• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I had to lie to a customer and make the Wii U sound appealing enough to purchase. Yesterday, I had to do the same thing with the Mortis Vita.

Why, customers? Why??

qq more

EEEEEEEEEE

MULTIMEDIA FUSION 3 ANNOUNCED

HAPPY

please please make Object Groups/Qualifiers work in the Global Event Editor this time...!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef, I apparently hate video games and I can do a better job at selling systems that aren't doing that well than you could.

Learn to sell things better. If some WWE wrestlers can do it, you certainly can.

ok fine

I'll do it myself. If I play bad games within 1 minute from now then I cannot eat pizza for the rest of my life
DPizza would've been disappointed with you had you lost.

Serious question. Have you ever considered being a professional reviewer? You seem to have the dedication and writing talent for it.
Well, there was a time when I would've liked to do it (I probably still would on a casual basis). Though you do have a word limit to adhere to in circumstances like that (usually 1500-2000). Sometimes you do have to sugarcoat things depending on how your EIC likes things, you can't go as in-depth with mechanics or narrative as you'd like to, and other little "political" things like that.

With that said, though, what I really liked back when I was lurking was the GAF reviews thread because you had a lot of people with trusted opinions in general posting reviews for games with a certain amount of depth and reasoning in their reviews. Those were the reviews I trusted the most over any reviews I'd read elsewhere because a lot of them aren't biased, nor are they writing to entertain a certain segment of an audience. If I could write unhinged like I do here in a professional sense, I'd certainly like to do it sometime to get a feel for what it's like. I've already done it for soundtracks (until the first half of the year got really really stressful for me), but games are another story.

Beef, I apparently hate video games and I can do a better job at selling systems that aren't doing that well than you could.

Learn to sell things better. If some WWE wrestlers can do it, you certainly can.
I'm just glad that our gaming section is essentially overlooked, otherwise I actually would be putting more effort into it.

I for one would love to see a professional Schala review paid for by Doritos and Dew, masses of positive hyperbole and nary a whisper of game mechanics.

Why such a review could be like stating how hip and trendy Jak 2 is, not only does it ape GTA in a way that would make Rockstar seethe with envy but now i've discovered it's grand venture into the territory of one Mr Hawk, it handles the addictive trick based gameplay in a way that surpasses the now outdated skateboard ventures. Playing Jak 2 is like playing a combination of the greatest hits of the PS2 era united under one glorious banner, how fortunate we are to have that boorish platforming take a back seat to ever trendy extreme sports, frantic firefights and exhilarating racing wrapped up in a mature gritty open world package, truly a product of the times.

Damnit Beef, you're 30 years old, you can't keep half-assing it at Wal-Mart forever

You gotta get in there. Show just how godlike this gaming section is. You walk out of here without a game and a guide you can get with 15% with every purchase, you are failing.

And put that coffee down. Coffee's for closers.

qq more

It hasn't been too boring for me today. MMF2.5 and MMF3 announcement was so sudden. I did not expect MMF3 getting announced this soon.

plus FFXIV but I'm having a hard time finding good quests for EXP

PKrockin

Uh, yeah, I don't think that completing a game fully and then painstakingly detailing the mechanics and design are what's wanted in reviewers. It seems to be more snap judgments based off 2 hours of gameplay. That whole "completing Time and Eternity twice and doing all the sidequests before giving the final writeup" thing wouldn't have flown.

what version are you playing?

I play the PC version I do not really experience really long load times, poor frame rate is dependent on the PC I am playing on.

Also It comes with Infinitely better mode

And qq more mode. So it works out great. I have heard things of the PS3 version being weird though, but again that tends to be the case with multiplatform games in general.

PS3 version. I've played the 360 version for reference now, and it seems to have better performance and load times. The framerate is usually fine... well, 30FPS locked in a game as fast as this barely qualifies as "fine" to begin with, but 30FPS with drops is problematic. There are points where the framerate even drops to about 10FPS such as running down the side of the building in Speed Highway Act 2 and basically anytime you stomp/break boxes.

I would get a gaming PC if it had more exclusives I was interested in and I wasn't already very satisfied with my non-gaming laptop.

Noi

I was reading an article the other day that argued for the hidden depth of otaku-centric games like Neptunia, Ar Tonelico and the Atelier series, and I was actually in agreement with it until it said that Time and Eternity had a hidden depth to it's gameplay and characters that most people brushed off just because of the type of reputation those games get.

Some people don't know how to pick their battles.

qq more

LOL T&E having depth. I'm convinced that they've played a different game. T&E looked really shallow.

Also I still wouldn't play Neptunia even if it had the best battle system ever. :V

Article in question said:
In other words, there's a lot going on beneath the surface of a game like Hyperdimension Neptunia and it's certainly not an isolated case, either: we saw something similar with Time and Eternity a while back, too. This was another NIS America-published title widely derided for superficially appearing to be riddled with sexist fanservice and featuring an obnoxious main character, when in fact the truth of the matter was that it was merely a title firmly in keeping with the sort of characters and situations found in your average anime -- and one which, upon further investigation, revealed itself to have plenty of enjoyable hidden depths and interesting characters.

..."interesting characters"

LOL yeah okay, I guess he loves cookie cutter shit.

Also the comments section has me rolling:

But when it comes to WayForward games, which nearly always feature fanservice, like Shantae, he is silent or praises the design for being bold. So if it's games they like, the "sexist" moniker goes away.
Shantae's fanservice is practically non-existant compared to shit like Neptunia.

PKrockin

it was merely a title firmly in keeping with the sort of characters and situations found in your average anime

Maybe the average anime the author probably watches, like Chobits and other ecchi/harem anime. I don't remember shit like that dominating Robotech, Trigun, Detective Conan or Death Note.

I will agree with the hidden depth of Atelier games.

Those actually have some good systems in them it's just the...overly saccharine nature of it all.

Y'know, am I the only one who gets a strange feeling when I'm running around all-new terrain in a game that's clearly supposed to be above my level at the point I'm doing it? Frequently get that with NES games, ones where I get slaughtered fairly easily, so seeing new areas are always kind of a tense "crap, am I gonna die and have all this progress invalidated" sensation.

Right, well running to the far east of Gaur Plains in Xenoblade while only L16 or so was kinda like that. I'm surprised I made as much progress as I did without completely wiping, given how few Landmarks (check/warp points, essentially) there were over there, and how many ~Lv75 enemies there were looking around for me. If I'd managed to aggro any of them, they could've tapped me and I'd have lost all that progress.

Xenoblade's very generous to players exploring out of their depth since defeat just knocks you back to the last landmark you were at without losing any of the progress you may have made since.
Basically what i'm saying is you wouldn't really have lost any progress Shadow Hog, being stomped by that giant ogre fellow shortly after you entered the Gaur Plains is practically a rite of passage.

Now Jak 2, there's a game that is overly punishing if you die and is also overly punishing to play, this game offends me on so many levels, it's almost impressive.

We're lucky that we even have a 3DS download station here. We're not taking anymore PS4 preorders.

And it's Best Buy, not fuckin Walmart. Now buy some Geek Squad or get out!

Xenoblade's very generous to players exploring out of their depth since defeat just knocks you back to the last landmark you were at without losing any of the progress you may have made since.
Basically what i'm saying is you wouldn't really have lost any progress Shadow Hog, being stomped by that giant ogre fellow shortly after you entered the Gaur Plains is practically a rite of passage.
Oh, no, I was stomped by the ogre guy a few days ago when I was fighting those zebra monsters, so that rite was passed a while back.

My point is, my furthest east landmark was this sort of Aztec monolith thing, but I was way east of the big lake with the mushrooms and the bridges, and that landmark was west of all that. I didn't find another landmark until I'd wrapped around on the north, heading westward again. If I'd died, I'd have to redo that entire trek; a little stronger for the wear, I suppose, but nevertheless, annoyed.

We're shitting on ToeJam & Earl now? I swear to god son I will fight you

Oh! Time and Eternity. My bad, carry on!
Funnily enough, that kinda-sorta happened in the Gen/MD thread.

Noi

Y'know, am I the only one who gets a strange feeling when I'm running around all-new terrain in a game that's clearly supposed to be above my level at the point I'm doing it? Frequently get that with NES games, ones where I get slaughtered fairly easily, so seeing new areas are always kind of a tense "crap, am I gonna die and have all this progress invalidated" sensation.

Right, well running to the far east of Gaur Plains in Xenoblade while only L16 or so was kinda like that. I'm surprised I made as much progress as I did without completely wiping, given how few Landmarks (check/warp points, essentially) there were over there, and how many ~Lv75 enemies there were looking around for me. If I'd managed to aggro any of them, they could've tapped me and I'd have lost all that progress.

This is me in FFXIV every time I venture into a new area. Or alternatively, playing as a Gathering class and using their stealth skill to sneak by enemies three times my level to mine the good shit.

Razzer

Now Jak 2, there's a game that is overly punishing if you die and is also overly punishing to play, this game offends me on so many levels, it's almost impressive.

I remember I came back to the site of a previous boss battle in gaur plains later on in the game whilst grinding. Thing was, I used fast travel, so when a gigantic level 90 monkey sloth thing spawned RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME the minute the screen faded in I almost had a heart attack. My parents actually came to check why they heard a loud thump as I fell off the sofa in fright. Great game though.

BlackJace

Man, they are straight up eviscerating each other in here. Warz in full effect :/

uOq9rbU.gif

@NeoGAFShitPosts has been full of the Warz for a few months now, soooo

(Although right now it's full of people in OT who'd like to bone their cousins. I'm not even gonna comment.)

BlackJace

I know Adam is a PR person, but that's no excuse for being so confrontational and rude, especially when he was acting as civil as he could. Industry figures don't have to post on GAF, and I can see why some are intimidated to do so.

SonicGAF has spoken, I'mma have to break it down to her over dinner tomorrow. Unless the night ends with sex, because I'm shallow like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom