• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
They're available for Wii VC. Avoid the backbone ports on the other systems.

And hopefully we'll get Taxman's ports of Sonic 1 on consoles soon... I mean it'll happen right? Right? Ha...ha.... ;_;

tbh, I didn't have any issues with their ports on Xbox 360. They honestly were pretty good. (Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles)

qq more

tbh, I didn't have any issues with their ports on Xbox 360. They honestly were pretty good. (Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles)

I was getting some weird input lag for some reason and wasn't exactly a fan of the lack of NG+ for Sonic 3. It's been a while though, I don't have them anymore since I was just game sharin'

Okay I confess. I'm a bit of a purist .-.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was getting some weird input lag for some reason and wasn't exactly a fan of the lack of NG+ for Sonic 3. It's been a while though, I don't have them anymore since I was just game sharin'

Okay I confess. I'm a bit of a purist .-.

What's NG+? and game sharing? 360 doesn't have game sharing. Do you mean Sonic Genesis Collection for PS3? I'm actually talking about the individual ports on the Xbox Live Arcade. 360 does have Sonic Genesis Collection, but the Sonic releases are two separate things.

Although, I didn't notice any issues on the 360 Sonic Genesis Collection when I still had it.

qq more

What's NG+? and game sharing? 360 doesn't have game sharing. Do you mean Sonic Genesis Collection for PS3? I'm actually talking about the individual ports on the Xbox Live Arcade. 360 does have Sonic Genesis Collection, but the Sonic releases are two separate things.

Although I didn't notice any issues on the 360 Sonic Genesis Collection when I still had it.

Er oops. Forgot to mention I was playing the PSN ports of Sonic, which is apparently different. I completely forgot about the Genesis Collection and was thinking of the individual downloadable versions. My bad, haha.

You all may laugh at me now.

Also NG+ = New Game plus. In the backbone port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (not the emulated version), you cannot select a cleared save. Which means less freedom with Super/Hyper Sonic in any levels you want :( (I haven't played this non-Collection version, it's on the 360, but I went by what I've heard)

Not having SNES games on the 3DS VC is pretty stupid.

The lack of Sega Genesis on the Wii U and 3DS baffles me.

Kokonoe

Banned
Er oops. Forgot to mention I was playing the PSN ports of Sonic, which is apparently different. I completely forgot about the Genesis Collection and was thinking of the individual downloadable versions. My bad, haha.

You all may laugh at me now.

It's okay. Babbies make mistakes.

How about a nice game of Kirby? ;)

Also NG+ = New Game plus. In the backbone port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (not the emulated version), you cannot select a cleared save. Which means less freedom with Super/Hyper Sonic in any levels you want :(

Weird. On XBLA, that one you can have 3 separate save states where you can save anywhere.

qq more

It's okay. Babbies make mistakes.

How about a nice game of Kirby? ;)

b-b-b-but Whispy Woods makes me cry

its 2hard4me

Weird. On XBLA, that one you can have 3 separate save states where you can save anywhere.
Can you still select a cleared save in the non-collection port? I know you can in the Genesis Collection since the games are straight up emulated since they don't use a custom menu.

I'm pretty sure none of the Miner Willy games have ever been officially released outside of the UK. That means Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, which are definitely classics.

edit: Actually, might just be Jet Set Willy.
Y'know, The Games Factory has these graphics for some overhead mining game in a library with the name "Manic Miner". I once made a game where you play as the miner character from that and save the world from a very shittily-drawn Robotnik.

Alas, this game has been lost to time. I almost wish I still had it, for laughs.

But once you beat the final boss, that's it. You do not get the level select, and the ability to go claim the emeralds you missed. You have to start a game anew. It's pretty bullshit.

Can you still select a cleared save in the non-collection port? I know you can in the Genesis Collection since the games are straight up emulated since they don't use a custom menu.
No, AFAIK you cannot.

qq more

That reminds me... Shield uses Android, right? Have you tried out the Sonic 1 Taxman port on that yet? Curious to see if it plays perfectly well.

I'm very surprised that NISA didn't think of bringing Special Report Division since I think it was the NIS 20th Anniversary game? I was interested in that, at least.

They did, and basically said no because their isn't a market for visual novels. This was before the Danganronpa anime was announced, which is the only logical reason I see why they're bringing the Vita version of the first game over in the first place, since anime is pretty much the only thing they care about right now. ...and out of the five 20th Anniversary games, we're only getting two of them.

Kokonoe

Banned
That reminds me... Shield uses Android, right? Have you tried out the Sonic 1 Taxman port on that yet? Curious to see if it plays perfectly well.

I'll test it out. What's awesome about android is what you buy goes to all your android devices on your account.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yep. Controller works with it perfectly default. Actually, all Sonic games on Android work with the controller without having to do anything, including CD.

Now I can finally get out of Marble Zone. (The last act is annoying with touchscreen)

I think I'm somehow too OP in Okami. I just wrecked Lechtu and Nechtu in like less than 2 minutes.

That Gold Dust and those late game swords work wonders.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I really want to play Sonic 1, 2, and 3 & Knuckles again. I haven't played them in years. Are they available for Vita?
Unfortunately not. When I first got my Vita last year, I expressed the same desire, but it hasn't happened. We'll probably get ports eventually, but at the moment, there isn't anything.

They did, and basically said no because their isn't a market for visual novels. This was before the Danganronpa anime was announced, which is the only logical reason I see why they're bringing the Vita version of the first game over in the first place, since anime is pretty much the only thing they care about right now. ...and out of the five 20th Anniversary games, we're only getting two of them.
That's disappointing. The thing is, I've been sitting on importing that game for a while, but I keep thinking that someday, considering they're bringing over Dangan Ronpa, maybe they might bring it over. But if not, I might as well import it. I've heard that it's middle-of-the-road, but who knows?

AniHawk

Well, stuff like Mind = 0, Conception II (which is unfortunate because the first one was a good starting point), Neptunia PP, Meikyuu Cross Blood: Infinity, etc. Anything that seems to not be beloved on at least mk2 (because its reviews are moderated), I'd probably give pause to bringing over. People troll on Amazon in general, so that's not something I'll pay attention to often. Though, I suppose that, yes, since Sei Madou Monogatari seems to be buggy (which could probably be fixed in an update/during localization), laggy, and seems to have odd balancing/dungeon design. Demon Gaze seems to be relatively decent from both GAF members' and mk2 impressions, so that's one I don't mind coming over at all. I was going to import it until I saw that someone was localizing it.

The thing about it is that if you bring over so many mediocre titles at once, it might dilute the genre a bit, and might encourage some sort of mindset where people think the genre's dying when it kind of isn't. A lot of the Idea Factory/Compile Heart games aren't generally well-received in Japan in terms of their game mechanics, for instance. Though on the other hand, Neptunia games post-the first one play rather well despite their appearances and general pandering. And the Atelier games should probably get more credit for their game mechanics than they already are getting.

somehow, tecmo's been releasing the vita atelier games in the us (i say somehow because their us branch is smaller than xseed), but i don't know if they will keep doing that with rorona. it seems that the series is done on consoles, but they already would have a translation for rorona (for the most part). that could be something that comes over. i think any other gust game is going to be a hard sell. i know people were looking forward to ciel nosurge a while ago, but given tk's priorities, i don't see it happening.

i wouldn't be surprised to see more neptune games. even the project diva sort of thing might make it over given that sega did the same thing with the ps3 game (in one of their most baffling moves in recent memory).

Though, you're right. If there's really nothing else to bring over at all and you make your living localizing something or other, I guess you might have to resort bringing less-than-stellar products over. With that said, I'm surprised that given the recent surge in popularity for puzzle/visual novels like 999/VLR, no one's really attempted to go for console/portable releases of 428, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, Xblaze, etc. Though I suppose that genre isn't exactly a huge boon yet, and I suppose Dangan Ronpa sales might factor into them considering to bring more of those types of games here (or raw visual novels sans the puzzles since those cater to particular audiences). I'm very surprised that NISA didn't think of bringing Special Report Division since I think it was the NIS 20th Anniversary game? I was interested in that, at least.

999 was seen as something as an anomaly. kinda like, oh good for aksys! i think aksys was glad they could turn it into a franchise as well. this is despite the success of similar games on the ds, because 999 in particular was m-rated and came out a bit late in the system's life. psp vns never made it here because people worried they would be too japanese, and the very few vns that did release for the machine bombed hard. it's just a lot of work that has to go into translating and editing everything, and it costs a lot of money. dangan ronpa is probably the last best chance at the genre succeeding in the us (despite whatever ace attorney 5 does, i think capcom's done with that series). however, if dangan ronpa is successful- and does numbers around the 50k mark (most nisa/xseed titles sell around the 24k mark), then we'll probably see a lot more for the vita.

Hm. Is Emerald Dragon considered obscure? If you do get that one, get the PCE version. It's one of the better RPGs of that time. The Atlas and Cosmic Fantasy might be worth your time, too.

With respect to the Saturn, Ronde is a pretty... weird... red-headed stepchild of the Majin Tensei games (the TRPG spinoffs of the SMT games). Asuka 120% Burning Festival Limited is a fighting game that doesn't look that amazing, but it's okay. It's basically a three-button fighter. Two buttons are weak/strong attacks, and the move changes based on the direction you're holding. So... it has more depth than you think it might have.

Oh, there's this really obscure adventure game called Hungry Ghosts on the PS2. It's by the guy who did Ghosts n Goblins. Looking around, HG101 has a writeup for it.

There're also a bunch of neat Wonderswan games which I'm trying to get back into. Even if some of them are based heavily on anime, a lot of them are relatively decent. So you do have a bulk of Digimon games, Klonoa: Moonlight Museum, Judgement Silversword (good shmup), Blue Wing Blitz (SRPG by Square), Dicing Knight Period (it's a dungeon crawler), Ganso Jajamaru-kun (remake of a NES platformer with better controls), Namco Super Wars, and Wild Card (card game, obviously).

Sweet Home for the Famicom isn't that obscure, but it's certainly one of the better first horror RPGs out there. But I'm sure if you've probably played enough RPGs, you probably would've heard of it by now.

lol Am I the only one who is not excited for GTAV? GTA Online does sound kind of interesting though.

Ganbare Goemon 2 for the SNES. It is definitely for platformer lovers like us!

:O

I wanna see SNES games on dat shield. They don't look perfect on the Wii U GamePad unfortunately, but they still look pretty nice. (and way better than the blurry NES games, ugh)

And what's Baby Mario doing palling around with a bunch of adults?

I'd say Radiant Silvergun or Pulseman, but that's probably too obvious.

Willy Wombat on the Saturn always looked kinda cool, but I've never played it to assert it as the "best" or anything. It even has English voice acting despite being a Japan-only game! (Although we're talking Deep Fear-level quality here, so it's patently terrible voice-acting. Nevertheless...)

Other than that, JewWario's "You Can Play This!" series highlights several.

Vib Ribbon, obv

thanks for the suggestions, everyone. i'll start taking a look at these.

Actually, now that I think about it, Deep Fear never came to the US, either. Japan, yes (with English voice acting, even). Europe, yes. America, no. I guess America couldn't handle Dubois's voice or Clancy's
secret past
(video of said spoiler).

Tizoc

When's the NVidia Shield releasing in Europe? We use similar electricity concept as Europe over here and I worry getting from US might cause the charger to go kaput >_>;

They're available for Wii VC. Avoid the backbone ports on the other systems.

And hopefully we'll get Taxman's ports of Sonic 1 on consoles soon... I mean it'll happen right? Right? Ha...ha.... ;_;

I can see a possible PC release...

qq more

When's the NVidia Shield releasing in Europe? We use similar electricity concept as Europe over here and I worry getting from US might cause the charger to go kaput >_>;

I can see a possible PC release...

I've checked the site and the Wikipedia page for it. It really looks like it's just for the American audience... But we'll see I guess.

Dr. Buni

Wow, why is everything talking about everything that's NOT Sonic? I guess it's just a slow news period? Lost World comes out in a little over a month.
Lol yeah. First time I am looking at this thread and no one is talking about Sonic and his games. >_>

Anyway, I am still unsure about buying Lost World. I only have a 3DS and while the 3D version looks good, that awful loading in the levels is annoying me a lot.

Psxphile

Wow, why is everything talking about everything that's NOT Sonic? I guess it's just a slow news period? Lost World comes out in a little over a month.

Lol yeah. First time I am looking at this thread and no one is talking about Sonic and his games. >_>

The ol' bait-and-switch. You turn a corner at the crudely-drawn Sonic sign pointing the way, expecting to find the so-called Sonic GAF community and suddenly you're in Little Gaming Side. :p

As long as the thread is clean, then I don't think anyone has anything to complain about.

I think I might do another playthrough of Sonic 3 Complete once I'm done with Kingdom Hearts. It's been too long.

I really want to play Sonic 1, 2, and 3 & Knuckles again. I haven't played them in years. Are they available for Vita?

Sega Mega Drive Collection for PSP has Sonic 1 and 2 on it and works on Vita (though I think you might need to buy and transfer from a PS3 if you're in the US?) so I guess those two are technically available for it.

BHZ Mayor

Anyway, I am still unsure about buying Lost World. I only have a 3DS and while the 3D version looks good, that awful loading in the levels is annoying me a lot.

The ol' bait-and-switch. You turn a corner at the crudely-drawn Sonic sign pointing the way, expecting to find the so-called Sonic GAF community and suddenly you're in Little Gaming Side. :p

Welcome to the thread guys.

what's that

you want more sonic you say

tumblr_mrgn24SDhn1rlrnwdo1_1280.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
*shrug* This is how community threads usually go outside of the PokeGAF one. There just isn't a lot to talk about, and it goes without saying that not a lot of people in this thread are really that enthusiastic about Lost World simply because some are unconvinced about the footage. No one's really had an issue before, so I let it fly. A lot of the threads on both gaming and OT community don't stay on its topic at all, so I never really see an issue. There isn't much to talk about with respect to Sonic outside of events or constant outpouring of media (like was the case with Generations... not so much with Lost World), so yeah.

I mean, we could totally talk about how people are split on the boss footage, but the point of it is probably going to be that people aren't going to talk much about it unless we get a demo or something. Plus there's a thread for that, so most conversation would probably go in those threads.

Think of it as the platformer general thread featuring RPGs. Think of a platformer and one of us would probably be able to help. Think of an RPG and... uh, I'd... probably help.

It also kind of helps that most of us get along off of GAF in general. I don't see a problem with being off-topic at all. We shoot the shit a lot, so... *shrug*

somehow, tecmo's been releasing the vita atelier games in the us (i say somehow because their us branch is smaller than xseed), but i don't know if they will keep doing that with rorona. it seems that the series is done on consoles, but they already would have a translation for rorona (for the most part). that could be something that comes over. i think any other gust game is going to be a hard sell. i know people were looking forward to ciel nosurge a while ago, but given tk's priorities, i don't see it happening.

i wouldn't be surprised to see more neptune games. even the project diva sort of thing might make it over given that sega did the same thing with the ps3 game (in one of their most baffling moves in recent memory).
I wouldn't be surprised to see more of those either, given the merchandising for it in Japan, and I guess they're relatively quasi-popular here in terms of NISA sales, aren't they. I'm not sure about the Neptune PP thing, just because it's... uh... hm. Apparently it might not be that great, or it's a poor man's rhythm game? *shrug*

That's unfortunate about Rorona, though, because it's really really hard to go back to that game. I would've thought those games would've been doing well enough for it to be brought over. I never really thought Ciel no Surge would come over, either.

999 was seen as something as an anomaly. kinda like, oh good for aksys! i think xseed was glad they could turn it into a franchise as well. this is despite the success of similar games on the ds, because 999 in particular was m-rated and came out a bit late in the system's life. psp vns never made it here because people worried they would be too japanese, and the very few vns that did release for the machine bombed hard. it's just a lot of work that has to go into translating and editing everything, and it costs a lot of money. dangan ronpa is probably the last best chance at the genre succeeding in the us (despite whatever ace attorney 5 does, i think capcom's done with that series). however, if dangan ronpa is successful- and does numbers around the 50k mark (most nisa/xseed titles sell around the 24k mark), then we'll probably see a lot more for the vita.
Given the popularity of the Dangan Ronpa SA LP, and the general... well, wait, no wait... the anime is kinda bad. I'm kind of split on how Dangan Ronpa would even perform. It probably would've been better if they'd waited a little more into the Vita lifecycle for that, but I think that's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't due to the position that the platform is in in North America at the moment.

VNs do cost a lot of money to translate. If someone's bringing over an anime here, and it gains some popularity, I wonder if bringing over the VNs tied to that anime might be a good thing.

Wonder what made 999/VLR so different from every other VN, then. Theresia, Lux-Pain, etc, didn't have that much success in comparison, though it's likely due to 1) being at the end of the console cycle, and 2) positive word-of-mouth a year after it was released.

Welcome to SonicGAF, where we rarely talk about Sonic games.

For instance, I've been playing Xenoblade. I love how the Mechon all sound like pirates.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was just saying to qq that it's probably good that we're off-topic sometimes (a lot of the time).

It lets us get along more, and at least allows some people to join in whenever they feel like it since it might involve a topic that they may be more well-versed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom