• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too bad that apparently everything was closed because of the US government's shutdown. Still good that you had a good time. The last time I went on a plane was when I was a baby, so I don't remember anything, haha.
Now, now, he said "Washington", not "DC"; clearly he went to Seattle :V

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is the Space Needle some sort of government sorta thing that would be closed if the government's not working?

So, so, if so, I can be half-right.

When your country is 90% frozen wastelands, using the same place name twice sounds like an impossible situation.
Well, we have a London, a Kingston, a Gloucester, a York, a Whitby, an Edmonton, a Sudbury, a Peterborough, a Scarborough...

...teehee. We just stole your country's towns' names. >.>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I went clothes shopping the other day and I noticed this wallet/purse and it immediately reminded me of Nocturnowl.

29_034629612033_20_3arl24.jpg

I went clothes shopping the other day and I noticed this wallet/purse and it immediately reminded me of Nocturnowl.

29_034629612033_20_3arl24.jpg

You should have bought it, granted you may not want to be constantly reminded of me each time you dig into your change to buy some of those crazy Canadian doughnuts but I sure as hell can't get away with wearing such an item.

Yay, I wasted a week but I also have nothing to do now. I would revisit Unleashed but I made the werehog levels impossible to complete by accident.
Such a task probably took years of your life mentally so I'd guess you lost more than a week.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #22

Song: HEADS.MID
Game: Sonic's Schoolhouse
Composer: Robert Francke

Shadow Hog managed to out-obscure me by digging up this one, which I take as a personal challenge. We can (and will) go deeper.

As per usual, being obscure isn't the same as being bad, and even being edutainment (even licensed edutainment) isn't a death sentence. The low budget nature of the genre means you're never going to get anything resembling production values out of it, but the other side of the coin is that it's a specifically kid-targeted genre, and as such the music is often intentionally catchy.

I question the use of the choir as the lead instrument; the guitar and piano prop it up, but it really wasn't meant for this sort of use. The unusual and distinctive chord progression make the song work in spite of it, though, elevating it to something that sticks in your head a bit more than simple muzak. I can't pin down what it reminds me of, other than other mid-90's edutainment titles, as though that's a whole genre unto itself. Earthworm Jim SNES, maybe.

Razzer

Daawww, it sounds adorable. I agree that the choir is questionable, but honestly it isn't that bad overall. It's got a catchy beat, a funky bass (kinda) and the melody is listenable. For something done on a shoestring budget I don't think you can ask for much more.

Probably my favorite song of the bunch, and yeah, the chord progression has a lot to do with it, in spite of the odd choice of lead instrument. Seems like a vaguely uplifting kind of song, the sort you'd probably get a lot of from Christian music or something. I really like that kind of music (uplifting, that is, not Christian; I'm not a very religious person, so a song about nothing but God tends to put me off).

Although, assuming I'm correct in where it's used, it's juxtaposed with this.

(Also, this is clearly the best Mario is Missing! song. Sad thing is, between the DOS version of this - the one with Weegee and "You won't find adobe here in Nairobi..." - and some Mario's Early Years DOS games, these were my introduction to Super Mario World's soundtrack. ._.)

I just learned fans complain about Sonic's eye color. What's up with that? Is it really a thing? lol

Well for a while there it happened that every game after Sonic got his skinnier, green-eyed redesign was complete garbage, so naturally every aspect of the redesign got thrown under the bus. (The argument usually being the more complicated design, making Sonic's eyes green in particular, was a metaphor for how needlessly complicated the game design and plot was getting.) Also like JC says, crazy people think it ruins the canon or something.

Of course, it was all a bit silly then, and now that Sonic has great games again the complaints about that have pretty much vanished.

Some people get bent out of shape comparing Sonic 2's Sonic sprite to Sonic 3's Sonic sprite, the whole Green eyes thing looks about par for the course to me after that one.

Playing some of Sonic Colours earlier in preparation for Lost World and i've come to the conclusion that this is my favourite Sonic game after Sonic 3&Knuckles, small flaws be damned, I always find it a ton of fun.

Sciz

For something done on a shoestring budget I don't think you can ask for much more.

Oh, you can, but they're extreme outliers. Andrew Benson's work on Chex Quest is what I regard as the General MIDI equivalent of Mega Man 2, for instance, and that was a game that came in a cereal box.

Seems like a vaguely uplifting kind of song, the sort you'd probably get a lot of from Christian music or something.

Eh... in a very loose sense, but I wouldn't make the comparison in general.

(Also, this is clearly the best Mario is Missing! song. Sad thing is, between the DOS version of this - the one with Weegee and "You won't find adobe here in Nairobi..." - and some Mario's Early Years DOS games, these were my introduction to Super Mario World's soundtrack. ._.)
That's hardly a bad thing. SMW's music is as great as it is because of how absurdly flexible its leitmotif is, and MiM made great use of it.

Although, assuming I'm correct in where it's used, it's juxtaposed with this.

I'm surprised that particular bit of nightmare fuel hasn't caught on.

CFK, you just don't understand the dilemma here. Sonic's eyes weren't fuckin' green in the Genesis games, and then suddenly they were.

Its ruining the integrity of Sonic canon!

lol

Well for a while there it happened that every game after Sonic got his skinnier, green-eyed redesign was complete garbage, so naturally every aspect of the redesign got thrown under the bus. (The argument usually being the more complicated design, making Sonic's eyes green in particular, was a metaphor for how needlessly complicated the game design and plot was getting.) Also like JC says, crazy people think it ruins the canon or something.

Of course, it was all a bit silly then, and now that Sonic has great games again the complaints about that have pretty much vanished.

I see; silly nonetheless.

qq more

I just learned fans complain about Sonic's eye color. What's up with that? Is it really a thing? lol

I think most of them were just upset by association. Before Colors, most mainline Sonic titles involved green-eyed Sonic! But now that Sonic's games are getting good again, I've seen that complaint far less often nowadays. It's silly in either case.

Personally I prefer Classic Sonic because Sonic looks better when he's short and doesn't have long spikes, but I'm okay with Modern Sonic's look too... as long as it isn't 06's Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That green eyes garbage was the dumbest thing I'd read on the Internet a few years ago because it's such a superficial substitute for things that were actually wrong with the games at the time. "Sonic canon"... pfft.

As for that Sonic Schoolhouse music, I'd like to say that while I did have a Pico, that was one game I never got a hold of. I remember wanting it. I remember thinking that Tails and the Music Maker was the best game on the "platform". Edutainment music is supposed to be something that isn't necessarily intrusive because you want to stimulate the child's mind as opposed to occupying their thoughts with BGMs that might distract them from learning. So I imagine that it might be a finicky thing to compose at times, but I kinda want to liken it to infomercial music which basically does the same thing.

Shadow Hog said:
Seems like a vaguely uplifting kind of song, the sort you'd probably get a lot of from Christian music or something.
I can tell you that after years of singing and playing in church choir, that this isn't really correct, haha.

As for the BGM, I find the synth bass rather distracting, but that might be because of the recording or the mixing when it was put on the Internet. It sticks out more than the other instruments. The keyboard "choir" kind of works, and I guess I didn't really pick up that it was supposed to be evocative of a choir until some of you brought it up. Chord progression is interesting, but it totally works since it works really well with the percussion. There's one bum note that sticks out entirely towards the end that sounds really awkward. It's ok.

Yay, I wasted a week but I also have nothing to do now. I would revisit Unleashed but I made the werehog levels impossible to complete by accident.
You totally wasted a week doing that. D:

You should do something productive to make up for lost time.

You should have bought it, granted you may not want to be constantly reminded of me each time you dig into your change to buy some of those crazy Canadian doughnuts but I sure as hell can't get away with wearing such an item.
There was a green one that I was pretty close to picking up. It was kind of cute. One of those shoulder bags.

These days "Green Eyes" make me think "HUELEN" more than anything else. As far as stupid shit that nobody sane should ever harp on goes, I was always more bothered by Sonic's eyelids being fleshy in one game and then blue in another, or characters like Big or Amy having toeless feet, honestly.

Well, that and using post-Adventure Eggman in Sonic 4 when it's allegedly immediately after Sonic 3. At least they brought in Classic Eggman for Generations soon after.

And yeah, the church choir comparison, although I meant more contemporary music than traditional choir, probably wasn't apt. I am not good at explaining why I like certain music pieces, sorry ._.

As for that Sonic Schoolhouse music, I'd like to say that while I did have a Pico, that was one game I never got a hold of.
That's fine; it's a Windows game. :V

As for the BGM, I find the synth bass rather distracting, but that might be because of the recording or the mixing when it was put on the Internet. It sticks out more than the other instruments. The keyboard "choir" kind of works, and I guess I didn't really pick up that it was supposed to be evocative of a choir until some of you brought it up. Chord progression is interesting, but it totally works since it works really well with the percussion. There's one bum note that sticks out entirely towards the end that sounds really awkward. It's ok.
It's actually meant to be a fingered bass, I believe. But yeah, it's like that in the original MIDI, including the notes that are suddenly much louder than the others.

I dunno, I tried to mix it as well as I could. Nothing much more than recording, normalizing, and then inserting into an MP4 file with a still image.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And yeah, the church choir comparison, although I meant more contemporary music than traditional choir, probably wasn't apt. I am not good at explaining why I like certain music pieces, sorry ._.

That's fine; it's a Windows game. :V.
I mixed it up with Sonic's Gameworld for some weird-ass reason. Forgive me, studying for two things while posting here.

And nah, I got what you meant. Even the contemporary stuff we had to sing/play wasn't all super-saccharine. But again, I'm Catholic (so even in our Catholic school we sang lots of contemporary stuff), so half of the stuff we sang was supposed to be kind of dour.

The Sonic 3 sprite is way worse than the Sonic 2 one though.
See, I remember saying this a few months ago because in isolation, I do like the Sonic 2 sprite more. But when you look at the Sonic 3 sprite with the Sonic 3 backgrounds/foregrounds, it kind of works?

In isolation, though, I do like the 2 sprite more.

qq more

I prefer Sonic 3's sprite a bit over 2 because it's more detailed, but they're both good.

I remember trying that hack of Sonic 3 and used Sonic 2's sprite to spice things up and it looked really out of place.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was lurking back then, but Huelen seemed like an alright person albeit rather enthusiastic about Sonic to the point of making framegrab packs to explain Sonic's eye colour and whether or not his model/sprite is smiling in various shots.

With that said, that poster can no longer defend himself, so... I don't like to say bad stuff about him because I wasn't a member back then and I'm not entirely well-versed in his posting style to make a judgement... and I don't like talking behind people's backs. He seemed like an alright guy outside of... that.

Originally Posted by HUELEN10

Frames 1, 9, 13, 33, 34, 45, 43, 51, and 53 seem to all be blatant "smile frames".

Godspeed Huelen10, wherever you may be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom