• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, platform games, like Metal Gear Solid

8a1e0P8.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dammit, Coldman, I'm trying to learn about rocks where I am. :lol :lol

I have this damn smirk on my face and now I can't help but to feel like my prof reminding me of that Professor dude from the second TMNT movie.

Sciz

SonicGAF will happily discuss all things Sonic, but we pretty well burned through all the subjects the thread was actually founded to discuss a while back.

Tizoc

SonicGAF will happily discuss all things Sonic, but we pretty well burned through all the subjects the thread was actually founded to discuss a while back.
Can we get some discussion on how Archie pulled a CoIE/Flashpoint and managed to retcon the Sonic comics continuity?

qq more

I was just saying to qq that it's probably good that we're off-topic sometimes (a lot of the time).

It lets us get along more, and at least allows some people to join in whenever they feel like it since it might involve a topic that they may be more well-versed in.

Yeah, this is true. It really feels like a community, which is why I like it so much here.

Sciz

Can we get some discussion on how Archie pulled a CoIE/Flashpoint and managed to retcon the Sonic comics continuity?

I've been debating on whether or not to go ahead and write that up or hold off and wait for another issue to provide additional context. It's intriguing, and I think it'll be for the best, but everything's up in the air and there're still a lot of unanswered questions to think about.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Probably wait for another issue. Too tired to read anything right now so maybe later. I have both SU and StH to go through since I just picked those up last week.

It would be a nice thing to see everything about that in one place from someone well-versed in the comics, at least. Neither of us even got to do a final writeup for Worlds Collide due to being busy.

Edit: Seeing as how it might happen since I've noticed some back and forth in some of the Sonic Lost World threads, I wonder if I--or anyone else if they feel up to updating the OP--should make a review thread instead of including reviews in the OT. I would do it, but only if people feel like it's necessary. At this point, I do feel it's necessary.

However, I will say that I do have a section for reviews in my outline for the thread already. So I might just include them there anyway.

Oh yeah, that game. I said I'd write something for that OT, didn't I... well, I know what I'm doing tonight.

Well, besides finishing Okami HD. And watching VGCW END GAME 5.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And watching VGCW END GAME 5.
Wait, that's tomorrow night! D:

Might start watching WVGCW since Ayla was added to the roster, and that Samus vs Ayla bout was great. The 6-woman fight the other night was a good match.

On the topic of Sonic, looks like the next arc of Sonic Universe will be taking qeues from Shadow the Hedgehog and we'll have Shadow going against the Black Arms: http://www.tssznews.com/2013/09/16/first-look-sonic-comics-for-winter/

Interesting given how SEGA won't let Archie use Black Doom, but maybe that's going to change due to recent events?
I'm kinda looking forward to that arc, simply for the sake of the references and how Ian's going to spin the whole thing. I wonder if the comics are going to lean more heavily on the games with some liberties here and there now.

Sciz

Interesting given how SEGA won't let Archie use Black Doom, but maybe that's going to change due to recent events?

To dig up Ian's comments on the matter:

Ian Flynn said:
- "Shadow the Hedgehog" has happened. A lot has already happened.
- The Last Story is the single most solidly canon aspect of the game, and that's what I'm working off of. I would very much like to go back and tell the comic's version of the game. There's a lot I want to get back to.
- No Black Doom
- Yes, Black Arms
- Yes, it's a Black Comet

It's been a while since we heard about the Black Arms/Nega ban, so I'd wager that some of that content's been freed up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Speaking of the comics: as expected, Archie's going to be releasing a comic prequel for Sonic Lost World.

Halloween Comic fest 2013: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

It's a Halloween SONIC fest! Just in time for the launch of the newest smash-hit SEGA video game SONIC LOST WORLD (on sale 10/22), comes the OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK PREQUEL available for the first time anywhere for Halloween Comic Fest 2013! Hitch a ride alongside the truest, bluest hedgehog around as this timeless video game icon takes on the newest baddies to burst onto the scene: the DEADLY SIX, and of course the evil Dr. Eggman! Hot off the heels of the titanic, "Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide" summer blockbuster, Sonic comics have never been hotter! Now is your chance to check out the next big thing from the one and only "blue blur"!

Script: Ian Flynn Art: Ryan Jampole, Rick Bryant, Jack Morelli, Dustin Evans

Cover artwork provided by SEGA
Halloween Comic Fest is on Oct 26-27, for those wondering.

Village

^

heh.

To dig up Ian's comments on the matter:

It's been a while since we heard about the Black Arms/Nega ban, so I'd wager that some of that content's been freed up.

That makes sense.

Anyone else thinks black doom in eyeball-star form looks like the aliens from sonic colors.

Also, if sonic ( when) sonic is included in next smash, how do you think they should rep him, stage wise.

Razzer

Well how about some less popular choices that could make interesting stages. Mushroom Hill could change seasons throughout a match, altering the environment. Chemical plant (or any water level) could feature changing water levels that you have to avoid. I'm sure we could imagine some others.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...you know, it'd be nice if you guys listed why you wanted to list what you'd listed. :p

What would it do gameplay-wise? What kind of remix do you want, that sort of thing. Tell me why you feel like the stage would facilitate your gameplay style.

Yep.

Well how about some less popular choices that could make interesting stages. Mushroom Hill could change seasons throughout a match, altering the environment. Chemical plant (or any water level) could feature changing water levels that you have to avoid. I'm sure we could imagine some others.
This post is a good example, for instance.

Razzer

Nah man wild canyon.

" This is knuckles, And I'm Back "

Knuckles will periodically come into the stage and start spouting rap lyrics whilst digging for emeralds. Also gusts of wind blow throughout the stage. It could work haha.

Also I agree with Schala, we need to think of what actually will make the stage cool. For chemical plant an upbeat techno sounding remix that still gives off an intense vibe would be nice.

Dr. Buni

My suggestion for a less popular stage would be any stage from a Master System Sonic game, like Scrap Brain Zone from Sonic 1 or Sky High Zone from Sonic 2. My reasons for wanting those stages is simply because I like their level designs and specially their music themes (Sky High Zone being the exception, the music in Sonic 2 was awful).

qq more

My idea for Death Egg is that you'd have the Death Egg Robot attacking from the background every now and then. Maybe have him break some platforms that will eventually reappear later?

My suggestion for a less popular stage would be any stage from a Master System Sonic game, like Scrap Brain Zone from Sonic 1 or Sky High Zone from Sonic 2. My reasons for wanting those stages is simply because I like their level designs and specially their music themes (Sky High Zone being the exception, the music in Sonic 2 was awful).

YES

They should do this for the 3DS version. Unfortunately, SEGA hates the Game Gear as evident in Sonic Generations. :(

Razzer

If we take scrap brain zone it could be true to the roots of the original stage and be hard to navigate safely with razor-blades and other dangers coming in to keep the players on their toes.

Village

...you know, it'd be nice if you guys listed why you wanted to list what you'd listed. :p

What would it do gameplay-wise? What kind of remix do you want, that sort of thing. Tell me why you feel like the stage would facilitate your gameplay style.

Yep.

This post is a good example, for instance.

Its doesn't really do much gameplay wise, I think the aestetics of the whole thing would be dope though. Eggman occasionally making enemies while you fight really. With a very cool flying through the sky kinda background, occasional turbulence shakes up the level. Sometimes you can see angel island in the background.

Also So it could play this song

Dooooooo

and this song

Sad robots

qq more

There is so much potential for Smash Bros with Sonic in terms of stages

At this point I would seriously welcome another Sonic fighting game that features many stages from past games.

Its doesn't really do much gameplay wise, I think the aestetics of the whole thing would be dope though. Eggman occasionally making enemies while you fight really. With a very cool flying through the sky kinda background, occasional turbulence shakes up the level. Sometimes you can see angel island in the background.

Dooooooo

and this song

Sad robots

That would be pretty cool.

Dr. Buni

They should do this for the 3DS version. Unfortunately, SEGA hates the Game Gear as evident in Sonic Generations. :(

:/ You have no idea of how much I wanted a Sonic 1 stage in Sonic Generations 3DS, since the Master System version of Sonic 1 was the first game I ever played. Sadly, all we got from Sega was their middle fingers. Btw, a Sky Base based stage could be really cool as well:

qq more

:/ You have no idea of how much I wanted a Sonic 1 stage in Sonic Generations 3DS, since the Master System version of Sonic 1 was the first game I ever played. Sadly, all we got from Sega was their middle fingers.

It pissed me off that they literally laughed at the idea of game gear/master system levels. And then tells us that we'll be seeing just the GBA/DS stages because they're focusing on games from "recent memory". Even though the game is about BOTH the past and present, so way to make a terrible excuse... smh, Iizuka. (lol at them lying about the GBA stages entirely)

Last year I had a huge interest in doing a fangame that's basically Sonic Generations in concept but with a focus on the handheld stuff.

I've even made this:
bridgezone.png

one day I will revive this project lol

Also, if sonic ( when) sonic is included in next smash, how do you think they should rep him, stage wise.

Sweet Mountain for the Wii U version. Different look visually to other stages that are likely to be in the game, potential stage hazards in the jelly bean missiles, could maybe do something with a Yellow Wisp drill coming along and altering the terrain as the fight progresses.

Nocturne as the Sonic stage on 3DS
6ToCcyl.png

Razzer

Dooooooo

and this song

Sad robots

Well if you want flying battery to be part of the inspiration then why not have those weird missile things that end up hitting the ship itself be included as occasional falling hazards. And have a fast-paced remix of what you posted in the style of something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgDEPxlt3y4

Nocturne as the Sonic stage on 3DS

In a shock twist the remix turns out to be amazing.

Dr. Buni

Last year I had a huge interest in doing a fangame that's basically Sonic Generations in concept but with a focus on the handheld stuff.

I've even made this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16312377/Portable%20Generations/bridgezone.png[IMG]

one day I will revive this project lol[/QUOTE]
It looks pretty good! I would use it as wallpaper if it was a bit bigger ^^ The colors reminds me of that Sonic After the Sequel fangame. Man, I love Bridge Zone ;_; Except for the Act 2.

Speaking of Sonic 1, how good is that version available in the Nintendo 3DS VC? I am feeling like playing it, but I have no idea where my Master System is.

qq more

It looks pretty good! I would use it as wallpaper if it was a bit bigger ^^ The colors reminds me of that Sonic After the Sequel fangame. Man, I love Bridge Zone ;_; Except for the Act 2.

Speaking of Sonic 1, how good is that version available in the Nintendo 3DS VC?
Thanks! I've even worked on other stages but they are far from finished. I'll post those when I'm finished.

(After The Sequel is amazing :D)

The Master System version of Sonic 1 is generally better due to resolution but Jungle Act 3 is much more bearable in the Game Gear version because it does not have that Kid Icarus-esque vertical camera that kills you so much. Overall I think the Game Gear version is worth checking out if you don't mind the resolution.

In a shock twist the remix turns out to be amazing.

That would be grand :lol

Dr. Buni

The Master System version of Sonic 1 is generally better due to resolution but Jungle Act 3 is much more bearable in the Game Gear version because it does not have that Kid Icarus-esque vertical camera that kills you so much.
So I take the 3DS VC game is based on the Game Gear version? I think I will give it a try.

qq more

So I take the 3DS VC game is based on the Game Gear version? I think I will give it a try.

Yeah. The Sonic games on the 3DS VC are basically lower res ports of the Master System games. (avoid Sonic 2 GG though, one of the bosses is made near impossible thanks to the resolution)

Dr. Buni

Yeah. The Sonic games on the 3DS VC are basically lower res ports of the Master System games. (avoid Sonic 2 GG though, one of the bosses is made near impossible thanks to the resolution)

Nice, thanks. I will buy it and post my impressions here later. :)

Regiruler

So I finally 100% JSRF, including all the graffiti re-spraying. I don't know when I first popped in that game: about 8 years ago? (it wasn't release date I know that for sure).

The immortals/love shockers and roboy/noise tanks were handy for clearing up the post game content. A.KU.MU/Gouji, while looking pretty boss, are only really good in multiplayer.

When I was going back to Fortified Residential Zone to finish up some graffiti, I realized just how creepy that area was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom