• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah! Even in Kingdom Hearts, there's a damn owl trying to give me a long-winded explanation! Can't your kind just leave us gamers alone, Nocturnowl!?

Try and help people out, they complain.
Get involved in the action instead by playing a bit of baseball and they call you a cheat, you just can't win.

BlackJace

Kingdom Hearts is just a fun game, straight up. It's charming, and has a satisfying battle system with special effects.
Glad I early adopted HD 1.5.

I have historically wanted to like Kingdom Hearts but cannot for the life of me. I have played to the final dungeon of KH1, ten minutes in to Chain of Memories on the GBA, and up to the final boss of Re:Coded.

KH1 is the very definition of "Jack of All Trades, Master of None". It wants to be a Final Fantasy RPG, a Devil May Cry action game, and a Mario platformer. And it is all of those things, but it the execution is stiff and awkward and kind of dumb.

Chain of Memories is a GBA game that opens with 15 minutes of FMV and tutorials and then throws you in to claustrophobic environments with way, way too many random encounters. Nnnnnnope.

Re:Coded I enjoyed in spite of itself. I liked some of the systems in that game, but again, stretching itself a little too thin and the storyline was anime bullshit of the highest order that makes you go "Dude Kingdom Hearts is really stupid."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I'll ever like Kingdom Hearts.

BbS was the closest thing to making me interested in playing a KH game because the battle system wasn't easy garbage. Oh well. KH2 had that dumb triangle stuff and it was too easy. KH1 just had standard "hit yo X button" combat and trying to find depth in that is straight-up boring because I don't even know what it wants to be. Chain of Memories was a card game. Re:Coded was an interesting experiment at the very least. 37427/pi Days was hot garbage. And I haven't played KH 3D yet, but oh boy this doesn't make me want to play it.

Also I think the story's something that I'm just too old to even have the patience to like now.

Re:Coded I enjoyed in spite of itself. I liked some of the systems in that game, but again, stretching itself a little too thin and the storyline was anime bullshit of the highest order that makes you go "Dude Kingdom Hearts is really stupid."
Somehow I think we're just too old, Blaze. Maybe if I were still a teenager and were more of an idealist, maybe I would care about it. But I just can't.

PS I went shopping yesterday and I took a picture of a horrible plushie. It goes well with the Modern Sonic plush I took a picture of in 2011:

hni_0099z9yqo.jpg

Noi

KH1 just had standard "hit yo X button" combat and trying to find depth in that is straight-up boring because I don't even know what it wants to be.

This is absolutely not the game I'm playing right now. If I tried to do that, I'd get absolutely destroyed by everything.

(I'm playing on FM's Proud mode, which is harder than the originals, plus doing the "default equipment" challenge at the same time. Super fun.)

NotLiquid

I stopped liking KH after the first one

Idk I liked it when it seemed like Final Fantasy x Disney was actually sort of the point instead of yaoi undertones and convoluted stories.

Also I think the story's something that I'm just too old to even have the patience to like now.

Somehow I think we're just too old, Blaze. Maybe if I were still a teenager and were more of an idealist, maybe I would care about it. But I just can't.

JIMINY CRICKET'S JOURNAL THAT HE USES TO RECORD YOUR SAVE GAME DATA IS ACTUALLY A MAGIC-POWERED SUPERCOMPUTER AND MICKEY MOUSE PROGRAMS A CLONE OF SORA'S MEMORIES TO GO IN TO THE MAGICAL SUPERCOMPUTER JOURNAL TO REMOVE DATA CORRUPTION

WHICH MEANS YOU REPLAY ALL OF KH1 BUT EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT

AND THEN
THE DATA OF RIKU FROM THE MAGICAL SUPERCOMPUTER JOURNAL TRAPS MICKEY AND CO. IN THE JOURNAL ITSELF BECAUSE OF COURSE LIVING CREATURES CAN ENTER THIS JOURNAL LIKE IT IS AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I stopped liking KH after the first one

Idk I liked it when it seemed like Final Fantasy x Disney was actually sort of the point instead of yaoi undertones and convoluted stories.
Same. I'll give the first game credit for being incredibly charming because it felt like a Disney game. Oddly enough, I didn't really think of the game much for its Final Fantasy references at all. I liked it because it featured a lot of Disney stuff that I liked, and the general tone and the references that the story made was so Disney-esque that you didn't really think much of it.

It wasn't until CoM and then onwards that the themes just became something I didn't care for.

JIMINY CRICKET'S JOURNAL THAT HE USES TO RECORD YOUR SAVE GAME DATA IS ACTUALLY A MAGIC-POWERED SUPERCOMPUTER AND MICKEY MOUSE PROGRAMS A CLONE OF SORA'S MEMORIES TO GO IN TO THE MAGICAL SUPERCOMPUTER JOURNAL TO REMOVE DATA CORRUPTION

WHICH MEANS YOU REPLAY ALL OF KH1 BUT EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT

AND THEN
THE DATA OF RIKU FROM THE MAGICAL SUPERCOMPUTER JOURNAL TRAPS MICKEY AND CO. IN THE JOURNAL ITSELF BECAUSE OF COURSE LIVING CREATURES CAN ENTER THIS JOURNAL LIKE IT IS AN ALTERNATE DIMENSION
I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANT.

WHY IS THE JOURNAL A COMPUTER? WHY ARE THERE MEMORY CLONES?

WHO DECIDED THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

This is absolutely not the game I'm playing right now. If I tried to do that, I'd get absolutely destroyed by everything.

(I'm playing on FM's Proud mode, which is harder than the originals, plus doing the "default equipment" challenge at the same time. Super fun.)
So, Proud Mode in FM is better? Gooooood. I mean, I'm not planning on picking the collection up, but it'd be nice if the Proud Mode in that version wasn't easy.

Also, about our Puppeteer thing, you did the first level, right? Do you mind if I did the first level today sometime, and then we can resume simultaneous play on Saturday as we've planned?

Noi

Yeaaah, Re: coded's story wasn't good. At least the gameplay was fun.

And yeah Schala, I finished Act 1 (first three levels), so you can go ahead and play that today if you want to.

My experience with Kingdom Hearts:

Lent out a GBA game (I forget which) and borrowed Chain of Memories in exchange. Didn't like it much at all. (Might've borrowed Battle Network 2 at the same time - I recall liking that one a whole lot more.) Lent it back, didn't look back.

Eventually bought a PS2. Picked up Kingdom Hearts with it. Got up to the Tarzan stage, but wasn't really feeling it. Put it down for a few months. Came back later, suddenly was compelled to play the game to completion in less than a month. (Felt kind of proud for that, since this was when I was beginning to notice my backlog issues.)

Immediately moved on to KH2, skipping CoM entirely because I already knew I didn't like it. Was mildly confused as to who Roxas was, but caught on pretty quickly. Played up until the final boss in a short span of time, sat on it for a while, then finally came back and finished off Xemnas. Kind of missed the more platform-y elements that the first KH game had in droves (ignoring that those elements are what make the Tarzan stage a drag - particularly the vine-swinging segments), and the triangle button thing made the game way too easy, but I still liked it.

Tried out Birth by Sleep many years later. Started with Terra. Still in my PSP, still running for like a year straight in Sleep Mode (on charger, natch). Haven't gone back to it in a while... probably should.

So there we are. I like the series, but the first was easily the best of them - more focus on Disney, less focus on whatever the hell is going on in the original universe side of things (seriously, I never fail to get confused by that - and I'm not gonna read that cute summary I've seen out there just yet, because I don't want BbS spoiled for me). I do like how they got so many of the original actors, as well as ones I wouldn't have expected like Christopher Lee, Mark Hamill and Leonard Nimoy.

I kinda wonder what it'd be like if they explored other Squenix properties a bit more closely, though, or perhaps some of the ones Disney's acquired since. Marvel Comics world? Star Wars world? Fullmetal Alchemist world? Chrono Trigger world? I dunno. (Knowing how the plots have gone since the first, though, it'd be confusing as hell either way.)

Noi

I'd actually start BBS as Ventus if I were you, maybe. Plays the most like Sora and is much more fun than Terra, who is the least fun to play as cause he's slower and doesn't have as many evasive options.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Ventus is leagues above everyone else in terms of playstyle / general ease to get into. I really love Aqua, though. Her playstyle isn't something I usually try to get into, but I guess the combination of her not being a total idiot, and trying to learn to pick up her style made me like her a lot.

If you just wanted to play BbS once, just go for Ventus.

And yeah Schala, I finished Act 1 (first three levels), so you can go ahead and play that today if you want to.
Sounds good. I'll start it in a bit.

Hahahahahaha, wtf, I never saw this before.

Noi

woah wait hang on, Aqua is the best character in the game in both gameolay and plot. I only recommend Ventus cause he's better at easing into first, and playing as Aqua ruins you for playing as the other two cause of how good she is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
woah wait hang on, Aqua is the best character in the game in both gameolay and plot. I only recommend Ventus cause he's better at easing into first, and playing as Aqua ruins you for playing as the other two cause of how good she is.
You know I like speedier melee characters, so I generally preferred playing as Ventus. Aqua by comparison concerns herself with more magic-based attacks, and that's something I generally don't prefer. Ghost Drive is dope. Aqua's greatest asset is being able to cast Barrier in all directions without a reprieve, so defensive-based players might get something out of that. Even then, she's still slower than Ventus, and Ventus has those aerial attacks that I'm generally fond of. Magic ain't usually my thing.

Magic-based characters usually seem to be among the hardest for some players to learn in my experience, and thus telling people to start off with Aqua might not be the best idea since some people just won't jive with her, period.

...wait why am i talking about kingdom hearts

oh god

i should stop because kh ain't my thing

Noi

Magic is the most broken thing in every KH that isn't 2 tho. In 1 and Bbs magic is king and will literally wreck everything with how absurd spells are, hence why aqua is the best character.

that and she has fully invincible cartwheels.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know how I feel about using magic in RPGs. I don't like using it because I like going fast. Magic's slow or it takes time to animate and I ain't got that time.

Oh, yeah. Is magic still completely broken in KH HD?

Noi

Yes, magic is still broken in KH:FM. Especially with 1's segmented MP system.

I never really used magic in those games, though. Felt really WEAK, from my experience.

Gravity alone literally renders normal mooks incapable of doing anything. Aero gives you a shield that reduces damage taken, does damage to enemies, AND even stops some boss attacks from working outright.

Bbs has spells that only Aqua can use that utterly break the game, though I can't remember the names cause it's been a while.

BHZ Mayor

I kinda wonder what it'd be like if they explored other Squenix properties a bit more closely, though, or perhaps some of the ones Disney's acquired since. Marvel Comics world? Star Wars world? Fullmetal Alchemist world? Chrono Trigger world? I dunno. (Knowing how the plots have gone since the first, though, it'd be confusing as hell either way.)

Wait, what?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Enix (and then Square Enix) published the Fullmetal Alchemist manga from 2001-2010 in Japan. They also published the FMA light novel in Japan.

Noi

Well, it IS nice and challenging so far. No doubt I'll be swearing like a sailor later, but I'll deal with that when I reach it.

Also, magic implementation in KH should be your favorite. All the spells are instant cast, take no more a second of animation to perform, can be executed at any time and most of them keep you mobile as you use them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I would much rather discussion about those two threads be kept in those two threads only, to be honest with you.

Yeah, now that the subject's brought up, leave discussion about those two threads in question in those two threads, period. Thanks.

Not gonna comment on either |OT|, being that I don't give a Ratata's ass about Pokémon, other than to say that Zeer0id is probably gonna love the newer thread.

image.php

I would much rather discussion about those two threads be kept in those two threads only, to be honest with you.

Yeah, now that the subject's brought up, leave discussion about those two threads in question in those two threads, period. Thanks.

I only said because Koko posts here and thought I could get a reply. But then I spoke to her anyway on IRC.

So whatever. Genuine curiosity. And I wasn't gonna get a straight answer in those threads... but I got one now anyway.

I've heard most of them are pretty mediocre, though.

Also they're rather inconsistent about whether they're related to the manga/Brotherhood or the 2003 anime.

Noi

Can't speak for crimson elixir, but broken angel was pretty mediocre, yeah. Best part about it was the the Roy Mustang + Armstrong boss battle at the very end.

My first exposure to FMA was in an old issue of Nintendo Official Magazine. Their Japanese correspondent (GAF's very own johntv) had taken a picture of a giant Alphonse statue in a Japanese shop, all dressed up like a maid.

I didn't get it.

My first exposure to FMA was in an old issue of Nintendo Official Magazine. Their Japanese correspondent (GAF's very own johntv) had taken a picture of a giant Alphonse statue in a Japanese shop, all dressed up like a maid.

I didn't get it.

This was actually my introduction as well.

My first exposure to FMA was all those X-Play reviews where Adam Sessler was like "goddamn this anime bullshit I give this game a 1.........................

........out of 5"

for all you kids out there, this was back when G4TV was a thing that showed video games regularly.

TheOGB

Banned
Goddamn, I've worked myself into a pickle.

It's clear now that I'll be buying GTA V, but I still haven't bought Saints Row IV yet. WHICH ONE FIRST I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO щ(°Д °щ;)

My first exposure to FMA was all those X-Play reviews where Adam Sessler was like "goddamn this anime bullshit I give this game a 1.........................

........out of 5"

for all you kids out there, this was back when G4TV was a thing that showed video games regularly.
Ha, I remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom