• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
JC...
KuGsj.gif

You reminded me that Anth0ny never completed that "beat Shadow 326 times to unlock everything in the library" challenge.

CrimsonCrescendo, someone did seriously say that.

Edit: I know no spoiler talk in here, unless spoiler tags are used, but what I'm looking at now (and if Azure Dream pops in here, he could probably give some input), it's, uh... well, I shouldn't be puzzled with respect to the boss fights, but I'm not very satisfied with what they've chosen to do with some of them.

Wow.

Edit: I know no spoiler talk in here, unless spoiler tags are used, but what I'm looking at now (and if Azure Dream pops in here, he could probably give some input), it's, uh... well, I shouldn't be puzzled with respect to the boss fights, but I'm not very satisfied with what they've chosen to do with some of them.

Who the what now?

I assume your questions are already answered, since Twitch auto-archived a majority of the stream.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #23

Song: Tropical Resort Act 1
Game: Sonic Colors
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani

As we're on the eve of the next big entry in the series, I thought it'd be appropriate to stop by the game that's more or less its direct predecessor.

I like Ohtani's quote in the OP because it's representative of the entire sound team's dedication to never resting on their laurels. As the series constantly reinvents itself, so too does its musical style. Sometimes it comes up sour, but other times we end up with something amazing, like Colors' various flavors of pop rock.

Hardly anyone ever calls Tropical Resort their favorite zone theme, but it's the one that embodies Colors best. It exudes this air of casual confidence, as though the music itself is saying "it's alright, just kick back and enjoy yourself". It isn't complicated or flashy, it just relaxes in its groove and carries you along.

Dario ff

Banned
Funny how Lost World seems to be the game that just seems to need some physics tweaks to work a lot better. That default walking speed probably needs to be 1.5x faster for the jumping to work well. Every time I see someone jump without holding the trigger the distance Sonic travels is pathetic. The problem is Sonic Team still goes with the same thing that made the Classic Levels a bit annoying in Generations, they barely leave you any space for error in your jumps, but now with the added bonus of death pits below (and they also expect you to ledge-grab a lot, which seems kinda wonky). But it doesn't seem to have a Mario-like running either, so you can't just hold it all the time. (Based from what I've seen)

The amount of extra objects, features, and the simplistic level design would be a lot more interesting and accessible for people to make stuff with. Making custom stages for Generations was in a whole another magnitude of work compared to what you could probably do here... And it sure as hell would convince me to see more custom levels to see how these mechanics work in more traditional stuff, rather than levels focused so hard on a stage gimmick.
Those circular rails on the grind rail level were a very interesting idea. The mechanic of the bonus level with the Black Cube platforms that destroyed themselves as well.

/still_salty_about_no_pc

Oh ho, I love this one. It's arguably in the shadow of Colour's most popular tracks but it's still a standout in the soundtrack to me.
It's a feel good track, the perfect entry track to be greeted with when you first speed through Act 1 of Tropical Resort and come to the realisation that this one isn't going to suck. It maintains a nice pace and vibe, it's upbeat but doesn't ascend into being too cheery, it's got a nice flow that doesn't go too fast or too slow, a very suitable opener to both the game itself and the soundtrack.

Sonic Colors has the best OST in a (modern) Sonic game IMO.

I want to agree just for Aquarium Park alone, I can't so quickly count out Unleashed's sheer variety that retains high quality throughout but Colours certainly has my favourite tracks of the modern OSTs.

Silky

Banned
Just finished up Sonic: Before the Sequel! Really good, well made Sonic fangame. Seriously impressed by it.

Now for ATS!

Razzer

A great track indeed. As mentioned above Colours has one of the best soundtracks of modern times, not just in Sonic really but in general. I don't think there are as many songs as in Unleashed, so it naturally doesn't have the sheer variety of the previous game, but the tracks it does have are sublime. The synth in this piece really fit both the carnival and space themes, and the tempo plus the key say that yes, this is going to be fast, it's going to be fun, and that the designers don't want you to be serious right now, it's time to relax and enjoy yourself. I'd say this is the most genuinely uplifting of the tracks on Colours OST. Aquarium park and Planet wisp are perhaps more beautiful, Sweet Mountain, Starlight carnival and Asteroid coaster more energetic, but this starts the whole thing off with a bang. A great track, 10/10.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I also think Unleashed was the best of the modern era soundtracks for reasons I've gone into in multiple threads. I'm tired. Not going to fish up posts right now, but soundtrack genre variation, live instruments and going in-depth with the cultural aspects with respect to what sorts of instruments should be used, melodic progression, interesting composition, and a multitude of other stuff that includes mood factors into it. I also feel like Unleashed's soundtrack is the most cohesive one out of the three.

Hardly anyone ever calls Tropical Resort their favorite zone theme, but it's the one that embodies Colors best. It exudes this air of casual confidence, as though the music itself is saying "it's alright, just kick back and enjoy yourself". It isn't complicated or flashy, it just relaxes in its groove and carries you along.
Yes, and extending onto that, given that the game starts you off in a level as opposed to a cutscene, the BGM builds off on that with Nishikawa and Yamada's guitar and bass guitar bringing you right into the action with a no-nonsense approach. There's this sort of interesting way that Colours's OST works in that you have something that casually brings you into the action at the beginning in Tropical Resort, peps you up in Sweet Mountain, that's something generally more fast-paced in Starlight Carnival (which meshes well with its overall level design), something that's slower-paced and more peaceful in Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp despite having a slight uptempo, something faster in Asteroid Coaster, and then a blazing speed to the finish with Terminal Velocity. In that, I do feel like Colours's OST meshes very well with its level design, and it helps to make the game even more cohesive.

Who the what now?

I assume your questions are already answered, since Twitch auto-archived a majority of the stream.
They certainly were. Thanks.

qq more

I might cancel my pre-order for Lost Worlds, mainly because the pre-order bonus sounds really bad now and I don't have much money left. I'll just spend it on Ace Attorney 5 and get Lost World a week after launch. The game honestly still sounds great outside of the
Final Boss, but hey, we all hated THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT from Generations too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Funny how Lost World seems to be the game that just seems to need some physics tweaks to work a lot better. That default walking speed probably needs to be 1.5x faster for the jumping to work well. Every time I see someone jump without holding the trigger the distance Sonic travels is pathetic. The problem is Sonic Team still goes with the same thing that made the Classic Levels a bit annoying in Generations, they barely leave you any space for error in your jumps, but now with the added bonus of death pits below (and they also expect you to ledge-grab a lot, which seems kinda wonky). But it doesn't seem to have a Mario-like running either, so you can't just hold it all the time. (Based from what I've seen)

The amount of extra objects, features, and the simplistic level design would be a lot more interesting and accessible for people to make stuff with. Making custom stages for Generations was in a whole another magnitude of work compared to what you could probably do here... And it sure as hell would convince me to see more custom levels to see how these mechanics work in more traditional stuff, rather than levels focused so hard on a stage gimmick.
Those circular rails on the grind rail level were a very interesting idea. The mechanic of the bonus level with the Black Cube platforms that destroyed themselves as well.

/still_salty_about_no_pc
You were completely cracking me up in the twitch chat yesterday. "I've been enjoying Ohtani... for 30 minutes."

I did notice that some levels focused on some sort of gimmick, and that's why I'd alluded that someone who joked about watching a stream of Sonic 4: Episode 3 was kind of on the spot a little. I'd like to see someone take the assets and actually do something traditional with them, but this isn't on PC or something modifiable at the moment, so...

The pits and some of the bubble chains kind of grind my gears a bit. The method of grabbing onto ledges doesn't seem completely cemented in yet, so it's something they could work on in the future. The lack of room for error in jumping was something I noticed that was plaguing the streamer's ability to jump and make it to the next platform despite him not really learning from his mistakes. I do still want to test out the walking speed and running speed myself to see how it feels overall.

I do think it's a decent starting point and it's something they shouldn't junk right now because they do have something interesting to use here. But I'm afraid they might prematurely change it up like they did with the Unleashed/Colours/Gens trio (because Generations did start using the mechanics a lot better, and it's unfortunate that they decided to change things up before they could cement it into something that's even more cohesive), and try to do something else.

Dario ff

Banned
You were completely cracking me up in the twitch chat yesterday. "I've been enjoying Ohtani... for 30 minutes."
:D

Ohtani is one of my favourites actually, and I certainly love the Windy Hill song on this game. I think it's the one song that I can associate with this game's identity so far very well.

I do think it's a decent starting point and it's something they shouldn't junk right now because they do have something interesting to use here. But I'm afraid they might prematurely change it up like they did with the Unleashed/Colours/Gens trio (because Generations did start using the mechanics a lot better, and it's unfortunate that they decided to change things up before they could cement it into something that's even more cohesive), and try to do something else.
I always thought boost was a hugely overpowered move (but I'm a huge fan of air boosting) and that it just crippled the design of the levels. They have a good idea with this moveset, but it looks like it could use a lot more of experimentation/testing with the values. I never really had that much trouble moving at low speeds in Generations, but then again I have like 400 hours clocked on the thing for obvious reasons. (too much playtesting)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Someone was streaming Sonic Lost World last night because he got it early.

As for SonicGAF streams, nah, I haven't streamed since the last time I played Final Fantasy VII for you all (so we're still at the Shiny Golden Wire of Hope and since I get some input lag, that part should be "fun"). I actually have the day off from the clinic tomorrow, so I could probably stream something then if some of you would like. I haven't tried capturing with Wii U yet, either.

I think when I'd wanted to stream Sweet Fuse for PSP, I was put off of doing further streams at the time because Twitch was having a ton of problems (esp. during League tourneys). I still don't think Twitch will be able to handle the influx of users who are streaming via Xbox One and PS4, while still supporting people who are already streaming.

:D

Ohtani is one of my favourites actually, and I certainly love the Windy Hill song on this game. I think it's the one song that I can associate with this game's identity so far very well.

I always thought boost was a hugely overpowered move (but I'm a huge fan of air boosting) and that it just crippled the design of the levels. They have a good idea with this moveset, but it looks like it could use a lot more of experimentation/testing with the values. I never really had that much trouble moving at low speeds in Generations, but then again I have like 400 hours clocked on the thing for obvious reasons. (too much playtesting)
Haha, I think almost everyone loves Ohtani. That Lava Mountain Act 2 theme was really good. Even if the guy kept failing, at least the music was good.

I like air boosting a lot, too. I'm split on boost. I like it, but I like it in moderation. Letting the user infinitely boost or boost around for most of the level probably wouldn't be the best idea because then it'd affect the level makeup, or the length of the level (going so fast that you need to make the level a little longer). Like, Lost World's addition to Sonic's moves and gameplay seems like a good start, but much like Unleashed's implementation of some gameplay characteristics, it's not polished just yet. So I do think that another game is necessary to polish these moves, even if I do wish that the previous trio had another chance to finally polish the speed and level design associated with the speed.

Apparently, according to Pietepiet, the 3DS version of Lost World features faster movement, which is interesting. Even then, Sonic still feels slippery, but it's faster than the Wii U version. Levels are apparently longer, too.

Huh. I didn't spot any Sonic games before, but Sonic R? Lmao, yes please.

I was expecting like 10 minutes for that speedrun though. Shit, it probably will be.

Regiruler

How many of you have X or Y?

I need more people for my friend's list but I have a rule in that I only add people to my friend's list if they have 2 or more similar interests, so naturally pokemon would be the first and sonic the second. I don't like adding people around a single axis when I can get more accurate with two axes.

I prefer Colors' soundtrack, but Unleashed's soundtrack is pretty clearly on another level from a compositional/variety standpoint. Shame that I associate most of the best themes with the absolute worst parts of the game. (Which is most of it.)

TheOGB

Banned

I need more people for my friend's list but I have a rule in that I only add people to my friend's list if they have 2 or more similar interests, so naturally pokemon would be the first and sonic the second. I don't like adding people around a single axis when I can get more accurate with two axes.
I'm probably picking it up tomorrow.

I am unreasonably excited. Like, that "calm before the storm" kind of hype. I just can't wait
to play dress up for hours

OMG Aero

I have Y.
4AseWDk.gif

I'm currently playing Sonic The Hedgehog 1. I suck at it, but I like the game.

What's the deal with Sonic 3? Which one to play when I get to the third one? Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, or Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Confusing. lol

What's the deal with Sonic 3? Which one to play when I get to the third one? Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, or Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Confusing. lol

Play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It combines both games into one monstrously great experience.

qq more

Go play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, it's really just a combination of both games with more features that both didn't have seperately.

qq more

Must add everyone available for simultaneous Prize Money O-Power Spirit Bomb

Yes! It caught on!

By the way, I'm about to redo that poll about the portable Sonic titles for several reasons (one of them is that it's been a year, and another is that SonicGAF has really grew). I'll be posting it soonish. Lurkers are welcome to vote too!

[23:14:05] <qqmore> shadowhog
[23:14:11] <qqmore> how the hell did you know schala [did something I'm editing out since this is apparently supposed to be secret]
[23:14:20] <ShadowHog> I kind of assumed?
[23:14:26] <qqmore> ...
[23:14:26] <qqmore> ...
[23:14:27] <qqmore> ...
[23:14:27] <qqmore> oh
[23:14:35] <ShadowHog> BECAUSE YOU JUST TOLD ME, FOX BOY
[23:14:51] <Culver> lol
[23:15:23] * Schala (cgiirc@6FD42D8.10F70CE0.3A52EF18.IP) has joined #SonicGAF
[23:15:30] <Schala> qq more's a liar and a thief
[23:15:32] * Schala (cgiirc@6FD42D8.10F70CE0.3A52EF18.IP) has left #SonicGAF
[23:16:04] <qqmore> :V
Tee hee

TheOGB

Banned
You strange people and your Twitter conversations

I finally finished Arkham City just now and... yeesh, Joker singing in the credits creeped me right the fuck out. o_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom