• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just started uni. You scaring me Schala :(
not really
One day you'll have nice TAs like me who allows for regrades and extensions... and puts notes from tutorials up on the site because I know no one takes notes.

And has review sessions for kicks... sometimes Jeopardy and candy is involved.

I judge my professors on whether or not they do Jeopardy style sessions.

Okay, not really, but a vast majority of them actually did use that method, weirdly enough.

Razzer

One day you'll have nice TAs like me who allows for regrades and extensions... and puts notes from tutorials up on the site because I know no one takes notes.

:eek: sounds awesome. Though my current lecturers are pretty good about having presentations be available to go over whenever we like so got that covered.

BlackJace

My favorites are the ones that tell the class just how hard their class is/how many people failed last year. Way to inspire confidence in your students.

PKrockin

I had a professor who did a Jeopardy review session once. It was the weirdest thing, but kind of cool. I had no idea it apparently is common.

I bet less than 5% of GAF share your preference of lecturing live rather rhan mucking with video editing software. lol

Making a YouTube video to say why research is important in my profession.

And here I thought I had hard assignments before.

My undergraduate thesis? Easy. All I did was put people into an audio research room, have them read off some words and analyze how they said these words while applying psycholinguistics to it.

My senior phonology paper where I had to present it to the faculty after doing the classwork for it? That was super-fun and really easy.

A 60-minute lecture on language pedagogy and acquisition of the mental lexicon? That was hard only because I didn't have water on me.

A 15-minute group presentation on why a certain machine would be better and more cost-effective in the laboratory than a slower process? Easy. And then demonstrating why the machine was better than the other? Really nice.

An examination of various specimens in order to visually inspect what microorganisms were in the solutions we prepared for analysis? Easy.

A project where we had to build a small robot that did something neato? Easy because my groupmates were pretty cool.

This one, though? This video thing? Hard as hell. This is the hardest assignment.

...What exactly is your major, if you don't mind me asking?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had a pretty good morphology professor who is natively Japanese, but learned Irish (Gaeilge), English, and Portuguese... then used all four languages as a basis for morphology examples. It was neat.

My math professors, though? I bugged my TAs for help or just read the textbook instead + went to pre-exam review sessions.

...What exactly is your major, if you don't mind me asking?
In my undergraduate studies, I double-majored in linguistics and neuroscience. I started off as pre-med (as neuro/biochem) but didn't really like it. I switched to neuro/math, then neuro/cognitive science, then neuro/linguistics.

Now I'm doing Biotechnology/laboratory stuff (well, to be more accurate, biomed engineering). My dream was actually to go into Speech-Language Pathology, but that clearly wasn't in the cards.

...I've basically taken almost everything, though. Well, I've never taken economics, but I've pretty much taken a lot of stuff. Music/Musical Theatre was something I did in my spare time prior to uni.

Sounds like you have great TAs.
Oh no, that's what I usually do when I TA.

I should've said "like myself".

Razzer

My favorites are the foreign professors you can barely understand and teach primarily through lecture.

OH BOY

I have a Korean guy who... well his English is fine but he's just a little weird. Makes strange faces in lectures and never actually says much. The lab TA who helped yesterday was way better than him at teaching lol.

BlackJace

My favorites are the foreign professors you can barely understand and teach primarily through lecture.

OH BOY

The kicker is when they teach math.

I had a pretty good morphology professor who is natively Japanese, but learned Irish (Gaeilge), English, and Portuguese... then used all four languages as a basis for morphology examples. It was neat.

My math professors, though? I bugged my TAs for help or just read the textbook instead + went to pre-exam review sessions.

In my undergraduate studies, I double-majored in linguistics and neuroscience. I started off as pre-med (as neuro/biochem) but didn't really like it. I switched to neuro/math, then neuro/cognitive science, then neuro/linguistics.

Now I'm doing Biotechnology/laboratory stuff (well, to be more accurate, biomed engineering). My dream was actually to go into Speech-Language Pathology, but that clearly wasn't in the cards.

...I've basically taken almost everything, though. Well, I've never taken economics, but I've pretty much taken a lot of stuff. Music/Musical Theatre was something I did in my spare time prior to uni.

So what you're saying is that you're really fuckin smart, haha.
Seriously, that sounds like it's been hours and hours of dedication, which I can respect.

Dark Scholar amirite.

O.O Super Duper Ultra smart!

When do you find time to do... anything?

I thought you might be referring to yourself, but I wasn't sure. You sound like an awesome TA.

Still working though Xenoblade; about 52-53 hours in, now. Man, Valak Mountain didn't pull any punches; daytime was fair enough, but night time, hooboy. Big birds attacking me for being twenty feet away from them, and then those damned Nebulae chip in when they saw somebody using Ether - and the Nebulae were arguably worse than the birds were.

Then there's the Lava Cave (that's seriously its name), with a boss fight surrounded by several nebulae. Wound up having to beat that fight with only two of my team alive, as one of its attacks had knocked Dunban down in the middle of a lava pool, and I wasn't about to go sacrifice Shulk to run into it to revive him (surprisingly lava isn't instant death, or even instant damage, but it does hurt like hell to stay in for any extended period of time). Doesn't help that there's also a Unique Enemy Nebulae in there that takes a beating, seems to have really high defense, is immune to Break (so I can't Topple it), and likes giving my entire party Blaze, frequently KOing the lot in one go. And of course, the Landmark for Lava Cave is at the entrance , while all the fights are well inside it, meaning I have to traverse the whole cave each time unless I reload a save. Ugh.

But hey, it appears that
I'm on Mechonis, or at least its sword
now. Progress!

And
Dickson
's back! I vaguely recall somebody on SomethingAwful responding to a guy claiming he was looking forward to
Dickson
showing up with "yes, and that only keeps growing stronger the further into the game you are". That seems pretty accurate thus far. (I'm not sure if he's really a spoiler, but eh.)

Also, I totally called that plot twist that revealed
Metal-Face was actually Mumkhar
. Further proof that I really should not be reading actor listings on IMDb for games I haven't finished yet. (That one is a spoiler. Haven't played, but are going to? Don't click.)

So I just marathoned all 3 hours of RE 6's cutscenes and... am I crazy for not hating it as much as everyone else seemed to? Don't get me wrong, nothing in there was what I would call thought provoking, moving, original or anything like that. Corny and over the top is what it is, and I enjoyed it for those reasons. Basically, it was Capcom being Capcom story wise. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't have an emotional stake in the franchise (I'm not a big fan or anything), but I just don't see what was so god awful about it. Yeah, I could harp on it for being so predictable that I called the entirety of Jake's character development after the first couple of minutes and I was 100% correct by the end, but honestly I just don't think mind blowing story telling is what Capcom was going for.

Some appropriate music for what I'm about to post:

tumblr_mssj6a3zwK1rlrnwdo1_400.gif

tumblr_msu0uofkpu1qko4x4o1_500.gif

kFcvORY.gif

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #16

Song: Boss 6
Game: Sonic Advance
Composer: Yutaka Minobe

The Advance series, for all its failings, has a pretty good track record with boss themes, and the composers went out of their way to write extra ones that weren't strictly necessary besides. Like this one, which is specifically tailored to match the tone of Cosmic Angel. It's a nice touch.

Long buildups are a tricky thing to get right, but Minobe threw in just enough to keep you listening while the tension rises. Then he hits the gas, and it turns into another one of those late-game "How awesome are you? SO AWESOME. Go get 'im!" pieces that the series does so well. The transition into the loop sucks the energy right out, sadly; the piano's just getting into a really good Castlevania-esque mood when everything comes to a screeching halt and it goes back to the intro, when it should be skipping over that. I love it, but mourn the fatal flaw.

OH BOY

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyep. I stopped going to those lectures and just read the lecture notes instead. I feel like I learned more without trying to decipher what the guy was saying a lot of the time <_<

Reminds me that I really need to give the GBA Sonics a try.

BHZ Mayor

The Advance series, for all its failings, has a pretty good track record with boss themes, and the composers went out of their way to write extra ones that weren't strictly necessary besides. Like this one, which is specifically tailored to match the tone of Cosmic Angel. It's a nice touch.

Long buildups are a tricky thing to get right, but Minobe threw in just enough to keep you listening while the tension rises. Then he hits the gas, and it turns into another one of those late-game "How awesome are you? SO AWESOME. Go get 'im!" pieces that the series does so well. The transition into the loop sucks the energy right out, sadly; the piano's just getting into a really good Castlevania-esque mood when everything comes to a screeching halt and it goes back to the intro, when it should be skipping over that. I love it, but mourn the fatal flaw.

Wow. I see what you mean. It sounds like it's about to get even more energetic at that point then NOPE, intro time. But I love those types of intros. The ones that are just progressing chords with just a touch of some sort of keyboard instrument, then right when it's about to hit that line of being a bit too long, boom, high energy track that perfectly compliments the smoothness of the intro.

So I just marathoned all 3 hours of RE 6's cutscenes and... am I crazy for not hating it as much as everyone else seemed to? Don't get me wrong, nothing in there was what I would call thought provoking, moving, original or anything like that. Corny and over the top is what it is, and I enjoyed it for those reasons. Basically, it was Capcom being Capcom story wise. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't have an emotional stake in the franchise (I'm not a big fan or anything), but I just don't see what was so god awful about it. Yeah, I could harp on it for being so predictable that I called the entirety of Jake's character development after the first couple of minutes and I was 100% correct by the end, but honestly I just don't think mind blowing story telling is what Capcom was going for.

Personally I felt the game was a complete mess game design wise, but then again I only played the demo.

I played the full game, it is a complete mess game design wise. and not a happy game design mess like Bioshock Infinite, the sad clown kind that makes you want to throw babies out windows

PKrockin

I really should get RE6 at some point. I want to believe those who are saying the mechanics are actually really really good and the campaign just sucks ass at explaining or encouraging you to use them. I wouldn't mind slogging through a mediocre story mode if a significantly improved Mercs is waiting beyond it.

Razzer

Ooh, good one. It helps that the boss is actually pretty hard, and unique in it's conception to boot. The loop is jarring now that you mention it, although I was concentrating too hard to notice when I played this. You get a real sense of menace from the start of the piece, whilst the main section is very heroic. Basically it does what you mentioned. Also, it is a remix of the stage theme I believe, and the two work well in tandem together as the stage theme sounds like a desperate race to catch up and stop Eggman (think like final rush from SA2 or something) whereas this is when the slower stand-off ensues.

Yeah, the transition would be better if they added, like, one or two more measures with both the horns and the intro's strings playing a drawn-out chord or two to wind everything down just before it went back to the top. Still, it's an okay song, although not the strongest one in the game by any stretch of the imagination.

I totally get that. Gameplay wise, I felt that RE 6 was thoroughly mediocre. Story wise... not the best, not the worst. I enjoyed the over the top nature as well as the corniness.

I can understand that.

Capcom corniness is pretty great, it's one of the reasons I love DMC so much, but it wasn't enough to win me over with RE6.

Tizoc

Yo Schala hold up, mind elaborating on why Final Fantasy VI is easy please? I don't know if I asked this before, but from what I last played of FF6 GBA, the enemies' strength as you advance through the game really irritated me making it seem like you're just surviving through the battles.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #17

Song: Splash Hill Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Composer: Jun Senoue

meow meow meow meoooooooow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meooow meow meow, meoooow meoooow

VLC keeps picking this lousy thing out of a list of over two thousand possibilities, so I'm going to go ahead and roll with it in hopes that it satiates the random number generator's lust to see me suffer.

But I've got some standards, so here's a second option:

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #17

Song: Splash Hill Zone Medley
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Composer: Jun Senoue

That's better. It still meows at you, but with just about everything else being replaced it's much more listenable, and drives home how this whole zone was never written for synth in the first place.

And it's not a bad song. There's nothing classic about it at all, but it's a solid standard Senoue guitar jam in the vein of Seaside Hill, and parts like the back half of Act 2 are genuinely inspired. But that lead...

Bonus Challenge: Link a fan arrangement of Act 1 (Sonic the Sketchhog, while immensely charming, doesn't count). The one I like best gets to PM me a song pick for next week, with a die roll breaking ties in the event of duplicates.

qq more

Sonic 4 Ep 1's music has great composition (except for songs like the Final Boss and a very few act music that loops way too soon), it's just a shame the instruments are awkward for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom