• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

sure are a lot of japanese vita games coming out next year in america. if the system doesn't create a healthy ecosystem with all of those in that time, i think even that support will get pulled.

Kokonoe

Banned
the final fantasy is overuned by all the bravest so the final fantasy is no longer smudge and it is now smudge on a never smudged final fantasy before

ok im gonna play breath of fire 2

Well you see, it's designed this way so you can simulate actually cleaning a window with your screen. Rub it, imagine your thumb is a napkin, and you have your Final Fantasy window cleaning simulator.

Aha, Sonic's on the front page of the Guardian's website.

edit: Actually, it's a cracking article. Of interest is Iizuka talking about Sonic Team:

During these years Yuji Naka led the so-called Sonic Team through a string of inventive hits, from Burning Rangers to Phantasy Star Online. But, contrary to perception, Sonic Team itself doesn't exist. "There was never a set team as such," explains Iizuka. "Whatever group of people was working on one of Naka's games at the time were referred to as the Sonic Team. But Naka had a keen idea of what Sonic Team's games should stand for."

qq more

sure are a lot of japanese vita games coming out next year in america. if the system doesn't create a healthy ecosystem with all of those in that time, i think even that support will get pulled.
Man, that's not good! Wii U also needs to create a healthy ecosystem but I fear that might be too late too...

Well you see, it's designed this way so you can simulate actually cleaning a window with your screen. Rub it, imagine your thumb is a napkin, and you have your Final Fantasy window cleaning simulator.

It's a Screen Saver + window cleaning simulator!

For the types of Japanese games the Vita is getting in the west, the system's ecosystem is "healthy" enough, otherwise we wouldn't still be getting them.

OMG Aero

Aha, Sonic's on the front page of the Guardian's website.

edit: Actually, it's a cracking article. Of interest is Iizuka talking about Sonic Team:
I was reading through that article at work today and decided to look at the comments afterwards.
BQ9c1ls.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, that's good. I kinda hope I don't import some of them in the meantime since the exchange rate isn't in my favour again, and I would prefer to play the English version in some cases. Regardless, I'm very happy about that.

Though, ah, I kinda hope it's the stuff that aren't things I'd deem as schlock.

Iizuka said:
"It's true that, when you feature a speed-based character you require far longer levels," says lizuka. That immediately means the production is longer and development is more costly. Crafting background details keeps the costs up. We've tried to keep it to a manageable level while keeping the feel and fidelity of the game world. It's a balancing act, but one that we continue to improve at."

However, lizuka rejects the idea that Sonic has significantly changed over the past 22 years. He says: "The surroundings have changed. The supporting characters and enemies have changed. But Sonic himself retains the same character as he did in the beginning. I've lived with Sonic ever since then. He's been a part of my life. He keeps me young."
Unsure why, but the last bit made me laugh.

I kinda want to see level maps for everything Iizuka had a hand in (and Dimps), simply for the comparison between the old stuff and his stuff. I know we talked about branching paths a few years ago and were happy that they "were embracing them again", so I think it's not just length they should be concentrating on, but "depth" as well.

And those boss fights in the Sonic Lost World trailer we saw the other day was um... hm. Well, it looks like there are different mechanics and more in-depth mechanics than boss fights of late, but it just reminded me so much of the race boss fights in Generations that it made me feel a little wary.

qq more

I know we talked about branching paths a few years ago and were happy that they "were embracing them again", so I think it's not just length they should be concentrating on, but "depth" as well.

I feel this is what should be done in platformers more often. I find shorter deeper levels far more fun than long linear levels.

Razzer

I feel this is what should be done in platformers more often. I find shorter deeper levels far more fun than long linear levels.

And you'd think that production managers would love the idea too. Make your game longer (through replay value) with less assets, and therefore less money? Sounds awesome!

AniHawk

Oh, that's good. I kinda hope I don't import some of them in the meantime since the exchange rate isn't in my favour again, and I would prefer to play the English version in some cases. Regardless, I'm very happy about that.

Though, ah, I kinda hope it's the stuff that aren't things I'd deem as schlock.

what would you consider schlock? that game aksys is bringing over?

i guess one way to look at it is this: there are less niche japanese games being made for ps3 and almost none for ps4 (within the next year). if this is your lifeblood, then you'll try and bring as many of these games over as you can. with aksys, xseed, and nisa (and gaijinworks to a much smaller extent) all fighting for the same audience, they're pretty much going to pull anything that looks remotely profitable.

AniHawk

so here's a fun one: what are the best games that never made it to the us? and i'm interested in obscure stuff, like the xak games, or the firemen. terranigma, seiken densetsu iii, dragon quest rocket slime 3 is all well and good, but i'm talking about the real nitty gritty.

can be from any generation.

Kokonoe

Banned
Super Mario RPG time!

Playing it on my shield in dat purrrrfect pixels. I actually never got to beat this game and didn't get too far since I lost my save file a long time ago. Love the music.

so here's a fun one: what are the best games that never made it to the us? and i'm interested in obscure stuff, like the xak games, or the firemen. terranigma, seiken densetsu iii, dragon quest rocket slime 3 is all well and good, but i'm talking about the real nitty gritty.

Vib Ribbon, obv

And what's Baby Mario doing palling around with a bunch of adults?

I'd say Radiant Silvergun or Pulseman, but that's probably too obvious.

Willy Wombat on the Saturn always looked kinda cool, but I've never played it to assert it as the "best" or anything. It even has English voice acting despite being a Japan-only game! (Although we're talking Deep Fear-level quality here, so it's patently terrible voice-acting. Nevertheless...)

Other than that, JewWario's "You Can Play This!" series highlights several.

qq more

lol Am I the only one who is not excited for GTAV? GTA Online does sound kind of interesting though.

Ganbare Goemon 2 for the SNES. It is definitely for platformer lovers like us!

Super Mario RPG time!

Playing it on my shield in dat purrrrfect pixels. I actually never got to beat this game and didn't get too far since I lost my save file a long time ago. Love the music.

:O

I wanna see SNES games on dat shield. They don't look perfect on the Wii U GamePad unfortunately, but they still look pretty nice. (and way better than the blurry NES games, ugh)

Kokonoe

Banned
:O

I wanna see SNES games on dat shield. They don't look perfect on the Wii U GamePad unfortunately, but they still look pretty nice. (and way better than the blurry NES games, ugh)

HdwTGD7.jpg

From my testing, it plays SNES, PS1, Sega Genesis, NES, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance perfectly and with perfect pixels. Most N64 games on this run perfectly, only one I had issues with was Bomberman Hero but it might be my settings. It runs smooth, however, just a few hiccups. Star Fox 64 runs like a beast. So I don't need Star Fox 64 3DS anymore since this is 720p. I tested out the PSP emulator, the free one, and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles runs perfectly.

Seriously. This is way better than the Game Pad in terms of comfort and as a controller. It took me a few days to realize it, but it rocks and is built like a tank. I haven't been using the streaming because I've been using this purely as an emulator device and I am extremely happy with my purchase of this.

I tested out DS games as well and they run perfectly, too. This device is actually making me play more games than I have been since they're so easily accessible now and I don't have to worry about playing on small screens due to it's DPI override. There is no other emulator machine that is as good as this.

Speaking of JP only games, I think I might actually get around to buying the Famicom Kid Dracula game one of these days. As big a fan as I am of Castlevania, I've never dabbled with that particular spin off series.

Now that I've finally gotten around to picking up an AV Famicom, I just ordered the Famicom versions of MM 1-6, since they're generally less pricier than some of the NES equivalents (MM1, 5 and 6, especially)

Kokonoe

Banned
One more thing to note is the battery life is insane, which surprises me. I've been playing for 4 hours, but look. (well technically you can't see it since my camera sucks)

jan3mHl.jpg

90% battery still.

Kokonoe

Banned
WHAT!? Wow... How big is the battery?!

I have no idea. I just know this thing lasts a long time. You can even close it like a DS and it'll instantly go into sleep mode. You could literally watch movies on this thing and still have enough juice to play games for hours. I bet I can get more juice out of this if I disable Wi-Fi.

qq more

I have no idea. I just know this thing lasts a long time. You can even close it like a DS and it'll instantly go into sleep mode. You could literally watch movies on this thing and still have enough juice to play games for hours. I bet I can get more juice out of this if I disable Wi-Fi.

For all the shit people gave shield pre-release... this sure sounds like it turned out to be actually amazing.

Kokonoe

Banned
For all the shit people gave shield pre-release... this sure sounds like it turned out to be actually amazing.

Yeah. I was actually turned off due to GAFs initial reaction to it. I guess this proves I shouldn't listen to GAF for my purchases. lol

This is honestly the best thing I've bought in a long time. PLUS ANGRY BIRDZZZZZ!

qq more

Yeah. I was actually turned off due to GAFs initial reaction to it. I guess this proves I shouldn't listen to GAF for my purchases. lol

This is honestly the best thing I've bought in a long time. PLUS ANGRY BIRDZZZZZ!

My brother keeps telling me to not get the Shield because of the price and he also thought it was going to suck.
lol

Kokonoe

Banned
My brother keeps telling me to not get the Shield because of the price and he also thought it was going to suck.
lol

For the build quality and how excellent I can run these emulators, it's worth every penny. The difference between the Wii U Game Pad and this is one is streaming device that is intended to be bundled with a console so it's battery life and resolution and other details are a bit lower since they're trying to budget it so the Wii U doesn't cost like a bazillion dollars. This is a premium device, hence the battery life and power. It actually has the strongest CPU from any android device at the moment, so hopefully we'll get Dolphin on this sometime in the future. CPU is better for Dolphin than GPU.

qq more

For the build quality and how excellent I can run these emulators, it's worth every penny. The difference between the Wii U Game Pad and this is one is streaming device that is intended to be bundled with a console so it's battery life and resolution and other details are a bit lower since they're trying to budget it so the Wii U doesn't cost like a bazillion dollars. This is a premium device, hence the battery life and power. It actually has the strongest CPU from any android device at the moment, so hopefully we'll get Dolphin on this sometime in the future. CPU is better for Dolphin than GPU.

Oh man, that would be awesome. Sonic Colors on dat Shield would be excellent. Game runs like 20ish FPS on my comp.

EDIT: LOL Forgot this came with Sonic 4 Episode Walrus Goo Goo G'joob.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
what would you consider schlock? that game aksys is bringing over?

i guess one way to look at it is this: there are less niche japanese games being made for ps3 and almost none for ps4 (within the next year). if this is your lifeblood, then you'll try and bring as many of these games over as you can. with aksys, xseed, and nisa (and gaijinworks to a much smaller extent) all fighting for the same audience, they're pretty much going to pull anything that looks remotely profitable.
Well, stuff like Mind = 0, Conception II (which is unfortunate because the first one was a good starting point), Neptunia PP, Meikyuu Cross Blood: Infinity, etc. Anything that seems to not be beloved on at least mk2 (because its reviews are moderated), I'd probably give pause to bringing over. People troll on Amazon in general, so that's not something I'll pay attention to often. Though, I suppose that, yes, since Sei Madou Monogatari seems to be buggy (which could probably be fixed in an update/during localization), laggy, and seems to have odd balancing/dungeon design. Demon Gaze seems to be relatively decent from both GAF members' and mk2 impressions, so that's one I don't mind coming over at all. I was going to import it until I saw that someone was localizing it.

The thing about it is that if you bring over so many mediocre titles at once, it might dilute the genre a bit, and might encourage some sort of mindset where people think the genre's dying when it kind of isn't. A lot of the Idea Factory/Compile Heart games aren't generally well-received in Japan in terms of their game mechanics, for instance. Though on the other hand, Neptunia games post-the first one play rather well despite their appearances and general pandering. And the Atelier games should probably get more credit for their game mechanics than they already are getting.

Though, you're right. If there's really nothing else to bring over at all and you make your living localizing something or other, I guess you might have to resort bringing less-than-stellar products over. With that said, I'm surprised that given the recent surge in popularity for puzzle/visual novels like 999/VLR, no one's really attempted to go for console/portable releases of 428, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, Xblaze, etc. Though I suppose that genre isn't exactly a huge boon yet, and I suppose Dangan Ronpa sales might factor into them considering to bring more of those types of games here (or raw visual novels sans the puzzles since those cater to particular audiences). I'm very surprised that NISA didn't think of bringing Special Report Division since I think it was the NIS 20th Anniversary game? I was interested in that, at least.

Hm. Is Emerald Dragon considered obscure? If you do get that one, get the PCE version. It's one of the better RPGs of that time. The Atlas and Cosmic Fantasy might be worth your time, too.

With respect to the Saturn, Ronde is a pretty... weird... red-headed stepchild of the Majin Tensei games (the TRPG spinoffs of the SMT games). Asuka 120% Burning Festival Limited is a fighting game that doesn't look that amazing, but it's okay. It's basically a three-button fighter. Two buttons are weak/strong attacks, and the move changes based on the direction you're holding. So... it has more depth than you think it might have.

Oh, there's this really obscure adventure game called Hungry Ghosts on the PS2. It's by the guy who did Ghosts n Goblins. Looking around, HG101 has a writeup for it.

There're also a bunch of neat Wonderswan games which I'm trying to get back into. Even if some of them are based heavily on anime, a lot of them are relatively decent. So you do have a bulk of Digimon games, Klonoa: Moonlight Museum, Judgement Silversword (good shmup), Blue Wing Blitz (SRPG by Square), Dicing Knight Period (it's a dungeon crawler), Ganso Jajamaru-kun (remake of a NES platformer with better controls), Namco Super Wars, and Wild Card (card game, obviously).

Sweet Home for the Famicom isn't that obscure, but it's certainly one of the better first horror RPGs out there. But I'm sure if you've probably played enough RPGs, you probably would've heard of it by now.

Wonder-Red in W101's standard A combo is exactly like Viewtiful Joe's

Kamiya...
Boy, I told you that TW101 had more depth than it looks like it does at face value.

Y'know, I thought that game came out last week because they were selling copies of that game at our EB on Tuesday, lol

I'm pretty sure none of the Miner Willy games have ever been officially released outside of the UK. That means Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, which are definitely classics.

edit: Actually, might just be Jet Set Willy.

B.K.

I really want to play Sonic 1, 2, and 3 & Knuckles again. I haven't played them in years. Are they available for Vita?

qq more

I really want to play Sonic 1, 2, and 3 & Knuckles again. I haven't played them in years. Are they available for Vita?

They're available for Wii VC. Avoid the backbone ports on the other systems.

And hopefully we'll get Taxman's ports of Sonic 1 on consoles soon... I mean it'll happen right? Right? Ha...ha.... ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom