• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #17

Song: Splash Hill Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 4
Composer: Jun Senoue

Song: Splash Hill Zone Medley
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games

Oh god the synth. This is not ear destroying but it gets close. Still nothing compared to chronicles but pretty bad. The composition is ok, and the Olympics mix shows that off, but it still isn't anything to shout about. You are right to compare it to seaside hill, but that was never one of the better Heroes tracks anyway imo. It feels a little confused honestly. The main melody seems more like it is meant to be relaxing and calm, yet it is accompanied by the upbeat backing. This makes it feel like it is at a faster tempo than it wants to be. That said the synth is definitely the biggest flaw.

About the fan arrangements thing, do remixes count as arrangements, or does it just have to be new instruments but the same melody etc?

The Splash Hill medley is nice in a sense that it shows a sense of cohesion between the three themes without them outright piggybacking off each other when it comes to the melody, i'm a bit partial to Act 3 at least.
All three themes are actually quite catchy but as stated by others so the sound font/samples or whatever aren't that great putting it in the same boat as a lot of the themes in the NSMB games.

As far act 1 in particular, it's like the herald of disappointment both musically and in gameplay.

BHZ Mayor

NSMB's instruments are better than Sonic 4 Ep 1's

with or without the BAH BAHs

bah bah!

Sonic 4 as a whole still has it beat though as far as music. The "hey bubba let's go to that thar hoedown" compositions aren't even good. Can't believe that's what they're going with for 3D World.

Song: Splash Hill Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Song: Splash Hill Zone Medley
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
I'm not going to lie: I unironically love this song.

Okay, fine, I don't like the instruments; I have no idea why Senoue thought they even remotely approached the YM2612/PSG combo, because anyone who's played any Genesis game ever can clearly tell you it's nowhere near. But the composition? Definitely a favorite. The chord progression reminds me a lot of some of the old DOS games I used to play, giving me this weird nostalgic feeling that I find very appealing.

So yeah, I love this song, in spite of itself.

Bonus Challenge: Link a fan arrangement of Act 1 (Sonic the Sketchhog, while immensely charming, doesn't count). The one I like best gets to PM me a song pick for next week, with a die roll breaking ties in the event of duplicates.
roxahris did a pretty good conversion of this to SMPS. (MP3 for those who can't play emulated VGM/VGZ files.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thread title voting is going to go until 11:59 PM EDT tonight. If you feel like changing your vote before that, go ahead.

Thread'll be up either tomorrow or Sunday because I'm so tired (it's been a looong week, and I completely forgot we get more patients the day before a long weekend starts so I was on my feet aaaaalllllll morning and I want to sleep), had quite a bit of off-internet stuff to tend to this week (and I wanna bake something for Thanksgiving on Monday), and I realized that I'm going to be out and not home on Saturday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No rush. Take your time. I'm not rushing, either, since there's a full week until the game's out in PAL territories.

I don't think I'll understand why we're getting it last out of all the territories. Even Japan's getting it earlier than us.

NO

BOTH OF YOU

RUSH IT RIGHT NOW

ITS SONIC RUSH

GOTTA

SPEED

THE

FUCK

UP

SPEEEEEDDDDDDD
Can't work on it at work even if I wanted to, though.

I mean, it's not like I'm not at a slow point in my work day, but I don't have Image Ready on here, and even if I did, I don't have the PSD file handy.

qq more

Speaking of rushing work, whatever happened to that one game you were working on? The one that your were making avatar bets about.

I've been working on it a ton lately. I'll show you guys what I have so far for this level I'm working on by the end of the week.

iR7juPsQxVdHi.gif

qq more

Altitude Limit from Sonic Rush makes me wish I was playing Sky Canyon from Advance 2 instead...

EDIT: are you fukkin kidding me with these tiny ass platforms over a giant death pit of lasers? sonic's slowest movement speed is too fucking fast to do tiny platform hopping

EDIT2: It's sometimes impossible to know what's ahead because the level is so spaced out and there's DEATH PITS EVERYWHERE

EDIT3: seriously why did so many people voted for this level is in first place from that best sonic portable level poll? it's the #1 voted Rush stage tied with Dead Line.

qq more

I beat Act 1

the last stretch of that overly long act is fucking terrible, who seriously thought that tiny ass platform hopping segment was a good idea oh my god

EDIT: OH BOY. TIME FOR BULLSHIT ACT 2. I CANT WAIT TO LOSE ALL MY LIVES AND HAVE TO REDO THE ENTIRE STAGE ALL OVER.

EDIT2: AWESOME. I got punished for boosting on grind rails in a game that encourages you to constantly boost and grinding! And no, I wasn't boosting mindlessly, there was a segment where you have to boost on the grind rails because it was littered with spikes, and they can only be destroyed with boost.

EDIT3: GAME OVER. OOPS. GOTTA START THE ENTIRE LEVEL FROM ACT 1. THANKS DIMPS.

FUCKITUDELIMIT.png

All seven of you deserves to be dimps'd for all of eternity.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #18

Song: The White of Sky
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Composer: Fumie Kumatani
Lyrics and Vocals: runblebee

Mmm, acoustic guitar. This isn't the catchiest piece around, but it's got such an unusual mix of instruments for the series that it almost makes up for it on novelty value alone. Besides the guitars, there's a tambourine helping keep the beat and a couple of the more exotic instruments that define the Secret Rings soundtrack.

The lyrics, as per usual for runblebee, don't make a damn bit of sense.

---

As for yesterday, since there were just the two of you and I hate both entries, you both win.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #18

Song: The White of Sky
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Composer: Fumie Kumatani
Lyrics and Vocals: runblebee

On my first impression I actually wasn't that impressed by this, however having listened to it a couple more times it's growing on me a little. I can't be the only one who things it sounds kind of like a Crash Bandicoot or Ratchet and Clank track can I? (Anyone who hasn't listened to R&C OST's should do so immediately btw). The lyrics are unobtrusive, I can't really make out what he's saying for most of it but I think that's kind of a good thing. They end up being just another instrument rather than a separate entity. I think I hear a harp or something in there? That sounds good whatever it is. And the acoustic guitar is always a plus. A good song overall.

BTW should we PM you our choice or post it here? Haven't decided on anything yet but I am thinking.

BHZ Mayor

On my first impression I actually wasn't that impressed by this, however having listened to it a couple more times it's growing on me a little. I can't be the only one who things it sounds kind of like a Crash Bandicoot or Ratchet and Clank track can I? (Anyone who hasn't listened to R&C OST's should do so immediately btw). The lyrics are unobtrusive, I can't really make out what he's saying for most of it but I think that's kind of a good thing. They end up being just another instrument rather than a separate entity. I think I hear a harp or something in there? That sounds good whatever it is. And the acoustic guitar is always a plus. A good song overall.

BTW should we PM you our choice or post it here? Haven't decided on anything yet but I am thinking.

It definitely reminds of something out of the PS2 Ratchets. I wish Insomniac would go back to the style for future games. Orchestrated soundtracks are overrated tbh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This hotel has Nintendo 64 games, but you have to pay $6.95/hr to play the games. The list of games are as follows:
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Tennis
  • Super Mario 64
  • Mario Party
  • Mario Party 3
  • Paper Mario
  • Kirby 64
  • ExciteBike 64
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Mario Golf
  • Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
  • Star Fox 64
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Yoshi's Story
  • The New Tetris
  • Dr Mario 64
  • Majora's Mask
  • Rampage 2: Universal Tour
  • Wave Race 64
  • Virtual Pool 64
  • Gauntlet Legends
  • F-Zero X
  • Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Virtual Chess

Do bear in mind that there is only one controller in the room. LOL.

It was pointed out to me that you could theoretically speedrun Super Mario 64 for cheaper than you can pay for it on VC. :V

I'd take pics, but I completely forgot to bring my camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom