• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm just going to go ahead and call this another bad week. Remember how I said on twitter that 2013 was a complete bullshit year? 2013 is a bullshit year.

If you were waiting for me to get back to you on something via PMs or asking me something here, I really can't do it right now. Not in the right frame of mind.

I finished the Lost World banners, Schala. I'll send them to you later via Pm, as I'm on mobile now.
Thanks, looking forward to it.

qq more

I'm just going to go ahead and call this another bad week. Remember how I said on twitter that 2013 was a complete bullshit year? 2013 is a bullshit year.

If you were waiting for me to get back to you on something via PMs or asking me something here, I really can't do it right now. Not in the right frame of mind.

Aw shit. I hope you're doing okay... :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's put it this way: this is the least of my problems after everything's that happened this year. It's just inconvenient. Kinda unjust but we'll iron that issue out, but more inconvenient compared to everything else that's happened that you know of.

qq more

Let's put it this way: this is the least of my problems after everything's that happened this year. It's just inconvenient. Kinda unjust but we'll iron that issue out, but more inconvenient compared to everything else that's happened that you know of.

I see, I hope things will get better

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, the silver lining is that I'm reminded that I've made the best friends I've ever had this year despite all the nonsense that's been going on with school, family, relationship, etc.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Next year will be better, I hope.

I mean, nothing can be as bad as the constant punches and twists this year. I don't usually cry that much, so it's a surprise that I did it so often this year (well, no, not really considering the constant stress and ensuing depression, so the crying and lack of motivation shouldn't be a surprise). I had Noi, Bean, and you to back me up and cheer me up whenever you all could.

Thanks to the parties involved who got me to open up a little bit.

Why on Earth would any PC game try to force 30FPS? I could somewhat understand NiGHTS and Jet Set Radio, since they're ports of old console games, but Castle of Illusion was developed from the ground up. No excuse.

Rayman Legends is so goooooooooooooooood, I love that Mariachi Madness
is Eye of the Tiger XP
It Also has THE BEST water levels I've played in years in a Platformer, and I never thought I'd ever say such sentince.

Of course before Legends I think Origins held that title, though the water stages in Legends dare I say reveal the ones in Origins to be pretty ho-hum outside of their controls.
Coming to think of it when I made my post about water stages in platformers earlier in this thread I didn't consider Origins but I would put in some of the stages from 2000 lums under the sea.

Lots of dumb shit I haven't told anyone else outside of three people because I really don't like putting my issues out in the open because it makes me feel bad for doing so.

Oh. Well, I hope whatever dumb shit you've got stops being dumb and/or shit. I'm somewhat in a weird headspace right now also, but hey - we all gotta persevere. I've been told I'm good at giving advice and stuff before, so... feel free to PM me. QQ and co seem like good enough ears, anyway.

Anywho, I've been gone for the last 3/4 days because I've been moving into my new flat, which is currently sans wi-fi. (I found there's a BT Wi-Fi hotspot nearby that I've paid to use, so I don't go insane waiting for the engineers to come and fix this shit.) Anyway, the flat hadn't had the cleaners through when I arrived, so me and my mate went to town scouring all the (currently unoccupied) rooms for any leftover crap. Amongst things including a full pack of batteries, some girl's pants, and a bin, I found...

img_0102i9uih.jpg

IT'S A SIGN.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
After a bit with the Vita version, I really really wish Legends had more pure platforming segments. I heard that even while playing the PS360 versions, the Murfy bits are still automatic. I genuinely dislike the Murfy segments, period.

Bean told me that some of the music from Origins is reused, which is a huge bummer.

Oh. Well, I hope whatever dumb shit you've got stops being dumb and/or shit. I'm somewhat in a weird headspace right now also, but hey - we all gotta persevere. I've been told I'm good at giving advice and stuff before, so... feel free to PM me. QQ and co seem like good enough ears, anyway.
Thanks. Though, there's lots and lots of dumb garbage. Sometimes it's really hard to get out of a place where I'm feeling depressed and I've lapsed into old habits on occasion because of it. Ah well.

It'll get better.

It has to.

IT'S A SIGN.
Best flat or bestest flat?

The only straight up reused Origins music I recall popping up in the Legends side of the game (outside of jingles and callbacks to the "main theme" of Origins within other new tracks) is Glou Glou/Lums of the Water ever so briefly in one stage where it's used to good effect, there's plenty of new tracks in there, in fact I posted some relevant stuff yesterday.

I warned you about Murfy though.

I really, really need to buy Legends sometime. How's the difficulty compared to Origins?

It'll get better.

It has to.

Can't say I really know what's happening, but as long as you do keep the "It'll get better" mentality, it'll most likely end up ringing true down the line. When I was in my funk a little earlier this year (And thanks to everyone here who helped me out through that. I mean it.) that's what I kept telling myself, and five months later, I'm probably the happiest I've ever been in my life. Things are moving forward now.

That sea of bullshit always seems endless, but it'll always get better.

You know I was doing the whole "it'll get better thing" for the first half of this year and man it almost worked, then I botched life once more and went tumbling back down...got to earn back that willpower to start climbing back up. At least it's less sea of bullshit for me and more like languishing in the limbo of life /Joining in with Misery GAF

Oh and Legends is easier than Origins, though I don't think the gap between the two is quite as wide as others seem to.

Tizoc

I really, really need to buy Legends sometime. How's the difficulty compared to Origins?

Just as easy IMO, to me it's a rather relaxing game for a Platformer, I like to 'take my time with it' and even when I lose I don't rage, mostly laugh it up especially in the stage where
I AM CHASED AND ATTACKED BY LUCHADORS!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Seriously more games need crazy luchadors

You know I was doing the whole "it'll get better thing" for the first half of this year and man it almost worked, then I botched life once more and went tumbling back down...got to earn back that willpower to start climbing back up. At least it's less sea of bullshit for me and more like languishing in the limbo of life /Joining in with Misery GAF

You can do it, man. Sometimes, just learning to roll with the punches life deals out is the only way you can start.

Oh and Legends is easier than Origins, though I don't think the gap between the two is quite as wide as others seem to.

Not that I thought Origins was too difficult, but I'm glad to know this is the case, if only because I might actually be able to get my friends to play this one with me now, heh.

Just as easy IMO, to me it's a rather relaxing game for a Platformer, I like to 'take my time with it' and even when I lose I don't rage, mostly laugh it up especially in the stage where
I AM CHASED AND ATTACKED BY LUCHADORS!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Seriously more games need crazy luchadors

Okay, that's kind of awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Can't say I really know what's happening, but as long as you do keep the "It'll get better" mentality, it'll most likely end up ringing true down the line. When I was in my funk a little earlier this year (And thanks to everyone here who helped me out through that. I mean it.) that's what I kept telling myself, and five months later, I'm probably the happiest I've ever been in my life. Things are moving forward now.

That sea of bullshit always seems endless, but it'll always get better.
Legends is much easier than Origins. Especially with respect to gathering lums and platforming. It's kind of... you can easily tell that this was a Wii U game with a multiplayer focus. The Murfy bits truly speak to that, and it's unfortunate in that case, because I'd wanted a nice pure platformer like Origins. I'm feeling pretty let down by it so far, but that's because it was a game I'd been anticipating all year. Edit: Let me clarify: this was clearly a game that was developed for the Wii U. The Vita version, while it seems to piggyback on the Wii U version, just doesn't feel that great because you're essentially doing everything yourself while the thing you want to control is automated because they wanted to include the Wii U extras and then some. It just doesn't feel right or cohesive. It doesn't flow well.

And yeah, lots of dumb stuff since the beginning of the year. Health stuff, family stuff, relationship stuff, school stuff... Coming from all sides, here. I won't get in-depth with it, but it's been constant nonsense. And if it weren't for you guys (and especially Noi-Noi, Beanie, and qq moechan), I probably would've completely broken down months ago.

I'll try to keep positive, even if it's hard sometimes. I'm sick and tired of crying over everything.

Oh wow, that whole bit about 2013 being completely bullshit for a lot of people is absolutely true, then. Not everyone, but a lot of people. But hey, I kind of feel like it's better knowing that you're not alone in feeling down this year. It's a sense of camaraderie, I guess.

As for the difficulty gap with respect to Origins vs Legends, it's kind of hard to judge right now. It does feel easier than Origins, which is kind of a shame to me. There isn't as much of a sense of fluidity for the sake of quickly platforming here as often as Origins. It's kinda weird.

The only straight up reused Origins music I recall popping up in the Legends side of the game (outside of jingles and callbacks to the "main theme" of Origins within other new tracks) is Glou Glou/Lums of the Water ever so briefly in one stage where it's used to good effect, there's plenty of new tracks in there, in fact I posted some relevant stuff yesterday.

I warned you about Murfy though.
You did. They're bad to me. I can't stand it. Say that I'm not very lenient or whatever, but this is certainly not what I'd expected out of the game at all. It's hard to even die in this game, when in Origins, you had to perfectly platform to get out of trouble.

Well, I'll check the rest of the music out as I keep playing. It's a good soundtrack so far.

So you guys all know me about as well as someone can know me on GAF, so I trust everyone's advice. I know that I am going to get a 3DS this Tuesday when I pick up Kingdom Hearts. The only thing is that I don't know if I want to get an XL, or use the same amount of money to get a regular 3DS + Dream Team. I'm trying to decide if that extra battery life is worth it, plus I heard that there's something wrong with the top screen and getting scratched on the regular 3DS?

wat do

qq more

So you guys all know me about as well as someone can know me on GAF, so I trust everyone's advice. I know that I am going to get a 3DS this Tuesday when I pick up Kingdom Hearts. The only thing is that I don't know if I want to get an XL, or use the same amount of money to get a regular 3DS + Dream Team. I'm trying to decide if that extra battery life is worth it, plus I heard that there's something wrong with the top screen and getting scratched on the regular 3DS?

wat do

How do you feel about larger screens?

As far as I know, screen scratching is still an issue with the XL. With that being said, the XL has an extra hour or so of battery life, and it's probably better if you have big hands. I have pretty tiny hands, and even my hands get a little cramped playing with the normal 3DS.

I'd say an XL's probably the better investment.

Everything I've seen says the XL is the objectively superior option. Just go for it. I only got an OG 3DS because a) it was the OoT model and b) the guy selling it to me threw in a bunch of games with it for the same price as a new XL.

OMG Aero

The only downsides I have heard about the XL is that the larger screens make it harder to get into the sweet spot for the 3D and the bigger size means that you can't just put it your pocket to carry around for streetpassing unless you have huge pockets or a bag with you.

If you don't care about either of those things then there is no reason to go for the original over the XL.

I guess I could just get Dream Team with my next paycheck. I'm trying not to spend a bunch of money at once.
Yeah, even with my small girl hands, the 3DS makes my hands hurt after a while of holding it.

Go with the XL if you can.
Ha-ha, you have girly hands! Do you paint your nails, too??

You can do it, man. Sometimes, just learning to roll with the punches life deals out is the only way you can start.
This statement has imbued me with spirit, not sure what i'm going to do with this positive energy but cheers!

Oh wow, that whole bit about 2013 being completely bullshit for a lot of people is absolutely true, then. Not everyone, but a lot of people. But hey, I kind of feel like it's better knowing that you're not alone in feeling down this year. It's a sense of camaraderie, I guess.
Hopefully we'll bring this camaraderie around to being united with something more positive soon enough, then we can look back at 2013 and laugh, laugh I say!
Clearly 2013 is to life what 2012 was for video games.

As for the difficulty gap with respect to Origins vs Legends, it's kind of hard to judge right now. It does feel easier than Origins, which is kind of a shame to me. There isn't as much of a sense of fluidity for the sake of quickly platforming here as often as Origins. It's kinda weird.
I've got to say regarding the fluidity point I really disliked the lum collecting of Origins with it often drip feeding single lums in bubbles popping out of certain platforms or shrubs and having to bop an enemy multiple times to get all their lums, absolutely killed the flow for me. I guess I never really considered nabbing those things part of the games overall difficulty, I mean sure getting the 300-350 mark was tough but in a more of a slow paced way that demands you to not make an oversight, so sliding and jumping through the stages with the flow that the layout seems to present was a no go, which in turn is why I really dug the time trials in that game.

Judging by opinions on this game here on GAF it's almost like if you loved Origins then Legends is disappointing, but if you found Origins simply good but not quite great then Legends strikes more of a chord (Murfy stuff aside), i'm still not entirely sure why this is as I find both games very similar. I figure that the lums being put more in front of the player in chains and the slightly snappier physics just make things a lot more fun for myself.

You did. They're bad to me. I can't stand it. Say that I'm not very lenient or whatever, but this is certainly not what I'd expected out of the game at all. It's hard to even die in this game, when in Origins, you had to perfectly platform to get out of trouble.
Murfy stuff was tolerable until I went for 100% in a stage, a few sections (often bonus rooms) make CPU Globox turn into a bloomin' moron who kills himself for silly reasons.

I can't help but think Origins overall difficulty is being slightly overstated, sure stages like Land of the Livid Dead and the treasure chases demanded near perfection but in a kind of "you will do exactly this or else" way effectively making them like more dynamic DKCR mine carts on foot. Outside of numerous running for your life sections before an ever growing thorn gives a nasty surprise up your characters rear end I just don't see the same level of platforming challenge that everyone else seemed to from that game, not saying that it wasn't harder (it was) but I do think the overall difficulty gap is smaller than most people indicate as far as the more standard stages go.

Though Legends having checkpoints every few steps certainly doesn't help, Origins levels tend to be sections broken up as separate rooms with the checkpoints being the entrance of each room which was just right. Legends stages don't quite follow the same format being less segmented but often if I did screw something up i'd pop back up on the precipice of my previous defeat, there's something to be said about being too forgiving.

BHZ Mayor

I'm done with Jak 3 guys. No I didn't finish it. I just quit after I got to that Pac Man mission. I've developed a very low tolerance for shitty minigames. It also doesn't help that there's way too much of a focus on vehicles that control like crap in this game.

Also, this Rayman Legends discussion is not instilling much confidence.

Sciz

I'm in the fortunate position of having a buddy who genuinely likes playing boost mode in NSMBU and Murfy in Legends, so it's solid gold for us.

I'm done with Jak 3 guys. No I didn't finish it. I just quit after I got to that Pac Man mission. I've developed a very low tolerance for shitty minigames. It also doesn't help that there's way too much of a focus on vehicles that control like crap in this game.

Also, this Rayman Legends discussion is not instilling much confidence.

I've yet to install Jak 3 yet, it's sitting there on my PS3 waiting but after Jak 2 i'm having trouble mustering up the effort to do so (of course I immediately deleted Jak 2 upon completion), vehicles still control like crap you say? well I don't know what else I was expecting.
Can this Pac Man mission be as bad as that damn whack a mole game in Jak 2? that stuff missed with my brain so badly when it started getting hectic.

Noi

Jak 3 could be considered "worse" than 2 by comparison if you don't like minigames. The base gameplay is way better than 2, but 3 constantly cuts to both vehicle sections and mini-game type stuff all the time. Even the final boss is a vehicle section.

Rayman Legends...IDK what to say about that game, nigga. It does a lot of things right, but it's strangely off-putting and unengaging, that after I beat the meager five worlds, I had no interest in going back to it, even the Origins rehashed stuff.

There was one stage, I think it's called Dungeon Dash, that made me think "y'know, this Murfy stuff could possibly be alright." It moves at a decent clip with Globox running pretty much the whole time and while yeah, it's not a platforming stage, it's kinda fun in its own right and wouldn't be bad for diversionary side stages.

Then every other of the three Murfy stages per world is some slog with the dim Globox AI ambling along like he couldn't give less of a fuck.

Rayman Legends...IDK what to say about that game, nigga. It does a lot of things right, but it's strangely off-putting and unengaging, that after I beat the meager five worlds, I had no interest in going back to it, even the Origins rehashed stuff.

Ignoring the Invasion levels, I found it to be mostly similar to Kirby's Epic Yarn. "Sit back, relax, and enjoy the aesthetics" seems to describe both games pretty well. Legends is a chill out kind of game and anyone who wants pure challenge is going to have a problem with that.

I enjoyed Legends enough to get 100% but it isn't the Origins sequel I wanted. Though the aesthetics and invasion stages still make it one of the best games I've played this year.

Yeah, it'll be in the top 10, but I couldn't help hoping for more. It pains me, because they actually make some big changes to the visuals and the controls that I enjoy even more than Origins, but by and large it feels like...Origins was a buffet and Legends was a pinata breaking open, with a whole bunch of colorful candies that you enjoyed but never filled up on. And these crummy little green candies thrown in there because it's Wiiliam Unitas birthday and he likes those shitty little things.

But hey, Tropical Freeze, right

Since I couldn't think of anything else to play I started Jak 3 just to satiate my curiosity.I think i've finally figured it out, Jak isn't a platforming series, it's a Vehicle focused series.

See Jak and Daxter is the outlier in the entire series with its focus on collectathon platforming and even it has three or four vehicle sections within.
Then Jak 2 arrives and it's all about the vehicles, overcoming dire controls to traverse an unholy mess of a city, mandatory 5 lap racing circuits and various checkpoint and taxi like runs around the city, this stuff takes up a big chunk of the game.

Now here is Jak 3, after spending 2 minutes telling me how to perform the usual jumps the big cheese of the desert lands basically says "yeah, well that's just jumping and that's the turds, grab a gun and fight this enemy wave to really impress me" (Statement may be slightly embellished). After this little intro and some other fluff the game then threw me into three vehicle missions in a row, the first being a 3 lap race, the second being a timed checkpoint run and the third being a race with checkpoints that while not in a vehicle are at least raced on the back of something that's like a grittier reskinned flut flut.

Well that's one hell of a skewered gameplay ratio and I didn't even mention the poor satellite minigame before those three missions, I mean lets face it the platforming was merely a tutorial for how to move around, I genuinely doubt there being more than 20% platforming heavy missions in this game.

See people think that Jak X is the spinoff racing game, oh no, Jak X is the series finally reaching its logical conclusion. 100% vehicular shenanigans without a whisper of that "just jumping" business that sullied the first game which is probably known as Jak and Daxter and the Precursor Basin's Legacy within Naughty Dog seeing how that one section was the base for the future of the series, it's also the worst part of the Precursor Legacy.
So in conclusion Jak is a series focused on vehicles with the first game effectively being the actual spinoff, you cannot refute this argument as its based on pure logic.

And that race on the lizard things has essentially made me call it quits on Jak 3 already, checkpoints that suddenly pop up mere steps away from the last one you went through combined with a bad camera and requiring you to jump through some checkpoints where other racers stun you (and only you) if you dare to touch them when you're both airborne just to fuck you over right near the end. It's not even worth it man, i'll lose those positive vibes I got from Seven Force if I keep this up.

Yeah, it'll be in the top 10, but I couldn't help hoping for more. It pains me, because they actually make some big changes to the visuals and the controls that I enjoy even more than Origins, but by and large it feels like...Origins was a buffet and Legends was a pinata breaking open, with a whole bunch of colorful candies that you enjoyed but never filled up on. And these crummy little green candies thrown in there because it's Wiiliam Unitas birthday and he likes those shitty little things.

But hey, Tropical Freeze, right

That is a pretty godlike analogy.

BlackJace

Wiiliam Unitas had this weird obsession with fucking bananas. Dude would hold them up and stare at em.

I had to stop inviting him to parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom