• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it weird the announcement of BoF6 (aka let's fuck over fans with a number sequel for iOS that looks nothing like the franchise) was what lead me into trying out the BoF series

Which game did you try out first? They're all pretty decent, save for the first one, which is is merely okay.

AniHawk

i think my first time through crash 2 will end pretty early. now i understand what people mean when they say knack feels like an early playstation game.

I was surprised to find I actually rather liked Crash 2. Liked it enough to beat the final boss, anyway. I mean, Spyro is better, no questions asked, but it was still a solid romp.

I don't think I have it in me to 100% it, though; those secret warps and all get pretty confusing.

After Schala streamed Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, I wound up looking up some spoilers about main character Emil. What I saw in the stream was a pathetic coward who didn't warrant a supposed 12th(?) place in a Japanese "best Tales characters" poll. Knowing the big twist... okay, yeah, I can kinda see why, now. That's actually pretty clever.

Tizoc

Which is likely a web browser game or something like that. I honestly forgot, but it doesn't sound good.

Oh well that sucks then @_@

Ya know what I find is weird?
Arc Sys is making Guilty Gear Xrd and that's releasing on PS4 AND PS3, yet Capcom have no plans for a new SF for next gen

XSEED is localizing Trails in the Sky 2, and are even bringing Trails 1 and 2 to PC, yes S-E has no plans of localizing FF Type-0

Which brings me to something...who the fuck we gotta crowdfund to get the Sakura Taisen/War games localized and released on Steam? The first 4 games are available on PC.

i think my first time through crash 2 will end pretty early. now i understand what people mean when they say knack feels like an early playstation game.

Earlier this year in a drought of any multiplayer games to play my friend dug through his pile of playstation plus downloads and we found Crash 2.
A brief moment of rejoicing was had as fond memories filled the air, unfortunately for Crash it'd have better for it had we left him in the past. After getting halfway through the game it felt like i'd seen everything it had to offer within its limited approach to platforming, kind of feels more like an "evade them up" at times, the relatively flat corridor approach to level design works against the whole angle of a being a 3D platformer as far as i'm concerned.
Not what i'd consider a bad game at all but i'm not much of fan. A briefer stint into Crash 3 led me to minigame stages with clumsy driving controls (woah, it's like the Jak 2 before Jak 2!) and the same old Crash stuff right down to shoving an Egyptian headdress on the flamethrower enemy from Crash 2's sewer stages.

Razzer

Crash hate as well now, oh boy :(. But if any of you start ragging on CTR then imma have to get mad.
The ps1 platformers were clunky I admit.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, Crash 2 was a bit clunkier than I remembered (or is that playing a PS1 on an HDTV?), but it was still actually pretty damn fun. Haven't gone back to Warped in a while, though I plan to change that.

But oh my goddamn CTR is still sublime

Razzer

Hmm how were the Crash games clunky? I may admit that the Jumping can be weird sometimes.

Sometimes the lack of analog movement can muck up your flow, but luckily the corridor level design largely mitigates that. I also found it hard to feather the controls gently when that can be crucial to the more precise platforming. I still enjoy the games though. Warped in particular I can have a lot of fun with, especially the motorbike and pura levels. The time trials really test your skills.

With regards to CTR, I could write one of the tomes so loved around these parts about that game, it's one of the few where I have gotten close to speed runner levels of skill.

The Crash games don't really need analog movement. It's not like Super Mario 64 at all. Crash levels either move forward, move backward, or are side scrolling. I've only ever played Crash 1 and 2, but I never found myself wishing for full 360 degree analog control at all.

Razzer

The Crash games don't really need analog movement. It's not like Super Mario 64 at all. Crash levels either move forward, move backward, or are side scrolling. I've only ever played Crash 1 and 2, but I never found myself wishing for full 360 degree analog control at all.

That's a good point. I was gonna mention how boss arenas are slightly more open but giving it some extra thought the attack patterns of the bosses are all designed in such a way that you can dodge with a d-pad pretty easily.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry about yesterday, folks. I wasn't being myself.

Anyway.

...I should really really play Type-0 one of these days, to be honest. I'm itching to write impressions for that game based on the entire game as opposed to the two demos (one of which is the first chapter or two of the full game) + what Bebpo thought of it.

It's just funny how people keep saying that it's like the second coming/one of the best FFs in a long time, and then I read Bebpo's impressions of it and it sounds like everything I dislike about an RPG and RPG design in general rolled into one game. And I generally agree with Bebpo's assessments on stuff, so I do get the impression that I won't like it. When he said it has less depth than Final Fantasy XIII-2's battle system, I was all, "Nah, son. That can't be possible." Final Fantasy XIII-2 was an unbalanced and easy game. I mean, I saw it coming with Type-0's demos because all you needed was a killsight to finish battles quickly, but man. :/

IAfter Schala streamed Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, I wound up looking up some spoilers about main character Emil. What I saw in the stream was a pathetic coward who didn't warrant a supposed 12th(?) place in a Japanese "best Tales characters" poll. Knowing the big twist... okay, yeah, I can kinda see why, now. That's actually pretty clever.
Mmm. I disagree. Up until the final dungeon or so, he still behaves like that, and it's so irritating to see that he hasn't started growing a pair and relies on his red-eyed mode in order to gather courage. Needs to gather up courage to fucking thank someone! Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality nonsense and repetition. It's Shinji Ikari gone wrong. How Marta crushes on him and fawns over him of all people is beyond me, lol. Though I don't really play Tales for the story so I kind of ignore the narrative half the time.

And most of ToS2's characters are bad anyway.

What I dislike about Knight of Ratatosk's battle system, while keeping in mind that I don't dislike the system's premise overall, is that (and you could probably tell this while I was battling since Emil took so fucking long to recover) that there's this God-awful recover delay after special moves so you have to stand still like a fool, keep your finger on Z to block, then attack again, then block and attack again, instead of attacking like normal Tales games. It's stupid. Who designed that? And the lack of AI options is disheartening.

But don't worry. 999 hit combos are soooooooooooooooooooo hard.

I do kinda prefer the Japanese title of Knight of Ratatosk, since it completely fits in with all of the Norse mythology going on in Symphonia in general (ex: Ratatoskr, Ymir, Yggdrasil, Heimdall, Fenrir, etc.). *shrug*

Don't get me wrong. I like ToS2, but man. So much shit done wrong when you go past the basics. Monster system and monster evolution system is good and has some semblance to depth to it, so I can't say anything wrong about that. And there's a lot of fan material in there (references to other games, lots of minigames, etc.). I ended up skipping the intro for ToS2 when streaming because I don't like the English version at all. The Japanese version's tune sounds annoying but it can be catchy as hell. To be fair, I'm not as well-versed in Knight of Ratatosk as I am other Tales games (ie: battle system-wise like I am with Team Destiny games and stuff), but... there isn't a lot to take advantage of here.

XSEED is localizing Trails in the Sky 2, and are even bringing Trails 1 and 2 to PC, yes S-E has no plans of localizing FF Type-0
PSP game. Plus you're comparing apples to oranges.

Not letting XSEED off the hook at all. Nope, nope, nope. SC is probably a good way to say, "yeah, this is all you're going to get", but... nah, I don't want to get into the whole XSEED nonsense/PR snafus on their behalf. Oh well, at least you guys are getting a better game than FC except it has bad pacing towards the end of it but the ending's worth it. 3rd's still going to be my favourite.

And I have to admit that it bugs me a lot when people are like, "Why can't they localize the Zero/Ao Evolution games now?" That's because these games are truly meant to be played in order. That's why I'm making a bit of a big deal about not having played Ao no Kiseki before Sen since I'm waiting for the Vita release of Ao no Kiseki Evolution next year. I was going to jump directly from FC or SC to Zero, but I'm so happy I was convinced not to do that. I got so much more out of the story because I didn't skip anything. Not to mention that character arcs have more of a purpose when you play them in order and you can import your save from previous titles in order to get level boosts.

So don't play these games out of order. It is truly not to your benefit at all. It isn't like Genso Suikoden where you can just pick up any game you want in the series and play it due to self-containment because they are all connected in such a way that it would be beneficial to play the previous game first.

Yeah, that's the vibe I got out of the Crash games, especially since the levels are designed without the need for analogue movement. Granted, it's been a looooooooooooooooooong time since I've played a Crash game. Maybe I might not think much of 'em now.

CTR is good, though.

Why would an analog game need a run button?

I mean, I vaguely recall not being too bothered by it in Super Mario 3D Land, but I'm not entirely sure why, because the idea's rather silly.

Hell, why isn't the default movement "run" in most games, anyway, with the "run button" actually being the "walk button"? Unless it's a game that limits your running through a stamina bar or something, I tend to want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible anyway.

I mean, I vaguely recall not being too bothered by it in Super Mario 3D Land, but I'm not entirely sure why, because the idea's rather silly.

Hell, why isn't the default movement "run" in most games, anyway, with the "run button" actually being the "walk button"? Unless it's a game that limits your running through a stamina bar or something, I tend to want to get from point A to point B as fast as possible anyway.

Well, in Crash 3 it's more of a sprint, and holding it down constantly could get you into some trouble if you aren't good at the game.

BHZ Mayor

This is the problem I have with games that have vehicles that are intentionally designed to control like total shit, like GTA 4, or Jak 2 and 3. It's not a racer or a driving sim. The sole purpose of these vehicles are to get from point A to point B, nothing else. So why are your car controls trying, and utterly failing, to be realistic or like a racer/sim?

Razzer

Well, in Crash 3 it's more of a sprint, and holding it down constantly could get you into some trouble if you aren't good at the game.

The sprint basically turns all the levels into entirely new ones if you want to get the platinum relics. I know i must have spent like half an hour per level trying to beat those times. But when you manage it it's so satisfying. You have to have it held down permanently pretty much.

The sprint basically turns all the levels into entirely new ones if you want to get the platinum relics. I know i must have spent like half an hour per level trying to beat those times. But when you manage it it's so satisfying. You have to have it held down permanently pretty much.

Yeah, precisely. There's a reason you only get it after beating the final boss.

Tizoc

PSP game. Plus you're comparing apples to oranges.
Apples and Oranges are fruit~
Besides if S-E is gonna keep pumping out on iOS, may as well do it with PSP.
Furthermore, XSEED is a small company releasing a game that, at best is niche on the PSP/Vita, wheras Final Fantasy is a big brand and S-E could always like re-title it so it's FF: Zero and release it on PSP digitally.
With TGS coming soon who knows, maybe they'll have an FF Type-0 HD remake for Vita, which they can sell in the west.

Not letting XSEED off the hook at all. Nope, nope, nope. SC is probably a good way to say, "yeah, this is all you're going to get", but... nah, I don't want to get into the whole XSEED nonsense/PR snafus on their behalf. Oh well, at least you guys are getting a better game than FC except it has bad pacing towards the end of it but the ending's worth it. 3rd's still going to be my favourite.
I personally feel like I've had a hand in getting Second Chapter's localization to come through by buying the game during SCEA's offer period earlier this year~
Now I just hope that my $6 towards Suikoden 1 would get Suikoden 2 released on US PSN soon yeesh.

Yeah, that's the vibe I got out of the Crash games, especially since the levels are designed without the need for analogue movement. Granted, it's been a looooooooooooooooooong time since I've played a Crash game. Maybe I might not think much of 'em now.

CTR is good, though.

Replay Crash 2 and 3! In fact if you have a Japanese PSN account, try tht eJapanese versions and see how they are compared to their original English counterparts~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Apples and Oranges are fruit~
Besides if S-E is gonna keep pumping out on iOS, may as well do it with PSP.
Furthermore, XSEED is a small company releasing a game that, at best is niche on the PSP/Vita, wheras Final Fantasy is a big brand and S-E could always like re-title it so it's FF: Zero and release it on PSP digitally.
With TGS coming soon who knows, maybe they'll have an FF Type-0 HD remake for Vita, which they can sell in the west.
I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. The iOS/Android platforms are significantly different from the PSP, and they're probably more profitable at this point than the PSP in general given the sales numbers in the last few years since 2008 and the popularity of the iTunes store/Smartphones/Tabs. And the industry doesn't work like how you probably think it works... I doubt SE would really love to do something akin to that and release a large game like Type-0 only on a DD platform unless it is a phone game/episodic phone game. If they did, I'd be surprised that we're looking at a Square Enix who likes to take risks since we haven't seen that SE in years. Taking Type-0, and making it digital download-only and not on iOS or Android without splitting the game up into episodes that you pay for? That's quite a lark.

You are comparing Trails in the Sky--a game with less voicework, told in text, and a lack of lip-synching (a game from 2007) to 2011's Final Fantasy Type-0: a game with lots of voicework given that you have to play through the game twice to get the full story and the better ending, lip-synching, online player drop-in features (if you have the feature turned on), a certain amount of text, and maybe orthography that probably needs to be fixed for the western market knowing Square Enix's way of localization now.

The last bit of your post might be okay, but I can only see them doing that if they release HD ports of BbS, Crisis Core, and Dissidia or something like that. They could probably do it, but who knows. I'd rather have them finish up the HD remasters they're already doing and they're dragging their asses on that already.

I personally feel like I've had a hand in getting Second Chapter's localization to come through by buying the game during SCEA's offer period earlier this year~
Now I just hope that my $6 towards Suikoden 1 would get Suikoden 2 released on US PSN soon yeesh.
Nah, I don't think that's why they ended up saying that they'll finally follow through on their plan to at least localize SC. I think this was more out of obligation and criticism than anything else.

Regardless, video games are not charities. I always thought the "we have to buy it so we can get a sequel or another game in the series" sort of mentality was sort of odd and kind of absurd. If you don't want it, then you don't want it. If you don't have the cash, you don't have the cash.

Tizoc

I have yet to play a Crash game

'O'

Go grab Crash 2, 3 and CTR off US PSN, you don't have to play Crash 1 though.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded. The iOS/Android platforms are significantly different from the PSP, and they're probably more profitable at this point than the PSP in general given the sales numbers in the last few years since 2008 and the popularity of the iTunes store/Smartphones/Tabs. And the industry doesn't work like how you probably think it works... I doubt SE would really love to do something akin to that and release a large game like Type-0 only on a DD platform unless it is a phone game/episodic phone game. If they did, I'd be surprised that we're looking at a Square Enix who likes to take risks since we haven't seen that SE in years. Taking Type-0, and making it digital download-only and not on iOS or Android without splitting the game up into episodes that you pay for? That's quite a lark.

Type-0 is available on JPN PSN last I checked. Though I get what you mean.
...and while I do get what you mean by the risk involved in releasing it in the west, that kind of thing would apply to Trails 2nd Chapter wouldn't it? Unless production costs for SC aren't THAT big...

My comment on the iOS thing is more in spite with how many here are displeased with S-E's huge focus on cheap iOS games.

You are comparing Trails in the Sky--a game with less voicework, told in text, and a lack of lip-synching (a game from 2007) to 2011's Final Fantasy Type-0: a game with lots of voicework given that you have to play through the game twice to get the full story and the better ending, lip-synching, online player drop-in features (if you have the feature turned on), a certain amount of text, and maybe orthography that probably needs to be fixed for the western market knowing Square Enix's way of localization now.
Yowza, that kind of thing might need an HD/Vita release. Though ASSUMING they kept the JP dub for a hypothetical English release, would the voice work licensing be high?

The last bit of your post might be okay, but I can only see them doing that if they release HD ports of BbS, Crisis Core, and Dissidia or something like that. They could probably do it, but who knows. I'd rather have them finish up the HD remasters they're already doing and they're dragging their asses on that already.
If they have any HD converting staff available it'd be those 2 people who worked on the KH HD collection.

Nah, I don't think that's why they ended up saying that they'll finally follow through on their plan to at least localize SC. I think this was more out of obligation and criticism than anything else.

Regardless, video games are not charities. I always thought the "we have to buy it so we can get a sequel or another game in the series" sort of mentality was sort of odd and kind of absurd. If you don't want it, then you don't want it. If you don't have the cash, you don't have the cash.
I'm half agreeing, half disagreeing to your last paragraph, though the 'half-disagreeing' side of me is my optimist side @_@

Noi

Bought that Humble Bundle even though I don't play PC games much. Don't care for Trine 2 or Brutal Legend cause I already beat them on PS3, nor Eets Munchies though so... ask and you shall receive (on Steam).

Bought that Humble Bundle even though I don't play PC games much. Don't care for Trine 2 or Brutal Legend cause I already beat them on PS3, nor Eets Munchies though so... ask and you shall receive (on Steam).
Doesn't work like that, AFAIK; you generally only get the one Steam key, and it ties all the games in question to your account in one go.

EDIT: Okay, maybe it does work like that, looking back at HIB7. Well, okay then.

Everyone should play Mark of the Ninja. It will enrich your life.

Also this River City Ransom game look kinda dope, screw Nocturnowl

ibyBRhH5yDoFlo.gif

5d333c78c2152708cb35257e3fd9bf55_large.gif

Here I was ready to support your MotN statement but instead find myself unjustly slandered for no good reason, I have such conflicting emotions right now.

Noi

Doesn't work like that, AFAIK; you generally only get the one Steam key, and it ties all the games in question to your account in one go.

EDIT: Okay, maybe it does work like that, looking back at HIB7. Well, okay then.

Yeah, I'm aware of how previous HIBs worked with having an all-in-one steam key, but this one has codes for individual games. So yeah, don't care for those, so tell me if you want 'em. Giving them away here cause you guys are the bees knees.

I already bought myself a copy of the HIB, though, so I'm good. :V

I actually bought Fez during GOG's last big summer sale. Despite having what I'd consider to be a fairly kickass computer, there seem to be framerate issues. It's inconsistent; one minute it's running a full 60, the next it's only like 30 or so. And it's for the same exact areas, so I have no idea what's causing that. (That said, GOG's showing a new patch for the game, so maybe they're still chipping away at it...)

PKrockin

I do kinda prefer the Japanese title of Knight of Ratatosk, since it completely fits in with all of the Norse mythology going on in Symphonia in general (ex: Ratatoskr, Ymir, Yggdrasil, Heimdall, Fenrir, etc.). *shrug*

That title, Dawn of the New World, led me to expect that the struggle of the two reunited worlds to coexist peacefully would be the focus of the story. I was pretty surprised when that was just left by the wayside instead.

Everyone should play Mark of the Ninja. It will enrich your life.

Also this River City Ransom game look kinda dope, screw Nocturnowl

http://i.minus.com/ibyBRhH5yDoFlo.gif[IMG]
[IMG]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/900/857/5d333c78c2152708cb35257e3fd9bf55_large.gif?1378673451[IMG][/QUOTE]

OK, "1, 2, 3, 4, I declare a fist war!" got me.

Noi

Finally started Puppeteer now that SE booted me off of FFXIV for maintenance. Only done the first "Curtain" so fall, but man, this game is immediately fun and super charming right from the start.

Edit: and now I beat Act 1. I can tell I'm at the beginning of something special here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom