• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

Heh. Fan favorites are fun and get a lot of discussion, but there aren't that many of them. Gotta pace myself. Plus, it's fun seeing the comments from people who've never heard a track before.

And then there's this clown who is clearly not what we need in office if he's never even listened to Rush.

Nope. Doing this is enough for me. I wouldn't know where to begin writing up an entire soundtrack at once, and I don't have the sort of breadth of familiarity with the subject that GAF's true VGM nerds do. I'm also not a fast writer, and I can already see the five-hour blocks of time that kind of work would eat away looming in the distance.

Not to discourage the idea, just to say that I'm not touching it.

Fair enough. Hell, I would never be able to do it either. Also, gonna second the 'listen to rush now' comment, get on that shit. Start with Jeh Jeh Rocket next though, that song is so good.

Heh. Fan favorites are fun and get a lot of discussion, but there aren't that many of them. Gotta pace myself. Plus, it's fun seeing the comments from people who've never heard a track before.

Yeah, of course, I understand completely. That's actually why I thought it was a great choice, because whilst it's clearly a stand-out track, I'm not sure it's ever considered the most famous Rush song - that'd be Tom Sawyer Back 2 Back, Right There Ride On or New Day, most likely.

I expect to be seeing Chemical Plant Zone a loooong time from now. Or in a week, who knows :p

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #12

Song: Chasing Drive ...for Kart
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Composer: Jun Senoue

I rag on SA2's music a lot, but like the gameplay, there are diamonds in the rough. This one's one of his last decent melodies, featuring a touch of the ska flavor that SA2 flirts with and also echoes of Senoue's SA1 style in the bells and chimes that he's still using for flourishes. You can hear the seeds of how his style would shift for Heroes in it as well, so it's an interesting transitional piece in that regard.

That music would be more enjoyable if not for that fucking long-as-balls driving level that uses it, complete with the blandest scenery imaginable. Was it Rogue's? Something like that.

SA2 stahp

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #12

Song: Chasing Drive ...for Kart
Game: Sonic Adventure 2
Composer: Jun Senoue

Should SA2 get a proper remake, which would never happen cus why would you want it anyway, I'd like for them to replace the kart section controls with sonic racing controls and physics. make it into a proper track as well. Your annoying mini-game section instantly converted to fun.

Speaking about the music, it's okay I guess, nothing particularly special, but I like the brass section a lot, coupled with the city backdrop, it makes it all very 'going on holiday' kind of thing to me, but that's because I'm a country boy so the big city always impresses me. Gonna agree with above me though, this section was weird as fuck when you consider what was going on.

Regarding Song of the Day: The Kart theme definitely sounds to have been whipped up with Tails in mind, it's of a similar style to his other stage themes which in turn makes it seem a bit ill fitting for Rouge's road trip.
Anyway it's a fun and catchy theme and the best thing about the boring stage it plays on, not much more to really say about it, you could say it's like a lighter Tails equivalent to Metal Harbour which is of course the best theme in SA2.

Damn, ya'll niggas didn't tell me they were making another 2D Metroid

It looks interesting but I can't help but find it too reminiscent of Super Metroid for my liking, I mean really that's no bad thing but I hope it ends up branching out in its own direction instead of me infinitely somersaulting through the later sections of the game as a killing machine using the "Lunar Leap" in conjunction with the "Spiral Attack".

Speaking of Metroid, entering the final stages of my Prime Trilogy replay and the early areas of Prime 3 are a lot crummier than I recall them being. Even once free from Galactic Federation nonsense you have Bryyo which is actually pretty linear in layout, full of bland combat and visually manages to look like a substantial step down from the areas in Prime 2. Then you reach Elysia/Sky Town and it's like an entirely different game, which is to say it gets so much better.
Hypermode mechanic still sucks.

Sciz

One of these days I should actually play SA2, but I'm worried that experiencing it properly would taint what few good opinions I have of it.

The Kart theme definitely sounds to have been whipped up with Tails in mind, it's of a similar style to his other stage themes which in turn makes it seem a bit ill fitting for Rouge's road trip.

It's grouped with his music on the OST as well, so you're right about that.

That was my concern as well, but Jobbs said he already making new mechanics that were never in a Metroid game before so it would have its own unique flavor.

Moving forward, though, I intend to rework the combat system a bit to make it more visceral, with more of a focus on push backs and knock downs, and deftly avoiding damage through quick timing -- as I said, it'll be a bit of brawler injected into the game. It'll still be metroidy, but it'll be something else too.

I'm also just discovering this Hyper Light Drifter thing, which looks like Link to the Past has sex with Diablo to the soundtrack of various Miyazaki movies, and I couldn't give it my money fast enough. Between that, Ghost Song, Shovel Knight, Mighty No.9, River City Ransom Underground and Shantae, its nice that there's a place people can get these retro-action games funded.

One of these days I should actually play SA2, but I'm worried that experiencing it properly would taint what few good opinions I have of it.
Replaying SA2 last year was unusually enjoyable which was odd because I was expecting my opinion of it to worsen, the game is as average as they come but in a way where it's kind of fun, like a guilty pleasure, especially when you factor in the so bad they're entertaining cut scenes.
I wouldn't call it a good game (though some of Sonic's stages do lean that way) but seeing the games that followed it, well it makes SA2 seem not so bad in the grand scheme of things.

That was my concern as well, but Jobbs said he already making new mechanics that were never in a Metroid game before so it would have its own unique flavor.

Moving forward, though, I intend to rework the combat system a bit to make it more visceral, with more of a focus on push backs and knock downs, and deftly avoiding damage through quick timing -- as I said, it'll be a bit of brawler injected into the game. It'll still be metroidy, but it'll be something else too.
That's good to know.

I'm also just discovering this Hyper Light Drifter thing, which looks like Link to the Past has sex with Diablo to the soundtrack of various Miyazaki movies, and I couldn't give it my money fast enough. Between that, Ghost Song, Shovel Knight, Mighty No.9, River City Ransom Underground and Shantae, its nice that there's a place people can get these retro-action games funded.
I tend to glance at these promising looking games for just a little bit, figure that they have the potential to be great fun and then just distance them from my mind so that one day they'll just suddenly release and I can go into the good ones pretty much blind.

If I had a dollar every time I saw a game on Kickstarter describe itself as influenced or inspired by Metroid(vania) and/or Dark Souls I would have enough to make my own game without Kickstarter funding.
At this point it is actually a turn off for me seeing a game on Kickstarter described like that.

On one hand I love that the Indie scene is supporting the metroidvania formula quite heavily seeing that it's dropped off the retail side of things these days, the style of game is among my favourites.
At the same time they're some huge shoes to fill, creating a map that's cohesive enough to flow at a pace where backtracking and route planning is a fun activity and not viewed as a chore isn't easy, a few bad moves on this front and it can really hinder my enjoyment of these games, nailing the map is paramount to me at this point, I find it's as strong an element to the genre as the gameplay itself.

qq more

If I had a dollar every time I saw a game on Kickstarter describe itself as influenced or inspired by Metroid(vania) and/or Dark Souls I would have enough to make my own game without Kickstarter funding.
At this point it is actually a turn off for me seeing a game on Kickstarter described like that.

It's kind of why I'm going to avoid going "MY GAME IS INSPIRED BY MEGAMAN" whenever I release it. Not to mention saying those kinds of things kind of... adds a lot of expectations that not be even met. It's hard to top Metroid.

But I guess what they're doing isn't exactly bad at the same time, they're giving you an idea of how the game plays.

Pietepiet

It bothers me when a game is described as "x mixed with y and a little z too". Makes it sound like you can't come up with anything yourself.

Really stoked about Hyper Light Drifter though. Great talent involved with that one. Mighty No. 9 as well obviously. Shantae never did anything for me

Village

It bothers me when a game is described as "x mixed with y and a little z too". Makes it sound like you can't come up with anything yourself.

Really stoked about Hyper Light Drifter though. Great talent involved with that one. Mighty No. 9 as well obviously. Shantae never did anything for me

Why? things are inspired by things.

What turns me off most of the time is the aesthetic of game.

Why? things are inspired by things.

The best games are defined by features unique unto themselves, at least at the point of release. The problem with setting out to make something like "X meets Y via Z" is that you ultimately end up never being able to be more than the sum of those parts - especially egregious when those parts themselves are often notable examples of how to be more than the sum of your parts.

Inspiration is an accessory to imagination, not an excuse for imitation.

Village

Better to say what makes you different first, before going on about your inspirations.

You know what I thought about it, I do agree.

The best games are defined by features unique unto themselves, at least at the point of release. The problem with setting out to make something like "X meets Y via Z" is that you ultimately end up never being able to be more than the sum of those parts - especially egregious when those parts themselves are often notable examples of how to be more than the sum of your parts.

While I do agree uniqueness is key in many cases, what defines good art is rather what is done with the sum of those parts. Because art whatever you wanna call it does not just happen, it goes though a person with experiences and preferences, it can go through groups of people.

X+Y with Z for you can be different for someone else, Different takes on something in all art should not be discouraged. It has produced some of the most worthwhile art ever. An in an industry like video games, something can start out one way, blossom into a few games and ind up another way.

Its not about uniqueness, its about imagination.

Not saying people should not come up with things, however someone saying its like another game is so vague that one shouldn't just brush them off assuming its going to some carbon copy.

Village

Even then It could be valid , dependent on what you are doing. Sometimes that kind of thing just gives a general idea where the idea is headed in a very short amount of time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd love to rant about how our cable/phone/wireless/internet companies are so stupid in Canada and their customer service sucks and their operators are so freaking rude to people, but I won't. :(

At least I have digital channels back, I guess. I can watch Parliament/Question Period/how-to cooking shows/stand-up comedy again when I want to.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Halloween's a Thursday, so probably not much. Knowing me, I'd be tired... wait, I think I have a presentation to do that day. And then I have an early shift to wake up for on Friday.

I don't think I've dressed up for Halloween in a while. The undergrads usually dress up, but if I do have a presentation that day, I would probably have to dress in a blazer, nice shirt, and skirt, etc. We usually get free candy from our instructors and stuff because they're cool. And I like giving out candy, myself. Not sure if I'll settle on giving out chocolate or gummy stuff this year. Gummy stuff is usually safe.

Our hospital volunteers' association is having a Ghostbusters movie night on the 25th with prizes and free popcorn so I might go to that. Depends on how I'm feeling.

In the land I hail from Halloween is the day you pretend you're not at home and devour the sweets (purchased in the chance someone bypasses the infallible "lights switched off" defences) that were successfully hoarded due to the lack of people knocking on your door.

As I understand it's a much bigger event across the pond.

Village

Speaking of Halloween... anybody doing anything special for it?

I was thinking about dressing up as Nero from Devil May Cry 4 at the local Halloween party.

Sonic related, someone asked me to do a bunch of sonic Halloween art stuff because I owe them a favor.

I might do it, but the issue is knowing me I would want to go 2x full assed into this and I wouldn't get most of them done because I would be taking on to many.

Also Gotta go fast

failgif2.gif

Speaking of Halloween... anybody doing anything special for it?

We still don't really do it here. Shops seem to be have been pushing it more in the last decade or so and some people are picking it up but there's still this general sense of "it's an American thing, we don't/shouldn't do it" which is silly when our entire culture is a crude mashup of our British heritage, stuff we picked up from European migrants via osmosis and things we just kinda lifted from the US anyway.

Halloween in Australia basically means "oh, Treehouse of Horror is on." I always thought the costume parties would be fun, though.

In the land I hail from Halloween is the day you pretend you're not at home and devour the sweets (purchased in the chance someone bypasses the infallible "lights switched off" defences) that were successfully hoarded due to the lack of people knocking on your door.

We just answer the door and tell 'em "sorry, we don't have anything, we don't really do this."

I'm really close to making a "What's the greatest Sonic R song?" thread.

I mean, there's only like six songs, it's probably not hard to come a conclusion as a forum.

"Livin' in the City", probably.

Also, I think there's exactly seven: "Can You Feel the Sunshine", "Livin' in the City", "Back in Time", "Work It Out", "Diamond in the Sky", "Super Sonic Racing", and "You're My Number One".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

That's more or less what we do here, too.

I mean, there's only like six songs, it's probably not hard to come a conclusion as a forum.
All of them.

Razzer

I dunno, people my age seem to get into it more and more each year. Not as big as America of course, but growing for sure. It's just an excuse to get wasted to a certain extent (not that we need one).

Regiruler

Unfortunately it is hard to get across a completely original concept at times so people point out similarities to established games to garner interest.

I've never played it: can your feeble mind comprehend that answer?

Razzer

Just listened, was very awesome. Super Sonic Racing is the best for sure. Though it's the only one I have experience with so maybe I'm biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom