• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, last night before I went to bed I finally got around to beating Sonic Generations. Some random thoughts:

• City Escape Act 2 is the best 3D Sonic stage period IN MY OPINION.
  • Although I have never played Unleashed, I really enjoyed Rooftop Run. A part of me wants to track down a copy of Unleashed.
  • I see what people mean by Planet Wisp's length. Could have been way better if they had cut it by like half.
  • Nobody calls him Robotnik anymore.

Anyway, my overall opinion of the game is positive. I still prefer Colors, but I liked Generations a lot. Now I'm ready for Lost World
in two years
!

My mood right now:

46cbs.gif

By the way, has there ever been a "Who's your favorite set of Sonic voice actors" poll/forum thing or would that cause too much of a blood bath?

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #20

Song: SONIC DRIVE
Game Show: Sonic X
Composer: Cheryl Watanabe
Lyrics: Takeshi Aida (Translation/Better, but incomplete translation)
Vocals: Hironobu Kageyama and Hideaki Takatori

What, you thought we were just doing games? Pfff, no. I won't hit up Sonic Underground, I swear. But a performance from Hironobu Kageyama? Aw yeah.

4Kids tried the "GO GO GO GO GOTTA GO FAST" thing, but SONIC DRIVE did it first and pulled it off so much better. It's got a lot in common with Cha-La Head-Cha-La, which is appropriate for several reasons, but most importantly it captures the same carefree, timeless sense of "cool" that's core to the series and which Gotta Go Fast missed by a mile.

If only the show itself had been as good, alas.

Bonus: Sonic X was really popular in France for some reason, and I'm willing to attribute that in part to the fact that they just dubbed the original OP. They also rewrote the lyrics, and I'm not at all sure what they're saying other than something about bad robots.

What, you thought we were just doing games? Pfff, no. I won't hit up Sonic Underground, I swear. But a performance from Hironobu Kageyama? Aw yeah.

4Kids tried the "GO GO GO GO GOTTA GO FAST" thing, but SONIC DRIVE did it first and pulled it off so much better. It's got a lot in common with Cha-La Head-Cha-La, which is appropriate for several reasons, but most importantly it captures the same carefree, timeless sense of "cool" that's core to the series and which Gotta Go Fast missed by a mile.

If only the show itself had been as good, alas.

Bonus: Sonic X was *really* popular in France for some reason, and I'm willing to attribute that in part to the fact that they just dubbed the original OP. They also rewrote the lyrics, and I'm not at all sure what they're saying other than something about bad robots.

Nice song.

Yeah, wasn't a fan of Sonic X. Or Underground. Or the original Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon with Jaleel White.

Wow, Sonic really hasn't had a good track record with cartoons, has he?

I always heard "I'm trying to shoot you, it's true, heh heh" in the chorus.

But yeah, this song's great. All of Sonic X's Japanese soundtrack is amazing. My biggest umbrage with the 4Kids dub - other than changing "Chaos Control" from a form of teleportation to Eggman's base because they couldn't be assed to do any research - was replacing the original soundtrack with a really shitty and overly cartoony one. I gather that's the least of Sonic X's issues, but I mean, heck, they removed "Live and Learn". Inexcusable!

I always heard "I'm trying to shoot you, it's true, heh heh" in the chorus.

But yeah, this song's great. All of Sonic X's Japanese soundtrack is amazing. My biggest umbrage with the 4Kids dub - other than changing "Chaos Control" from a form of teleportation to Eggman's base because they couldn't be assed to do any research - was replacing the original soundtrack with a really shitty and overly cartoony one. I gather that's the least of Sonic X's issues, but I mean, heck, they [I]removed "Live and Learn"[/I]. Inexcusable!

THE FUCK!? THEY DID WHAT!?

AW HELL NAW!

I'm revoking your title of lord.

It's okay. The truth can hurt sometimes. :)

Yeah, if we're talking just Generations, I think that title still goes to Sky Sanctuary or Seaside Hill.

Sky Sanctuary was fun and is a worthy contender. Really all of the Classic stages were really good and easily some of the best in the game. I don't know if I would put Seaside Hill on the same level, though. Then again when playing it I got flashbacks of Heroes and how much that game would piss me off.

EDIT: For the record, I always felt that City Escape from Adventure 2 was the best 3D Sonic stage for the longest time. It really had a lot going for it, and none of the other stages from Adventure 1 and 2 came close to matching it, nor could its immediate successor Heroes. Sonic 06 is Sonic 06, so no surprise there, and like I mentioned before I have never played Unleashed so I really can't comment. Colors was the first time I felt that the stages actually stood up against City Escape, although I can't really say there is one stage in particular that matches it--it's more of the total sum than the individual parts, which makes sense seeing as how the stages are broken up into multiple acts. Generations has a lot of individually great stages, both as Classic and Modern Sonic. As far as Modern Sonic goes, I think a lot of the stages (namely, Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, and Rooftop Run) really outclass the original City Escape. But of course, the remade City Escape is a very strong contender, capturing the original's energy and feel incredibly well, and actually building off of it with extended areas and making the truck chase segment at the end even more ridiculously over the top in the most awesome way possible.

As a side note, I thought that Sky Sanctuary for Classic Sonic was the best.

Dario ff

Banned
City Escape Act 2 is the best 3D Sonic stage period.
Nah, the padding at the start and the end of the stage completely kills it IMO. Feels like a chore to replay.

Also, I find it amusing Generations caused the first community thread to be created and now we're on the next game... Time flies.

Yeah, if we're talking just Generations, I think that title still goes to Sky Sanctuary or Seaside Hill.

I would agree with either of those choices, i'm leaning more towards Sky Sanctuary.

I'm sure across these Sonic Community threads i've already mentioned this twice but Modern City Escape is more spectacle than anything else.
The stage is unusually linear once you're past the boarding area (which in turn is full of various paths, many of which are a nightmare to actually hit if they involve grinding wires), between the board and truck segments are lots of empty open areas with nothing worth noting.
The final bit with the truck is pretty much pure boosting, sure the novelty of seeing the truck suddenly start driving up the wall is great but it actually means very little, this is the stage that loses its sheen upon replays and some of the red rings are just placed in locations that are more annoying than anything else like trying to line up with the one in the truck chase.
The stage cribs all the memorable spots from the SA2 original and simply does them again and when it comes down to it I still find the SA2 version to play better and be more involving for the player. This isn't to say that it's a bad stage but its soundly thrashed by the other modern ones around it as well as its classic counterpart which has a far more fun usage of the GUN truck.

Dario ff

Banned

Razzer

Well this certainly matches up to the best sonic songs for cheesiness. Am I right in saying this is a typical anime like opening? I don't watch them so I don't know. It's kinda fun I guess. Certainly better than the English version. And at least the guitarist gets to have some fun during his solo. Pretty decent is my official verdict. Not very scientific, but eh.

Sciz

City Escape is flashy, but it's nearly as shallow as Green Hill. The series should always have some amount of style mixed in with its substance, but you've gotta keep the ratio balanced.

...maybe.
Probably.

sheeeeiiiit

I knew about the second one, but the first is new. I spent a bunch of time trying and failing to get onto that platform from the wallrun above, never occurred to me to look for a slide gap.

Whoever built Seaside Hill badly needs to be the series' lead level designer.

City Escape Act 2 would be better without the board bit. Sorry, I know it's nostalgic and all, but it's not that good.

Seaside Hill Act 2 also has a fucking TON of branching paths, and it's gorgeous to boot.

qq more

Seaside Hill had the problem where it's sometimes not clear where to go, so I ended up accidentally boosting on the water to a dead end and kill myself :/

City Escape's boarding was fine, I wouldn't say I was nostalgic for it (considering I never had a strong opinion on the game it originated from).

Sciz

The worst part about City Escape is that there's one part of the park that's as wide open as the game ever gets, and for a moment it looks like you've got a whole world of possibilities.

Then it turns out to be completely barren and funnels you back down a single exit.

I'd say that if City Escape 2 had to cut one of the two segments, it'd be better off without the truck, honestly. I have more fun with the board than I do that segment.

Wow, first the boarding NOW the truck?!

You guys are nuts
You do realize the person calling for the boarding to be cut is a completely different person from myself, right

And that I don't actually want either part to be cut, and was only positing a hypothetical situation in which one of the parts had to be cut, right

Right

qq more

You do realize the person calling for the boarding to be cut is a completely different person from myself, right

And that I don't actually want either part to be cut, and was only positing a hypothetical situation in which one of the parts had to be cut, right

Right

i am aware of that but no way would anyone cut the truck part out, that's... the highlight

i mean come on... that's like cutting out hydrocity from sonic-

OH FUCK

DUNSPARCE

IN POKEMON Y

BRB CAPTURING IT

Right

Wrong

Everyone on SonicGAF is actually the same person

Wrong

Everyone on SonicGAF is actually the same person

Also wrong,

We are all part of the same collective consciousness, yet have yet to realize it. Only when we realize this and come together as one will we reach our true potential and take over the rest of GAF in a collective consciousness orge where we assimilate the other users by force, if necessary, into our collective. Then, on that day, a new dawn will have come.

Also wrong,

We are all part of the same collective consciousness, yet have yet to realize it. Only when we realize this and come together as one will we reach our true potential and take over the rest of GAF in a collective consciousness orge where we assimilate the other users by force, if necessary, into our collective. Then, on that day, a new dawn will have come.
So End of Evangelion, basically?

Razzer

Also wrong,

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/b/b0/Plance_spawn_05.mp3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Happy Thanksgiving, you all. Though, it's Canadian Thanksgiving. :p

I'll just say that the OT was made with PC browsers in mind, and I checked it in Vita's and the Nexus 7's version of MobileGAF prior to posting, so it's more compatible with those resolutions than a smartphone's resolution (and you all know I don't own a smartphone). I tried to change some of the formatting to see if some of the shrinking is reduced, but I can't fix all of the formatting otherwise the thread will look weird on regular PCs. What I wanted to prevent was something like the FF14/GTA5 thread being incompatible with some PC resolutions and thus everything isn't all images. I dislike those kinds of threads because they take a while for them to load and they can look messy.

I apologize if it doesn't look good for some people browsing in MobileGAF, but given that I was working with one platform while formatting the whole thing, looked at it in Vita/Nexus 7 periodically, and I had two people looking at it periodically whenever I made changes and suggested fixes whenever things looked strange, I'm probably not going to change the overall formatting. I could de-centre the thread banner, but then the thread would probably look lopsided, as qq more had told me as I was working on it a few days ago. I'll de-centre the special stage image, though. Should fix that. Either way, I apologize to the MobileGAF users. And since the thread's on page 2/4 now, it probably won't get a lot of views.

I'm sure across these Sonic Community threads i've already mentioned this twice but Modern City Escape is more spectacle than anything else.

The stage is unusually linear once you're past the boarding area (which in turn is full of various paths, many of which are a nightmare to actually hit if they involve grinding wires), between the board and truck segments are lots of empty open areas with nothing worth noting.
I agree with all of this, even the bits I didn't include. Whenever I cite my favourite Zones/Acts from Sonic Generations, City Escape Act 2 is probably not among them despite having one of the most interesting chase levels in the game (probably did the Unleashed chase levels right despite being linear.

Generations does serve to be a spectacle, though. While it's a game that people have modded a lot, and a game that probably made people say, "Okay, Sonic's okay now", the game was also an anniversary game and had to be dressed to the nines. In a case like this, for the latter half of the Act, varied level design and varied paths were certainly sacrificed in order to create something memorable for players to take home. For the majority of players who probably weren't chasing after Red Rings, City Escape Act 2 was actually one of the more memorable Acts in the game because of the truck's emphasis in the second half and probably the thrill of the chase as opposed to Act 1's platforming while running away (which I could probably equate to one scene in the Sonic OVA).

So it's either you're damned if you do or you're damned if you don't, I guess?

It's something that also probably drew a distinction between the two types of play, though. A lot of of the modern bits did seem to try to include some instances of spectacle to probably shine a brighter light on the Modern variation of Sonic, while concentrating on some aspect of his playstyle (and here and Rooftop Run, it's boosting) in a neat conveyance. A lot of the classic bits seemed to have concentrated on combining platforming with animation/different paths or the classic style of chase design.

...Basically what I'm saying is that the truck is still a good thing in hindsight despite the fact that some of the design in the last half of the level suffers for it. It may not be that great in practice upon replays, but it's good in practice in terms of making something that people will remember and be in awe for if they play it a few times.

Look look look, he picked the better one. ;-;

I don't like the 4Kids song at all because it's, well, while it fits the character of Sonic, it doesn't really fit the OP to me. Sonic Drive actually does, and as you've said, Kageyama's voice fits a lot better. While some don't really like the JP OP songs for DB or something, I do like them a lot. Kageyama has a good voice, and a lot of the notes coming out of him tend to sound fluid and carefree. The lyrics frequently sync well with what's going on on-screen, much better than the 4KIds one (or at least for the first OP). Kageyama hasn't lost his cool, and it's probably going to stay that way.

Heck, even the ED themes are better than the ones they use in the English version. Especially the first one.

You've been in GAF around enough to know Anihawk is sarcastic, man.
No one recognizes the posting style or genre choices of oldbies anymore unless they post in a lot of threads, it seems. Heck, in a few RPG threads, I've gotten asked if I play the genre often enough to be able to bring up certain aspects of a game or general game design lately.

A little belated, but

Quoting for new page. This is great.
Thanks; you seem to have been the only one who noticed.

Well, I did get one guy on TVTropes who asked if John Hammond was Dr. Wily having let himself go. That'd have been an interesting direction for Jurassic Park to go in.

TheOGB

Banned

S O N I C GO!

I love the song, it's awesome, and it gets me excited. But back when the show was starting I was super hyped to see an awesome Sonic show and a little part of me believed that OP would be used, at least translated. Obviously, my hopes were crushed, and I then learned to never believe in 4kids.

Tizoc

The best thing about Sonic X is that it gave us this magnificence-
sx26.jpg

The anime wasn't all that to me, but I should give the last season a watch.

BlackJace

Remind me to never read or make a Sonic-related thread on this board. I had no idea so many people had such blatantly wrong, and offensive opinions about the games and its fans.

qq more

Remind me to never read or make a Sonic-related thread on this board. I had no idea so many people had such blatantly wrong, and offensive opinions about the games and its fans.
I'm assuming it's about the generalization posts. Pokemon and Sonic fans get that shit a lot. It's very annoying.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
People need to realize that they shouldn't broadly paint everyone with the same brush. There are odd Sonic fans, sure, but not everyone is like that.

Hell, this thread certainly demonstrates that a lot of the people who play Sonic on GAF play it because they're platformer fans or videogame fans in general. It's not like we stringently stick to Sonic when discussing things, but we bring a lot of other platformers up in discussion in isolation or direct comparison.

Tizoc

At times I wonder if there's a Mario bias that blinds some people into just mindlessly insulting or trash talking any other Platformer series.
I do hope I'm wrong about this, but it's something I've been suspecting/wondering for the longest time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom