• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #15

Song: Dragon Road - Night
Game: Sonic Unleashed
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

As most here know I basically owe Sonic GAF for opening my eyes to the quality of the night themes in Unleashed since all I remembered from my playthrough was the overused Werehog battle theme.
I did think this is one of the better night themes though still a bit behind the top ones, the mixing of Oriental instruments with that light Piano Jazz touch really works for me.
It's smooth, a nice theme to just relax to, kind of funny how all the night themes are basically at odds with a monstrous werehog smacking two enemies together which is likely what led us to the whole battle theme issue in the first place.

Didn't realize that it was synthetic either but when comapred to some of the other themes it is a tad more noticeable now you mention it, really though i'd praise it for doing as good a job as it did.

Sciz

Servers, how do they work.

Synthetic? You sure? Seems real enough to me.

Sega's more elaborate booklets, like the ones they put together for major Sonic games, credit everyone involved in the production of a track, including instrumentalists. Unleashed is absolutely loaded with live performances, but Dragon Road is an exception, with just "Music by" and "Mixed by" credits.

Didn't realize that it was synthetic either but when comapred to some of the other themes it is a tad more noticeable now you mention it, really though i'd praise it for doing as good a job as it did.

Sega's musicians are really good at their jobs, which is why I rip into Nintendo's for putting together such lifeless synth work by comparison.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like my twitter handle. I used it for my NNID, too. To be honest, I was only going to use it for the FF5 thing, but I ended up using it more often than I realized I would.

Oh, and two of the three popular OT thread titles are the ones I thought were going to be popular anyway. Kinda disappointed the Jurassic Park reference isn't really gaining traction.

And LOL Square Enix. I don't even. This company.

Oh, and two of the three popular OT thread titles are the ones I thought were going to be popular anyway. Kinda disappointed the Jurassic Park reference isn't really gaining traction.
That's okay, I'm trying to make a Jurassic Park GIF for the |OT| anyway - assuming you're willing to include it.

Only problem is that it involves superimposing a good 150 frames or so (cut down from 400!). I've got... like, 12 done. But y'know, I'm feeling good about it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Chrono Trigger dating sim is next.
No. :mad:

They already effed around with CT's UI in the mobile release and made it kind of ugly. No thanks.

That's okay, I'm trying to make a Jurassic Park GIF for the |OT| anyway - assuming you're willing to include it.

Only problem is that it involves superimposing a good 150 frames or so (cut down from 400!). I've got... like, 12 done. But y'know, I'm feeling good about it.
Very willing, if you'd like. Just don't make it too big (maybe 450 px at most)

Sciz

FF5's sprites would be fine adequate if they were anywhere close to the same art style as the world tiles. Instead it's this hideous mishmash, like all those Sonic fangames that throw Advance sprites into Sonic 3 tilesets.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
FF5's sprites would be fine adequate if they were anywhere close to the same art style as the world tiles. Instead it's this hideous mishmash, like all those Sonic fangames that throw Advance sprites into Sonic 3 tilesets.
That's the exact problem I have with them. Never mind that the UI and font clash horribly with the rest of the game, but the sprites and tiles themselves don't really mesh well at all because they just don't seem like they come from the same 'place'. It's like different departments were working on different things, they didn't really communicate with each other how the sprites were supposed to look in accordance with the tiles, and then you have this incoherent combination.

Lordy, I wish SE would use a new font for their phone games. -_-

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pfft. I'm gonna quote myself from the thread because it really grinds my gears.

I truly think the worst part of the thing isn't that it's on mobile (though everyone's expressed their grievances about the general aesthetic).

It's that they've made the game even easier than it originally was. There was very little incentive to use the Esper system as it was originally intended to be (ie: customize your characters by equipping Espers not according to the skills they give you, but according to the stats that they increase when you level up). Your stats, aside from HP/MP, do not level up with you throughout the game unless you have an Esper equipped (which will have a stat associated with it that will allow your stats to increase by a certain number at your level up).

By making the game markedly easier, there is even less incentive to use the Esper system accordingly. Making the game difficult, or tweaking the Esper system to give it more depth and making it so that you can customize your characters to multi-job according to their stats aside of their base skills, would have probably been the better approach. But alas, it doesn't seem like they would want to do anything at all to make the game have more depth. It's disappointing what they're doing.

It's like... they have no concept of what constitutes steady game design anymore. What people are into for RPGs as a whole, is not necessarily getting to the end-goal first and foremost. They're into the games for the journey. Narrative. Character progression. Character evolution. Dungeoning. Fighting. Final Fantasy VI, while I do have issues with the game, doesn't really strive to waste the player's time by forcing them into battles that they don't really want to be involved in outside of 1-2 dungeons. Final Fantasy VI is one of the easier FFs in general, so making the game even easier than it initially was is truly mindboggling and completely throws off the balance of the game's subsystems. Sure, this may not matter to a lot of other people, but it certainly matters to me because I play RPGs to number crunch and customize.

Making the game even easier and it was already ridiculously easy just completely throws off the need to customize your stats with your Espers in the first place.

So it leads me to ask the question, "Do you people even know what you're doing anymore?"

Pfft. I'm gonna quote myself from the thread because it really grinds my gears.

I truly think the worst part of the thing isn't that it's on mobile (though everyone's expressed their grievances about the general aesthetic).

It's that they've made the game even easier than it originally was. There was very little incentive to use the Esper system as it was originally intended to be (ie: customize your characters by equipping Espers not according to the skills they give you, but according to the stats that they increase when you level up). Your stats, aside from HP/MP, do not level up with you throughout the game unless you have an Esper equipped (which will have a stat associated with it that will allow your stats to increase by a certain number at your level up).

By making the game markedly easier, there is even less incentive to use the Esper system accordingly. Making the game difficult, or tweaking the Esper system to give it more depth and making it so that you can customize your characters to multi-job according to their stats aside of their base skills, would have probably been the better approach. But alas, it doesn't seem like they would want to do anything at all to make the game have more depth. It's disappointing what they're doing.

It's like... they have no concept of what constitutes steady game design anymore. What people are into for RPGs as a whole, is not necessarily getting to the end-goal first and foremost. They're into the games for the journey. Narrative. Character progression. Character evolution. Dungeoning. Fighting. Final Fantasy VI, while I do have issues with the game, doesn't really strive to waste the player's time by forcing them into battles that they don't really want to be involved in outside of 1-2 dungeons. Final Fantasy VI is one of the easier FFs in general, so making the game even easier than it initially was is truly mindboggling and completely throws off the balance of the game's subsystems. Sure, this may not matter to a lot of other people, but it certainly matters to me because I play RPGs to number crunch and customize.

Making the game even easier and it was already ridiculously easy just completely throws off the need to customize your stats with your Espers in the first place.

So it leads me to ask the question, "Do you people even know what you're doing anymore?"

I think my post summarizes it a little more succinctly :V

Of course, it's more because Square Enix can't make a good 2D remake worth a damn at this point in time and less because of mechanic changes, but still!

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #15

Song: Dragon Road - Night
Game: Sonic Unleashed
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

I'm going to start by saying that I would happily listen to the entire Unleashed OST on loop for many many hours. Almost every track is just godlike, especially the stage themes and the hub themes. This one is no exception. The piano is jumping around all over the place during some sections, then fades away to reveal an excellent bass guitar that Schala would be proud of. Combine this with the oriental instruments that constantly overlay the usual stuff, giving the piece it's own unique flavour. (This is something Unleashed does very well in general.) I really like the Jazzy funk that the night stages generally take after, as it complements the drum and bass of the day stages really well.
Apologies for the late reply btw, was in when GAF was out then had stuff to do.

Some appropriate music for what I'm about to post:

tumblr_mssj6a3zwK1rlrnwdo1_400.gif

tumblr_msu0uofkpu1qko4x4o1_500.gif

Man, I look at that FFVI iOS announcement, and I feel absolutely nothing. No disappointment, no anger, just "Meh, another game announcement I don't care about."

On a lighter note, after playing it a bit more, I really like what I've played of Lost World 3DS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know how the other running joke on GAF is that I'm old? I totally feel old right now. -_-

I can't... like... learn how to manipulate a computer program to do what I want it to do. I'd rather lecture live in front of an audience instead of doing this... thing. I'm more comfortable doing that and getting feedback immediately than going through the effort of editing a stupid video with my voice over.

:mad:

You know how the other running joke on GAF is that I'm old? I totally feel old right now. -_-

I can't... like... learn how to manipulate a computer program to do what I want it to do. I'd rather lecture live in front of an audience instead of doing this... thing. I'm more comfortable doing that and getting feedback immediately than going through the effort of editing a stupid video with my voice over.

:mad:
Meanwhile, I'm here slaving away at this GIF making business (up to 35 frames now, still have like 90 to go). :\

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i test body fluids and fix/calibrate machines for a living and i teach and mark stuff

i don't need to learn this

this is legitimately making me feel dumb

who assigns a youtube video assignment to their students when it isn't even remotely related to their discipline anyway

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
what exactly is it that you are doing?
Making a YouTube video to say why research is important in my profession.

And here I thought I had hard assignments before.

My undergraduate thesis? Easy. All I did was put people into an audio research room, have them read off some words and analyze how they said these words while applying psycholinguistics to it.

My senior phonology paper where I had to present it to the faculty after doing the classwork for it? That was super-fun and really easy.

A 60-minute lecture on language pedagogy and acquisition of the mental lexicon? That was hard only because I didn't have water on me.

A 15-minute group presentation on why a certain machine would be better and more cost-effective in the laboratory than a slower process? Easy. And then demonstrating why the machine was better than the other? Really nice.

An examination of various specimens in order to visually inspect what microorganisms were in the solutions we prepared for analysis? Easy.

A project where we had to build a small robot that did something neato? Easy because my groupmates were pretty cool.

This one, though? This video thing? Hard as hell. This is the hardest assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom