• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

But one thing for sure is that the next handheld generation will end up being really interesting.

The way the Wii U is tanking, it might be time for the old handheld/home console convergence talk to start being considered more seriously. They've got the wireless streaming tech to do it down cold, it's just a matter of working out the power/price/size balance. And then convincing people to buy a Nintendo tablet with buttons that doesn't run anything the Android tablet they've already got can.

Noi

I do like that some companies are starting to join with the mobile side instead of fighting it. MS may be going a wee bit overboard on it (not every game needs a smartglass app, ffs), but using companion stuff on mobile to promote the console/portable side is a sound plan.

It's funny how even The Pokemon Company agrees with this. Pokedex app on iOS, TV show app on Android. And Nintendo had absolutely nothing to do with either one.

PKrockin

But in a larger sense, yeah, the industry as a whole seems to be kind of in this weird situation just because of the commonplace nature of phones/tablets. That's why the next generation's going to be interesting.

Yeah, not only has mobile gaming exploded since the the beginning of the generation but Steam has really hit it big, and indie gaming. Never a dull moment in a technology-related industry.

BlackJace

The way the Wii U is tanking, it might be time for the old handheld/home console convergence talk to start being considered more seriously. They've got the wireless streaming tech to do it down cold, it's just a matter of working out the power/price/size balance. And then convincing people to buy a Nintendo tablet with buttons that doesn't run anything the Android tablet they've already got can.

I'm sorry, but even with the Wii U tanking as hard as it is, the hybrid idea still kills a revenue source and could potentially fuck the company if it fails. I wish an industry business person like John Harker would touch on why its a poisonous position. It's a dumb theory I wish would stop being brought up.

No offense to you, of course.

qq more

I've kinda stopped reading Nintendo threads in-full since 2012, so someone has to enlighten me on this hybrid thing.

Wii U = part handheldish in a sense (off tv mode and gamepad and all)

Therefore next gen console should be a handheld hybrid of some sorts

I think it sounds cool but way too risky and I don't think it will happen.

Sciz

I'm sorry, but even with the Wii U tanking as hard as it is, the hybrid idea still kills a revenue source and could potentially fuck the company if it fails. I wish an industry business person like John Harker would touch on why its a poisonous position. It's a dumb theory I wish would stop being brought up.

Oh, it's dangerous, of course, and Nintendo's probably more willing to eat a loss on further home systems than to kill the line entirely given the choice. I'm not sure investors are willing to give that to them, though, and both markets have changed enough that I'm not as certain it's a completely stupid idea anymore. It's been the joke that you buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games since the N64, but it's finally getting to the point where that's all but true. They're never getting the AAA market back, the AA market's all but dead, and the indie boom is largely passing them by. They'll probably reach profitability on the Wii U at some point, but what do they do next? The Wii's extraordinary success was an outlier on their downward trend and gambling on recapturing the magic isn't a sustainable long term strategy. It also doesn't help that they've never been quite able to sustain both sides of the company at once on their own in the absence of third party support, although they're at least trying to fix that by starting new teams and doing more outsourced work.

So... I dunno. They certainly want to keep both if they can, but they're going to have a hell of a time getting their home systems back on track, and I'm not sure the opportunity cost of doing so is really worth it.

Sucks to be Iwata right now.

BlackJace

The industry is cyclical, as long as any one of the big 3 keep their head above water they'll be able to press on. Nintendo doesn't have any other divisions, so they have to be about profit, which, even with the monolithic failure of the Wii U so far, they seem to be doing.

They'll get there. They're just not playing smart right now. And yeah, I wouldn't want to be Iwata at the moment.

PKrockin

It's been almost two months now since I ordered Tales of Innocence R... today was the end of the estimated delivery range :\

It's... it's been almost two months?

Damn, time sure flies. Every time I think back I seem to be flying through the years faster. And I'm only in my 20s.

PKrockin

Where did you order it from? It shouldn't really take that long... unless you chose an ultra-slow shipping speed.

A seller with a good reputation through Amazon. Must have been "international standard", which is 21-42 business days. The other option was like $50+ if I remember correctly, and I'm a cheapass so I didn't want to spend more money on the shipping than the actual game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A seller with a good reputation through Amazon. Must have been "international standard", which is 21-42 business days. The other option was like $50+ if I remember correctly, and I'm a cheapass so I didn't want to spend more money on the shipping than the actual game.
How much did you pay for it on Amazon, out of curiosity?

Because Play-Asia had the budget version for this much + free shipping. That's where I ended up getting it from. Alternatively, Amiami and CDJapan.

PKrockin

How much did you pay for it on Amazon, out of curiosity?

Because Play-Asia had the budget version for this much + free shipping. That's where I ended up getting it from. Alternatively, Amiami and CDJapan.

$43 including shipping. I haven't heard of those last two sites, thanks for the link.

At least I'm not the only one who's noticing the months flying by, now that I'm spending my days in a cubicle instead of attending classes.

Tell me about it. Once I started working the time has just blazed by. When it hit me that most of my friends from school have already gotten married and started a family... wow. Feels like yesterday we were all in college or trying to find our first jobs.

I love Nintendoland.

More specifically, I love Takamaru's Ninja Castle. It's the best game of the bunch bar maybe f-zero.

Metroid Blast campaign mode multiplayer > all

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
While SA is open, I poked around the iOS game LP thread before falling asleep. I'll update the SA LP thread later on with this, but...

(Meccanical, this is for you. Watch this, please.)

I'll probably stick some of the older iOS LPs in that thread later like Rockman xover, Shaq Down, and Mega Man X iOS (I played this; it is shit. don't buy this, pls). I feel bad I never added these to the thread despite watching them back when they were put up.

TheOGB

Banned
It's a shame I only just realized how excellent Tekken 4's soundtrack is. Every track grabbed me immediately and provided an entertaining, satisfying journey.

I'd love to say more on it but it's 4 in the morning and I am already sleep sozzzZZZzzzZzzz

PKrockin

While SA is open, I poked around the iOS game LP thread before falling asleep. I'll update the SA LP thread later on with this, but...

(Meccanical, this is for you. Watch this, please.)

I'll probably stick some of the older iOS LPs in that thread later like Rockman xover, Shaq Down, and Mega Man X iOS (I played this; it is shit. don't buy this, pls). I feel bad I never added these to the thread despite watching them back when they were put up.

I actually stumbled on these videos through Youtube a few months ago. Good videos, horrible games.

Here's what I commented on the Xover video...

PKrockin 4 months ago

This is even worse than I imagined, because I actually thought the gameplay might involve some skill, like jumping over pits, or dodging bullets, or choosing the right attacks to beat bosses. But there's none of that. There's hardly anything here that can even be called a game. It's as much a game as doing the dishes.
Reply · 6

Blew my mind that a Mega Man game could have such brain-dead, shallow, pointless gameplay.

I mean, damn. At least All the Bravest has some fanservice, almost half-decent presentation and classic music. What does Xover have going for it?

edit: haha, he did a video on Sonic Dash and Hedgehog Dash, the ripoff posted about in this thread a few days ago.

qq more

Apparently if you hate PewDiePie and how much money he makes then you're just jealous! Yep, jealousy.

I've learned something new everyday. The things people actually defend smh

PKrockin

Apparently if you hate PewDiePie and how much money he makes then you're just jealous! Yep, jealousy.

I've learned something new everyday. The things people actually defend smh

Those people actually think screeching like a chimpanzee in front of a camera every day for the amusement of dumb children is living the dream, huh. I dunno, even my lazy ass always wanted to make something I could be proud of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

qq more

If I were to make something like PewDiePie's videos and become rich/famous because of it I wouldn't be proud of myself. In fact, I would be very disgusted at myself, very disgusted. If I were to be famous, I'd want to be known for something good!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually stumbled on these videos through Youtube a few months ago. Good videos, horrible games.

Here's what I commented on the Xover video...

Blew my mind that a Mega Man game could have such brain-dead, shallow, pointless gameplay.

I mean, damn. At least All the Bravest has some fanservice, almost half-decent presentation and classic music. What does Xover have going for it?

edit: haha, he did a video on Sonic Dash and Hedgehog Dash, the ripoff posted about in this thread a few days ago.
Ha, I'll add that too. I noticed it in the thread OP, but my eyes drifted down to the other videos and I was all, "Oh yeah, these old things that I never linked! Haaaaaa."

That Rockman xover video is atrocious. There is legitimately no sense of progression in that game. Stats don't matter, what you do doesn't seem to matter, there is no freaking music (WTF), it's jarring seeing the gameplay stop whenever you get something collectable in the middle of the level, bosses are effing skippable, all of the stages look boring as hell (but heck, MMX iOS looked boring as hell when I played it)...

Kusoge.

Those people actually think screeching like a chimpanzee in front of a camera every day for the amusement of dumb children is living the dream, huh. I dunno, even my lazy ass always wanted to make something I could be proud of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Those people aren't really aware that SA exists and pioneered the current/original video/text LP format and set rules in place in order to make their playthroughs solid and easy to listen to/easy to read.

It's just interesting to see Let's Play overall attributed to YouTube when in reality, people ended up adopting the format and putting their spin on it... to... varying results. At least we have Retsupurae to sort out the shit from the decent, but lordy, it boggles my mind at how LPs have gotten such a poor reputation on account of people who legitimately don't do it correctly like PDP, DSP, etc. I like informative LPs. That's what I go to LP videos and the SA LP forum for. If it's a game I haven't played to death, I like learning more about it because generally those LPs are well-researched or they have a lot of humour throughout the playthrough.

And fuck, I have zero idea how PDP got so popular with his rape jokes / constant screaming and shouting and making a spectacle out of himself. LPs were never ever designed to be around the personalities discussing the game, though that's generally a plus when you genuinely make yourself likeable and easy to listen to. They were designed around discussing the game at hand and sharing the information you know about it + possibly playing it well. Not... promoting your personality to the point where the game you're playing is secondary to the show you're trying to put on.

qq more

why isnt there an option to view the non-mobile version of the site on these pages?

Thanks for the heads up, by the way! This ASRT sale is cheaper than what it was on a Steam sale a few months ago, right?

Tizoc

why isnt there an option to view the non-mobile version of the site on these pages?

Thanks for the heads up, by the way! This ASRT sale is cheaper than what it was on a Steam sale a few months ago, right?

Technically yes, on Amazon it is cheaper by $1.50 from the last steam sale.

Greenmangaming had 4-pack for $15 some time ago too.

EDIT: My purchases from yesterday, all for around $100 (BI is a used copy)
30JxsbG.jpg

I'm pretty jealous of PDP, to be honest. That much money for just screaming into a camera? Dude is living the dream.

lol @ "wanting to make something you're proud of." That's just as bad as claiming everyone who hates PDP is jealous.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The condescension that's going on with respect to LPs kind of makes me chuckle.

"Why would you want to watch someone play a video game?
bSVr5cd.gif
"

I watch some of you play video games all the time, and I like that some of you watch me play video games, too. There's legitimately nothing wrong with watching someone good at a game showing off a game that they like and actively having a conversation about the game when the person is playing it. I dunno. It's the equivalent of watching TV for me sometimes. I don't watch TV anymore outside of sports and the news, so walkthroughs/playthroughs/LPs are a source of entertainment for me, and they feature people who are good at a game and I like watching the game in action. *shrug*

qq more

The condescension that's going on with respect to LPs kind of makes me chuckle.

"Why would you want to watch someone play a video game?
bSVr5cd.gif
"

Yeah I don't get those kind of comments. It's neat watching LPs with very informative commentary on good games and hilarious LPs riffing on bad games. And sometimes it's just plain fun watching people play.

By the way, tiggerkiddo. About Ratchet & Clank HD Collection... I just realized that was what I bought my brother last Christmas. I'm borrowing it from him now.

I feel bad for him then. Effortless bullshit

I'd rather be proud with work that took actual fucking effort.

iAhtlqVc7KYyQ.gif

Yes, because all the money and fame and fans he has are somehow disqualified because you think he's not putting any "real effort" into what he does.

You are such a child.

edit: oh I figured it out and god this is one conversation I don't wanna be part of.

Schala, tell them to shut up, you're better at it than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom