• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep reaching for that rainbow, Rock. You'll get there some day little buddy.

idH1LIS.jpg

He's totally going back on the trash heap after Smash Bros., isn't he ._.

Tizoc

Keep reaching for that rainbow, Rock. You'll get there some day little buddy.

idH1LIS.jpg

He's totally going back on the trash heap after Smash Bros., isn't he ._.

Nah with Mighty #9 releasing in 2015, they might make an iOS game or $15 Digital game on Steam, PSN and XBL by Wayforward.

...but really just enjoy the moment, stop being negative, and give the middle finger to your diet~

Damn, they put Mighty #9 in Smash Bros, huh? Inafune really took all that criticism he made of the japanese game industry being backwards-thinking and behind the time to heart, creating a character and a game that doesn't look anything like a 25-year old/50+ game franchise mascot!

So for months now I've been trying to find somebody who took footage of that Trotcon panel where the dude mentioned writing for Sonic Boom and I've come up with dead end after dead end. It was sort of becoming my white whale, because there were assholes out there who hate our site and were totally "ololololo are you making up shit again????" and I wanted to rub their noses in it

A month and a half ago I found somebody who recorded it and said he would post it in "a couple days". Obviously that was six weeks ago and nothing has come of it (I contacted him again a week ago and he said he was busy with school work)

The feeling of being so close to proving my point and having the rug yanked out from under me is indescribable

Sciz

Those silhouettes are, uh, something.

There's gotta be some catch. I can't begin to imagine Sega signing off on character designs like that.

Anyway...

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #8

Song: Calm After The Storm ...Egg Carrier -The Ocean-
Game: Sonic Adventure
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

One of the series' best water level themes. Shame it's tied to an overworld map that's almost never visited instead of an actual water level, because it's a gem. Throwing ridiculously high grade music into irrelevant corners of the game is just how Sega rolls.

When SA1 isn't busy rocking out, it's all about the horn/piano duos on display here. The energetic opening gives way to a slightly more serene vibe suitable for the ocean at 0:30 when an opera singer pops in out of nowhere and the piano starts doing the light, airy thing with synth backing that Aquarium Park would knock off twelve years later. Or maybe Tokoi's own Planet Wisp would be a better comparison, since you can hear the same note progression at 1:25 here that he used at the end of the similar parts all over his Planet Wisp tracks.

Great stuff from one of the masters. But seriously, where's the water level for it. Lousy limited 1998 tech.

Regarding the song of the day, I never really liked that theme, the early part makes me think of a cheap family cruise holiday, it gets better with the piano focused section but no it doesn't do a lot for me.
And despite the fact the Egg Cruiser is floating on the ocean at this point it still don't find it to fit the scene.

And my prediction for that Sonic Boom things is that it's prehistoric for no good reason (how else can we explain deformed hulking Knuckles and shaggier spined Sonic?), yabba dabba do!

Sonic Lost World, it's a blast from the past
In Sonic Lost World, you hold a trigger to move fast

Except that I was supposed to be talking about Sonic Boom and not Lost World but whatever, man that SMW show was pretty awful stuff (fucking Oogtar) and Yoshi looks flat out bizarre in there, maybe the Boom designs took inspiration from our dino friend as well.

You can't fool me JC, you've had like little hype for that game so your extra week is in fact extra weak!

Though this is actually news to me, you have seven days of which to grossly exaggerate your enjoyment of the product to me for your revengeance, alas it all means little in the end seeing that the real deal was booted out to reign over 2014 instead, i'm still shook.

Razzer

Awww yeah, dat Jazzy feel. This kinda stuff is why I love the SA1 soundtrack so much. Compared to music from... well any series really, this has a very unique feel to it. I think the intro was made like it is to impress you when Gamma and Amy get onto the crashed Egg Carrier in their stories, the rest of the song just does it's own groovy thing, and that's alright by me. It seems to be a theme with Tokoi that he lets the pianist just show-off their skills, honestly it sounds like it could be a good piece of improv with all the mechanical skill on display. Whilst the choice of instruments maybe doesn't fit the ocean all that well, I think it reflects the splendour of the ship quite well. The boss music from the fight with Beta is similarly done, so I guess it was the technology theme that inspired this. I'll agree with Nocturnowl that it seems cruise-linerey, but I like it anyway.

I'm surprised it's going to be on Cartoon Network and not Disney or Nick.
I'm more surprised it isn't The Hub, considering it has some people from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic working on it.

Then again, if it's only that one writer (Dave Polsky), I suppose it's not as surprising.

One of the series' best water level themes. Shame it's tied to an overworld map that's almost never visited instead of an actual water level, because it's a gem. Throwing ridiculously high grade music into irrelevant corners of the game is just how Sega rolls.
Not even that much, as I recall. It's tied to a single cutscene. It plays for the cutscene that shows Gamma arriving there to take on Zeta and Beta. After that, and for all other characters, it just uses the bog-standard Egg Carrier theme (exempli gratia).

It always had a bit of an air of mystery to me, considering it was barely used in the game proper - like they meant to implement it into the crashed Egg Carrier, but changed their minds at the last minute. However, thinking about it, if this had been implemented for that purpose, I think I'd end up missing the Egg Carrier theme that is used a bit more, since the time it's up in the air is a lot briefer than the time it's on the ocean surface; the former is only until the plot mandates it crashes, while the latter is for however long you decide to keep playing that save to 100% completion, until you decide to start a new game entirely.

Other than that, it doesn't really fit the Egg Carrier, anyway, since it sounds like the theme for a tropical resort, and the Egg Carrier... really isn't. Even if it has a swimming pool. Hell, it'd fit the hotel outside Emerald Coast better than the Egg Carrier.

It's also a bit loud... I couldn't tell a co-worker was trying to talk to me because of all those horns blaring. I dunno.

You just don't appreciate the majesty of Jak 2's brave and daring decisions to cast aside the shackles of mere platforming and aspire to be something more.

RobbieNick

Best possible outcome

Not any more. Disney has the incedibly popular Phinias and Ferb, Gravity Falls (which is hilarious), Wander over Yonder and HAD two great action series in Avengers EMH and Tron: Uprising. disney's been doing a lot better in the cartoon circuit.

Going by the shillouette's alone, Tails and Amy look normal, Sonic looks like Crash Bandicoot with a vest on and Knuckles looks like Thrash the Tasmanian Devil from the comics.

qnSP2eH.jpg

Congrats TSSZ, your tabloid-like Sonic site finally got ONE rumor right. I guess when a boy cries wolf enough, sometimes there's an actual wolf.....or hedgehog in this case.

TheOGB

Banned
CN's got Adventure Time and Regular Show, plus Gumball, Total Drama, Dreamworks' Dragons, and The Looney Toons Show. Even Teen Titans GO!, which is totally not what I or many others were hoping for, is pretty good more often than not. It's like a better, DC-only version of MAD. And I'm pretty sure Ben 10 still comes on, and that's still holding up, from what I hear. In fact of all of CN's new big shows, the only duds are Uncle Grandpa, Annoying Orange (ugghhhhhh), MAD and Lego Chima.

Now this may be just me, but quality of the shows aside, Sonic's too cool for Disney (Pac-Man ruined their cred) and Nick is... Nick (TMNT and Korra are too cool for Nick, but they need something so it's alright).

And shots fired point blank at Sega1991, goddamn

Congrats TSSZ, your tabloid-like Sonic site finally got ONE rumor right. I guess when a boy cries wolf enough, sometimes there's an actual wolf.....or hedgehog in this case.

yes0zs2c.gif

But seriously, this is a place of peace. Don't bring off-site schoolboy nonsense into here, please?

OMG Aero

iwPnsc91aSB0u.gif

I actually don't know what TSSZ is or why SonicRetro/SonicStadium members shit on them constantly

iwPnsc91aSB0u.gif

I actually don't know what TSSZ is or why SonicRetro/SonicStadium members shit on them constantly
I'll say this much: Sega1991's not really the one I take umbrage with on that site, Tristan is. He has a high propensity for running any rumor he comes across on the site, with little consideration for how legitimate it actually is.

I recall mentioning this on GAF before, but there was this one time where a bunch of fangame-makers (none I can name specifically, I'm afraid), knowing Tristan was in the same chatroom as them, started joking about pooling all their efforts together and making one large fangame instead of all of their individual ones. They jested about features this supposed game would have, larger-than-life things IIRC that should've made it obvious it was a joke. Within the hour, TSSZNews had an article on it taking it at face value.

However, while that tale probably has some mistruths to it, I definitely recall him reporting on the drama over at Retro around the time Tweaker got into some deep shit and wound up getting banned, which earned him no friends. Sometimes it's best not to air a community's dirty laundry out where everyone can see it, y'know?

Guess Who

Banned
However, while that tale probably has some mistruths to it, I definitely recall him reporting on the drama over at Retro around the time Tweaker got into some deep shit and wound up getting banned, which earned him no friends. Sometimes it's best not to air a community's dirty laundry out where everyone can see it, y'know?

Oh man, don't even get me started on that shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We have people from TSS, TSSZ, Retro, etc. in here, and I really don't want to start that in here. Especially with the cheap shots.

Lighten up. Almost want to say cut the discussion since a lot of the people in here are on neutral ground with respect to that sort of thing, but clearly no one listens to me, so...

Edit: No, you know what? Cut it out. There has never been any sort of arguing in this thread, and you know how I feel when people shit on others who can't defend themselves in here. Others feel similarly. So, keep this place neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom