• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

So if you fuck up, you're always gonna be that guy on NeoGAF who screwed up AA5's Official Thread. Forever.

No pressure tho
This is a very real possibility. Or I can just blame some of it on Beef since he made the AA Community Thread
Dream Team finished.

Hm.

I... sigh.

If you need help with formatting, you know who to call.
Thanks, as the date draws near I'll give further consideration.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm really disappointed with how Dream Team ended up being at the halfway point. Backtracking, obvious bloat, bosses with clearly too much HP and thus it takes longer than it should, nicely designed dungeons but they are way too long and repetitive at times, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I dislike it when games waste my time as a player. The entire second half of Dream Team ended up doing it to the point of irritation. The final boss kind of illustrated that to me. Hell, the final dungeon sort of illustrated that to me. It was poorly paced, and I'm pretty disappointed with that. They had something decent going on, and it seemed to have fallen apart around Mt. Pajamaja, actually. Maybe a little bit by Dreamwood Shore, but when you had to backtrack to every area starting with Mt. Pajamaja, that's when it became a bit of a slog.

However, the tutorials in Dream Team are fine. I didn't see an issue with any of them because I don't feel like they hinder me in the slightest.

If someone prodded me to give it a numerical score because you guys know I don't do that at all, I'd give it a 7. There's certainly still some good in there, but it's just kind of disappointing how it ended up being.

qq more

oh, another rpg with stupid bloat that shouldn't exist?

i'll skip it since I was really on the fence about it

tired of buying rpgs i'll never finished

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still say buy it if you can get it at a discount. Like I said, there is still certainly some good in there. Spritework is excellent, one of the better soundtracks in the series, animations are great, background design is very nice, dungeon design is very good, NPC conversations are great, localization is excellent.

there's at least 15 hours in that game that could be easily cut out and no one would miss them
For serious. Game should've been finished 15 hours ago.

oh, another rpg with stupid bloat that shouldn't exist?

i'll skip it since I was really on the fence about it

tired of buying rpgs i'll never finished

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Shame, since it certainly seems and from what I played of the demo, feels) like a fun game, but I've become less and less tolerant of padding as of late.

qq more

I hate padding. Especially when it's hours long. There's a reason why I went from loving to disliking Tales of the Abyss.

that fucking game man

I like Tales of the Abyss a lot, actually, but it has some of the worst (maybe even the absolute worst, actually) pacing I've ever experienced in a game. Even when you get the ability to quick travel, it's still monotonous as hell. That's not even including some of the ridiculous sidequests that require the player to backtrack to obscure, out of the way locations at the most inopportune fucking times because missing out on that sidequest blocks you from initiating this other sidequest that'll stop you from getting that one special item/skill/whatever. Man, what they fuck were they thinking?

(Wow, that doesn't really read like the opinion of someone that actually likes the game for the most part, haha.)

Good thing I liked everything else as much as I did, or else my opinion of the game would be way lower.

Noi

15 hours of backtracking? Pfft, Project X Zone laughs at your puny amount of rehash.

Don't play project x zone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I've become far less tolerant of what obviously seems like padding for the sake of providing more content as well (without it being entirely meaningful and a true extension of the narrative or something that makes it truly worthy of being part of the game). It's perhaps because I do have other things to play in the meantime, but on the other hand, if I do start playing a game and it happens to be lengthy but it doesn't seem to have a ton of padding for the sake of it, then I'm fine with it.

But this was just tiring.

I hate padding. Especially when it's hours long. There's a reason why I went from loving to disliking Tales of the Abyss.

that fucking game man
So almost every Tales game, then. Most of them have that Direct-to-DVD final act. :p

(You all know how I feel about Abyss.)

15 hours of backtracking? Pfft, Project X Zone laughs at your puny amount of rehash.

Don't play project x zone.
Ew, Project X Zone. :(

Banpresto, pls.

It's pretty much 50-60 hours of filler with a cheap coating of fanservice on top. It was cool for the first 10 or so hours, but shit got really repetitive, really quick. Only reason I ended up beating it is because I often have a long ass commute to work and had nothing better to do.

Shit, even the soundtrack CD underwhelmed me. Resold the LE as soon as I finished that shit.

I'm trying to decide if Xenoblade is full of filler or not.

I mean, yeah, most of these sidequests are technically garbage fetch quests, but I'm still having a lot of fun doing them (well, some of them) even though they're really not mandatory. And I've been playing for nearly 40 hours now (just reached Eryth Sea). And the game's apparently 80-100 long.

AniHawk

today it was my birthday, and a very good one. but as nice as it was to get stuff, i do find myself missing family more than anything. makes me more nostalgic for the time we spent together growing up [/facebook] [/livejournal]

TheOGB

Banned
Happy birthday Anihawk! Hope you got to/will get to do something fun and enjoyable for yourself.

I still don't know what the hell I want to do for my birthday in... 10 days? 9 days? What day is today? :p
Oh, still Thursday for another half hour.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't wait to turn 26 in exactly half a year
It feels like April and our birthdays were just yesterday, though! I can't believe it's October already.

I'm at 43 hours in Dream Team.

And I'm still not at Bowser's Flying Castle yet.
Hahaha, you're as slow as Bean is. I finished the game with 39 hours on the clock and I think he's clocked more hours than you, Beef. He's in Bowser's Castle now.

today it was my birthday, and a very good one. but as nice as it was to get stuff, i do find myself missing family more than anything. makes me more nostalgic for the time we spent together growing up [/facebook] [/livejournal]
Happy birthday, AniHawk! :D

I think I'd feel the same way if I were away from my family. I'm pretty close to them, so I'd probably feel kinda lonely. But I hope you're doing well, AniHawk. I hope you've had a good birthday.

Oh, right. We post the bad cake for this occasion too.

81kptBj.jpg

AniHawk

Happy birthday Anihawk! Hope you got to/will get to do something fun and enjoyable for yourself.

I still don't know what the hell I want to do for my birthday in... 10 days? 9 days? What day is today? :p
Oh, still Thursday for another half hour.

Happy Birthday!

It feels like April and our birthdays were just yesterday, though! I can't believe it's October already.

Hahaha, you're as slow as Bean is. I finished the game with 39 hours on the clock and I think he's clocked more hours than you, Beef. He's in Bowser's Castle now.

Happy birthday, AniHawk! :D

I think I'd feel the same way if I were away from my family. I'm pretty close to them, so I'd probably feel kinda lonely. But I hope you're doing well, AniHawk. I hope you've had a good birthday.

Oh, right. We post the bad cake for this occasion too.

thanks all. i see my family pretty frequently and they drove the (relatively short) 40 mile distance today so we could celebrate after work (they aren't retired yet). of course people at work were having fun and being cool with it too. it's honestly one of the best birthdays i've had in my 20s (and there's only one more after this one so that's saying something). i just start thinking about the time that's passed and where i was about ten years ago compared to now. not just in terms of where my future was, but who i was. and truth be told, i'll probably be nostalgic in my late 30s looking back on now at how young and naive i was, wondering how i ever got there from here, so it's best to just try and enjoy things for how they are and appreciate what i have while it's here.

You all mocked me, they said "screw Nocturnowl" and such remarks, know that I take twisted perverse joy in watching peoples will being chipped away by Dream Team's slumber of slog until they're left bedridden by the bloat after such words.
Crumbs it was worse for the rest of you, I wrapped that up in 30 hours, to think some of you breached 10 hours further.

Oh and on a more jolly note, happy belated birthday Anihawk as i'm sure my timezone makes me late.

Hope you had a good birthday, AniHawk.

I'm 21 in a month's time, and I still have no idea what I want or what I want to do for it. Birthdays are hard, I welcome my 22nd to be honest.

Razzer

Happy birthday Anihawk! A little late but Brits gotta sleep too y'know. Also to Schala, I gather you haven't played blue dragon yet? If so you should, the lack of filler will be refreshing I think. It isn't the best game by any means but it doesn't waste your time at all really.

Happy Birthday to Anihawk!

I like Tales of the Abyss a lot, actually, but it has some of the worst (maybe even the absolute worst, actually) pacing I've ever experienced in a game. Even when you get the ability to quick travel, it's still monotonous as hell. That's not even including some of the ridiculous sidequests that require the player to backtrack to obscure, out of the way locations at the most inopportune fucking times because missing out on that sidequest blocks you from initiating this other sidequest that'll stop you from getting that one special item/skill/whatever. Man, what they fuck were they thinking?
Yeeeaaaaahhhhhhhh, doesn't help that the game felt like it should have ended
way sooner than when it really did
. I do enjoy the game quite a lot as well, though.

BlackJace

Happy Birthday AniHawk.

And yes Coldman, their models are spot on for Smash 4.

To think I was actually down on the game's looks at first.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #10

Song: Quartz Quadrant Good Future
Game: Sonic CD US
Composer: Spencer Nilsen

Then again, this is the company that didn't mind replacing entire soundtracks if they felt like it.

Sonic CD's good future tracks don't get a lot of play time, and Spencer Nilsen's versions even less. He didn't write catchy music often, but the man could build an atmosphere in seconds, whether he was scoring the bottom of the sea or in this case, a futuristic crystal kingdom. The main melody carries a lot of force for being played on a chime, and 0:48-1:03 is downright ethereal.

Just a damn well produced track from start to finish, even if it isn't one of my favorites.

Tizoc

Pop Fiction's latest episode is about Michael Jackson's music in Sonic 3

Oh and I read Sonic #253, good issue
OK so the world got altered by Eggman's last ditch during the crossover, and it seems that in the new reality his armada/army is just called the Egg Army. Furthermore, based off one of his non-roboticized lackies, his Roboticization tech was stopped, only for him to bring it back again.

Sonic and Tails meet up with Big who then leads them to find Rotor who is now more muscular, I rather like this design, but would like for him to wear his hat.
Speaking of which...Rotor looks...familiar like I've seen a silhouette of his build somewhere...
Rotor was working on Tails's Sky Patrol (that's what it's called!) but was attacked by Eggman's goons, and a Silver Sonic!
Could Big really spin dash? I always assumed he just fish...
Anyway Sonic and Tails have Rotor hold Nicole's handheld and he gets back his memories of the other reality, before the issue ends with Eggman on his way to Avalon to meet with 'Lord Hood', I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's become a villain now in this reality. Eggman remarks he's discovered something else about the new reality but then the issue ends
There's also a line from Sonic where he sarcastically remarks that he's 'gotta go fast'.

Razzer

I haven't heard this before, and my initial impression is short but sweet. It is a little faster than one might expect, probably due to this being a sonic game, but I can definitely imagine an rpg having a location like this with this song playing. Perhaps extended a bit to be less grating after spending a lot of time in the place. However the length is fine in a platformer stage you may not even get to. The melody is simple and the choice of instruments makes the piece quite flexible I think. It can be enjoyed as a more atmospheric, ethereal track, or more dancy thanks to the beat. A good track.

On a side note, I really would like to see all the old sonic tunes remixed with live instruments, preferably by established composers, in order to fit entirely new genres of game. Imagine David Wise getting his hands on this for example.

It would also be the loneliest thread.
Oh that's harsh, but also true.

Well this is all I could find for an appropriate cake for our good friend AniHawk.
These would work better as small cakes strewn across a house.

US Quartz Quadrant is always going to have a hard time with me since the JPN/EU version is my favourite across both soundtracks. Actually I don't think i've ever heard this one until now, it's quite different from the standard US stage theme and it's not bad either. I quite like the airy vocal part, for a song indicating a good future it fits the bill very well with it's somewhat futuristic sounds and blissful vibes.

But the other version is still much better for me.

Timely!
I'll check this out later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom