• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

6driy5F.jpg

Should I do it?

If i'm going down i'll happily take you with me PK old boy, i'll need some company down in the DARKER AND EDGIER depths of hell.

Or you could just play crash mode in Burnout 3, either way it will be a car wreck of an experience.

qq more

whats wrong with you people

oh wait i forgot i fucking borrowed FFXIII AND FFXIII-2 from my brother as well (don't worry, he hated the games too)

PKrockin

I've been playing good games like Sonic CD and Tales of Xillia enough lately.

I haven't played the first Jak so I'll just be jumping in. I have no idea what makes this game so horrible though. I mean, it's Jak! And Naughty Dog! Can't be that bad.

pffft Nocturnowl doesn't even sleep in the day

what kind of an owl are you? YOU POSER
I sleep through the morning at least.

I've been playing good games like Sonic CD and Tales of Xillia enough lately.

I haven't played the first Jak so I'll just be jumping in. I have no idea what makes this game so horrible though. I mean, it's Jak! And Naughty Dog! Can't be that bad.

This will be a treat, though part of the disgust will be lost on you having not played the original, part of the "fun" is the jarring tone switch for no good reason.

PKrockin

This will be a treat, though part of the disgust will be lost on you having not played the original, part of the "fun" is the jarring tone switch for no good reason.

I can tell just from the disc art that this is some sort of lame attempt at a dark and edgy sequel, but yeah, I won't have fond memories of the original game that would change my opinion of 2 from "bad" to "personally offensive".

My only experience with the series is watching this video that calls one moment in the third game one of the saddest video game moments of all time.

It's not too long, is it? I don't have the sheer force of will to pull a Schala and play a terrible game long enough to get the true end and platinum it. Seriously...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Where is AniHawk to knock some sense into your damn minds? We call Jak II a bad game in this thread for a reason...

Bean said I should play Uncharted 2 soon. He's afraid that he's overselling it to me at this point. Maybe when I feel like... not garbage and up to finishing DuckTales.

Oh hey it's a Trails in the Sky sequel. That we will never get.

Nice background. 全てを切り裂く!
獣破、轟衝斬!

I still think the west should've gotten Nayuta no Kiseki. You may not be able to catch all of the Kiseki and Ys references and resemblances in the game, but it's definitely fun and fulfilling in terms of combat and platforming. The music's great, to boot. I'm glad I'd imported the LE for that one (because it comes with the cutest plush).

It stealth downloaded onto my PS3 I swear!
My butt. You just wanted to experience the horror.

I thought Mansions B and E were the best and that the two mid game ones (C and D) were nice ideas but not that great in execution, nothing truly bad in there though, it's all pretty solid.
E's okay so far. It's fun and "fun" at the same time. I do appreciate that it's an amalgamation of the previous mansions before it. I don't like Mansion B that much because the spaces are way too cramped for combat sometimes. Hard to get enough room to dodge while charging.

For the most part, the game's pretty enjoyable and solid. I'm liking my time with it.

I'd say to maybe go for the PS3 version, it will save you wanting to murder CPU controlled Globox when doing 100% runs on the Murfy stages, if you don't have any chums that you can trick into playing games with you in person then the Wii U's extra co-op opportunities wont be worth much to you.
Of course jury is still out as for which version is the best, QTE Murfy sounds fiddly for some later stages but I figure it works well enough.
Think I might spring for the PS3 version, anyhow. It's cheaper than the Wii U version + local co-op isn't really much of an option for me.

Eh, we'll know when Legends is out everywhere as to which version is the better buy. I am bummed that the Vita version apparently has missing content.

It's not too long, is it? I don't have the sheer force of will to pull a Schala and play a terrible game long enough to get the true end and platinum it. Seriously...
Pull a Noi and do it. He hated it and still platinumed it.

KH1 and Birth by Sleep are the only KH games I'd feel comfortable recommending to anyone that hasn't played a game in the series, tbh.

i kind of want the 3DS game because of Tron Legacy

is it worth getting?

Ehhhh. I'd probably pass on it. (The Tron Legacy world is actually handled pretty damn well, though, for what it's worth.)

So is Uncharted! You need to meet Victor GOD DAMN Sullivan already.
Truly the best part of the entire trilogy.

I can tell just from the disc art that this is some sort of lame attempt at a dark and edgy sequel, but yeah, I won't have fond memories of the original game that would change my opinion of 2 from "bad" to "personally offensive".

My only experience with the series is watching this video that calls one moment in the third game one of the saddest video game moments of all time.

You play until you can abide no more, that's the way i'll be tackling it, so basically reaching the end is the more unlikely event at this point.

Though I still have to finish replaying the first game, with Rayman and Wonderful 101 still vying for my playtime it might take a bit.

My butt. You just wanted to experience the horror.
Well I didn't make any attempts to stop it, it was destiny for us to meet again, the general circumstances coming off the original game are similar to that of the past just now in a different time, it's almost nostalgic.

Think I might spring for the PS3 version, anyhow. It's cheaper than the Wii U version + local co-op isn't really much of an option for me.

Eh, we'll know when Legends is out everywhere as to which version is the better buy. I am bummed that the Vita version apparently has missing content.
Content is kind of an issue for Legends is general, there's a lot of it but not enough of the main attraction which is goold old full platforming stages, i'm still unsure what I prefer out of it and Origins, my mind tells me that logically Origins must be the better game yet my gut feeling wants to go with Legends because I was having more fun.

PKrockin

Pull a Noi and do it. He hated it and still platinumed it.

Ha! Joke's on you guys, I have the PS2 disc version! I can't platinum it!

I don't actually have the first Jak and I was looking forward to playing 2
when I bought it like 5 years ago
when I first heard it was supposed to a top-tier platforming series so let's see how disappointed I would have been...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
KH1 made me incredibly nauseous as a teenager. I didn't end up finishing it until after I'd finished KH2. >.>

Plus, Nayuta no Kiseki has me in it, so it's instantly a better game!
And you're a girl in that one.

nayuta_no_kiseki_screq7srs.jpg

Nayuta's probably one of the prettiest games on the PSP, actually. Completely bursting with colour. Just the way I like it.

qq more

Ehhhh. I'd probably pass on it. (The Tron Legacy world is actually handled pretty damn well, though, for what it's worth.)

Well now I'm conflicted. Both of you said no but... Tron Legacy world being handled well? That's the selling point to me!

quick, tell me terrible things to keep me away from ever buying it

EDIT: wait isn't this the KH game where you're forced to swap characters?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I tried to love BbS but why is the coolest character such a colossal guilable idiot? I swear, a ton of this bad stuff wouldn't happen if Terra had a clue. That really turned me off on the game
But Aqua's the coolest character in the game! I liked her a lot, even if her combat type isn't my preference.

Well I didn't make any attempts to stop it, it was destiny for us to meet again, the general circumstances coming off the original game are similar to that of the past just now in a different time, it's almost nostalgic.

Content is kind of an issue for Legends is general, there's a lot of it but not enough of the main attraction which is goold old full platforming stages, i'm still unsure what I prefer out of it and Origins, my mind tells me that logically Origins must be the better game yet my gut feeling wants to go with Legends because I was having more fun.
You could have prevented such a situation, though. You had the power to stop it.

To the bolded: wait, what? I mean, okay. Wii U version was the lead platform, so I assume there's a lot of Murfy-esque stages in there. But what do you mean?

EDIT: wait isn't this the KH game where you're forced to swap characters?
Yes. In the middle of boss fights even. And remember those monster rearing videos I showed you and you didn't like them? Those videos were for KH 3D.

Noi

Well now I'm conflicted. Both of you said no but... Tron Legacy world being handled well? That's the selling point to me!

Xehanort's youthful self is revived along with all of the other Xehanorts and appeared numerous times to Sora and Riku as they traverse the Realm of Sleep and awaken several worlds previously destroyed by Ansem. During these appearances, Xehanort would taunt the heroes as he recruited other versions of himself throughout time and space to complete a new Organization XIII under Master Xehanort's orders. The original Organization was meant to recruit thirteen strong beings to be used to make clones of Master Xehanort through the process of transferring portions of his heart into their bodies, but the first generation of Nobodies consisted of many failures. A majority of the original members were either traitorous to the Organization, were too weak for their purpose, or were simply distrustful. Young Xehanort then embarked on his mission to find suitable replacements; various versions of himself, throughout time.

Terra is the KH version of Zack...just cooler, personality aside.

And KH made you nauseous? I never found the camera that bad, it's not a perfect camera for sure but I was able to make it work most of the time.

- Boring, empty worlds
- Forced character switching
- Shallow/nonexistent auxillary character growth/ability systems
- Boring and intrusive pet breeding/raising system
- A plot so retarded and legitimately convoluted that it makes the rest of the series look like fine literature in comparison
- Objectively the glitchiest game in the series

qq more

...okay, not getting KH 3DS then. What a shame... I love the Tron Legacy universe.

Anyways, I'm working my way to get all life-ups and upgrade Raiden completely before moving on to another game.

You could have prevented such a situation, though. You had the power to stop it.

To the bolded: wait, what? I mean, okay. Wii U version was the lead platform, so I assume there's a lot of Murfy-esque stages in there. But what do you mean?

Murfy stuff does make up for more stages than you may expect, at the same time the overall new stage amount is significantly less that Origins.
Legends lands in a bit of an odd spot because of this, what's in there is great and factoring in Invasion stages, the challenges and Return to Origins stages there's a lot of content on the whole yet I and others have the feeling that it could have done with more new standard stages on the whole.
Some people are on about it being too much easier than Origins as well, ehhh, I thought it was a bit easier but Origins wasn't exactly that difficult anyway so this wasn't much of a factor for me, some of Legends invasion stages are pretty tough to get Golds on so I found it to mostly balance out.

Basically the main game is shorter this time around which is disappointing but it's still damn good so there we go.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remember, you're talking to the person who gets nauseous in video games easily. I had to take Gravol to get through the SMG games.

http://images.wikia.com/legendofheroes/images/8/84/Noi.jpg[IMG]

I am the kawaiiest[/QUOTE]
I dunno. qq moe is putting up some stiff competition.

But seriously, Nayuta's one of the best-looking PSP games out there.

[indent][img]http://abload.de/img/nayuta_no_kiseki_screnws9s.jpg
nayuta_no_kiseki_screz7sea.jpg

nayuta_no_kiseki_scre75siz.jpg
nayuta-no-kiseki-debuevsxk.jpg
[/indent]

Has an Oracle of Seasons thing going for it too.

Murfy stuff does make up for more stages than you may expect, at the same time the overall new stage amount is significantly less that Origins.
Legends lands in a bit of an odd spot because of this, what's in there is great and factoring in Invasion stages, the challenges and Return to Origins stages there's a lot of content on the whole yet I and others have the feeling that it could have done with more new standard stages on the whole.
Some people are on about it being too much easier than Origins as well, ehhh, I thought it was a bit easier but Origins wasn't exactly that difficult anyway so this wasn't much of a factor for me, some of Legends invasion stages are pretty tough to get Golds on so I found it to mostly balance out.

Basically the main game is shorter this time around which is disappointing but it's still damn good so there we go.
Hm. That's... interesting. I'll play the game to see what it's like, but I wonder what I'm going to think about it afterwards. I honestly think it's the result of a focus on local multi for most of the game, so when it was ported to other platforms, that sort of mindset had to stick and it was probably too late to add more non-Murfy levels to it. who knows.

It more than likely still plays well.

- Boring, empty worlds
- Forced character switching
- Shallow/nonexistent auxillary character growth/ability systems
- Boring and intrusive pet breeding/raising system
- A plot so retarded and legitimately convoluted that it makes the rest of the series look like fine literature in comparison
- Objectively the glitchiest game in the series

+Flow-motion was fun.

COME AT ME

I DON'T EVEN CARE

I think my expectations were lower than everyone else.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Xehanort's youthful self is revived along with all of the other Xehanorts and appeared numerous times to Sora and Riku as they traverse the Realm of Sleep and awaken several worlds previously destroyed by Ansem. During these appearances, Xehanort would taunt the heroes as he recruited other versions of himself throughout time and space to complete a new Organization XIII under Master Xehanort's orders. The original Organization was meant to recruit thirteen strong beings to be used to make clones of Master Xehanort through the process of transferring portions of his heart into their bodies, but the first generation of Nobodies consisted of many failures. A majority of the original members were either traitorous to the Organization, were too weak for their purpose, or were simply distrustful. Young Xehanort then embarked on his mission to find suitable replacements; various versions of himself, throughout time.
jHAtPon.gif

qq more

I dunno. qq moe is putting up some stiff competition.

I was talking to someone in the SmashGAF IRC a few hours ago who barely posts in GAF and just lurks most of the times. I told him my GAF name (since I go by a different name in IRC) and he recognized my name because of "qq moe" and that certain avatar.

Losing that avatar bet made a wayyyy bigger impact than I've ever honestly imagined...

Xenoblade looks like a PS2 era Square Enix game.

I mean that in a good way. Dunban would've fit right in in a Kingdom Hearts game.

I've barely touched the story, either, I've been dicking around with Colony 9's affinity instead.

Oh, also, setup most of my consoles now. Just have PS2, PS3 and maybe the original Wii (for GC and homebrew; I'm playing Xenoblade on the Wii U) to go, as well as setting up the PC (which is another can of worms altogether).

Feels weird not having close relatives immediately on hand. Or doing all the grocery shopping on my own. Eep.

That goes hand in hand with boring, empty worlds. :D

Truth be told, the worlds in KH have been boring and empty since inception.

At least I could jump off things and do cool tricks in KH3D.

:V

(Hallow Bastion doesn't count because it has a reason to be empty)

Noi

FFXIV feels like a bigger, better Xenoblade to me. I can draw some comparisons between them as well, but I'm busy with schoolwork right now, so I'll leave that for another time.

I still need to beat Xenoblade, but the ally AI seriously puts a damper on my enjoyment of the game...

Truth be told, the worlds in KH have been boring and empty since inception.

At least I could jump off things and do cool tricks in KH3D.

:V

(Hallow Bastion doesn't count because it has a reason to be empty)

Sure, but at least they were boring, empty and small in scale, as well as have some platforming elements. 3D's are 5x as big and just as boring and empty plus take no skill to explore!

+Flow-motion was fun.

COME AT ME

I DON'T EVEN CARE

I think my expectations were lower than everyone else.

It could have been fun if it were implemented better and was properly balanced.

I had high expectations because of the development team behind it. Didn't surprise me that the game's rushed nature and a lot of it's weird ass design decisions had more to do with Nomura wanting to experiment a bunch at the expense of game balance/flashiness and less to do with the dev team not knowing how to balance anything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If I see KH3D for like $15, do I buy it?

Xenoblade looks like a PS2 era Square Enix game.

I mean that in a good way. Dunban would've fit right in in a Kingdom Hearts game.

Feels weird not having close relatives immediately on hand. Or doing all the grocery shopping on my own. Eep.
Dunban deserves more. And remember, the majority of the Monolith Soft staff used to work at Squaresoft, so that's probably why you're drawing comparisons.

Haha, I do all the groceries on my own, so I do the heavy lifting and loading. I'm small and short, so it's kinda hard sometimes. I'm this tiny person pushing around a grocery cart packed with the week's groceries for a family and I have to load it in by myself, lol. I appreciate it in the rare circumstance when I do get help with stuff, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom