• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario ff

Banned
You all had better be getting Rayman Legends next week.
pphZi6m.gif
But I'm already playing it this week! Although it's taking some time since I'm going through the main levels in co-op. I'm just doing those daily challenges when I'm alone and got Gold Cups so far in most of them. I don't have what it takes to push for top 10 tho. D:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
All you lucky people with copies this weeeeeeek. >_<

I hope you're all liking it. I haven't peeked into the OT and I don't really want to until I get my copy next week. Dario makes it sound fun.

Is FFIV fun? My friend got it, and wants me to get it. I often don't trust his opinion since he buys anything.
Get the DS version. Then it at least has a modicum of fun because they finally decided add some semblance of difficulty to the game.

Every other version isn't good outside of the OG SNES script which makes me laugh. I did a playthrough of that version last year in the Final Fantasy Anniversary thread along with FFMystic Quest and the beginning of FF6 if you're curious.

Nah. I played the Origins demo and didn't enjoy it. It felt so slippery. Lord knows there's plenty of other platformers to pick from this year.

I'm probably going to pick up W101 when... oh shit I'm home now, I can try the demo! Finally.
Spend time with the demo exploring your mechanics as opposed to completing the main objective at times. That's what I did and I ended up enjoying it in the end because it really is a thing that you have to learn what mechanics are available to you before you kind of see what Platinum is doing with the game. It's like every other Platinum game: explore and find some depth. On the surface it looks like Pikmin, but when you're actually attacking, it feels like a Platinum game.

With that said, the demo does a pretty shitty job of explaining stuff to people, so I think some people got turned off by it. Kinda like the Rising demo for some people.

And Blaze is right; the Legends demo felt tighter than Origins.

AniHawk is having a great year, I bet. He loves platformers.
Ahaha. I bet. I wonder if he's even going to play DKC: Tropical Freeze since he didn't like DKCR much. I might give Tropical Freeze a shot if he seems to like it enough, but overall, I didn't care about DKC1/2/R much. Returns had the misfortune of being released in a year with a ton of other platformers I liked a lot. >.>

I might not agree with AniHawk on a lot of RPGs outside of Infinite Space maybe, but when it comes to platformers, he's someone I pay lots of attention to whenever the subject comes up.

Three day work weekend? Pfffft...haven't had those in years. Close I get is having my regular two days off, coming in to work one day and then having the next day off.

PKrockin

Spend time with the demo exploring your mechanics as opposed to completing the main objective at times. That's what I did and I ended up enjoying it in the end because it really is a thing that you have to learn what mechanics are available to you before you kind of see what Platinum is doing with the game. It's like every other Platinum game: explore and find some depth. On the surface it looks like Pikmin, but when you're actually attacking, it feels like a Platinum game.

With that said, the demo does a pretty shitty job of explaining stuff to people, so I think some people got turned off by it. Kinda like the Rising demo for some people.

Right. To me, it's just common sense to figure out what the controls are before wading into the chaos. Why would you race through a demo, smashing buttons with no idea what you were doing? That doesn't give you a good picture of what the full game is like. Even if a game has garbage tutorials, I'm trying to have fun playing it so it's just natural for me to try to figure it out myself or look up some media that explains it better.

The demo was pretty cool. It looks like the game has a lot of secrets and the unite forms are fun to use. Thankfully it plays nothing like Pikmin which is what I feared when I first saw it.

For a proper overview of how the game works, Chip Cheezum posted sort of a let's play of the demo. I appreciate that he's been trying to promote the game to his viewers.

Hey

I know you don't like Super Emeralds. I know this.

But I'ma get you hyper today.

'cuz it's Friday...you ain't got no job...and you ain't got shit to do.

BlackJace

Beef, you're the president, you should be expecting no days off. This shit is round the clock. Can't stand the heat? Get out of the Chao Garden.

AniHawk

well i'm going to at least give tf a shot. i didn't like the first dkc or the first metroid prime much, and the second of each turned out much much better. i feel that the controls will mostly be better, allowing in less frustration in what should be better designed levels. now that they've established sort of what a normal dkc should be, they have no choice but to get crazier with it in the next one.

without playing them, i feel this is how i'll probably rank the games before the year is through:

1. tearaway - just got a feeling about it. it's almost the only thing selling me on the vita, but it comes across as genuinely charming and inventive and a real breath of fresh air for the 3d platforming genre.
2. rayman legends - an even more ambitious rayman origins is probably going to be amazing, and i suspect it would have topped the list without tearaway being involved. i've become less excited over the music levels since sound shapes came out and tackled that idea more thoughtfully, but legends still looks amazing regardless.
3. sonic lost world - like sonic colors, there will be a lot of exploration in this game. the presentation is unusual, and only somewhat similar to super mario galaxy. instead of being a ripoff, this game actually looks to be a really fresh take on the 3d platformer. i'll throw the 3ds version in here too even though it's a different game. it'd probably go at the bottom of the list separately, but mostly because the load times between areas will grate on my nerves, i'm sure.
4. new super luigi u - this is placed a bit low given my love for nsmbw and nsmb2. i don't have nsmbu yet, nor have i played it. i think i might be succumbing to nsmb fatigue a bit, but i'm still looking forward to this a lot.
5. super mario 3d world - i suspect this will be a very enjoyable experience in the long run. i've gotten over my initial distaste for the game, which i think mostly stemmed from being forced to play the game with just a d-pad and 3 other players. when i went back and had more alone time and could play on the gamepad, i was having a lot more fun exploring the levels. i just hope it's not as sinfully easy as super mario 3d land.
6. dkc tf - even though it's one of the lowest on the list, i still have high hopes for it, as aforementioned. basically, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out to be the dkc2 of retro's library.
7. ratchet & clank: into the nexus - about 3 years ago, this might have topped the list given how much i loved a crack in time. i know that this has the talent back, but it's still hard to get excited for it after a few years of unexciting ratchet games that i've hyped myself over before release.

at this point in time, i expect most of these games to make my top 10 bet games of the year list, joining the last of us and fire emblem.

also keeping an eye on puppeteer, pac-man, and shovel knight. i'll probably get shovel knight, but i don't have much hope for the other two.

I'm moving in to my new place, personally.

And I've been packing away stuff for the past two hours. My back huuuuuurts.

BTW, the new place won't have Internet until Friday. I'm gonna miss all the FF7 fun :<

Tizoc

well i'm going to at least give tf a shot. i didn't like the first dkc or the first metroid prime much, and the second of each turned out much much better. i feel that the controls will mostly be better, allowing in less frustration in what should be better designed levels. now that they've established sort of what a normal dkc should be, they have no choice but to get crazier with it in the next one.

without playing them, i feel this is how i'll probably rank the games before the year is through:

1. tearaway - just got a feeling about it. it's almost the only thing selling me on the vita, but it comes across as genuinely charming and inventive and a real breath of fresh air for the 3d platforming genre.
2. rayman legends - an even more ambitious rayman origins is probably going to be amazing, and i suspect it would have topped the list without tearaway being involved. i've become less excited over the music levels since sound shapes came out and tackled that idea more thoughtfully, but legends still looks amazing regardless.
3. sonic lost world - like sonic colors, there will be a lot of exploration in this game. the presentation is unusual, and only somewhat similar to super mario galaxy. instead of being a ripoff, this game actually looks to be a really fresh take on the 3d platformer. i'll throw the 3ds version in here too even though it's a different game. it'd probably go at the bottom of the list separately, but mostly because the load times between areas will grate on my nerves, i'm sure.
4. new super luigi u - this is placed a bit low given my love for nsmbw and nsmb2. i don't have nsmbu yet, nor have i played it. i think i might be succumbing to nsmb fatigue a bit, but i'm still looking forward to this a lot.
5. super mario 3d world - i suspect this will be a very enjoyable experience in the long run. i've gotten over my initial distaste for the game, which i think mostly stemmed from being forced to play the game with just a d-pad and 3 other players. when i went back and had more alone time and could play on the gamepad, i was having a lot more fun exploring the levels. i just hope it's not as sinfully easy as super mario 3d land.
6. dkc tf - even though it's one of the lowest on the list, i still have high hopes for it, as aforementioned. basically, i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out to be the dkc2 of retro's library.
7. ratchet & clank: into the nexus - about 3 years ago, this might have topped the list given how much i loved a crack in time. i know that this has the talent back, but it's still hard to get excited for it after a few years of unexciting ratchet games that i've hyped myself over before release.

at this point in time, i expect most of these games to make my top 10 bet games of the year list, joining the last of us and fire emblem.

also keeping an eye on puppeteer, pac-man, and shovel knight. i'll probably get shovel knight, but i don't have much hope for the other two.

What about Castle of Illusion? It's releasing soon.

When's Into the Nexus releasing again?

Razzer

Woot, my account was finally activated! Just wanted to say hi cus i'll probably be spending some time in this thread, you guys and gals all seem like a super friendly bunch.

TheOGB

Banned
Woot, my account was finally activated! Just wanted to say hi cus i'll probably be spending some time in this thread, you guys and gals all seem like a super friendly bunch.
Welcome to GAF.

Razzer almost sounds like some crazy 90s character name, but then it reminds me of Raz from Psychonauts.

Razzers, welcome.
Understandably, you must be very excited and somewhat nervous.
Never you mind though, this is a happy place.

Anyone here can tell you, Sonic GAF is one of the best communities ever.
We are always cordial.
Always helpful.
You won't be disappointed.

I read "Nocturne from The Dark Brotherhood" as "Nocturne in the Moonlight" (Symphony of the Night's Japanese name) for some reason.

Welcome, Raz.

All the furniture is moved, although some of it needs reassembly. This has been a fun weekend so far.

Also, hey, thanks for the Freedom Planet topic, Tizoc. I'd been debating making a thread for that, but there'd be no way I could do a good one.

Regiruler

We are going to steal your soul to power our god Solaris.

Oh, and stay out of off-topic.
His initiation will consist of listening to Nocturne from The Dark Brotherhood on loop for 6 hours.
You monster.
It's friiiiiiiday, SonicGAF. And a three day weekend at that. Feel alive.

Believe.
School starts on tuesday.

Noi

I really hope the new Inafune kickstarter pulls through. If Capcom won't fulfill my mega man craving themselves, I'll help someone else who can.

she also has a red robot dog that transforms into vehicles, and a little pet robot with a head that opens up

Inafune, we will see you in courts

Sciz

Not to mention how the pitch video was packed full of the least subtle callbacks I've ever seen.

I suspect we'll be seeing some character design changes before all's said and done.

Totally putting together that mod for the Sonic Generations Unleashed Project that tweaks the S-Rank scores to be more in line with the original game

It only took me, what, five months, after a bunch of people told me I should?

Razzer

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. For those of you wondering about the name, it's a sonic related reference from my childhood, so it is topical to the thread, though only i know what it means.

Regiruler

I really feel bad for Inafune. But if he wants to tackle the genre again he needs to use a different theme, seriously.
EDIT: Jesus Christ 900k goal?

Nintendoland Spoiler:
holy fuck there's another crash course board

qq more

oh hey AniHawk! Looking forward to your opinions on the platformers when it's all said and done. It's absolutely my favorite genre too!

Welcome to SonicGAF!

Literally (not)Mega Man

PwjnoPs.jpg

g3xUPzD.jpg

a4d2477d01ae7a44bffec74b42906c0d_large.jpg
This looks awesome! I don't care how much of a ripoff of Mega Man it is. It's better than no Mega Man at all. Plus INAFUNE is on board! Aw yeah

QQ Moe approves of this post.
HEY!

(The character design is neat though)

Totally putting together that mod for the Sonic Generations Unleashed Project that tweaks the S-Rank scores to be more in line with the original game

It only took me, what, five months, after a bunch of people told me I should?

Awesome. I'll totally get the mod. Just make sure to keep the gameplay differences between Unleashed and Generations in mind just in case Generations' gameplay makes getting better ranks easier than Unleashed's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Backing that shit. I'll take that Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter Mighty Switch Force No. 9, please.

With that said, I'm surprised the Stretch Goals are so much. I certainly hope we meet them (and since the media will pick the story up, they probably will be met), but yeah, I'd like to play this on other platforms since my PC is just a piddly little laptop. :p

Oooh, thanks for this. Looking forward to your GotY list at the end of the year. :D

I've already got Shovel Knight in queue since I backed the Kickstarter for it. And I guess I'll get Puppeteer as well. I feel like the controls in Tropical Freeze will be better too, by virtue of a lack of a focus on motion controls. But I'm waiting for impressions first. I'm not counting my chickens on that one yet.

The demo was pretty cool. It looks like the game has a lot of secrets and the unite forms are fun to use. Thankfully it plays nothing like Pikmin which is what I feared when I first saw it.
Not to mention lots of references to other games and sentai shows and stuff. Erdick's shield made me nerd out.

I'm not much of a Pikmin person either, so playing the demo was quite a relief to me.

I'm moving in to my new place, personally.

And I've been packing away stuff for the past two hours. My back huuuuuurts.

BTW, the new place won't have Internet until Friday. I'm gonna miss all the FF7 fun :<
You missed the Sweet Fuse "fun" yesterday. (It wasn't fun. It was pretty bad and I was getting kind of irritated with how stupid the characters were being.)

Hmmm. Well, since I'm going back to school on Thursday (for two hours), and Bean and I are trying to finish up Luigi's Mansion before then, maybe I won't have an FF7 stream until Friday or something if you'd like. I've been meaning to do some offstream Limit Break acquisition because I would never do that while you guys are watching since that's kind of not entertaining.

I just haven't had time to do the grinding because I... haven't been emotionally feeling up to doing much, and I've been playing Luigi's Mansion, finishing two JP VNs off, and playing the new Inafune visual novel.

Welcome.

Stay away from Beef. He's a bad influence.

Regiruler

People are treating this like the second coming of Christ and it's seriously pissing me off.

I'm going to chill here until I calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom