• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #18

Song: The White of Sky
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Composer: Fumie Kumatani
Lyrics and Vocals: runblebee
I dunno, for some reason I'm just not feeling this one much. It's decent enough, but wholly unremarkable. Just like the rest of Secret Rings's soundtrack, really (barring Dinosaur Jungle; dino, it's a jungle, wiggity wah/"wicked wild"/whatever it's "wiggity wah" shut up).

I will say, though, the way it starts out makes it sound like it belongs to a spy game of some sort. I suppose it's fitting; didn't Fumie Kumatami do Rouge's stages, which were similarly spy-ish?

As for yesterday, since there were just the two of you and I hate both entries, you both win.
I've sent out my suggestion already.

And just to reconfirm: yes, that really is what I am suggesting.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #19

Song: Sky Sanctuary Act 2 (Fast)
Game: Sonic Generations
Composer: Tomonori Sawada
Arrangement: Jun Senoue

One of the precious few Sonic 3 songs we do know the composer for.

Also one of Senoue's precious few classic arrangements that actually improves on the original, and like the level itself, does so mostly by throwing out the majority of the original work. The melody survived, except for the loop where even that got rewritten, and the harmony and percussion is completely new. It's lighter and airier, more energetic and less shrill, full of chimes and strings and pads. Even the fast version where he cuts loose on the rhythm guitar keeps it down to a peppy, bouncy tone instead of going overboard.

It probably helps that Richard Jacques did some of the synth work.

Razzer

This is actually one of my least favourite tracks in Generations. It isn't bad, but compared to a lot of the other tracks it doesn't catch my ear. The lead and synth... well I just don't like them. The tempo seems wrong honestly. Like it doesn't know whether it wants to be frenetic and upbeat or not. It's also quite a basic melody with little amounts of flair. It could also be because I would always use Green Forest on this stage instead to get me pumped for speedrunning it (poorly).

Great remix of a great original for a great Generations stage. I think I might be more partial to the Classic mix (that was Hataya, right?), but this hits all the right notes, even with the expansions. Even just noticed there was a piano present in this mix; don't think I'd realized that before.

Although for whatever reason, I keep thinking the song's going to segue into "Back in Time". Dammit, SaASRT.

sarcoa

If anyone else is reviewing Lost World, please PM me. Kind of bashing my head against the wall at a certain point.

edit: nevermind!

BlackJace

To be fair some fanfics sound pretty interesting.

Are you fucking kidding me?
KuGsj.gif

The internet, I swear.

The original Sky Sanctuary theme I'm kind of indifferent to, the sound effects often seem to cut into the music and on the whole something about it I never felt to be quite right.
The modern remix of the theme retains the general style of the original whilst having it flow a lot better, it has that airy fantastical feel the original didn't quite grasp so I find it much more fitting to the setting. It also takes things a bit further and adds to the original theme.
So despite my reaction to its original mix I ended up liking the generations modern version quite a lot.

I warmed up to Rayman Legends quite a bit, including the 8-bit music levels, screw Nocturnowl. Definitely will be seen again in the old 10 top GOTY time

why they decided to include every Mosquito level, leaving out a good half dozen platformer stages in Return to Origins, I'll never know tho

Please stop slandering my fantastically good name JC.

But yes the deluge of returning mosquito stages was an odd choice, any stages with nymph chases weren't implemented which was a shame.
The main thing I learned from Return to Origins is that Sea of Serendipity is actually pretty lame.

Currently still top 5 material for me but these things jumble around on a daily basis.

Sciz

I will say, though, the way it starts out makes it sound like it belongs to a spy game of some sort. I suppose it's fitting; didn't Fumie Kumatami do Rouge's stages, which were similarly spy-ish?

Tokoi wrote one, but the rest and Fly in the Freedom are hers, yes.

I think I might be more partial to the Classic mix (that was Hataya, right?)

Yeah, he did all five classic Act 1 mixes.

Oh you're too mean to SoS, but they did exclude some of my favorite levels like Port O' Panic and the Nym chase with the glorious sounds of the Lum King, Bad Bubbles and Beyond.

I do think the water levels in Legends are generally better though, even the Murfy ones aren't too bad. I really love the James Bond espionage angle and design of its stages.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I could always change the title later, but w/e. Semantics.

I'm pooped. Haha. It's actually my first OT, but thanks to everyone who helped me out with banners and fixing things pixel-by-pixel (qq more and BlackJace). I honestly could not have done it without either of you.

It's a good OT. Nice work, Schala.

Now to sit back and see how quickly the end-of-post disclaimer gets ignored...
Nah, people are usually polite in OTs, and Lost World looking really awesome helps calm people down somewhat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BTW, the top five thread titles were:

Too X-treme for the Galaxy
Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"
SMG's not good enough to be my fake
It's going home in a box
I long for death's cold embrace

And then there's running and screaming, and ShockingAlberto's last minute entry (Sonic Colors (with a U)) were tied for sixth.

Gattuso

Am i too bored if i decided to go and 100% Sonic 06? (I just have to get all of shadow's silver medals and 4 more for silver and i'm done)

Gattuso

S ranking shadow's missions and some of Silver's were torture because of instant death or dying was pretty hard to avoid. Sonic was easy because i could just red gem it up all day. at least with getting the silver medals i can die without worrying about the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom