• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The camera is kinda pants, though. Most of the game has aged fairly gracefully, but that camera really hasn't.

SM64DS has OoT's snap-the-camera-behind-your-back button, which actually helps circumvent the glaring flaw of digital inputs (push against wall and snap camera: tada, now some things are lined up like a 2D game), but then, well, digital inputs.

I should really get around to playing Super Mario 64, eh? I need to finish this Mega Man 8 run first.

Because apparently I have to play Super Mario 64 one of these days.
Oe2oHjU.gif

what

I can hear the sounds of trying to move the camera with no success in my head right now, it has the tendency to semi lock the camera in certain areas without telling you if I recall.

Schala, remember when you smh for me having not played som RPGs? That's me right now with 64.
To be fair, I haven't played through SoM, either. Think I gave up on some tiger boss or something. I don't quite get the game mechanics; I hear they're pathetically easy once you learn how to stunlock with magic or something, but I haven't gone back to try. (Great soundtrack, though.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hahahaha, man, I love reading / hearing people's reactions whenever I tell them that I haven't played Super Mario 64 before. They always seem so shocked for some reason.

A bunch of SonicGAF members already got me to put it in my backlog, so I'm gonna play it, okay?!

I am cool. I enjoyed all the X games save the X6-8. They just weren't all that great. Also Gate is a terrible villain. I just enjoy X2 more than X4. There are some questionable design decisions in that game. Oddly this is the case with every first megaman game for platforms.
Knowing you I wouldn't bother with X6 and X7. X8, maybe, but it feels good partially because the previous ones weren't that great.

I've played SM64, but I don't think I've ever beaten it. 3D Marios tend to bore me halfway through, for some reason. Same reason I haven't beaten Sunshine or Galaxy.

Hahahaha, man, I love reading / hearing people's reactions whenever I tell them that I haven't played Super Mario 64 before. They always seem so shocked for some reason.

A bunch of SonicGAF members already got me to put it in my backlog, so I'm gonna play it, okay?!

Play it right now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I was playing along! (also I had no idea what your actual opinion of MGR was)

I consider it to be the second best game released this year and it might as well retain that spot for the foreseeable future considering what is slated to come out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We need to teach kayos how to recognize jokes better. Because joking and fooling around makes up half the post composition in here!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

they werent suppose to know that!
This is called "me trying to deflect the pangs of people being shocked that I haven't played a historically-revolutionary game onto you".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i thought you knew this

i told you wing fortress kicked my ass as a kid

and now i cant beat death egg

gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
I thought you wanted to keep that secret!

Now look what you did. Now people are going to give you hot tips for beating Wing Fortress and Death Egg. It's not that hard, qq! If I could do it, you can!

I've never beat the Death Egg robot either and I have no real desire to, i'll just say I did it vicariously through Sonic 4 and Generations.

qq more

I thought you wanted to keep that secret!

Now look what you did. Now people are going to give you hot tips for beating Wing Fortress and Death Egg. It's not that hard, qq! If I could do it, you can!

oh wait was it a secret???

shit! I don't even know my own secrets these days!

Next I'll be saying that I-

Wing Fortress also gave me problems as a kid. Specifically the part where you have to make a series of careful jumps on platforms that open and close over a bottomless pit; I'd invariably take too long and have the platforms start closing up underneath me.

I don't have much trouble with it now, but the area still instills a sense of dread in me despite that. Actually, most of the areas that gave me trouble as a kid still do; Labyrinth Zone's boss, the wall coming to crush you in Hydrocity...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The boss fight music in Sonic 4 was so grating
That's what happens when you take beta themes and don't decide to arrange them but put them in another soundfont filled with dying cats.

Shadow Hog said:
Wing Fortress also gave me problems as a kid. Specifically the part where you have to make a series of careful jumps on platforms that open and close over a bottomless pit; I'd invariably take too long and have the platforms start closing up underneath me.
When I was younger, I was always careful with my jumps in many platformers (heck, I still think I am). But stuff like Sonic, for some reason, I always feel like I have to go faster rather than take my sweet time and mull over whether or not I should jump.

Lots of falling platforms or closing platforms will do that to you. Also those blocks in Mega Man will do that to you as well, especially when you were a little kid and didn't realize that you could cheat your way over with Item-2.

Anth0ny

I should really get around to playing Super Mario 64, eh? I need to finish this Mega Man 8 run first.

Because apparently I have to play Super Mario 64 one of these days.
Oe2oHjU.gif

yeah you should.

now.

stop what you're doing and play it now. all 120 stars :)

virtual console version is best version!

I also never finished sonic 2 and I own that game since I was 3 or something

what have I been doing all my life???

what the fuck

you guys are scaring me

having grown up with the n64, I was never really exposed any RPGs from the SNES/PS1 era. As a result, I've never finished a Final Fantasy game. For some reason, I own Final Fantasy for PSP and Final Fantasy XIII on PS3. Considering I fucking adored Chrono Trigger, I'd really love to sit down and play the SNES Final Fantasies someday. Hopefully I get the chance this Summer.

Sonic 4 gave me rings, Sonic 2 did not! Learning the attack pattern is harder when you die in one hit.

The bit with the cannon doors or whatever in Wing Fortress is introduced pretty clumsily since there's a lot more of them outside your field of vision and therefore you can't tell that if you didn't hop on the first cannon immediately that you're pretty much doomed to be too slow.

Quick Question Anth0ny, what makes VC SM64 the best version?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
yeah you should.

now.

stop what you're doing and play it now. all 120 stars :)

virtual console version is best version!
I can use my GCN controller, yeah? Because that's probably my favourite Nintendo controller. Can't stand CC or CCPro for some reason. I don't like the sticks.

I have the DS version too, and I assume if I played it on my 3DS it'd be alright (the circle pad to control). 'Least that's what I was told.

having grown up with the n64, I was never really exposed any RPGs from the SNES/PS1 era. As a result, I've never finished a Final Fantasy game. For some reason, I own Final Fantasy for PSP and Final Fantasy XIII on PS3. Considering I fucking adored Chrono Trigger, I'd really love to sit down and play the SNES Final Fantasies someday. Hopefully I get the chance this Summer.
Anth0ny, first Sonic 06 and now this?

Son.

Son.

Anth0ny

Quick Question Anth0ny, what makes VC SM64 the best version?

Higher resolution (480p vs. 240p on N64) and no slowdown that plagues the N64 version. I also prefer the Gamecube controller to N64 controller, but you can easily find a N64 -> GC adapter in any case.

The DS version would be awesome if the controls didn't make the game unplayable. Nintendo should be putting out "DS classics" on the Wii U during this god awful software drought it's experiencing, starting with Mario 64 DS. I'd love to play that game with an analog stick!

I can use my GCN controller, yeah? Because that's probably my favourite Nintendo controller. Can't stand CC or CCPro for some reason. I don't like the sticks.

I have the DS version too, and I assume if I played it on my 3DS it'd be alright (the circle pad to control). 'Least that's what I was told.

Yeah, you can definitely use the GC controller.

I tried it on 3DS and it was better, but still not great. That being said, I fucking hate the circle pad, so give it a shot, you might like it.

Anth0ny, first Sonic 06 and now this?

Son.

Son.

I know. I'm way behind on RPGs. I have a whole list of games I'd like to play:

Mario RPG
Earthbound
Final Fantasy (Never finished one)
Dragon Quest (Never played one)
Tales games (Never played one)
Mario and Luigi 2 and 3
Secret of Mana
Xenoblade (gave up after a few hours)

and probably a whole bunch more. Pretty much the only RPGs I've played to completion are Pokemon, Paper Marios and Chrono Trigger. And I've enjoyed the hell out of them! I just wish I could sit down and play for 8 hours a day, every day... but school, work, girlfriend and all that jazz prevents me from doing so =/

Higher resolution (480p vs. 240p on N64) and no slowdown that plagues the N64 version. I also prefer the Gamecube controller to N64 controller, but you can easily find a N64 -> GC adapter in any case.

The DS version would be awesome if the controls didn't make the game unplayable. Nintendo should be putting out "DS classics" on the Wii U during this god awful software drought it's experiencing, starting with Mario 64 DS. I'd love to play that game with an analog stick!

Interesting, unfortunately transferring all my Wii stuff to the Wii U denies me the GC controller, I wonder how well the CC Pro works, those sticks were a tad fiddly for Sonic Colours compared to the GC...oh shit, I can't play Colours with the GC controller anymore!
But higher resolution and no slowdown sounds great.

The DS version certainly would've benefited from better controls but even so I think of it more of a SM64 remix, it's a nice companion alongside the real deal but not a replacement, for one thing Luigi's backflip is monstrously overpowered.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Interesting, unfortunately transferring all my Wii stuff to the Wii U denies me the GC controller, I wonder how well the CC Pro works, those sticks were a tad fiddly for Sonic Colours compared to the GC...oh shit, I can't play Colours with the GC controller anymore!
But higher resolution and no slowdown sounds great.

The DS version certainly would've benefited from better controls but even so I think of it more of a SM64 remix, it's a nice companion alongside the real deal but not a replacement, for one thing Luigi's backflip is monstrously overpowered.
That sounds like garbage. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. I can't imagine playing some of my Wii games without the GC controller! I genuinely love that controller. It feels very good.

I have the DS version. Seems like a tossup. If it plays alright on the 3DS with the control pad, I won't mind it too much, I guess? I mean, whatever you guys think is the definitive version, I'll go with that.

CC Pro is such an odd fellow, for some games it's great for others it just ain't, though in the case of most VC titles I prefer the CC because the GC controller for SNES platformers required mastering a new variety of claw grip. But I had to make the transfer, my Wii was about to keel over, even if my Smash and Sonic days are now much worse off.

You've got to go with the original for SM64, this isn't to completely denounce the DS game but I think the best way of putting it is that it's not really the original vision of SM64.
Nintendo made a load of half arsed remakes/ports of Mario games on the GBA that changed little but SM64 on the DS was a completely different beast to those efforts, more content, more characters, small changes all over the place. It's good enough don't get me wrong but when you start the game as Yoshi and have to unlock Mario then you know that something just ain't right.
Plus using the d pad and a run button for the game that damn near pioneered movement in a 3D space with an analogue stick just isn't the same.

Time to try and figure out what game i'll play for that March challenge thread, i've got a few in mind, when i've whittled it down you fine people here can help make the decision.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
CC Pro is such an odd fellow, for some games it's great for others it just ain't, though in the case of most VC titles I prefer the CC because the GC controller for SNES platformers required mastering a new variety of claw grip. But I had to make the transfer, my Wii was about to keel over, even if my Smash and Sonic days are now much worse off.

You've got to go with the original for SM64, this isn't to completely denounce the DS game but I think the best way of putting it is that it's not really the original vision of SM64.
Nintendo made a load of half arsed remakes/ports of Mario games on the GBA that changed little but SM64 on the DS was a completely different beast to those efforts, more content, more characters, small changes all over the place. It's good enough don't get me wrong but when you start the game as Yoshi and have to unlock Mario then you know that something just ain't right.
Plus using the d pad and a run button for the game that damn near pioneered movement in a 3D space with an analogue stick just isn't the same.

Time to try and figure out what game i'll play for that March challenge thread, i've got a few in mind, when i've whittled it down you fine people here can help make the decision.
I tried the regular old CC for VC titles a few times, and I really didn't like it. I felt like it was too chunky or the sticks weren't in the right place at all. The CCPro is an improvement, but it still feels pretty weird.

Aha, I guess this means I might have to put Dop Mii on the Wii, then. I'll see what I'll do. I'm still mulling it over, but I'd much rather go play the traditional ol' game that everyone likes. But since the DS one is more accessible to me... well, I'll see.

I know. I'm way behind on RPGs. I have a whole list of games I'd like to play:

Mario RPG
Earthbound
Final Fantasy (Never finished one)
Dragon Quest (Never played one)
Tales games (Never played one)
Mario and Luigi 2 and 3
Secret of Mana
Xenoblade (gave up after a few hours)

and probably a whole bunch more. Pretty much the only RPGs I've played to completion are Pokemon, Paper Marios and Chrono Trigger. And I've enjoyed the hell out of them! I just wish I could sit down and play for 8 hours a day, every day... but school, work, girlfriend and all that jazz prevents me from doing so =/
I don't like the circle pad much either, tbh.

I'd honestly go with something shorter. There are some RPGs that typically take about 20-30 hours. The Mario and Luigi games are relatively short, so I'd tackle those first. Whenever you have more time (ie: the summer or during a reading week), I'd take a Final Fantasy or a Dragon Quest on.

Good. Do not play that version.
It's not a bad port, honestly. Even the digital controls are mitigated considerably by a much better camera allowing me to line up jumps much, much better than even the N64 version. The added content is pretty good, too.

For a first time playthrough, the N64 game is better, but the DS game is still very good.

The DS version has the big disadvantage of worse controls, but it also has more awesome content, more playable characters (Luigi for life) and way better graphics.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
More content means nothing if the controls are not up to par, though.

Might as well go with the VC version. It's only, like, what... $8?

More content means nothing if the controls are not up to par, though.

Might as well go with the VC version. It's only, like, what... $8?

Yeah, being cheaper probably means it wins out in a big way.

Also my eyes have gotten used to SM64's graphics since watching Sig's stream, they're not that bad.

BHZ Mayor

This whole page is full of "what".

Schala, I have some less than popular opinions about the second half of Mario 64, but still, play it. Now.

qqmore and Nocturn(e)owl, you don't have to try to rush and get multiple hits on the death egg robot. If you beat Silver Sonic in a reasonable amount of time (no later than about a minute to a minute and a half), you have plenty of time to beat Robotnik easily. Just get one hit in right after he finishes stepping back before he launches up to try and land on you. If his arm shot is giving you trouble, all you have to do is get him to land all the way on the right edge of the arena, and run all the way to the left edge. You'll never have to worry about the bomb bots and his arms won't reach you. Make sure to get a hit in before he launches back up. Keep this pattern up and you should defeat him at around the 6:30-ish mark. This is how my mom and I used to defeat him for years. I also used to beat Silver Sonic 1 or 2 hits at a time. I was probably one the very few to consistently see when he jumps in the air and shoots spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom