• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole page is full of "what".

Schala, I have some less than popular opinions about the second half of Mario 64, but still, play it. Now.

qqmore and Nocturn(e)owl, you don't have to try to rush and get multiple hits on the death egg robot. If you beat Silver Sonic in a reasonable amount of time (no later than about a minute to a minute and a half), you have plenty of time to beat Robotnik easily. Just get one hit in right after he finishes stepping back before he launches up to try and land on you. If his arm shot is giving you trouble, all you have to do is get him to land all the way on the right edge of the arena, and run all the way to the left edge. You'll never have to worry about the bomb bots and his arms won't reach you. Make sure to get a hit in before he launches back up. Keep this pattern up and you should defeat him at around the 6:30-ish mark. This is how my mom and I used to defeat him for years. I also used to beat Silver Sonic 1 or 2 hits at a time. I was probably one the very few to consistently see when he jumps in the air and shoots spikes.

The second half of SM64 has Tall Tall Mountain, Tiny Huge Island and Tick Tock Clock, less than popular may be right, though i'm not a fan of Rainbow Ride so shit on that stage all day long if you want.

Well if I do one day return to the Sonic 2 finale i'll keep this in mind, and I see your game with that rogue "e" there, sullying my good name.

That little village on the hills in the background of the melee stage does look pretty out of place, fun scrolling stage though.
And thank you for reminding me about that speed run that ended with Lakitu hitting Mario with a spiny as he was blasting out the cannon, it's so unfair yet so hilarious.

I only really ever found that Death Egg boss difficult when playing as Knuckles since it's easier to accidentally jump into those spiked fists because Knuckles jumps lower.

Bought DKC2 and DK64 today, too. The former because I'm trying to bulid up my SNES collection, and the latter to see if the collectathon stuff is as bad as I remember.

Well, the ground is very much visible in the Mêlée stage while there's nothing but sky in the SM64 stage, so there's that.

I guess you could say that the SM64 incarnation is much 'igher.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thank God for the GAF Homebrew Wiki.

I haven't used the Wii Shop Channel in soooooo loooong. I don't even remember what's even on there. Do they still even put games on there?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow, they really seemed to have abandoned the Wii Shop Channel. What a shame. I remember when they announced it, I thought we were going to get everything I'd always wanted. Or games I hadn't played before.

And now look at it. Shucks.

Virtual Console started off so great. 3-4 titles releasing every week was pretty awesome. Then it got lowered to about 1-2 a week when they started up WiiWare, then there was a stretch of a few months where they uploaded absolutely nothing. Seems like they're doing the same with 3DS Virtual Console too, and I don't really have any doubts that Wii U VC will end up just as terrible.

Supposedly in Japan, the Wii VC always got something each week, with something nice coming at least every month.

This is in stark contrast to NoA and NoE, who see a WiiWare release and say "you get this OR you get VC, and since you can get this VC game on eBay..."

3DS eShop is about the same. I doubt Wii U eShop will fare better. It's maddening. I hear PSone Classics are in a similar rut, though, so I guess misery enjoys company.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Y'know, it didn't occur to me to check for new games on there.

And what the hell, they never put MM6 up? Capcom... Capcom...

I don't remember which is which; the one I played was the one in the snowy tundra and the one with the giant mech in the city. I still liked it though.
The first one was bad because... uh... oh, yeah, the camera was terrible, picking up Phantoma was awful because of the game's targetting system/how long bodies stayed on the ground for, it tells me that the game needs way more buttons and a second analog stick, keeping the MP stuff on is silly because the game seemed geared to MP, SO mission briefings shouldn't stay on the screen for a few seconds and then disappear because I don't have enough time to read everything, buncha other stuff.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30017754&postcount=413
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30020776&postcount=425
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30029352&postcount=446

The second demo was better, and it's from the first few bits of the game. Overall, though, from what Bebpo's impressions in the OT read like, I don't think I'd really dig the full game, especially after feeling "meh" after two demos. Kill Sight completely breaks the game.

Also, posts from when Final Fantasy threads were good. ;-;
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Man, I miss old Final Fantasy threads. We used to talk about shit that mattered rather than squabbling over dumb shit.

I hear PSone Classics are in a similar rut, though, so I guess misery enjoys company.
They are. We barely got anything cool until kinda late.

They still have to put up all the Complete Works games too. Kinda want them to, because I prefer playing those on my Vita rather than getting a JPSN card and playing it that way on my PS3.

I only really ever found that Death Egg boss difficult when playing as Knuckles since it's easier to accidentally jump into those spiked fists because Knuckles jumps lower.

Bought DKC2 and DK64 today, too. The former because I'm trying to bulid up my SNES collection, and the latter to see if the collectathon stuff is as bad as I remember.
It's not as bad as you remember, it's worse!
I found that out the hard way.

Wow, they really seemed to have abandoned the Wii Shop Channel. What a shame. I remember when they announced it, I thought we were going to get everything I'd always wanted. Or games I hadn't played before.

And now look at it. Shucks.

Slow and sparse release schedule aside it did at least amass quite a number of titles over time, still some odd outliers though absent from the service. But in the end I got to play plenty of games i'd never played through it so i'm a fan.

As Shadow Hog said, taking into account the Wii and 3DS VC alongside PS1 and the more recent PS2 classics why are these companies so against taking my money by putting more games up?
Alongside stopping the MM classic series at 5 they also halted X after 2, PS Store doesn't want to help me either, I didn't get those two MM collections over here (three in fact including the DS Zero Collection) so you know i'm a bit irked by these events.

How many of the Complete Works imports are on US PSN again? I've held off on buying MM5 from 3DS VC specifically because I want the PS1 version.

I hear PSone Classics are in a similar rut, though, so I guess misery enjoys company.

Yeah, it is. All of the good stuff is on JP PSN.

I had no problem with the demo's camera, but that may have been because I was playing the Gods Eater Burst demo at the same time and I was very familiar with "the claw".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How many of the Complete Works imports are on US PSN again? I've held off on buying MM5 from 3DS VC specifically because I want the PS1 version.
We just have up to 4.

Capcom just put 6 up on JPSN like... two months ago.

I had no problem with the demo's camera, but that may have been because I was playing the Gods Eater Burst demo at the same time and I was very familiar with "the claw".
D-pad to control the camera, and then you have to hold down L to get other commands for stuff like SO missions or swap characters?

That game needs two analog sticks. That control scheme is ridiculous.

I liked God Eater Burst, btw. Thought it was neat.

We just have up to 4.

Capcom just put 6 up on JPSN like... two months ago.

Damn. I'd get it from the JP store, but I don't feel like jumping through hoops to get a JP PSN card. (Weirdly enough, English Debit/Credit Cards work fine on the JP 3DS shop.)'

The last thing I expected when I woke up this morning was for a new Drakengard to be revealed.

I wanna know whose developing it!

This is honestly one of the most out of left field announcements this gen for me. Especially considering Cavia going under a couple of years ago.

Drakengard? never mind that old thing, the real comeback news today is that Ty the Tasmanian Tiger has returned! YEAH! I remember something about Thundereggs and the final boss consisting of sending a remote control boomerang into a giant robot piloted by an evil Emu.
WHAT A STONE COLD CLASSIC!

It's "Mint and White". I'd prefer just "Mint", but it's green, and I want a green 3DS XL, so I'd still take it.

Just bring it to the US, NoA.

In the picture i'm seeing the mint is leaning too much towards the blue side of things, no!
But i'm a lime green man myself, i'd want one like that DSi XL from a few years back.
Actually what I truly desire is Orange, why do Nintendo handhelds keep skipping on the Orange?

BHZ Mayor

The second half of SM64 has Tall Tall Mountain, Tiny Huge Island and Tick Tock Clock, less than popular may be right, though i'm not a fan of Rainbow Ride so shit on that stage all day long if you want.

Well if I do one day return to the Sonic 2 finale i'll keep this in mind, and I see your game with that rogue "e" there, sullying my good name.

I'm not a huge fan of anything past Lethal Lava Land tbh.

I tried replaying DK64 about a year ago and stopped at the beetle race with Tiny. The collecting is bad, but minigames and races are what take it into "what were they thinking"-tier.

Quackula

Higher resolution (480p vs. 240p on N64) and no slowdown that plagues the N64 version. I also prefer the Gamecube controller to N64 controller, but you can easily find a N64 -> GC adapter in any case.

Gamecube controller is nice for N64 games until you get to any game that wants you to use the C buttons as standard face buttons.

I totally get the benefit of running N64 games in 480p, but personally it drives me nuts. Usually, the UI assets and whatnot are designed with 240p in mind, so they end up kinda looking like ass next to the higher res 3D right next to them.

More seriously, they're pretty wildly different. Art style is nothing alike, for one; SMRPG goes for an isometric pre-rendered look, which is pretty nifty, while Mario & Luigi goes for a more traditional pixel art approach with a cartoony style, which I'd say is the more effective of the two. SMRPG lets you have three party members out of five total (Mario, Bowser, Peach, Geno and Mallow... although I don't think you can swap out Mario), while Mario & Luigi pretty much only has, well, Mario and Luigi, and places a lot of emphasis on what the two brothers can do as a pair, with lots of team-up attacks based on jumping, hammering and moves based on their different "elements" (with Mario focusing on fire and Luigi electricity, IIRC). Both have a lot of focus on platforming outside of the battle system, with the ability to skip normal fights by avoiding enemies entirely, and feature the whole "Timed Hits" thing in-battle (hell, SMRPG had the feature from the get-go, and I wouldn't be surprised if it introduced the concept outright). The plots share that balance of humor and seriousness that all Mario RPGs tend to have. I think SMRPG takes itself a bit more seriously, but only just; it's kinda hard to assert that a game with a wedding cake for a boss is "serious", y'know? Aurally, they're both composed by Yoko Shimomura, so no matter which game you choose, you annoy Dark Schala get about the same great level of composition quality.

So... yeah, looking back on it, they really are pretty similar. M&L has a lot more surrounding the whole gimmick of having Mario and Luigi together at almost all times, while SMRPG's gimmick was being an RPG starring Mario (unheard of at the time!), and as such plays the concept a lot more straight. Both are worth a look; it just boils down to what you're in the mood for at a given moment.

(Note that I've only played Superstar Saga, so what I've said about M&L is generally limited to that title.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eugh, I still feel exhausted. Dunno why I feel tired since I got a relatively decent amount of sleep last night (no; I kept waking up a bit, but I still got sleep). Gotta shape up cuz I have an exam to study for on Friday.

I started my run of Mega Man 8 yesterday. Now I remember why I'm not too fond of it. It's not jump jump slide slide (because I remember not being irritated with it as a teenager, oddly enough -- outside of the damn voices). It's the level design. I don't like the level design much at all. Pretty sure when I watched Bean go through Astro Man's stage the other day, I was thinking how terrible the stage design was (but watching someone play a game and playing it yourself are two completely different things).

At the moment, I feel indifferent to it.

I wish I could beat the Genesis Sonic games but they're so hard...
What exactly are you having trouble with? We can totally help out. Pretty sure most of us have beaten 'em multiple times.

I'm still not sure if all the loading times ruined or improved the part where literally everyone got into the ring.
Pretty sure it improved it. I know I was laughing throughout the entire thing.

Outside of the chat being obnoxious as usual.

Aurally, they're both composed by Yoko Shimomura, so no matter which game you choose, you annoy Dark Schala get about the same great level of composition quality.
^_____^

You're pretty accurate about SMRPG vs M&L, btw. I'm not too fond of SMRPG in the first place, and I don't think it's aged well, but if you want to play it to get it into your repertoire, go right on ahead. Actually, I remember when I went through it when I was a preteen and felt bored throughout the entire thing. Years later, I don't really like it much.

I do feel as though the M&L games are better and are more clever in terms of their scripts, with Bowser's Inside Story being the peak of those games.

Noi

Pretty sure when I watched Bean go through Astro Man's stage the other day, I was thinking how terrible the stage design was (but watching someone play a game and playing it yourself are two completely different things).

You already forgot our discussion on how bad the stage was when I streamed it? :(

Tizoc

Well the whole Knuckles, Krudzu & Thrash story has finally ended, and we are now 1 step away from the major crossover in the Archie comics X3. Oh and it looks like we'll FINALLY learn who the traitor is @_@.
This gave me a chuckle-
ExaoGAk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom