• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #14

Song: Mario Circuit
Game: Mario & Sonic at the Lon-

-wait a second. Get out of here, Mario, this isn't your show. *next track*
Woah, this is a damn good remix, preferable to the original version (though I sort of miss my whistling).
Very Jazzy, the new section after the usual loop is great and includes that Organ sound I love so much.
You were right to sneak this one in.

Song: Central City
Game: Sonic Chronicles - The Dark Brotherhood
Composer: Tatsuyuki Maeda
"Arrangement": Steve Sim

...well *fine*, be that way. VLC's being a jerk today and won't give me anything I'd rather post on short notice, so take your pick, SonicGAF: red or blue?
From a great remix that arguably improves on the original to an awful one that's worse in every way.
What is there to say about the soundtrack to Dark Brotherhood, it's Sonic GAF's running joke for a damn good reason. It manages to get even worse as it progresses before falling to complete shit as it nears the looping point. Truly fascinating.

Razzer

Song: Mario Circuit
Game: Mario & Sonic at the Lon-

Song: Central City
Game: Sonic Chronicles - The Dark Brotherhood
Composer: Tatsuyuki Maeda
"Arrangement": Steve Sim

To the first one, awesome stuff. The jazzy feel is great, the instrument choices fit perfectly and the comment on the youtube page of mario in a wacky chase with the new york police gives me an hilarious image to go along with it. The second... so bad. I've never actually listened to any songs from this game beyond Nocturne, so each one is a new horror for me. Goes to show how a good melody can't save you from everything.

TimmiT

X31Nkkl.png

:V

Quite possibly! We don't have track-by-track credits, but he was the sound producer for the whole game, and brass is the closest thing he's got to a signature instrument.
Don't forget the piano! Seriously, almost every track he did in both Unleashed and Colors had piano in it somewhere.

These DKC Tropical Freeze levels...the music...Nocturnowl/Xtortionist hold me

I only allowed myself like 15 seconds of witnessing each stage, I'll just assume that they're good shit.
Left the vids running to try and seek out some of the music between the people playing waffling on, I think I dig the one in that Alpine mountain stage but its hard to tell with some dude yammering on about Dixie's hair.
I'm fully expecting a more DKC3 GBA styled soundtrack at this point where it jumps between the more atmospheric themes and surprisingly jaunty ones due to the more brighter visual theme of Retro's DK titles.

Regiruler

Saw some of that uploaded (Spanish?) IGN footage with the Zazz boss fight.

Firstly, he sounds better in Spanish.
Secondly, the second fight looked easier than the first.

The combination of "Obama chuckled "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?" being there with that reward music was too sweet. I was bracing for you-know-what and got something awesome instead

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq more's breaking down so hard that he's posting three times.

Your Democrats are actually right of our rightmost party in Canada. I could only imagine what it would've been like had Romney won.

>Door Into Summer

But I wanted the Big Arm remix.
If Beef were in charge, you would've gotten a Big Arm remix.

Just not the one you would've wanted.

Razzer

Voted for 'SMG isn't even good enough to be my fake', though I was very close to using the Obama one. +1 for rewards music.

Voted for "SMG's not even good enough to be my fake."

The Obama thing's funny in isolation but is has nothing to do with the game and is just a random reference to some doofy fanfic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If you guys decide to change your votes, just say it in here, and I'll add/subtract it to when I check the final tally.

Edit: Wait, I think I can make it so you can change your vote. So, I did that. You can edit your vote up to the 11th.

qq more

For those who have been in SonicGAF since last year:

Remember that huge survey I had for voting for your favorite Sonic stage from each handheld title? I'm still up for the idea of that Sonic Handheld Generations fangame idea (because Emerald Ties seems to be on hiatus ever since the last demo release and there's nothing I can do about it) and I've already have a premade engine that has nearly everything I need (on the Classic side).

Do you guys mind if I reboot the survey since we have so many new SonicGAFers ever since the poll ended?

Here is a sample:

AniHawk

hah, rad. voted for mine of course.

i think i'll be able to get through most of my wii u backlog before sonic hits. nslu, nsmb, and now pikmin 3 down. the wind waker hd and rayman legends to go. and zombi u- an unexpected birthday present. and it is the month of halloween, so i think i can fit it in.

pikmin 3 was exactly the wind down i needed after two intense platformers. i think i'll still need to wind down a bit before jumping into rayman, so tww hd next. haven't played tww in nine years, so hopefully a lot of the level design still seems new to me. i have a habit of remembering a lot about level design though.

TheOGB

Banned
oh shiet, it's finally coming

If you guys decide to change your votes, just say it in here, and I'll add/subtract it to when I check the final tally.

Edit: Wait, I think I can make it so you can change your vote. So, I did that. You can edit your vote up to the 11th.
Oh good, I think I fucked up and voted twice before :V

Quick 3DS version impressions:

- The game seems to use the same story cutscenes that the Wii U version has. Only problem is that they're really heavily compressed. Artifacting everywhere.

- Sonic controls far better than I anticipated, even when he's kicked up to his highest speed.

- Playing the game kind of reminds me of Mario 3D Land in the same way that Lost World Wii U takes cues from the Galaxy games.

- There were a few too many bits where you have to bounce on clouds over to a set of dash rings over a bottomless pit. Should be interesting to see how Dimps usual level design translates to 3D. (They did the daytime stages in Unleashed Wii though, didn't they?)

- The parkour bit is actually pretty interesting, specifically the wall running/jumping bits, since that's all about building and maintaining momentum in order to stay on the wall.

- Didn't know the Power Sneakers theme was switched to Reach for the Stars now.

- The transitions between sections of the level are a little less jarring now.

There's not really a lot for me to judge, since it's only a tutorial level and the first act of Windy Hill, but so far, it actually seems pretty okay. Not amazing, but decent. Provided the rest of the game doesn't go off of a cliff in quality, it could be a pretty solid game.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #15

Song: Dragon Road - Night
Game: Sonic Unleashed
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

Yes, Tokoi does jam a nice piano. Or at least a good imitation; both halves of Dragon Road are purely synthetic unlike most of Unleashed, and unfortunately they do come off a bit flat by comparison. That doesn't stop this from being a lively drum 'n bass driven piece, moreso than its daytime equivalent, especially once he starts breaking it down at 1:21. There's a heavy dose of built-in reverb too, which helps fill out what would otherwise be empty space.

Like so much of his work, solid stuff that flies just under the radar. Which is why he's already gotten three or four slots.

I keep reading the "busy servers" message like Jeff Gerstmann reading the "GO TO BED" text in Persona 4.

"The servers are too busy right now! It would be BEST if you tried again LA-TERRR!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom