• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just learned fans complain about Sonic's eye color. What's up with that? Is it really a thing? lol

Every fanbase has their fringe lunatics. Some fringes are just more vocal. But really, as others have said, it was just a symptom of a greater problem: Sonic games just weren't all that great at the time. And when you've got an unhappy fanbase who longs for past entries, everything gets pommeled.

I've been here about 6 months. Technically my account got approved before that, I just didn't realize it at the time..

Spinluck

SonicGAF's accounts are younger across the board than I thought.

I start lurking in 2011. Never really wanted to join till early 2012.

Kinda regret going with the name Spindasher. You'd be surprised how many times people debating something with me have attacked the quality of Sonic games in an attempt to somehow hurt my feelings or upset me. Lol.

Razzer

I start lurking in 2011. Never really wanted to join till early 2012.

Kinda regret going with the name Spindasher. You'd be surprised how many times people debating something with me have attacked the quality of Sonic games in an attempt to somehow hurt my feelings or upset me. Lol.

That's why my name is a more obscure reference to sonic (yet essentially the same as yours, strangely enough)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JC...
KuGsj.gif

You reminded me that Anth0ny never completed that "beat Shadow 326 times to unlock everything in the library" challenge.

CrimsonCrescendo, someone did seriously say that.

Edit: I know no spoiler talk in here, unless spoiler tags are used, but what I'm looking at now (and if Azure Dream pops in here, he could probably give some input), it's, uh... well, I shouldn't be puzzled with respect to the boss fights, but I'm not very satisfied with what they've chosen to do with some of them.

PKrockin

I can't believe it's been 3 years since I joined already.

And this is the second time in like a month that I've whined in this thread about how time flies.

It kind of sucks because I refuse to watch said stream and spoil myself on the game, so I'm missing a significant chunk of the picture when it comes to everyone's hype collectively deflating at once.

What I have gathered is that there's an overabundance of minigame stages, that the final boss, whatever it is, is a humungous letdown, and that the game only lasts a good five hours or so.

Hey folks! Random question I feel like you guys are probably best to answer...

Is there a general consensus on SA2? I remember playing it on GC and loving it forever ago. I've seen a few of the newer games and never been interested, but I always get confused when people say the games haven't been good since the genesis years since I thought SA2 was pretty widely considered a good game....

Any insights? Completely random thought I had tonight. Listening to the soundtrack now....

Hey folks! Random question I feel like you guys are probably best to answer...

Is there a general consensus on SA2? I remember playing it on GC and loving it forever ago. I've seen a few of the newer games and never been interested, but I always get confused when people say the games haven't been good since the genesis years since I thought SA2 was pretty widely considered a good game....

Any insights? Completely random thought I had tonight. Listening to the soundtrack now....
Love-it-or-hate-it. It's clunky and hasn't aged well, and yet in spite of all that I still had fun with it when I revisited it on Steam earlier this year. If you haven't played it before, odds are more likely that you'll not like it than you will like it, but if it's ever on sale, couldn't hurt to give it a shot anyway.

TheOGB

Banned
General consensus? Good luck getting that on any Sonic game.

I don't like it much. I prefer SA1, but really, both aren't that great; they're 6/10s. Maybe that's because I tried to play them both in the mood I was in yesterday (still feeling it today :/), but even when I want to replay them I only go to like 3 or 4 levels before stopping.

Sciz

It kind of sucks because I refuse to watch said stream and spoil myself on the game, so I'm missing a significant chunk of the picture when it comes to everyone's hype collectively deflating at once.

What I have gathered is that there's an overabundance of minigame stages, that the final boss, whatever it is, is a humungous letdown, and that the game only lasts a good five hours or so.

That's the gist of it. Extrapolate the worries people have had from demo/trailer footage for a while now out across the entire game and you've got another Unleashed type entry, where good ideas don't quite reach their potential and half-baked ideas add dead weight to the package. I expect it to get a tamer version of the sort of reaction Unleashed got as well.

edit: That said, the usual caveat of "I haven't actually touched the game" applies, and it does look like there's a lot of opportunity and reason to do replays and mess around with different approaches, which should help soften the initial impressions of jankiness somewhat. Concerns about length are similarly null and void. Won't be reflected in reviews though.

OMG Aero

SonicGAF's accounts are younger across the board than I thought.
Does the join date on profile mean when you actually joined the site or when you got approved? Because back when I joined there could be like a 6 month difference between the two.
Yo fuck Classic Eggman, just make a small version of the statue outside Eggmanland.
OZOvr1e.jpg

That would get pride of place on my desk.

qq more

Account registration, not approval.

Well that's weird. I've actually registered on Feb 2010 but got approved in 2011.

My quest to become the most smug bastard in all the region continues.

pokemon, what are those?

How are you enjoying the game? I think I'm enjoying it more than Platinum thus far, which says a lot because I loved that game.

Noi

Black almost put me off from the whole series. Even skipped B2W2 cause of it. I was about to pass on XY as well, but amazing feedback from people I trust on day one got me curious enough to bite. I managed to get it for free*, so I figured why not.

It's not a perfect game, but it sure does a ton to address a lot of my long-running series complaints. The focus on better implementing pre-existing Pokemon instead of introducing 200 new ones strikes a chord for me as well, since it's nice seeing so many older pokemon be introduced per area, rather than purposefully leaving them out so you have to go buy the older games as well. The starters are literally the only Gen V pokemon I recognize anyway, so that's a whole Gen's worth that may as well be new, haha. It's a shame that Gen V's protagonists are gonna be Gone with the Wind so to speak due to Player customization pretty much letting you radically alter what they look like, but it's a sacrifice I'll happily make, as shown above.
I've spent more money on clothes than on items for my pokemon...

...Now I just hope that the next Gen doesn't get "Game Freak'd" with tons of the good XY features being cut out to reintroduce in a later game.

* - Free after 3 game trade-ins and a $10 off any GS purchase PUR voucher.

Kokonoe

Banned
Black almost put me off from the whole series. Even skipped B2W2 cause of it. I was about to pass on XY as well, but amazing feedback from people I trust on day one got me curious enough to bite. I managed to get it for free*, so I figured why not.

It's not a perfect game, but it sure does a ton to address a lot of my long-running series complaints. The focus on better implementing pre-existing Pokemon instead of introducing 200 new ones strikes a chord for me as well, since it's nice seeing so many older pokemon be introduced per area, rather than purposefully leaving them out so you have to go buy the older games as well. The starters are literally the only Gen V pokemon I recognize anyway, so that's a whole Gen's worth that may as well be new, haha. It's a shame that Gen V's protagonists are gonna be Gone with the Wind so to speak due to Player customization pretty much letting you radically alter what they look like, but it's a sacrifice I'll happily make, as shown above.

...Now I just hope that the next Gen doesn't get "Game Freak'd" with tons of the good XY features being cut out to reintroduce in a later game.

Black and Black 2 killed it for me. (Black 2 was more of Black anyways so you didn't miss out on much) I am, however, being told to reconsider my position on not getting X. I may give Game Freak one more shot, but I'll be honest, Mega's designs are way too overdesigned. They remind me of Kingdom Hearts 2 designs which I am not a fan of. It's just kind of hard for me to even get motivation to think about getting it since I don't like most of the designs. I didn't like most of the designs in Gen V either. I think Gen IV struck a balance between if they're going to go the extra mile with the designs, don't put TOO much, but as it went on, they just decided to not even balance it out and just put whatever they could come up with.

I really doubt I'll like X much more than Black at this point, but maybe I'll see. I know I don't have the money for it right now, though.

This is also the first gen besides gen I where I didn't buy a Pokemon version at launch date.

qq more

I agree with 100% of what you've said (well, except the protag part, not sure what exactly you mean there). B/W really burned me too, it wasn't a bad game itself but... it felt soooooooo damn run-of-the-mill hardly offering anything exciting. It felt like a boring extension to Gen IV, just with new (also too fuckin' many) Pokemon and some polish.

In fact, I was replaying Blue lately, and despite being "outdated mechanically", it was still a fun experience (with or without nostalgia, it's still a good game depending on what you play Pokemon for, I roll my eyes at anyone calling them actual bad games) and it provided me far more entertainment than B/W ever hoped to. Unova is such a painfully boring region and there were so many things I plain dislike about that game.

XY is exactly what BW should've been. I especially love the implementation of the old Pokemon and how they still added a Gen VI bird Pokemon without it being a replacement. In fact, it's great that they spiced things up and made the typing of the Gen VI Bird Pokemon different instead of the usual NORMAL/FLYING. There is sooooooo many Pokemon to suits everyone's taste, it's great. I was really happy to see Dunsparce so early in the game too!

And I really like way they've implemented online features, it is such a great change. O-Powers is kind of like the Spirit Bomb from DBZ if you think about it... haha. (Just the whole idea of giving boosts to your friends). Also love that you can battle/trade/chat anytime you want when you're not in battle, and it's quick too!

There is so much more I want to praise the game about, I'm only 2 badges in and it's fantastic so far. It's way too early to rank the game with the other mainline entries (GSC/HGSS is honestly still my favorite), but so far it's pretty up there. Hopefully this keeps up and doesn't become a disappointment in the end.

Noi

What I like about XY is that you really don't have to give a shit about pokemon from any Gen that you don't care for. You start off with the obligatory Gen VI starter. The very first grassy area lets you catch Pidgey, Zigzagoon and some other basic normals. The forest almost immediately after that lets you catch Pikachu, damn near every bug evolutionary line and all the different Pan- monkeys. Right after that you're given the Kanto starter, at which point you can catch tons of other older pokemon. You literally get so many options over what to do that you never have to use a Pokemon you don't like. I love the push for variety over "LOOK AT ALL THESE NEW POKEMON, LOVE THEMMMMM".

I don't love the Mega designs all that much either, for the same reason you do, but I'm surprisingly not as bothered by them as I thought I would be now that I'm actually playing the game. Seeing them in motion helps a bit, I guess.

The online implementation is one big reason I like it a lot. Barring how annoying it is for the whole thing to disconnect if you put the game on suspend or hit home (a bit of an oversight, really), it's great that they finally ditched the restrictive "you can online do online stuff in pokemon centers" baggage and let you do anything anywhere. It even opened up for handy features like Wonder Trade, which is way better for trading than the GTS (which still has dumb people asking for only Legendaries or literally unobtainable pokemon).

Re:protags, what I mean is how each of the previous series' main characters pretty much had their own identity. There's a bit of cross-over at times, but they're otherwise pretty unmistakable.

Because of the Trainer customization though, I can't see the XY protagonists becoming nearly as memorable. I already kinda forgot what the male protagonist looked like since, as shown above, I've changed him to the point where they look nothing alike. I feel like I'm playing as myself rather than that character, which is quite the change. Like I said, it's a bit of a sad thing to see happen after years of tradition, but I'm all for trainer customization being the default from here on.

qq more

What I like about XY is that you really don't have to give a shit about pokemon from any Gen that you don't care for. You start off with the obligatory Gen VI starter. The very first grassy area lets you catch Pidgey, Zigzagoon and some other basic normals. The forest almost immediately after that lets you catch Pikachu, damn near every bug evolutionary line and all the different Pan- monkeys. Right after that you're given the Kanto starter, at which point you can catch tons of other older pokemon. You literally get so many options over what to do that you never have to use a Pokemon you don't like. I love the push for variety over "LOOK AT ALL THESE NEW POKEMON, LOVE THEMMMMM".

I don't love the Mega designs all that much either, for the same reason you do, but I'm surprisingly not as bothered by them as I thought I would be now that I'm actually playing the game. Seeing them in motion helps a bit, I guess.

Yeah, that's pretty much a game changer for me. So many Pokemon available to choose from without going an extra mile to either beat the game or buy a sequel/remake/something years from now.

As for Mega forms, I have mixed feelings on them based on what I've seen as some are indeed over-designed. I think the problem with Mega forms is that they're all based directly on fully evolved Pokemon that they already enough on their design, so trying to add more to them can easily lead to making them over-designed.

With that said, there's a bunch I like such as Mega Ampharos, Mawile and Lucario.

The online implementation is one big reason I like it a lot. Barring how annoying it is for the whole thing to disconnect if you put the game on suspend or hit home (a bit of an oversight, really), it's great that they finally ditched the restrictive "you can online do online stuff in pokemon centers" baggage and let you do anything anywhere. It even opened up for handy features like Wonder Trade, which is way better for trading than the GTS (which still has dumb people asking for only Legendaries or literally unobtainable pokemon).
Yeah, when I first heard about that suspension = disconnection complaint, I didn't think it would be honestly much of a big deal, but now that I tried it out myself... yeahhhh that is very annoying. I always finding myself wanting to be online at all times, so it was very annoying getting disconnected along with the error message whenever I suspend the game just to see who turned on their 3DS or have to AFK and wanting to close the 3DS.

Re:protags, what I mean is how each of the previous series' main characters pretty much had their own identity. There's a bit of cross-over at times, but they're otherwise pretty unmistakable.

Because of the Trainer customization though, I can't see the XY protagonists becoming nearly as memorable. I already kinda forgot what the male protagonist looked like since, as shown above, I've changed him to the point where they look nothing alike. I feel like I'm playing as myself rather than that character, which is quite the change. Like I said, it's a bit of a sad thing to see happen after years of tradition, but I'm all for trainer customization being the default from here on.
Oh okay, now I get what you mean. It's just that earlier you said Gen V and I was left kind of lost there lol

So are we all excited for Sonic Adventure 3, now with emerald hunting in lumbering mechs with no radar at all, and Big's deep sea fishing? Over 100 hours of padding gameplay!

Noi

Comparing Lost World to '06? Daaaamn, what happened? I still haven't seen any footage for the game cause I'm still not interested in don't have a WiiU.

That came out in 2006, though. >.>

Oh yeah, my bad. Sonic Adventure 4.

In Amy's story, you make sandwiches for Sonic in Cooking Mama-esque minigames then must sneak past Eggman's robots in a stealth gameplay to deliver them to him. These stages alone take 10 hours. More value for your dollar!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, hell no. Lost World isn't 06-calibre. It's way better and more polished than that with movement that works and isn't broken.

My beef isn't with the length, which is a criticism that's kind of weird to me since platformers are typically short, anyway. My beef's with the level design/boss design and the final boss... so basically the stuff I was iffy about ever since the game was announced.

Oh yeah, my bad. Sonic Adventure 4.
That came out in 2008.

61whetgzljlcqf3i.jpg

qq more

Unleashed is Adventure 3. 2006 is crap and should never be considered ANYTHING in the same line as competent titles. It should be isolated and forgotten forever, but the latter is impossible... we shall never forget the horrors that game brought upon us and the franchise.

also my Wind Waker save file is gone, I forgot to back it up along with my other Wii/GC saves on my hard drive :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom