• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted in this thread for months but were you guys still merely cautiously excited for Lost World or are we past that point now? Because I had my reservations due to the snappy looking controls but nearly every preview I've read has been glowingly positive so far (or at least says it's better than Generations/Colors, which is good enough praise in my book).
I've got it on pre-order, but the controls still look really twitchy.

...SEGA's becoming more of a PC game company in the West. Crimson Dragon has the benefit of being $20 though, so it's prob. a short game, just wish they'd make more games within that same vein...
Sega has nothing to do with Crimson Dragon. That's purely a Microsoft joint.

Tizoc

I am currently playing Cookie Clicker...
WHY THE FUCK AM I PLAYING COOKIE CLICKER?!

Sega has nothing to do with Crimson Dragon. That's purely a Microsoft joint.

Huh could you please elaborate on that? I just assumed it's a successor to Panzer Dragoon and SEGA were developing it ^^;

Huh could you please elaborate on that? I just assumed it's a successor to Panzer Dragoon and SEGA were developing it ^^;

The lead developer for the Saturn Panzer Dragoon trilogy is producing the game (along with one of the composers for Saga and Orta) but that's pretty much it, as far as Sega ties go. Totally different company altogether.

I believe most of the remaining ex-Team Andromeda/Smilebit staff at Sega that worked on the series have been working on the Mario and Sonic games as of late as a part of Sega Sports R&D.

Tizoc

The lead developer for the Saturn Panzer Dragoon trilogy is producing the game (along with one of the composers for Saga and Orta) but that's pretty much it, as far as Sega ties go. Totally different company altogether.

I believe most of the remaining ex-Team Andromeda/Smilebit staff at Sega that worked on the series have been working on the Mario and Sonic games as of late as a part of Sega Sports R&D.

Oooooh I see thanks for clearing it up.

qq more

Huh, that's pretty interesting.

But um, it's weird it's exclusive to the Xbox One when the console isn't even trying to appeal to Japan...

But... but nothing's as bad as what Konami did. Nothing ever is. And I don't mean the Hudson stuff, either. They're the Metal Gear factory now. :|

Well, at least they're getting pretty good at it

mgs2_by_raziel1992-d6n5cfj.gif

qq more

If it wasn't for Metal Gear, I would not give a shit about Konami. Same deal with Capcom with Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter.

Everything else I care about from those two companies are dead. Fuck them. :(

RIP:
Mega Man
Power Stone
Goemon
Rocket Knight
Bomberman

FYC

Banned
I hope DMC isn't dead. Hell I'll take DmC2. Please Capcpom.

On another note, I beat Super Mario World for the first time ever and can confirm it is one of the best games ever

Tizoc

Eh they'll make a comeback once companies realize they lack the talent for making small $15-20 games and start outsourcing to Indies and giving them free reign over the game development.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got re-acquainted with my Wii U yesterday since I don't wanna get out of bed because I generally feel cold and uncomfortable if I do, so off-TV play + handhelds were my go-to platforms for the past few days.

I spent a while with NSMBU. It's not bad. The coins are really easy to find, but the level design seems kind of neat so far. It apparently gets better.

Even if you can take screenshots and post them to Miiverse, I don't think you can take screens and archive them on your Wii U in some sort of photo app. That's the most disappointing thing so far. You have to post stuff on Miiverse for stuff to be archived, instead of keeping the screens yourself (and you can save two screens at the most for a Miiverse post). There were a few instances where I kinda liked the lighting in some areas, and wanted to save a screen of that but not post on Miiverse, but haha, I need to save it to Miiverse to keep the screen. ...and your NNID account is tied to the screen.

Nintendo, pls.

If I can save screens on my Vita, PC, PS3 (if the game permits me to do so like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Tales of Xillia 2), 3DS (depending on the game, like Animal Crossing: New Leaf), whatever the heck I'm playing, I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a storage solution for screenshots on Wii U so I can share the screenshots elsewhere outside of Miiverse like I can with other platforms. If there is, then this post can be disregarded. But so far, I'm very disappointed that screens are effectively tied to Miiverse. I guess the only way I can remedy that is to record the footage with my capture card and take screens that way, but man, that's a lot of work for just a few screens.

Oh good. Not gonna grab it from HMV JP or Amazon JP, though. Either they ship really late (heard horror stories with HMV), or you have to pay for speedy shipping (Amazon--they ship express no matter what). Gonna wait until it goes up on CD Japan and get it.

Either way, I'm excited.

Eh they'll make a comeback once companies realize they lack the talent for making small $15-20 games and start outsourcing to Indies and giving them free reign over the game development.
I doubt that's going to happen any time soon. Especially in these larger companies' cases. They're very protective of their IPs (as difficult as it is to believe, they are).

I'm sure I'm not the only one that notices Sonic's suspiciously Mario-sounding 'woohoo/yahoo'. Not sure if he's always done that, but it stands among the Galaxy-influenced gameplay.
I'm somehow reminded of all those "woooooos" Sonic voiced whenever something neat happened in Sonic Unleashed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People who dislike Unleashed's soundtrack are people who I don't understand.

You know, thinking about it, I think it's been a while since we've gotten a soundtrack akin to Unleashed's instrumental and compositional ambition in the series. Colours is great, sure, and Generations is fantastic albeit consisting of a lot of remixes. But I'd like to see that sort of ambition for a Sonic soundtrack again.

Going through and reading the interviews and liner notes for Planetary Pieces just makes the compositional side and outlining of the soundtrack so interesting. I wonder if Lost World would even feature that sort of calibre. But I have to keep in mind that Unleashed was a bit of a different game given that much of it is reflective of our world's cultures and types of instrumentation.

I keep wondering if that soundtrack is more of a one-off (ie: we're not going to see that sort of diversity for a while).

Got Dream Team, gonna play that shit on the way to work.
who are you and what have you done with the real beef

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I used to be with Beef, but then they changed what Beef was. Now what I'm with isn't Beef, and what's Beef seems weird and scary to me.

It'll happen to you.

TheOGB

Banned

You know, thinking about it, I think it's been a while since we've gotten a soundtrack akin to Unleashed's instrumental and compositional ambition in the series. Colours is great, sure, and Generations is fantastic albeit consisting of a lot of remixes. But I'd like to see that sort of ambition for a Sonic soundtrack again.

Going through and reading the interviews and liner notes for Planetary Pieces just makes the compositional side and outlining of the soundtrack so interesting. I wonder if Lost World would even feature that sort of calibre. But I have to keep in mind that Unleashed was a bit of a different game given that much of it is reflective of our world's cultures and types of instrumentation.

I keep wondering if that soundtrack is more of a one-off (ie: we're not going to see that sort of diversity for a while).
Getting a soundtrack on the level of Unleashed is reason enough for a sequel.

I got re-acquainted with my Wii U yesterday since I don't wanna get out of bed because I generally feel cold and uncomfortable if I do, so off-TV play + handhelds were my go-to platforms for the past few days.

I spent a while with NSMBU. It's not bad. The coins are really easy to find, but the level design seems kind of neat so far. It apparently gets better.

Even if you can take screenshots and post them to Miiverse, I don't think you can take screens and archive them on your Wii U in some sort of photo app. That's the most disappointing thing so far. You have to post stuff on Miiverse for stuff to be archived, instead of keeping the screens yourself (and you can save two screens at the most for a Miiverse post). There were a few instances where I kinda liked the lighting in some areas, and wanted to save a screen of that but not post on Miiverse, but haha, I need to save it to Miiverse to keep the screen. ...and your NNID account is tied to the screen.

Nintendo, pls.

If I can save screens on my Vita, PC, PS3 (if the game permits me to do so like 3D Dot Game Heroes and Tales of Xillia 2), 3DS (depending on the game, like Animal Crossing: New Leaf), whatever the heck I'm playing, I'm kind of disappointed that there isn't a storage solution for screenshots on Wii U so I can share the screenshots elsewhere outside of Miiverse like I can with other platforms. If there is, then this post can be disregarded. But so far, I'm very disappointed that screens are effectively tied to Miiverse. I guess the only way I can remedy that is to record the footage with my capture card and take screens that way, but man, that's a lot of work for just a few screens.
This was particularly perplexing for Pikmin 3 with it having a pretty robust camera function (so beyond just taking snaps of the screen like all other WiiU titles), every time I wanted to save a picture I was forced to put it up on miiverse with some random statement, why the hell wasn't there a photo album?
Even odder was that shots you chose not to upload to miiverse can turn up on the world map (eg: take a picture in the snow area, next time you go the the level select the screens for said snow area would be of your shots instead of the default ones) so surely they took into account having pictures not tied to miiverse.
So yes it's pretty stupid.

As for the shots saved on miiverse, they aren't trapped on the Wii U as you can log into the miiverse website and get any pics you've taken from there.

Razzer

My experience with the wii u has been mixed so far, I really enjoyed the games I got with it initially, but after I was done with them I didn't touch it for months. When I did boot it back up to try out some sonic racing again I was met with at least 4 hours worth of updates and ended up not playing anything. I don't know whether that has slowed down since (I hope so) but it made me rather negative about the whole thing. Still, Nintendoland is awesome and totally justifies the console imo, it's just a shame that no other games will take advantage of it to that extent, or at least it will be rare.

Kokonoe

Banned
My experience with the wii u has been mixed so far, I really enjoyed the games I got with it initially, but after I was done with them I didn't touch it for months. When I did boot it back up to try out some sonic racing again I was met with at least 4 hours worth of updates and ended up not playing anything. I don't know whether that has slowed down since (I hope so) but it made me rather negative about the whole thing. Still, Nintendoland is awesome and totally justifies the console imo, it's just a shame that no other games will take advantage of it to that extent, or at least it will be rare.

Those who had Wii U at launch suffered the most like myself. It was consistent updates, but that honestly didn't bother me, it was just that they were forced and the download speeds taking hours and hours and hours, even for simple game updates which you couldn't bypass. Unlike PS3 and 360, you couldn't play a game even single player without updating it if it saw there was a patch. You couldn't stop the patch and sometimes the patching would brick your Wii U if by chance you turned off the console, and this wasn't just for the OS patches, but the game patches as well.

I actually was shipped two defective Game Pads which I had to return twice to Nintendo, so this and all the other issues with Wii U at launch despite me being excited for the console at first really just sucked. Especially after Wii.

I also feel Miiverse actually kills the social aspect of the Wii U only because you have to go into it specifically to send a simple message to someone which requires loading screens, and it's totally inefficient. So yeah, they made something where random people can converse easier or draw pictures, but for your friends specifically, it's cumbersome for simple back and forth messaging. Let's not forget how bad the load times were initially on the system before they patched it a few months later. It seems all the people on my friendlist have like abandoned the social aspects of the system and I'm sure that could have been avoided.

I also don't like having to use the Game Pad to access the eShop. You buy a controller without the screen so you can use it comfortably but you still have to pull out the Game Pad to use the shop when simple button clicks could do that just fine. For me, the only thing the console has going for it are Nintendo games and Off TV play, and even then, there aren't that many Nintendo games on it at the current moment and the eShop is severely lacking.

My experience with the Wii U has been non-existant. :> Although I wouldn't mind getting one, someday.

Also, hi guys I am now officially back from my month or so long break from GAF. I was going to wait until tomorrow to post but figured that was just kinda silly. I technically have been back for a week now in the chat, but I wanted to wait one extra week because I could. This past month has been pretty eventful for me, and I for one am glad things have
kinda-sorta
calmed down in my life. One nice thing about taking breaks from browsing on the internet all day is I can catch up on games, although I strangely enough haven't really beaten any. I did finally beat Fire Emblem: Awakening last night, so that's finally done and dusted. I may write some thoughts on the game because I have been playing it for so long, and I have a lot of things I would like to say about it it, but that's for another time.

I also finally started playing Tales of Graces f a while back, after having the game sit unopened on my shelf for a year and half. Haven't played it much recently because I was really focused on beating FE:A, but I have been enjoying it thus far. Currently, however, I just recently started replaying A Link to the Past to get my prepared for ALBW. This is really the only time I can dedicate to the game seeing as how in October I have a list of other games I plan to play to help get into the "Halloween spirit".

So yeah, that's it with me. Glad to be back!

qq more

The Wii U seriously needs more games, a better VC service, more online multiplayer games (especially on the co-op side), account system and did I mention more games?

My experience with Wii U is okay.. they just need to fix all of that. But knowing Nintendo... :/

oh and give us Pokemon Snap 2 or some cool console Pokemon spinoff ffs. Fuck that rumble crap

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I also feel Miiverse actually kills the social aspect of the Wii U only because you have to go into it specifically to send a simple message to someone which requires loading screens, and it's totally inefficient. So yeah, they made something where random people can converse easier or draw pictures, but for your friends specifically, it's cumbersome for simple back and forth messaging. Let's not forget how bad the load times were initially on the system before they patched it a few months later. It seems all the people on my friendlist have like abandoned the social aspects of the system and I'm sure that could have been avoided.

... For me, the only thing the console has going for it are Nintendo games and Off TV play, and even then, there aren't that many Nintendo games on it at the current moment and the eShop is severely lacking.
The load times are still slow to me despite the patches. I don't think you were reading the thread at the time, but I ended up buying a Wii U for $250 on a deal but what I'd gotten was a launch Wii U Deluxe since no one had really bought a Wii U system from that store. That meant I was sitting there for a looooong time trying to patch the entire OS on my system, which is bonkers. I do wish they'd waited a little so they could put everything on there and in the box so I wouldn't have to do that, but well, I think they released the system for Black Friday and I guess they wanted those sales no matter what.

The system really needs software, and I think it needs to push some of its eShop WiiWare equivalent games more for the ddp stuff as opposed to Nintendo's digital downloads (ie: the stuff you can buy disc versions of two weeks later). Granted, there will be software for it in the coming months, but as of now, it's disappointing that it seemed like there was a long drought for launch owners up until now. And even then, some of the games don't seem to appeal to everyone.

Miiverse seems like a neat thing, and it's clearly there for one thing (ie: for members of communities to exchange messages and/or pictures or ask for help from one another a la a regular message board). But like you said, it takes a while to send messages to people you've befriended on the network and you're more than likely going to use it for screencaps or writing random stuff on community boards than anything else. More like a sense of "detached posting" as opposed to fostering a community mentality at this point, I think.

I've already said my piece on the screenshots. When you get them from Miiverse, you get a 800px × 450px JPEG image, so I guess that's the only solution to my issue.

I know you're probably going to agree with me that you wished 3D World had online co-op, too. There are a lot of games that I wished had online co-op, simply for the sake of my friends who I'd like to play games aren't locally available. On that front, I feel like Nintendo dropped the ball. I know lag and other aspects might be an issue, but when a game seems to be focused on multiplayer in a sense, it's disappointing that you're going to neglect one of the larger aspects of a game simply because you aren't in a position where local MP is fostered.

I wish it had folders so I can put the programs that aren't available in my country into one so I don't have to keep looking at them. I tried Hulu Plus yesterday and my Wii U locked up because it didn't realize it wasn't available in Canada.

With that said, I haven't spent a loooong time with my Wii U enough yet to form an accurate opinion of it. I do like off-TV play. I like off-TV play a lot. I don't like that I can't be in another room for it (I've tried it; my Wii U doesn't like it), but for being on my bed or something, it's fine. I like the software I've tried so far, but I feel like I lucked out in that respect since I didn't own the console at launch and waited for impressions from other people as to what to get.

I don't dislike the system, but I do feel like the ball was dropped in some instances, and and improvements are required to unlock the potential of the system in terms of social aspects, its account system, the game selection, and the eShop.

Getting a soundtrack on the level of Unleashed is reason enough for a sequel.
Oh, yeah. Especially for new geographical areas and different types of music. Would've been really neato.

I could've sworn I told you guys I got a 3DS about 2 weeks ago. Well, in case I didn't:

Guys, I got a 3DS. An XL, to be specific.
I still don't think you're the real Beef. The real Beef would have never gotten a 3DS.

So yeah, that's it with me. Glad to be back!
Welcome back. I saw you playing Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot. I suspect that you might not think it's as great as everyone else does like Noi and I think, right?

Welcome back. I saw you playing Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot. I suspect that you might not think it's as great as everyone else does like Noi and I think, right?

Yeah, I played it a lot--I pumped about 70 hours into that game, a lot of it involving grinding for skills to make the perfect units, doing paralogue chapters to obtain the children units, and then even more grinding to make the children units into perfect units. I won't say I didn't enjoy it, but it had a lot of issues.

PKrockin

Such people can't possibly exist. With all the variety, and the amazing jazzy nighttime tracks? No way. Maybe if you judge it solely based on the opening theme and overuse of the night battle theme. For me, the music was the one thing that really made the game worth playing.

Tizoc

Unleashed has some of my fav. Sonic series tracks, the 'Bangkok/Malyasia'-themed stage is one of my favourites in the game.

Maybe it's my OCD, but I'm feeling really 'down' this morning which I attribute to the weak breakfast I had =_=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom