• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

Mind the Canadians in thread don't catch you picking favourites ;p

Flies can get pretty bad in the warmer months and mosquitoes are pretty annoying depending on where you live. Random assortments of little bugs tend to cluster on monitors once things warm up, too. Cicadas are pretty cool, though.

Canadians are pretty cool to but I have heritage in Australia so I'm biased :p

That's the one. Occasionally I think I'd move to Mother England if it was logistically feasible. Not really cut out for the climate here; would take miserable weather over the could-literally-burn-you-to-death Summers we have. Just barely in to Spring and the bushfires are already starting!

You can join me and Nocturnowl. Then we can start a BritSonicGAF thread, with its own podcast.

It's called "Must Proceed Swiftly".

mzl.ygfxujzc.175x175-r8lv4.jpg

screen6_568x568wrbc9.jpeg
screen7_568x568hnxkr.jpeg
screen8_568x568dxlz9.jpeg

These iOS knockoffs just keep coming

Honestly, I see this shit and all I can think is, "Look, Freedom Planet definitely features Sonic fan characters from a Chinese deviantART-ist, but at least it's really fun to play and, y'know, not this blatant shit."

Kokonoe

Banned
Anarchy Reigns isn't too bad, but from what I've played of the intro, it gets kind of boring.
W101 on the other hand could definitely use some polish on it's controls.

I've played these Platinum games

W101
Anarchy Reigns
Bayonetta
Mad World

and the only one I actually genuinely enjoyed was Bayonetta. Not really sure why Platinum gets the praise, maybe it's Vanquish.

mzl.ygfxujzc.175x175-r8lv4.jpg

http://abload.de/img/screen6_568x568wrbc9.jpeg[img] [img]http://abload.de/img/screen7_568x568hnxkr.jpeg[img] [img]http://abload.de/img/screen8_568x568dxlz9.jpeg[img]

These iOS knockoffs [I]just keep coming[/I]

Honestly, I see this shit and all I can think is, "Look, [I]Freedom Planet[/I] definitely features [I]Sonic[/I] fan characters from a Chinese deviantART-ist, but at least it's really fun to play and, y'know, not [B]this[/B] blatant shit."[/QUOTE]

That looks like if Sonic and Tails used the Fusion-ha.

Canadians are pretty cool to but I have heritage in Australia so I'm biased :p

Fair enough. Most of the best Canadians have heritage in Australia too (basing this on their 2003 cricket world cup team)

I find it insane that W101 wasn't even their worst selling game in Japan.

It's a little crazy, yeah. I mean it's an infinitely better game than Mad World, but Mad World had the Wii's insane user base, the unique graphic style and the audio design (soundtrack, humorous commentary) behind it.

That it managed to best Mad World isn't really an achievement by any means, but it's still surprising.

You can join me and Nocturnowl. Then we can start a BritSonicGAF thread, with its own podcast.

It's called "Must Proceed Swiftly".

Maybe one day. I actually know someone who emigrated from England to Australia. Must've been crazy.

Anarchy Reigns isn't too bad, but from what I've played of the intro, it gets kind of boring.
W101 on the other hand could definitely use some polish on it's controls.

I've played these Platinum games

W101
Anarchy Reigns
Bayonetta
Mad World

and the only one I actually genuinely enjoyed was Bayonetta. Not really sure why Platinum gets the praise, maybe it's Vanquish.

Overall it's in terms of their stock; they're basically the reincarnation of Clover, who made some of Capcom's best, most creative games of the GCN/PS2 generation. In terms of their games developed as P*, iit's pretty much just Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Wonderful 101 (which are three fantastic, best-in-field games, don't get me wrong) with the MW/AR games being pretty middling.

Of course Mikami has left since then so they've lost a little of that cache.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game really isn't for me. I mean, okay. There's some depth (yes, there actually is), but it takes so fucking long to get there. Not to mention you don't seem to need premium characters at all given that one of the better attackers is unlocked in-game anyway and just needs some better equipment for it.

Eh? Platinum games are really excellent. They deserve a lot of praise for what they do. It's just that you really have to take a lot of time with their games to discover depth with respect to balancing, attacking, block/dodge, canceling, etc. They're probably bad at tutorials in general, but when you dive deep into the games they've developed, they're among the best of the best. Playing a Plat game on max difficulty is probably the best thing you could do, simply because of what you've achieved with respect to learning about the depth of it.

So I just bought Sonic Adventure 1 off of Steam and tried it out. I died 4 times due to colliding with the wall and glitching through the floor. Was the original release this glitchy, or is it just a bad port?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I just bought Sonic Adventure 1 off of Steam and tried it out. I died 4 times due to colliding with the wall and glitching through the floor. Was the original release this glitchy, or is it just a bad port?
SA1 was a miserable port on all platforms, if I recall correctly.

I don't remember if people made mods for it. They probably did and I can't remember a lot of them off the top of my head at the moment.

qq more

The only Platinum games I've played are:
MadWorld - I thought was okay. I really regret buying it full price though. $10 game at best. It was a decent game, but it definitely had some moments.

W101 demo - It's pretty neat but oh god do I suck bad at it. I've only played it once so it hasn't exactly clicked completely yet. But yeah, fun game, it has promise.

Metal Gear Rising - GOTY Material. It's short but oh my god, the OST is so kickass and the combat is soooo satisfying. I don't mind the game's short length, it kind of adds replay value because of that. I honestly did not expect the game to be that fun to me.

I want to try out Bayonetta. I've recently borrowed the PS3 copy (I know I know) from my brother since I do not own an Xbox. The SEGA references is kind of one of the big reasons why I want to try it, that and I've heard so much good about the game.

I don't mind people loving Platinum, but I really hate it when a lot of them say "PLATINUM SHOULD MAKE ________ AND _______". It's almost as bad as everyone wanting every game to copy off Demon/Dark Souls. There is no such thing as games or developers that are the end-all.

Lemme get my post where I've ranted about that horrible Steam release.

Kokonoe

Banned
Overall it's in terms of their stock; they're basically the reincarnation of Clover, who made some of Capcom's best, most creative games of the GCN/PS2 generation. In terms of their games developed as P*, iit's pretty much just Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Wonderful 101 (which are three fantastic, best-in-field games, don't get me wrong) with the MW/AR games being pretty middling.

Of course Mikami has left since then so they've lost a little of that cache.

Hmm.. I see. I don't know, I think W101 is all right, just it and the other Platinum games I've played just haven't seemed to be of the same quality of Bayonetta. The others are like passable (except Mad World), but nothing great like Bayonetta. I guess I'll have to try out Vanquish. I prefer third person shooters to first person shooters most of the time so a stylish one looks interesting.

It's a port of a port, hence the glitches. There is actually fan patch for it here.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=25301

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played Bayo on PS3. Noi did, too, iirc.

We're fine with the game overall. Just sucks that it ended up that way.

Look, what you always need to remember is that Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Devil May Cry 3 SE: DA are the three most important action games out there. Period.

The original PC port of Sonic Adventure DX (prior to the port of the XBLA port) is basically quality (at least, as quality as Sonic Adventure can be) and somewhat plentiful here in Australia. I think there are widescreen mods and stuff for it.

I think Wonderful 101 is gonna be great, but it's also the most inaccessible game to come out of Platinum/Clover since God Hand(which if you don't recall, had a demon inexplicably pop up and kill your ass ten minutes into the game while you're still learning the controls). And it doesn't do a great job actually explaining the mechanics, either.

I'm gonna love it probably, but it's gonna bomb so hard in America its gonna make a grown man cry. A chaotic, inaccessible game in a kid-friendly candy wrapper on a dead console. Atomic bomba status, ya'll.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think Wonderful 101 is gonna be great, but it's also the most inaccessible game to come out of Platinum/Clover since God Hand(which if you don't recall, had a demon inexplicably pop up and kill your ass ten minutes into the game while you're still learning the controls). And it doesn't do a great job actually explaining the mechanics, either.

I'm gonna love it probably, but it's gonna bomb so hard in America its gonna make a grown man cry. A chaotic, inaccessible game in a kid-friendly candy wrapper on a dead console. Atomic bomba status, ya'll.

Hahaha.

Wonderful 101 is pretty much Bayonetta by way of Okami with Pikmin presentation. It can feel obtuse, but once you get a handle on it it's fucking fabulous. Pretty much top shelf Hideki Kamiya/P* stuff.

I wasn't surprised when it bombed, that's something I've gotten used to after following these developers for a decade. It was the magnitude of the explosion that I didn't expect.

qq more

My rant about the SADX steam port:

Not the worst one but Sonic Adventure DX on Steam (not the 2004 PC version). Loads of framerate issues, no wide screen support... and there's probably more but I didn't dig deep enough into it. It's god damn awful. The 2004 PC version by comparison has none of those issues.

Oh and the framerate is so bad in the Steam port that even the character select screen suffers low framerate. Seriously, the FUCKING character select has bad framerate!! How did they managed to do that?! It's unbelievable.

For comparison's sake, my PC can run Sonic Generation at max settings in 60fps and that's a 2011 game compared to a 1999 game! What the heck, SEGA?

Oh and for some reason the game doesn't want to boot up anymore. Lovely.

Definitely get the fan patch Kokonoe posted. It fixed a lot of the issues.

EDIT: wait, that fan patch looks a little different than I've remembered. Is this the one that basically turns the Steam version into the 2004 port? Or is it a different patch all together?

Kokonoe

Banned
There's also the choice of using Dolphin or a Dreamcast emulator to play in 1080p if you want widescreen without all the issue.

My rant about the SADX steam port:

Oh and for some reason the game doesn't want to boot up anymore. Lovely.

Definitely get the fan patch Kokonoe posted. It fixed a lot of the issues.

EDIT: wait, that fan patch looks a little different than I've remembered. Is this the one that basically turns the Steam version into the 2004 port? Or is it a different patch all together?

This is a patch that patches bugs. It's not 2004 slapped on there. They trial and error tested the game and fixed issues with it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know, it's weird being home during mornings when I usually have my shift at the hospital. Haha. There's a lot of activity that I just seem to miss when I do work my shifts.

Kinda feel bad, just because there's a lot of patients lately and they need more help these days, but I had to do my own nursing at home, sooooo...

This. It doesn't explain itself very well, and we saw that in the demo. When I actually did go out and try everything out and play around with everything I probably could, then I finally liked the demo because it felt suited to an action game. The idea that it's kinda like Pikmin is erroneous because you're essentially doing action-based combat in-battle (with an utterly broken character at your disposal at times). It's great action combat, but you really need to dig into it to see what's there. And that's probably a bit of an issue.

I don't really think it's going to do very well, either. Shame, but... that seems to be the general case with Platinum games, unfortunately.

qq more

There's also the choice of using Dolphin or a Dreamcast emulator to play in 1080p if you want widescreen without all the issue.

How good is the Dreamcast emulation? I wouldn't mind playing my DC games on my computer.

This is a patch that patches bugs. It's not 2004 slapped on there. They trial and error tested the game and fixed issues with it.

Ohhh. I see! Hope it patches well with the other patch I've mentioned.

Kokonoe

Banned
How good is the Dreamcast emulation? I wouldn't mind playing my DC games on my computer.

Ohhh. I see! Hope it patches well with the other patch I've mentioned.

Pretty good. Perhaps not Dolphin good, but definitely nice. NullDC is what I believe everyone uses now.

Wonderful 101 is pretty much Bayonetta by way of Okami with Pikmin presentation. It can feel obtuse, but once you get a handle on it it's fucking fabulous. Pretty much top shelf Hideki Kamiya/P* stuff.

I wasn't surprised when it bombed, that's something I've gotten used to after following these developers for a decade. It was the magnitude of the explosion that I didn't expect.

Mad World omega bomba of all bombas kinda made sense to me, it had a very western comic book aesthetic and feel...plus the game was pretty mediocre.

I thought Japan would be more interested in this super-sentai game. Even Viewtiful Joe sold out it's 100k initial shipment in the first week. W101 was...

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
The Wonderful 101: 6,663
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

Kamiya pls

I'm gonna enjoy Bayonetta 2 while I can because that's probably the last time Nintendo saves these guys again

I'm gonna enjoy Bayonetta 2 while I can because that's probably the last time Nintendo saves these guys again

I really don't know where Platinum goes from here. Sega are obviously done with them, Nintendo will probably be happy to finish their relationship after Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

Pretty much all they've got in terms of commercial successes is MGR, which rode on the strength of the Metal Gear brand. Publishers aren't going to be lining up to commission projects when their library is filled with sales failure after failure.

All I can say is we live in a world where Spark Unlimited and Ninja Theory keep getting work for their mediocre AAA games, surely there's hope left for Platinum.

Grasshopper was recently acquired by GungHo Online Entertainment, so Suda51 is financially set now. He can make as many weird, janky bombas as he wants!

Hmm.. I see. I don't know, I think W101 is all right, just it and the other Platinum games I've played just haven't seemed to be of the same quality of Bayonetta. The others are like passable (except Mad World), but nothing great like Bayonetta. I guess I'll have to try out Vanquish. I prefer third person shooters to first person shooters most of the time so a stylish one looks interesting.

It's a port of a port, hence the glitches. There is actually fan patch for it here.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=25301

Thanks.

Tizoc

Sonic Adventure 1 on PS3 seems to run...OK even though it's restricted to 4:3 ratio =P
Speaking of which, the 4:3 ratio never bothered me while playing Castle of Illusion port by M2.

Grasshopper was recently acquired by GungHo Online Entertainment, so Suda51 is financially set now. He can make as many weird, janky bombas as he wants!

I want those blasted janky bombas on Steam/PC, it's a shame Shadows of the Damned nor Lollipop Chainsaw are ever gonna get a PC ver. =/

qq more

I'm playing All The Bravest and it's the best Final Fantasy game EVER

WOW

SO DEEP

lol did they seriously fucking charged 3-4 dollars for this?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually, now that I've played it for a bit, there is a very small degree of depth to it. I need more time with it before saying any more.

It should have been F2P in the first place.

qq more

im fucking dying at the fact there's paid DLC in this shallow game

its so shallow

like omg

who would want to pay DLC characters on the most shallow game ever?

qq more

the final fantasy is overuned by all the bravest so the final fantasy is no longer smudge and it is now smudge on a never smudged final fantasy before

ok im gonna play breath of fire 2

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wrote shit.

[coming from a quote from another member about how the game should've been auto-battle] Then there'd be a lack of player-agency if that were the case. Given the staff on this, I don't think that's what they would've wanted at all. With that said, though, they did kind of miss the point as to why ATB was important to the genre and to the series in general, even if they tried to rectify it with some DPS characters after a while.

Either way, I think it should've been either menu-based or "the player controlling a unit whose ATB meter fills up and you execute their actions as you see fit just by swapping menus" as opposed to swiping the screen. It makes the game seem like a complete joke (and to be fair, the difficulty isn't that high at this point in time), but player agency could have been handled so much better than how it is here.

With respect to ATB, the reason why ATB is so special and why it was considered revolutionary was because it added more depth to combat, and allowed players to think on their feet. With other additions such as turn-swapping and the meter being visible to the player, the player was able to take appropriate action when it was completely necessary. It changed the flow of battle to something faster-paced provided you aren't on Wait. Now, from what I see, the meters in All the Bravest seem to fill almost at the same rate, so almost every character is interchangeable in what they do (they all dish damage, so classes that rely on support like the White Mage are completely taken out of their element and the game becomes more of a case of dealing damage quickly as opposed to strategizing and waiting to take appropriate action). I'm not sure if there's a case of attack-cancelling, either, but this is where ATB should have headed in terms of its direction (which it did in FFX-2).

When you're busy taking action in All the Bravest, you aren't necessarily thinking of which characters to hit to attack or the attack animations they have because almost every single character is expendable. They don't really seem to have some sort of individualistic "thing" that separates them from the rest unless they are a DPS character. For the most part, you can attack without taking DPS traits and character animations into consideration and still win, which is a large shame. I can understand what they were trying to do here: different attacks take different times to animate, if you want to get rid of enemies quicker you want a higher DPS, and you should have timed your touch to the party member to take that into account. But in the end, it kind of doesn't matter at this point. It's almost the equivalent of constantly selecting "attack" or auto-battle so you can win. So far, there aren't really any enemies or bosses that force you to take advantage of timing because they don't challenge the player to think of using support skills (of which there are none), and timing your attacks appropriately (and by some measure, I wish you could see the enemy ATB gauge because then it would tell you when you should swipe and when you shouldn't).

It just feels like they took the "hit the enemies fast enough before they hit you" mentality of the battle system when really that isn't necessarily what FF battle systems were all about. They aren't necessarily battles of attrition or "who can deal damage faster". They're about timing your attacks appropriately, choosing to defend appropriately, and supporting whenever it's needed. That's why CSB evolved from ATB. Or why ATB Kai evolved from normal ATB.

In that respect, that's what I'm most disappointed with when it comes to FF:ATB. It's like they forgot what battles were truly focused on.

On a personal front, though, I don't think this game is completely garbage! Shocking, I know, but I think it has some semblance of depth when it comes to getting additional equipment and making the damage per second classes like the Monk rather important because they do have longer attack animations. When they're animating, they can't be attacked, and that makes some of these characters have the largest advantage on the field. The localization is really funny, and the game looks really good. It's just basically one of those timewasters that you should probably play for 5 minutes at a time.

It should have been F2P in the first place. Now that it is F2P, I don't see any harm in it existing.
I'll play it more, but I don't really hate it at this point. It's legitimately not the worst game I've ever played.

I'm very willing to give games the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes to my detriment (as you all know by now, yep), but it's a decent timewaster that you'd play while waiting for an appointment or for the bus or for class or something.

BlackJace

Well yes, it's a time waster, but I just can't believe they were charging for it in the first place.
You can close your eyes and count on you emerging victorious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wrote more shit because Stump brought up some good points about it.

Now holding down a button wouldn't be too bad. Or asking a line of attackers to attack wouldn't be too bad.

Whenever there is more than one enemy onscreen, you do get into this weird situation where you're trying to hold on for dear life since enemies can attack more than one person. Unlike you, where you don't seem to have control over who you target (a good example is the one battle in the FFII world against four Black Knights who could probably wipe your characters out if you're not playing one encounter route over and over), so your damage is being spread over a radius as opposed to being able to concentrate on one brute and get things done faster. That is the most unfortunate part of that.

And you can't even regulate where your characters go, so there are times where your DPS characters will get completely wiped and you're left with casters and single-hitters which take longer for damage to be output. That makes encounters slower. The better thing would be allowing the player to select which classes they want in a battle as opposed. Would it break the game? Probably. Is it more strategic that way, though? Yeah, it is, because you have more agency in class selection and possible strategizing.

The game is designed with IAP in mind, so the casual player playing this at a bus stop or in the waiting room would probably not go out grinding when they can instantly purchase a character to make things better and easier for them). And the goal of the game is fanservice, so hiding a lot of these extras behind IAP is typical of their design philosophy.

It does need work. It's not perfect. I can see what they were trying to do with it, but... there are some things that should have been handed to the player in terms of customization in order to make battles possibly faster, more strategic, and have more agency. It's disappointing, really. I'm very willing to play it even longer than I have so I can give it a fair chance, but so far, I'm kind of feeling in the middle of the road, here. I don't outright hate it because the game definitely isn't garbage by any means. But at the same time, I can't help but to feel disappointed that they forgot why ATB and player agency was important for Final Fantasy as a whole.

The sad thing is people would have loved to play a game with a class system and where you can use your favorite characters from the series as party members as you traveled through all the worlds in the series in chronological order exploring things and just having a good old nostalgia filled romp.

But no.

Because fuck you.

TheOGB

Banned
The power just went out for the whole block. The fuck is this shit?

edit: ...And we're back. THE POWER OF COMPLAINING!

Seriously though, second time in half an hour. Hope this doesn't become a thing.

Regiruler

Ugh, Konami makes me want to punch a wall if the rumors I'm hearing are true.

Fake edit: it's concerning Yugioh, nothing videogame related

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Konami was dead to me a long time ago.

They couldn't even save themselves with that game that masqueraded as a Genso Suikoden game last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom