• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

People are treating this like the second coming of Christ and it's seriously pissing me off.

Rage mode activated.

Euqsde5.jpg

Regiruler

Well, post reasons why you think it's not that big of a deal at least.

I mean, it's essentially an exact copy of megaman, but the parts I don't really care for. The music that was posted was meh compared to Matsumae's previous work, Shovel Knight has the "feel" down (along with bosses that I think are far cooler), and the artwork reminds me of the mighty series which I did not really like from my time with it.

EDIT: Not to mention, it makes me feel like me and the game I wished to support (Shovel Knight) got completely trampled over.

qq more

We just want a new Mega Man game or something like that and Inafune is making that possible. No one is acting like this is the second coming of Christ. We're just damn happy we're getting what we wanted. The fact it's a ripoff of Mega Man is justified because we're likely never going to get another game like that from Capcom in a long time. Not to mention it's done by the same creator...

So yeah, I think there's nothing wrong about this.

Also I'm not sure what you mean about Shovel Knight getting trampled...

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, and I mean technically, if you worshipped Inafune as a god and Mega Man as Jesus, then this is kinda the Second Coming, isn't it? :p

Sciz

EDIT: Not to mention, it makes me feel like me and the game I wished to support (Shovel Knight) got completely trampled over.

Shovel Knight did well for being a straightforward 8-bit game from a bunch of guys with a sort of dubious WayForward pedigree. A project like this is on a whole different hype tier.

Which one of these two is less ugly

GJzsswV.png

j2drLCa.png

I feel like I kind of vomited colors and fonts everywhere but I don't know if I can do much better. Somehow I became real crap at doing logos when I used to be pretty good

Tizoc

Capcom needs its IPs taken away. They're like abused kids.

i'M curious as to why big companies like SEGA and Capcom don't just do Kickstarters, they tend to deliver most of the time from what I've seen.
In the end it all comes down to outsourcing to the right dev.

Tizoc

They can't even afford to feed that one. Its next meal will be the free to play crumbs under the fridge.

It's been self sufficent for a long time now;
Street Fighter 2 will still be played 5 years from now
Street FIghter 3 3S will still be played 5 years from now
SF4 will still be played 5 years from now

The next SF can be a F2P module and it won't be a big deal, because its predecessors would still have scenes and still be played then.

BlackJace

It's been self sufficent for a long time now;
Street Fighter 2 will still be played 5 years from now
Street FIghter 3 3S will still be played 5 years from now
SF4 will still be played 5 years from now

The next SF can be a F2P module and it won't be a big deal, because its predecessors would still have scenes and still be played then.

At least don't make it like Killer Instinct 2013, where you pay obscene amounts of money for character packs.

Tizoc

At least don't make it like Killer Instinct 2013, where you pay obscene amounts of money for character packs.

I think Capcpom are doing a wait and see approach by seeing how KI 2013/2014 will perform. Personally if it were $30, I wouldn't mind it having 8 characters mainly due to development costs on the title.

Speaking of which, it would be hilarious if Capcpom decided to contact Keiji, fund him the 2. 5 mil for Mighty #9 but turn into next gen Megaman for X1, PS4, Steam etc. while at the same time giving him free reign on what to do with it.

$20 for 8 characters (7, I guess, since Fulgore's in the base download?) doesn't seem bad to me. Only a fiver more than Injustice's season pass for twice as many characters.

TheOGB

Banned
I predict I'm about to have a shitty week or next few days, but luckily I can be terrible at reading situations when I need to be

Doing okay. Bought a bunch of stuff online (AV Famicom, DuckTales 2, All of the GB Famicom games, just to name a few) and just generally chilling out. Life's been pretty fucking great lately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
so how is everyone doing today
I'm pretty happy. (ღ˘‿˘ღ)

I had tons of fun last night. I was so happy that I didn't think of stuff that usually stresses me out for the first time in a while. Might take another day to myself, too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a Nexus 7 too. I like it a lot because I don't have to keep using this large hulking thing of a laptop sometimes. But I am thinking purchasing a keyboard for it so I can use it for other things. I bought a capacitative stylus for it, and it was a good decision.

Oh, yeah, I wrote something for that Keiji Inafune dating sim game with art by the Ace Attorney artist:

Okay, well...

At this juncture, I don't think this should have been an otome VN game at all. Not even a visual novel game. Being in a visual novel genre makes the game overall boring. It tries to have half-assed puzzle mechanics to make it seem like you're legitimately doing something of merit, but you really aren't. You're just reading the dialogue and selecting the most obvious answer. This isn't puzzle-solving. This is simple reading comprehension. I was looking at the first puzzle room, almost expecting to do something, when I'm just making decisions as to who to go with or who to chastise. Honestly, this game would have felt more consistent if it had been an adventure/puzzle game as opposed to a light VN.

And the date mechanics just seemed to have been thrown in there at the last minute. It's not even difficult to try to pair up with someone since the options are so specific. In other VNs (not just otome games, but VNs in general), it's something you genuinely have to work for. Now perhaps I feel like this is highlighted to me even moreso because I'd recently replayed Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling where you genuinely had to work for the ending you got (and in the special case of Hiyoku Renri no Darling where you had to reload saves in order to respond to the texts you want / not send certain texts to get on certain paths), but when the dating mechanics in this feel so half-baked, you can’t help but to wonder if they threw it in the last moment. Some of the reviews from the Japanese version on various sites had said that the romance aspect was incredibly lacking and I should have anticipated that, but even the small snippets of romance in this game are kind of boring or not as mature as I’d like to the point where I’m just wondering if the genre is even for me anymore. In short, I feel like the relationship mechanics in this game are incredibly ham-fisted at best. You don’t have to try, and there is no sense of trying to get to know the characters involved in the game because everything is spoonfed to you to the point where you're not really learning anything at all to intuitively react to them. If you need to tell someone off, you can generally tell them off or be nice to them because it's so obvious as to how their minds work.

People who'd asked whether or not this is a game that's equivalent to 999 / VLR / Danganronpa are sorely mistaken in asking that particular question since this game is absolutely nothing like these games in terms of puzzle elements or even down to how the characters carry the narrative. You watch them waffle around an answer even though you’ve gotten the point and can solve the puzzle yourself, but you have to get the point where they’re desperate for an answer in the dialogue to do this makeshift attempt to try to give the player a sense of agency, when in reality it’s one of the shallowest attempts at puzzle saving for the sake of giving some sense of agency in a game when in reality the game would have been so much better as a point-and-click or adventure game in order to facilitate player agency.

In short, the game seems to have a sense of identity crisis where it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be at its core function. Its way of solving the player agency issue is to give shoddy attempts at puzzle-solving mechanics when the answer’s been reasoned out already and the answer’s in your face halfway through the characters’ deliberations to the point where you’re wondering when the game is finally going to give you a chance to finally progress.

Granted, I have finished two routes so far. Perhaps my opinion may change if I finish all of the routes, but so far this does not look promising in the slightest. This game lacks consistency and its bugging the hell out of me.

I have other issues, too, but the glaring inconsistencies and lack of identity that this game has are the two biggest issues for me right now and it makes the game incredibly boring for me. It's not structured well at all.
I'll finish off a few more routes and write end-game impressions, but lordy, this game should not have been a VN game. The structure is all wrong.

I took some screenshots, too, so I'll upload those when I get a chance.

Screenshots:

sweetfuseatyourside_bes99.jpeg
sweetfuseatyourside_ehsip.jpeg

sweetfuseatyourside_husmc.jpeg
sweetfuseatyourside_gssio.jpeg

sweetfuseatyourside_vgs77.jpeg
sweetfuseatyourside_g7svd.jpeg

sweetfuseatyourside_3is2l.jpeg
sweetfuseatyourside_32sz0.jpeg

I'm bored. Sue me for posting screens that encapsulate my boredom.

qq more

...at least the art style is good, but then again it is the Ace Attorney artist!

shame the game was boring as hell when i watched the stream, the premise sounded hilarious... oh that inafune

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm making the guy who looks like Godot my husband in the game because I think he's dressed nicely, is clean-shaven, wears sunglasses sometimes, and he's nice/disciplined. I also have a thing for men with glasses.

But yes, after doing a few routes, the game is still kind of boring to me. It still has the same problems I'd addressed yesterday.

Sciz

I shouldn't have been so quick to hate on Mighty 9. They actually seem to have a positive relationship with YCG.

I'd be amazed if the indie scene wasn't falling all over itself to help the likes of Inafune and Inti break away from the publisher model.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The reason why I'm so interested in Inafune's Kickstarter is because it might encourage smaller Japanese developers/doujin developers/indie developers to use it more often to fund projects.

There are great indie devs and smaller projects in Japan that have been released for free or for little amounts of money on PC that could take advantage of the Kickstarter model in order to put a game on other platforms, so perhaps Inafune's project, if funded and takes off, will influence smaller Japanese devs to apply the model to their games for their benefit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The last time I changed my avatar, people didn't remember who I was. As much as I'd love to change to a Call avatar, I kinda can't. I like this avatar since Sciz corrected it for me, anyway!

Noi and I were trying to think of non-port/re-released/old games I complimented a lot this year. So far, we have:
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Dream Team Bros (much to Nocturnowl's dismay)
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Guacamelee!
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (and I still have to finish that post I was working on)
Q4'll be better. I didn't get to play a lot of point and clicks like I usually do this year.

I find it somewhat regrettable that I spent the first half of the year not caring much about RPGs/2013 games and spent most of my time with platformers / old games / Mega Man, because I really didn't let myself experience a lot of 2013's games. But to be fair, I ended up discovering lots of good stuff in Asura's Wrath, Time Travelers, Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd, so... yep. I remember keeping tabs on stuff I'd played for the first time in this list but I kinda forgot most of the new stuff I played this year (both old games I've yet to get to + new stuff). I should keep a list / spreadsheet.

Wow, getting all the trophies in Sonic CD was pretty easy. Only had to redo a few stages in time attack.
I still have to do that. I was in the middle of doing it until my PS3 went kaput and I kind of lost all motivation to do it. I just have the Time Stone trophy left, and if my cloud save is accurate, I should still be at the 5th Time Stone stage.

I would do it right now, but I'm in the middle of Luigi's Mansion 2 and the Inafune Dating Game right now. >.>

Majora's Mask makes for the best anything.

Noi and I were trying to think of non-port/re-released/old games I complimented a lot this year. So far, we have:
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Dream Team Bros (much to Nocturnowl's dismay)
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Guacamelee!
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (and I still have to finish that post I was working on)
Q4'll be better. I didn't get to play a lot of point and clicks like I usually do this year.

I find it somewhat regrettable that I spent the first half of the year not caring much about RPGs/2013 games and spent most of my time with platformers / old games / Mega Man, because I really didn't let myself experience a lot of 2013's games. But to be fair, I ended up discovering lots of good stuff in Asura's Wrath, Time Travelers, Sora no Kiseki: The 3rd, so... yep. I remember keeping tabs on stuff I'd played for the first time in this list but I kinda forgot most of the new stuff I played this year (both old games I've yet to get to + new stuff). I should keep a list / spreadsheet.

Yeah well you're saying Dream Team Bros so clearly my influence is still there, waiting to take hold.
I didn't forget about that AC write up, I still have dreams of it being my morning reading material one day.

But hey even I don't have to be critical about games all the time myself, the last three games I purchased have been top 5 of the year material for me so far, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends, when did August of all months get so great?!
Time for things to go down the pan soon enough, PS plus has presented me with the Jak and Daxter trilogy, currently enjoying Jak 1, will foolishly venture back to Jak 2 and see how long I last because video game masochism is kind of a thing here in Sonic gaf, okay it's not a new game but it will probably kill my good vibes regardless.

Though similarly I spent the first half of the year playing games from previous years myself, I recall a brief Indie binge with Bastion, Dustforce, Hotline Miami in particular but i'm sure there were others.
Dustforce is getting a console port now, I may have to double dip because my laptop sounds like it wants to die running most games.

Tizoc

so how is everyone doing today

Just came back from the dentist, blasted tooth doesn't hurt anymore~

Sweet Fuse is like a...$25 animated slideshow story. The puzzles are solved for you but you get to see how the characters react to them.
I just like it because I get to romance 6 hot dudes...and Wakasa.

Razzer

Yeah well you're saying Dream Team Bros so clearly my influence is still there, waiting to take hold.
I didn't forget about that AC write up, I still have dreams of it being my morning reading material one day.

But hey even I don't have to be critical about games all the time myself, the last three games I purchased have been top 5 of the year material for me so far, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends, when did August of all months get so great?!
Time for things to go down the pan soon enough, PS plus has presented me with the Jak and Daxter trilogy, currently enjoying Jak 1, will foolishly venture back to Jak 2 and see how long I last because video game masochism is kind of a thing here in Sonic gaf, okay it's not a new game but it will probably kill my good vibes regardless.

Though similarly I spent the first half of the year playing games from previous years myself, I recall a brief Indie binge with Bastion, Dustforce, Hotline Miami in particular but i'm sure there were others.
Dustforce is getting a console port now, I may have to double dip because my laptop sounds like it wants to die running most games.

I feel like Jak 2 was really a case of wasted potential, the game has pretty solid base gameplay and some really nice platforming sections, but unfortunately the flaws it does have are so extreme it ruins any chance the game had of being fun, namely the massive difficulty spikes and atrocious checkpointing. I have nightmares to this day of my zoomer exploding over and over again in the stupid street race with Errol.

That said the trials of manhood are probably the best section in the series so if you are okay with suffering a bit you at least have something to look forward to. Also the 3rd game is MUCH better so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

As for this year's games i'm pretty sad because i simply cannot afford more than one or two of them, yet there are quite a few i want. The three you mentioned are all on the list, especially Rayman, but there is also GTAV, Rome II, Sonic Lost World, DKCTF, Mario World plus Kart, it's like I'm drowning in them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom