• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professor Beep

Also, let me just say that Saints Row 4's 1st simulator mission has the greatest walking animation since Treasure Master

ErHoT.gif

One does not simply stealth edit bad syntax.
Anyways, pretty swaggy although he has nothing on this guy:
walk.gif

The correct answer is

2CAjWNN.gif

You're just saying this stuff because you're sick, Beef.

I know you don't want to hurt me more.

it actually physically hurts to cough, sneeze, or laugh right now D:

Regiruler

Beef wins as usual.
EDIT: Nevermind, shadow gives a good arguement

I was on Gamestop just a second ago and I noticed sonic had shot up to the 2nd most anticipated wii u title (under bloody disney infinity so might as well be first IMO).

Turns out deadly six edition is the pre-order bonus, no extra charge.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...Christopher, if you still lurk this thread, add examples to your OP at least. Like, for example, the themes from the anime you referred to.

Let's get technical then on this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7xZh3NF-S8&feature=youtu.be (the globotron/rotatatron & drillinator/refreshinator theme).

I enjoy it for two main reasons: the tempo done so that no matter at what speed you are actually playing, it feels reasonably paced but not too fast-paced. Naturally, in the DS version the tempo increases at half health which is appropriate for such situations as the bosses are balanced to get harder after the half life threshold.

The second reason is the fact that the main riff gives a nice exotic feel to it, and it alternates between being the main focus of the piece and being supplementary.

I know you were joking but I felt like being serious for once.
YES. This is exactly what I want! Really good description of why you chose it. I agree. It's one of my favourite boss themes in recent Sonic games because the tempo and sound samples are somewhat reminiscent of older Sonic games. Even if the backing synth might be a little irritating to some, I don't feel like it overtakes the main synth providing the melody. I do think Vs. Captain Jelly & Admiral Jelly might be a little more palatable to some people, but I honestly think the track you picked might be a little underrated, too.

Thanks for writing it up. Good work.

it actually physically hurts to cough, sneeze, or laugh right now D:
I'm sorry. I got sick, too. :(

I hope you'll be okay soon.

Regiruler

I hope the deadly six edition comes with the alternate boxart: not because it looks better, probably the opposite, but I have a weird affinity to collector's editions/limited editions.

EDIT: Amazon done fucked up again: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I08CSW/?tag=neogaf0e-20. I thought they learned their lesson from batman.
And the boxart was correct too before they changed it.
YES. This is exactly what I want! Really good description of why you chose it. I agree. It's one of my favourite boss themes in recent Sonic games because the tempo and sound samples are somewhat reminiscent of older Sonic games. Even if the backing synth might be a little irritating to some, I don't feel like it overtakes the main synth providing the melody. I do think Vs. Captain Jelly & Admiral Jelly might be a little more palatable to some people, but I honestly think the track you picked might be a little underrated, too.
Quite honestly I do not like the admiral/captain jelly theme: the main portion is a bit too mellow and slow-paced for my taste and only about 45 seconds in (I could be wrong on this as it's been a while since I've listened to it) does it speed up to an enjoyable speed. From what I remember though once the pace is properly adjusted its a decent piece.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What is up with that boxart? D:

I imagine the Deadly Six stuff is for first-print editions a la ASRT's limited edition stuff. I do hope they clarify that a little more because I need to write that info into the OT for Lost World when the time comes.

Regiruler

I imagine the Deadly Six stuff is for first-print editions a la ASRT's limited edition stuff. I do hope they clarify that a little more because I need to write that info into the OT for Lost World when the time comes.

How far in advance do people usually claim OTs anyway? I'm interested in doing the one for shovel knight but I am not overly familiar with the process and I don't wish to interfere if someone already has it planned out.
At least there's no BAHs in here, good list.
What do you think this is, the Mario Community OT?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Quite honestly I do not like the admiral/captain jelly theme: the main portion is a bit too mellow and slow-paced for my taste and only about 45 seconds in (I could be wrong on this as it's been a while since I've listened to it) does it speed up to an enjoyable speed. From what I remember though once the pace is properly adjusted its a decent piece.
Well, I meant in terms of instrument samples for some people who may feel that they have some sort of cacophony with some of the boss tracks (ie: the backing synth in the track you posted, for instance). Admiral / Captain Jelly, from conversations I've had, and from my own impressions, seems to be more cohesive in terms of instruments usage (ie: nothing completely stands out for the wrong reasons). The synth blends in very well with the bass and guitar riffs, so it's easier for some people to listen to, for example.

But it seems like tempo and high-energy stuff is more important for you in terms of VGM as opposed to cohesiveness, so it's easy to see why the theme may not be something you prefer first and foremost.

At least there's no BAHs in here, good list.
And thank goodness for that.

How far in advance do people usually claim OTs anyway? I'm interested in doing the one for shovel knight but I am not overly familiar with the process and I don't wish to interfere if someone already has it planned out.

What do you think this is, the Mario Community OT?
Sometimes it feels like it since we talk about Mario/Mega Man/other platformers and RPGs a lot! But we just talk about w/e in here.

If you'd like to make an OT, you should check the OT |OT| thread to see if someone's claimed it or not. Some people have claimed OTs for threads that aren't going to be out for a loooong time already (or probably are never going to come out, haha).

Regiruler

But it seems like tempo and high-energy stuff is more important for you in terms of VGM as opposed to cohesiveness, so it's easy to see why the theme may not be something you prefer first and foremost.
Energy is one aspect of music I prize above all so you have a natural talent for breaking down posts.
If you'd like to make an OT, you should check the OT |OT| thread to see if someone's claimed it or not. Some people have claimed OTs for threads that aren't going to be out for a loooong time already (or probably are never going to come out, haha).
I'm not going to apply just yet as:
1. I'm a junior (only a few more posts though until 500 which I believe is the change point)
2. I have no intention of biting off more than I can chew

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Graduation from junior to regular member is 300 posts + 3 months on GAF.

A few of us got it early because we registered in 2010 and got approved on GAF a year later. Beef's a good example of that, haha.

Regiruler

Graduation from junior to regular member is 300 posts + 3 months on GAF.

Is it from activation date or from "able to post" date? Because mine was activated early june just before E3 so I should be good once september 3rd hits.
EDIT: Terminology fix

And I still can't figure out how foxuzamaki has that many damn posts in so little time. He/she reminds me of kikoshin from another forum a frequent (although that is a story for another day).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is it from activation date or from "able to post" date? Because mine was activated early june just before E3 so I should be good once september 3rd hits.
EDIT: Terminology fix

And I still can't figure out how foxuzamaki has that many damn posts in so little time. He/she reminds me of kikoshin from another forum a frequent (although that is a story for another day).
Register date. Beef, for example, joined on March 17, 2010, but he didn't get approved to post until 2011. But he posted so much that he got unjuniored like... maybe 2 weeks after he joined, lol.

I joined on March 1st, 2010, but didn't get approved to post until 2011 too. But I didn't post as much as Beef did so it took me a month or two to get unjuniored.

And for giggles, I looked up my first post on GAF.

My friend and I picked this up together this week (our EB luckily had two copies) on my suggestion since it seemed like Chrono Trigger combined with FF6. We decided to compete to see who finishes the game first. (Aside: a bad decision on my part since I have four exams this week. He’s currently slightly ahead of me by being in Chapter 3 SH while I’m in Chapter 2 AH. But I’m trying to get all the “Bad Endings” too, and trying to complete the sidequests, while he isn’t.)

This game is really great to play in bursts. I commute to school, and it’s great to play on the train and bus. The placement of Save Points in the game truly facilitates its great “pick-up-and-play” nature. Grinding doesn’t feel like a pain in the butt because it feels like you’re levelling up easily, and because the battle system is extremely fun. The dialogue is also pretty witty (but I expect no less from Atlus), and Stocke is beginning to turn into one of my favourite RPG protagonists. The characterization is quite believable. I expected Marco to behave goofy like some of the Kobolds from the Suikoden universe, but he definitely isn't. I really like him.

The story feels like a mix of Fire Emblem, Suikoden, Chrono Trigger and stuff by Matsuno thrown into a blender. The music is excellent. My boyfriend listened to it and said it reminded him of some old SNES/PS1-era stuff, and I agree. It doesn’t try too hard, and it fits situations perfectly. It’s a shame that the actual soundtrack consists of only 25 tracks. The footsteps were a little distracting at first, but I ended up ignoring them after a while. In addition, I really like the animations of some of the characters. Marco's animation in battle is great, and I loved that, when going into the army's pub, I was greeted with six soldiers quickly chugging away at what I suspect is beer (I don't know if it's "cider" or "soda pop"). Stuff like that made me smile.

I should be studying for an exam tomorrow (and for another exam on Monday), but I really want to scratch the “Radiant Historia itch”. But I know that when I pick it up, expecting to play for only 20 minutes, I’ll look at the clock again and notice that I’ve been playing for an hour. It’s incredibly soul-sucking and addictive. I haven’t been sucked into an RPG like this since Persona 4. I was in the middle of Dragon Quest VI and Tactics Ogre, but I dropped both to play this.

I definitely think it’s one of the best RPGs I’ve played this generation, and a perfect way to send off the DS. So good.
Oh lord, even when I was a junior I wrote books.

Regiruler

Oh lord, even when I was a junior I wrote books.

I've pretty much already perfected my posting style over on a different site so being put on the burner until a set date really rubs me the wrong way.
Arguably it stops a lot of stupid threads from popping up but neoGAF already has a very scrutinizing process.

EDIT: So if 3 months are needed, how is foxu a full member? Is the need for a certain amount of time ignored after a certain number of posts?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's a good question. I've been lurking GAF since late 2007 and I've only seen cases where people get unjuniored early if they've done something intensely of-note. That's interesting. I wonder if the post count might outweigh the date joined sometimes now if they're rather large.

As for posting styles, well, back when I was a junior I was probably too nice. That's mostly because I hadn't posted on a message board in a discussion capacity in a long time. I'd been lurking GAF since late 2007 or so, so by the time I applied for an account, I got a better idea of how discussion was supposed to be around here. It's just too bad that a lot of the posters I used to follow since then have either gotten banned or just retired from GAF overall.

Noi

I started Zone of the Enders 2 HD a few hours ago.

....I got the Zone of the Enders 2 Plat a few minutes ago.

Edit:

LscXgAC.png

welp

Regiruler

That eggman walking gif is from a modded version of SA1's Windy Valley correct? I remember it because it was literally impossible to stay in the center.

Yeah I keep forgetting that Season 8 is apparently amazing.

7 had its moments though... like the musical episode! Or was that 6?

One of the two. 7 had the fantasy story finale that makes no sense because it was supposed to be like the fourth episode and got shoved to like episode 13... man, fuck NBC.

8 works because it's one of the few sitcom endings that gets to end on its own terms, and also understands that after 8 years, you've gotta treat your characters like the developed, mature people they should be at this point.
Basically fuck Friends. NO-ONE CARES ABOUT ROSS AND RACHEL.

8 works because it's one of the few sitcom endings that gets to end on its own terms, and also understands that after 8 years, you've gotta treat your characters like the developed, mature people they should be at this point.

This is pretty much exactly why I loved Season 8. It was the ultimate payoff of years of meaningful character development.

Sciz

The other two Colors boss themes are fine (Rotatatron's got that sweet chorus, and Captain Jelly DS has a drum 'n bass duo that just won't quit), but I'm a sucker for vs. Orcan & Skullian for some reason. By all accounts it's as repetitive as they come, but something about the slow burn and barely controlled dissonance speaks to me, and it mixes it up just enough to keep from getting stale.

I've pretty much already perfected my posting style over on a different site so being put on the burner until a set date really rubs me the wrong way.
Arguably it stops a lot of stupid threads from popping up but neoGAF already has a very scrutinizing process.

Getting banned while a junior is also permanent, no questions asked. It's restrictive, and has only grown more so over time, but it weeds out an awful lot of crappy posts in the long run.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I accidentally got spoiled on the Sonic After the Sequel soundtrack after listening to that Lightning Returns remix that Falk did, but I ended up listening to most of the soundtrack anyway (I haven't finished listening to it, but I'll do that when I'm playing something, I suspect). It's really freaking great so far.

I thought it was going to be the only/main contender for Doujin Album of the Year / Fan-released Soundtrack of the Year, but I got my hands on a new challenger, which is exciting for me because usually for doujin albums, there's just one that I say, "This stands head and shoulders above the rest."

So, uh, here's Mega Rock Carnival. It's one of the bigger doujin albums this year, I suspect. It's mostly because as I'd written: "Mega Rock Carnival is a remix album only available to those who have attended Rockman Fan Festa in Japan in July. It was produced by EtlanZ (http://www.etlanz.com/), and many of the remixers are people who are connected to Mega Man music in some fashion (Ippo Yamada, Ryo Kawakami, Manami Matsumae, Seiko Kobuchi, BUNBUN, Makoto Tomozawa, etc), well-known doujin artists (Yamajet, hally, EXCELSIA), regulars in the game/anime music industry (Shade, Takeaki Kunimoto, Masahiro Kajihara, Hiroaki Sano, Keishi Yonao, etc.), and people who do live shows (Ken Matsuzawa, Tendo, etc)." Hedonist was the mastering engineer much like he was on other doujin albums and a few other things.

I haven't put a ton of listening time into it, but most of what I've heard on the album for the past few days has been really fucking good with great sound samples and performances.

I ended up uploading a few things privately because I'd like to discuss it in a SotY nomination sort of fashion towards the end of the year, so here are some bits of the album that I picked to put up:
It's rather... Black Mages-esque in some fashion sometimes, but it blends a few genres into it too. I'm a sucker for albums with genre diversity (which is why I'm fond of the Sonic After/Before the Sequel stuff so far).

Needless to say, it's going to be a bit of a doozy to pick the best doujin album this year, but there is the possibility that I will give Best Fangame Album to Sonic After the Sequel, and the "This Should Be in a Game" award to Mega Rock Carnival.

However, I'm still wondering what's going to take home the Crazy Bus Award this year. I don't think I've heard a soundtrack that's outright terrible yet. To be honest, I've been slacking on going through/reviewing soundtracks this year primarily because of stress/being busy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hastily added Title~Opening Stage (Orchestra Ver.) [Rockman 7] to my previous post. It's pretty decent, too--the piano backing's really good, imo. Samples chosen don't tick me off, and they're very fun to listen to in parts.

I... I don't wanna give it to Yuzo Koshiro. ;-;

Oh maaaaan. If nothing worse comes along, I might have to give it to Yuzo Koshiro. :(

Guess what thread on gaming side I posted in.
I just saw that thread. Haha.

:(

why do we talk more about Nocturne in this thread than, like, Chemical Plant or Rooftop Run

what's wrong with us

or more specifically what's wrong with Beef

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There was a trophy in Time and Eternity for you to get all the lunches from both girls based on how much they love you. So I ended up having to save and load constantly in order to get the lunch data on the system file, and then pursue another lunch. For several hours.

I fucking hate the Tea Party theme. I never want to fucking hear it again. I can't fucking stand it.

THIS WAS NOT WORTH IT.

yRkVFBf.png

or more specifically what's wrong with Beef
He's the one who brings it up, not us.

PKrockin

THIS WAS NOT WORTH IT.

yRkVFBf.png
"I hated it so much I only platinumed it once."

So I guess it goes:
1 platinum: shit ring on the toilet of humanity (T&E)
2 platinums: somewhat disappointing if still good (Xillia)
3+ platinums?: GOTY (?)

Some of you have real game completion OCD.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, actually, that speedrun bet I'd had to carry out put me on the road to the platinum trophy, so the plat ended up happening anyway by the time I was done with the speedrun. We can blame our lurker Bean for that since he didn't hold up his end of the bargain.

The first playthrough was pretty long, though, because I wanted to do as much as possible to review it. Again, I don't feel like my impressions hold any water if a) I don't finish the game, and b) I don't do as much as possible in terms of what the game has to offer. If I don't do as much as possible with the game, I feel like my impressions become almost null and void.

I platinumed Xillia twice because I'd done it on my JP account which I barely use anymore, and I wanted to get the plat on my NA/GAF account instead. Same goes for Graces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom