been paying attention to the game at all prior to this, and figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm just poking around in the menus and playing around with it. Outside of the fact that it's hard for me to see stuff and I'm squinting like hell most of the time, it's been a neat experience so far.

Crazy question then...do you think the game would also work as a 3DS game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes and no. There are times when you're going to need to use ZL and ZR to dodge (but one of these can be accomplished with Y). The game does use both the TV and the Gamepad simultaneously. (It's not something I'm going to bring up often, but this is certainly an issue I see with the Wii U as a whole, but that's another can of worms that I am not willing to open in this thread at all.)

A lot of the controls can easily be done with the 3DS. The R-stick seems to be there for drawing stuff with the Wonder-Liner (so basically you draw lines, circles, triangles, etc. and then press A to execute the command). I generally feel it's better to use the touchscreen to draw with the stylus, since drawing with R feels finicky at times. It's legitimately one of the few times I like being a left-handed person since I'll just draw and then press A with my right hand. Leader select is done with D-Pad up, Item select is done with D-pad L/R, and you can use the item by holding down. Controlling the leader is predictably done with the Left Stick. Camera is controlled and zoomed in/out with the L/R buttons.

So... yeah, I kinda feel control-wise, it'd be a nice 3DS game. But the thing is, I feel like putting it on 3DS would make it more prone to framerate drops, possible tearing, etc. That's not something you'd want from a Platinum game at all (ie: if you're using the sword or gun, it sometimes feels more like an action game than I'd realized; sometimes I can stun an enemy and they're more prone to juggling and better combos, for example). It would work control-wise, but in terms of general flow and making the game work proficiently without a lot of drops or things that would hinder aspects of some of the action-oriented stuff like using the sword, I'm not sure if 3DS would be the best platform for it.

I'm not going to get this day one or anything like that, but I'm certainly more interested in it now. It's because I realized that I was squinting the entire time I was playing it, and that's really my problem since I have vision issues.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did you send it to Nintendo for repairs?

Still bs that it hasn't even been a year, and I don't think you'd mentioned that you'd been using it much at all.

qq more

FUCK. someone kill me plz

anyways uh... 93% on this download for the demo... yeah...

EDIT: it's installing now. yeesh, this was about a GB? good thing I went with deluxe because I have no external device for games for the console

qq more

I find it interesting that Kirby gets the Smash ability in Dream Collection's challenge game (which is based off of Return to Dreamland). And yet the based game doesn't even have the ability to begin with.

Sciz

NSMB DS has kind of a bad rap, and not entirely without reason, but it also deserves more credit than it gets. A lot of the game is cobbled together design elements from SMB1 and 3, with extra bits pulled in from SMW, YI, and SM64, but it also genuinely tries to live up to that New! tag it's wearing. There are more new mechanics and level design conceits in this one title than in all three of its followups put together. Most of them aren't executed especially well, and the physics are a bit off and it's ugly so it's never going to be well-regarded, but it really is the last time Nintendo gave a damn about freshening up 2D Mario.

Tizoc

NSMB DS has kind of a bad rap, and not entirely without reason, but it also deserves more credit than it gets. A lot of the game is cobbled together design elements from SMB1 and 3, with extra bits pulled in from SMW, YI, and SM64, but it also genuinely tries to live up to that New! tag it's wearing. There are more new mechanics and level design conceits in this one title than in all three of its followups put together. Most of them aren't executed especially well, and the physics are a bit off and it's ugly so it's never going to be well-regarded, but it really is the last time Nintendo gave a damn about freshening up 2D Mario.

I liked NSMB for NDS, NSMB2...not so much after Super Mario 3D Land ^^;

qq more

I have no idea what it was but I had a ton of fun playing NSMB2. I probably just had my expectation super low. Nothing about it was special at all. It's weird.

But I really agree with just about most if not every criticism the NSMB series has.

I sort of get where you're coming from, effectively the additions to the formula for this entry were actually new. Being the first of the four games running off the same mechanics with the same design philosophy does hurt it in the long run since i'd argue every game that followed did what it did only better, the game's interesting in a historical context for kicking off the New sub series for better or for worse as well as being one of the key games in starting a bit of a 2D platforming revival as well as one of the biggest titles for the DS regardless of how one finds the game to play.

It's got some nice ideas every now and then but the ideas alone don't make levels immediately engaging, one stage that springs to mind is the one on the back of a giant wiggler in world 7, it's a neat idea but offers nothing more in its design than the novelty, the games tepid difficulty hampers the enjoyment quite a lot, you've got stages reminiscent of SMW Crushing Column castles, Mondo and even a SMB3 style pipe maze but they never get to really take off so to speak, the ideas are there but the execution is kind of weak. Personally I find NSMB Wii is the game NSMB DS wanted to be, using the same tools with much stronger level design.
There's still a few things about the first NSMB that I quite like compared to its follow ups, the risky blue shell item, the cliff stages placing a greater emphasis on the ledge mechanic, propeller jump platforms, more unique world bosses and the big boo enemy that inflates itself as you stare at it and pursues you by letting out its stored air but otherwise it's not one I've revisited much since the sequels hit.

It does have my favourite overworld theme in the 2D series, I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I've played through NSMB DS two, maybe three times and I still struggle to remember anything about it. The game is both easy and easy to exploit, and at least as far as I am concerned, does almost nothing interesting whatsoever.

The entire reason I played through it multiple times is because, well, sometimes you have your DS with you and you get bored enough to play games you don't really like. Especially if they're ones you WANT to like, but can't.

BlackJace

I think Nintendo has called it quits for the New series. After it failed to move many Wii U units, maybe that'll force them to go back to the 2D drawing board.

qq more

The New series is likely done for the entire generation anyways. Outside of the Luigi DLC (which shouldn't count anyways), Nintendo has stated they would only make one per system. Seeing as how both of the current systems are out with those NSMB games and the generation just begun... I don't think we have to worry about yet another NSMB game in 5 years or so. Depending how long this generation will last.

TimmiT

I don't think so. But the screen would be too small, there wouldn't be enough buttons (Presuming you'd have to use a stylus with one hand, leaving out one side of the buttons on the 3DS.) and when it comes to presentation and performance it wouldn't be nearly as spectacular. Maybe it'd work if the game was stripped down by a lot, but it wouldn't be nearly as good then.

I think Nintendo has called it quits for the New series. After it failed to move many Wii U units, maybe that'll force them to go back to the 2D drawing board.

They half arsed the Wii U version.

I found the DS game ok, but like sega1991 said it's nothing special, by brother owns a copy and every time I help him unlock more levels I just want to stop playing at the next save.

I quite like the Wii version but I have only played that 2 player with my cousin, but it seems like the best one to me.

BlackJace

Hopefully the same thing will happen after 3D World.
3D world looks fine, IMO. Not exactly what I wanted, but it'll be fun nonetheless.

Plus, Miyamoto is on record saying that they haven't abandoned the 64/Galaxy formula, which leads me to believe we're in for another one.

It kind of bugs me though, when people refer to 3D World as not a "true" entry in the 3D series.

Yeah, I think 3D World looks fine. I think it's entirely possible for both games designed like 3D World and games of the scope of 64/Galaxy to co-exist, so I dunno why everyone acts like 3D World marks the death of the latter.

It looks like a continuation of the 3D Land style of design, so there's that. Even though it's...not in 3D? uh whatever Nintendo

I'm sure it'll be fine, but it might not even by my second favorite platformer of the year, at this rate

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My hotel room has a jacuzzi. (ღ˘‿˘ღ)

I've never been in one of these befooooorrre. With that said, I don't like the room much. Lacks a kitchen. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom