• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fucking shit.

squirtleglasses.jpg

Squirtle don't play no games.

RobbieNick

But seriously, this is a place of peace. Don't bring off-site schoolboy nonsense into here, please?

What? These forums take pot shots at Kotaku everday but I can't express any dislike for TSSZ? My feelings about the website have nothing to do with Sega1991. I respect him a lot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But we've cracked down on talking smack about people in here recently. It's just something that's rather unappreciated.

If you want equalize this to the potshots to Kotaku that Gaming Side takes, then if you'd like, it would be more prudent to make a thread on Gaming Side with respect to the topic that you'd like to discuss. It's simply because a lot of the people who post on those sites post on here and it would probably feel like in-fighting to people who are neutral to the situation.

This isn't the place for that sort of discussion, simply because it acts as a reprieve for the sort of cynicism and constant disagreements that Gaming Side likes to illustrate.

So, please, leave that sort of thing on Gaming Side or in another thread as opposed to here. The Community Threads essentially are supposed to create a feeling of community, as opposed to division.

qq more

eLCNAU4.jpg

Concept art of scrapped stages always seemed pretty cool to me. I kind of wish the level's design (not layout, its actual design) wasn't cut.

For those who don't know, I think this was the level that became Metropolis Zone 3.

BHZ Mayor

But we've cracked down on talking smack about people in here recently. It's just something that's rather unappreciated.

If you want equalize this to the potshots to Kotaku that Gaming Side takes, then if you'd like, it would be more prudent to make a thread on Gaming Side with respect to the topic that you'd like to discuss. It's simply because a lot of the people who post on those sites post on here and it would probably feel like in-fighting to people who are neutral to the situation.

This isn't the place for that sort of discussion, simply because it acts a reprieve for the sort of cynicism and constant disagreements that Gaming Side likes to illustrate.

So, please, leave that sort of thing on Gaming Side or in another thread as opposed to here. The Community Threads essentially are supposed to create a feeling of community, as opposed to division.

Well fucking said. Thank you.

This isn't the place for that sort of discussion, simply because it acts as a reprieve for the sort of cynicism and constant disagreements that Gaming Side likes to illustrate.

Very Well Said.

RobbieNick

I wasn't asking pot shots at anyone, just the website.

However, if that's how you all feel, then I apologize. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone.

Regiruler

I'm surprised it's going to be on Cartoon Network and not Disney or Nick.

I'm mildly pleased as we need more big name brand shows back on it: yugioh leaving was disgraceful.

EDIT: For Sonic Lost World, apparently there's a bonus in-game rc item that you also get with preordering. It seems to be seperate as gamestop prints the code on the receipt according to the item page.
It won't matter though as none of us will use it, and I just want to have it so I can be a collector whore.
EDIT2: Bonus for amazon is 25 extra lives. Ahahaha, amazon confirmed for scrub version.

TheOGB

Banned
I've got a dark confession to make. @_@

I actually don't mind Knuckles having fingers. Who wears boxing gloves all day?
I don't either. I mean, there could've been some comedy in how he does things with boxing gloves on all day, but they can't do that forever so at some point it'd have to be ignored. *shrug*

Holy crap @ Nintendo's reaction to the Pokémon leaks. Pokeymanz be srs buziness, apparently.
Is it the joke one about blowing up Italy and Canada? Because their actual account just has them hyping up #TeamChespin/#TeamFennekin/#TeamFroakie

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, uh, GotY is finally here.

dsc009237nsdy.jpg

This is actually the only community thread I visit that doesn't take potshots at people

except for Beef, of course
The other ones I've been posting in have been relatively nice for the most part. But then again, they don't get a lot of traffic, soooooo. :p

I wasn't asking pot shots at anyone, just the website.

However, if that's how you all feel, then I apologize. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone.
Yeah, no problem. Most of us just like keeping it neutral in here. For the most part, it helps us get along a little better.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #8

Song: Calm After The Storm ...Egg Carrier -The Ocean-
Game: Sonic Adventure
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

One of the series' best water level themes. Shame it's tied to an overworld map that's almost never visited instead of an actual water level, because it's a gem. Throwing ridiculously high grade music into irrelevant corners of the game is just how Sega rolls.

When SA1 isn't busy rocking out, it's all about the horn/piano duos on display here. The energetic opening gives way to a slightly more serene vibe suitable for the ocean at 0:30 when an opera singer pops in out of nowhere and the piano starts doing the light, airy thing with synth backing that Aquarium Park would knock off twelve years later. Or maybe Tokoi's own Planet Wisp would be a better comparison, since you can hear the same note progression at 1:25 here that he used at the end of the similar parts all over his Planet Wisp tracks.

Great stuff from one of the masters. But seriously, where's the water level for it. Lousy limited 1998 tech.
Well, I'm waiting on someone to get back to me, so I have a little bit of time to myself and I feel bad that I haven't been participating in these, but yeah, I'd agree with what you said. And I've recently come to like SA1's soundtrack quite a bit simply for its flowing diversity, especially when compared to SA2.

I've always been surprised that it wasn't relegated to a level, since it was only used for cutscenes, or it wasn't even heard that much in-game. But Sega sometimes does this: they have a lot nice compositions, but you only hear them for a few snippets for a cutscene or a short boss battle when the entire thing is nicely composed, arranged, and performed, but you can only access the full thing in music select or on the soundtrack (which, thankfully, they've started putting up on iTunes for people... but if you're stubborn like me, you'll import the disc version anyway). I mean, that's the same criticism we lobbed towards the Sonic Colours final boss theme: too long, barely heard the good part.

Haha, as usual, I got attracted to the bass. Everyone's talking about the piano interludes and the brass, but the bass is very nice. But I think that's something I've come to expect from Sega's soundtracks now, and it's why I keep coming back to them. If anyone knows how to compose basslines that stand out and don't act as background support, it's usually Falcom or Sega who usually excel at that sort of thing. I've always loved when Sega approached jazz or big band, because they do have the composition staff who do know those genres well enough to excel at creating something incredibly rhythmic and catchy enough for it to be memorable, even if they are backgrounds for cutscenes, like this exemplifies.

Man, I need to cruise around Bandcamp when I have more time to myself. A lot of the dark horse material from last year's SotY came from there, like the Globulous soundtrack.

TheOGB

Banned
*pops in*
But you can totally go back to the Egg Carrier Adventure Field while it's floating in the ocean and that song plays.
*pops out*

*pops back in* Wait a fucking minute
So I streetpassed a guy today and this comes up
r2Uust4l.jpg

And I'm just like, what?

Regiruler

*pops in*
But you can totally go back to the Egg Carrier Adventure Field while it's floating in the ocean and that song plays.
*pops out*

*pops back in* Wait a fucking minute
So I streetpassed a guy today and this comes up
r2Uust4l.jpg

And I'm just like, what?

Just pray that he's saying that ironically.

Regiruler

I forgot to throw this out here earlier, but I forgot to mention that I own Black Knight and Secret Rings, but I haven't played them. My brother picked them up for about 2 dollars each at a consignment sale, so nothing lost.

Should I play them at all? Bear in mind I found the werehog stages (in the wii version which you guys apparently think is worse) as somewhat fun so I have a pretty high tolerance before I go "nope, fuck this".

Darryl

Banned
I forgot to throw this out here earlier, but I forgot to mention that I own Black Knight and Secret Rings, but I haven't played them. My brother picked them up for about 2 dollars each at a consignment sale, so nothing lost.

Should I play them at all? Bear in mind I found the werehog stages (in the wii version which you guys apparently think is worse) as somewhat fun so I have a pretty high tolerance before I go "nope, fuck this".

i got secret rings a long time ago for a few dollars and thought i got some bang for the buck. it's not an amazing game but its still a game. it has some fun hidden in there.

PKrockin

FUCK no.

Black Knight is just bland and boring. Secret Rings is irredeemable trash.

*pops in*
*pops out*
No, it doesn't. I addressed this. It plays the same theme it did when it was in the air.

That song is only used in the cutscene where Gamma returns to it to kill off Zeta and Beta.

Sciz

Well, I'm waiting on someone to get back to me, so I have a little bit of time to myself and I feel bad that I haven't been participating in these, but yeah, I'd agree with what you said.

Ah, 's alright. Figured you'd been busy.

(Though you're welcome to retroactively hit up previous days)

TheOGB

Banned

Do it.

No, it doesn't. I addressed this. It plays the same theme it did when it was in the air.

That song is only used in the cutscene where Gamma returns to it to kill off Zeta and Beta.
Well that's all the confirmation I needed that I was crazy, because I've totally gone there on the old PC version just to listen to that song :T

Congrats TSSZ, your tabloid-like Sonic site finally got ONE rumor right. I guess when a boy cries wolf enough, sometimes there's an actual wolf.....or hedgehog in this case.

We also got Bayonetta 2 + the movie right

Jet Set Radio and SA2 coming to XBLA

Sonic returning in Smash (this one was more obvious, but whatever)

It's really unnecessary to drag the site through the mud like that just because you personally think some of what we post is unbelievable.

I'll say this much: Sega1991's not really the one I take umbrage with on that site, Tristan is. He has a high propensity for running any rumor he comes across on the site, with little consideration for how legitimate it actually is.

Except Tristan doesn't. You should see the shit that comes through our news tip system that we don't post. Tristan usually runs a lot of rumor content by me before it goes up and with the biggest rumors he gets the entire team involved and we try to poke holes and discern whether or not it is worth posting.

If it seems obviously fake (like this, which we got tipped off to multiple times), it doesn't go up. If it seems questionable but still plausible, then it's a rumor, because that's kind of the entire point of a rumor section.

You should note that we didn't bite on the "Sonic Excursion" rumor, despite a number of other sites getting hooked. The only post we made about Sonic Excursion was this, written by myself, and it started out as a tumblr blog that Tristan told me should go up on TSSZ.

I actually don't know what TSSZ is or why SonicRetro/SonicStadium members shit on them constantly

From my vantage point it's always been exactly like this:

TSSZ News relaunched in 2008 after a four or five year hiatus and one of our earliest stories came from Tristan reporting on a policy that went in to effect on Sonic Fangames HQ: one of the mods there, Slingerland (Brad Flick), enacted a policy that made speaking languages besides english a bannable offense.

That's obviously kind of weird. Understandable when 99% of the forum speaks english, but still weird, and Flick's way of wording it sounded kind of questionable so Tristan called him out on it and suggested that it seemed a little racist. This is where The Beef™ started, because Flick was a very connected, charismatic figure in the Sonic community - with fingers in Sonic Stadium, Sonic Retro, and eventually, even Sega themselves (he's listed in the credits for Sonic 4 Episode 2 under "Special Thanks").

Obviously, he did not take kindly to these allegations, and immediately began using his charisma and connections to antagonize Tristan whenever possible. Brad Flick is the kind of person who enjoys being a smug douchebag (he's told me as much himself), and unfortunately for the rest of us, Tristan's the kind of person who refuses to back down from a fight. Sometimes that's great - Tristan can be a very protective person, so for example, he's been very good at standing his ground regarding real actual legal issues we've faced, and he also generally seems to be very protective of the rest of TSSZ staff (read: he treats me like gold, and I have nothing but respect for him).

So, as you can imagine, Flick would poke at Tristan, and Tristan would poke back. Obviously, poking at a dude with a posse is a bad idea, but he kept on doing it, because anything else would be backing down. So you'd get things like Brad Flick ordering 50 pizzas in Tristan's name, and Tristan publicly mocking the fact that Flick moved to California to be an actor and never became much more than a glorified intern. It was like they were in a race to see who could stir the pot harder (a race Tristan still kind of continues to this day, despite the fact Flick has long slipped off in to the shadows).

A side effect of all this is that it poisoned the well for TSSZ in the Sonic community. To anyone who doesn't understand the community beef, there's nothing wrong with our site. But as a result of Brad Flick's connections and Tristan's own never-back-down nature, a lot of people in the Sonic community have come to resent our site. So much so that people from Sonic Retro have actually hacked TSSZ, doing legitimate monetary damage to Tristan himself in the process.

If people knew the Tristan I know, they'd think a lot differently of him. He's a lot smarter and has a lot more integrity than people give him credit for. He's taught me a lot.

Like, in some way, it's kind of okay that people hate us. That means we're doing our jobs telling the stories that some would rather sweep under the rug. I'm proud of TSSZ for doing that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...and now that Blaze has said his piece since I'd anticipated that he would, I'd politely request that either the topic get dropped, or that whomever would like to continue the conversation with respect to that topic be addressed in PMs between yourselves.

Ah, 's alright. Figured you'd been busy.

(Though you're welcome to retroactively hit up previous days)
Yeah, I'll probably do that when I'm free on the weekend. I was thinking of doing that, haha. I have fun writing stuff about this kinda stuff.

------

And I'm going to go off on a tangent about Sen no Kiseki, since some people said they'd wanted to know about stuff.

THIS GAME IS GOTY. I'VE ONLY FINISHED THE PROLOGUE. (Nah, just kidding, but I'm having a good time with it so far.)

On a serious note, though, this is essentially what I'd wanted out of a modern RPG. All of the NPCs have their own story to tell, much like other Kiseki games. The battle themes kick ass. The battles are so much quicker because they removed the grid so it's much easier to position yourself for an attack. Tactics Link is super-killer, too, and not only is it a way to easily get rid of enemies quicker, but it's a way to strengthen the sort of camaraderie that the game seems to be going for. The members of Class VII seem to be an interesting bunch, with Fie, Laura, and Jusis (I have no idea why they romanized ユーシス as "Jusis" instead of "Eusis"... heck I see some people calling him "Yushis") being my faves so far. I'm not going to deny it: I'm somewhat reminded of Class Zero from Type-0, but having not played the game in full and only experiencing both Type-0 demos, I can't draw a full comparison.

So far, the game feels more like a cross between Kiseki and Persona. You answer questions in class, you choose a club, you have to strengthen bonds with your characters, there's a calendar system, etc. It's kind of an interesting change of pace, since Falcom typically doesn't go into this kind of stuff, but the Kiseki games have opened the doors for this sort of game design since they're dramatically different from other LoH games / Ys games / other Falcom games in general, really. Even Zwei!!

If this game comes out here, start on Hard difficulty if you're planning on getting the platinum. You need to play through the game twice since I think Nightmare doesn't open up until you have clear data? There's also a "play 100+ hours" trophy. There's also a "I caught all the fish" trophy. Sheesh, this is as bad as Zero's in some spots (since Zero's trophy list is basically "please 100% the game").

The bad thing about it is the absolutely abysmal loading times. And Alisa so far. I kind of suspected her character was the way it is simply based on videos and her character description, but I don't really like those characters much. I heard she gets better, but ehhhh...

I just... I'm actually pretty happy with the game so far. It's legitimately what I've wanted out of a current gen RPG, and only a handful of RPGs have done this this/last generation for me (ex: Tales of Graces, Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Arc Rise Fantasia, Infinite Space, etc.). God, it's been a while since I've played a Japanese game and I've enjoyed it all the way up to the end, soooo let's see how this goes. And here I was, contemplating on importing Symphonia HD or Lightning Returns, haha. I should just get the JP 3DS + BD:FtS + Fantasy Life and be done with it.

Yeah, I was supposed to go to bed an hour ago, but I just couldn't put this down until I finished the prologue. I took screens.

Oh, did I mention the music was great? The music's great. Battle 1 is a nice change of pace from the slower Kiseki battle themes, even if 3rd's battle theme is my favourite.

The OP needs work, but I've said that about Ys Celceta's when I played it last year. I can't stand the lack of animation at all.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #9

Song: Competition Menu
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Composer: Uncertain; believed to be one of Michael Jackson and crew's pieces

Speaking of wildly overproduced filler music, what's a groove like this doing tucked away in the 2-player menu? It isn't hard to buy this as being a Jackson track; the bassline is straight out of the peak of his career, and the lead isn't sophisticated enough to be a real melody, but seems more like the harmony to a soft vocal line that's all too easy to imagine, like a more laid back version of the lyrics to Jam. A shame this never got turned into a full song the way the credits theme did. Or that the 2P mode wasn't better so we'd have more of an excuse to hear this one.

I can get behind this theme and I don't even recall it (only got to use the mode like once).
I don't really have anything to add, I'm in agreement with Sciz's points.
I'll add two other things, that sound is pure Mega Drive and it's quite clearly funky stuff.

Coming to think of it what does the Sonic 3 credits have to say about the sound team? something vague? skipped over entirely?

Some of the best tracks in Sonic 3 are tucked away in the throwaway two-player/time trial modes that 90% of players will never see.

This also gives me an excuse to pledge my undying love for the Sonic 3 credits theme(which is totally Stranger in Moscow), and maybe the biggest improvement of Sonic 3 Complete is restoring that to its natural order alongside the S&K medley.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #9

Song: Competition Menu
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Composer: Uncertain; believed to be one of Michael Jackson and crew's pieces

Well, having just listened to Jam again, I can see where you are coming from. However, this seems like less of a dance track than some of the other pieces that Michael did, and that other Sonic 3 songs could become. I imagine people in a room just chilling and bobbing to the beat, which fits a menu really well. Hell, imagine this as the tune playing in a waiting room where a bunch of athletes stay before a meet. If you think of it like that it's perfect as a competition menu theme! As for the piece itself, the beats are on a pretty good loop, and the small melody that is there is atmospheric. I'd like to see a remastering of this actually, as I can see lots of different instrument combos working with this.

Sciz

Coming to think of it what does the Sonic 3 credits have to say about the sound team? something vague? skipped over entirely?

They look like this:

Music Composers
Brad Buxer, Bobby Brooks, Darryl Ross, Geoff Grace, Doug Grigsby III, Scirocco

Sega Sound Team
Tokuhiko Uwabo (Bo), Sachio Ogawa, Yoshiaki Kashima (Milpo), Masaru Setsumaru, Tatsuyuki Maeda, Tomonori Sawada, Masayuki Nagao, Jun Senoue

And this is why we can't figure out exact credits for Sonic 3 worth beans. The composers are all affiliated with MJ, and the Sega staff are a mix of composers, arrangers, sound effect guys, and sound programmers.

S&K replaced the Jackson crew credit with just Drossin, but we know all he wrote were the new jingles.

What is up with video games and "darker, edgier" sequels?

Jak 2
Prince of Pesia Warrior Withing
Dragon Age 2

and so on.

Stop that shit video games.

Also, I just finished Suikoden I on emulator and just started Suikoden II.

Wow look at all this animation. And the environments have depth now. It's so fancy.

But is Suikoden II darker and edgier?

Motwera

Banned
I know this is offtopic but..
Whom should I ask about making a Crash bandicoot community thread, that is not about always about bashing the newer games, or about bashing Activision or such thing?

I don't want to interrupt anybody or anger somebody just because I would make such thread in the community section of Games..

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whom should I ask about making a Crash bandicoot community thread, that is not about always about bashing the newer games, or about bashing Activision or such thing?

I don't want to interrupt anybody or anger somebody just because I would make such thread in the community section of Games..
Well, if you'd like to make it yourself, you'll have to wait until you get Member status and are able to post threads.

In terms of starting a Community Thread, you may post your thread on Gaming so it could get exposure. They usually stay on Gaming and then get moved over to Community after one week of exposure. However, you may inevitably get some people who would perhaps partake in the behaviour that you've described, but (but but but) when the thread is moved over to Community, that sort of behaviour seems to be phased out simply because not a lot of people seem to click on the Community tab.

So long story short:
- Wait until you get member status to be able to create threads, or if anyone else in here gets the idea to make a Crash Community Thread, they may and then the thread would be made for you to discuss the games
- Post your community thread in Gaming Side first so it could get exposure for a week
...and that's pretty much it. Mods will move the thread to Community after a certain period of time.

Typically to get member status, you must have had your account for three months post joining (so your join date was Sept 8, 2013, so Dec 8, 2013 would perhaps be the earliest unless you make a ton of posts prior to that date from what it seems for some recent members), and you also need 300 posts.

Edit: If you're concerned about making a faux-pas, you could also go into the OT |OT| thread, and check to see if anyone's planned on making one. But usually if there's no community thread for something, people just haven't been up to making one. Community threads aren't typically "claimed" like OTs are.

TheOGB

Banned

*raises hand* I'd be down for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom