• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonQ

Just jumping in to say that Nert and a few of us who participate in Soundtrack of the Year threads were thinking of writing up a VGM Community Thread or a Soundtrack commentary thread, but most of us (read as: Nert, Ghaleon, and myself) got busy with life and couldn't work on it as much.

Yeah, I've been jumping between political jobs all year and will just settle into a permanent one in 2 weeks, so I want to do that in 2014. I'm barely going to have time for the Soundtrack Of The Year topic this year (AGAIN) after having prepared for it all year.

Man, I always get bummed out when people ignore how integral Hirokazu Yasuhara was to the Mega Drive games being as good as they were. Oshima is of course mentioned for actually designing the character, and Naka is always put forward, having been the lead programmer of the early games and the self styled "leader" of Sonic Team in the Saturn/Dreamcast days, but everyone always overlooks Yas. The Guardian's review of Lost World even mentions Mark Cerny over him!

You'd think being the director and lead game designer of the games would count for something, yet so many people constantly overlook him and his contributions. He's the real missing link yet he's so rarely brought up.

Razzer

Man, I always get bummed out when people ignore how integral Hirokazu Yasuhara was to the Mega Drive games being as good as they were. Oshima is of course mentioned for actually designing the character, and Naka is always put forward, having been the lead programmer of the early games and the self styled "leader" of Sonic Team in the Saturn/Dreamcast days, but everyone always overlooks Yas. The Guardian's review of Lost World even mentions Mark Cerny over him!

You'd think being the director and lead game designer of the games would count for something, yet so many people constantly overlook him and his contributions. He's the real missing link yet he's so rarely brought up.

Does he still work at Naughty Dog? Or was it him that moved to Nintendo not too long ago?He certainly seems to have a penchant for good level design.

Edit: Looked it up, seems he did go to Nintendo, but the only thing he's done is a Mario and Donkey Kong game. Also, his work at Naughty Dog was the hated Jak 2 and 3 plus the Uncharted series. Not the pinnacle of level design really, though I'd like to think he did Mar's temple and the other amazing platforming sections from those games that were so rare.

Does he still work at Naughty Dog? Or was it him that moved to Nintendo not too long ago?He certainly seems to have a penchant for good level design.

He was at Namco for a while after leaving Naughty Dog and is currently with Nintendo Software Technology, yeah. Wikipedia says he was a designer on Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move, but I don't have the game so I don't know if he was actually credited on it or if it's just "well he's with NST, slap him in the infobox."

BlackJace

This is why I think review threads should be banned. No matter what the game, no matter what the score, people act like idiots in them.

Circlejerking, to concern trolling, to confirmation bias, its all there.

Dario ff

Banned
My metascore prediction from yesterday is off by 1 point so far, I called a 62. :p

Like I said before, I was gonna stick by Destructoid's review. And it seems to do the job that I expected. Fair score. I recommend anyone interested in the game to read that one, although I don't agree with Jim on the level design.

yI7ZQJs.png

EDIT: 4 more reviews were added and my prediction stays correct! Game reviewers are such predictable things sometimes...

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #24

Song: Wonder World
Game: Sonic Lost World
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani

Spoilers: Some days I'm going to be really predictable.

To no one's surprise, Lost World is no exception to the series' tradition of changing musical styles completely from game to game. For the second time in a row there's no vocal theme, so it seems this is meant to serve as a substitute for both one of those and for the orchestral themes of Unleashed and Colors (an idea they nicked from NiGHTS to begin with). It falls somewhere in the middle, and as such what it ends up being is a fanfare, one of the old title screen jingles writ large. Ohtani shamelessly apes Galaxy's schitck a couple times, yes, but he never devolves into outright imitation; this is his distinctive spin on two different familiar concepts at once, much like how Sega's Mario arrangement albums won't ever be mistaken as coming out of Nintendo themselves.

Top work from one of the top men.

Because I'm probably never going to play it, someone tell me: do the Deadly Six die? Do they turn good? What happens?

basically I'm asking when do they become true shitty friends

Neither do I, but that'll change in the future I suppose. Nintendo's console are good to pick up at the end of a generation if that's why you're holding out.

If I had money to burn I'd be all over that thing right now, for both Sonic and Zelda (and 101 I guess, don't hate me JC), but alas I have the opposite of money to burn.

BlackJace

If I had money to burn I'd be all over that thing right now, for both Sonic and Zelda (and 101 I guess, don't hate me JC), but alas I have the opposite of money to burn.

Ah don't we all lol. School is terrible for being a gamer. I always have a stroke knowing that I have to pay $62.43 for a new game.

Tizoc

Apologies if I already asked this, but what's your current impression of Sonic LW? I'm getting the 3DS ver. in coming days along with Phoenix Wright DD.

Anth0ny

this forum becomes damn near unbearable close to new console launches.

everyone taking sides is fucking cringe worthy. i remember when I was in grade 5 trying to defend gamecube against all the ps2 fanboys.

then i grew up

november is going to be brutal. the NPD thread for November is going to be a blood bath.

BlackJace

Some dude literally just admitted to being invested in Sony yesterday in the NPD thread. Even asked what was wrong with that.

Mods should have an easy time this go around.

OMG Aero

this forum becomes damn near unbearable close to new console launches.
Neogaf is going to be incredible when the consoles are out. Each one is going to have like 10 threads for things and features that don't need threads and people are going to be banned left right and centre.
I feel sorry for whoever runs Neogaf Shitposts, they are going to have their work cut out.

Anth0ny

Neogaf is going to be incredible when the consoles are out. Each one is going to have like 10 threads for things and features that don't need threads and people are going to be banned left right and centre.
I feel sorry for whoever runs Neogaf Shitposts, they are going to have their work cut out.

It's just so weird because I've never been able to associate with console "fanboys". My first console was a Genesis. My neighbour had a Super Nintendo. When I saw and played that thing, my reaction was not "Welllllllllll, I have Sawniccccccc supor nitnendo graphix sux blast processing boi" it was "holy crap Super Nintendo is AMAZING look at those graphics damn I need this for Christmas dad OMG"

Seems like on GAF people pick sides, and if you're on one side, you have to HATE the other side, cause they're the bad guys.

qq more

hey

new games suck ALRIGHT

except dark souls. and galaxy 1/2.

and marvel

and gtav

and brawl

and colors

It's just so weird because I've never been able to associate with console "fanboys". My first console was a Genesis. My neighbour had a Super Nintendo. When I saw and played that thing, my reaction was not "Welllllllllll, I have Sawniccccccc supor nitnendo graphix sux blast processing boi" it was "holy crap Super Nintendo is AMAZING look at those graphics damn I need this for Christmas dad OMG"

Seems like on GAF people pick sides, and if you're on one side, you have to HATE the other side, cause they're the bad guys.

Yeah same here. I kept bugging my parents to buy me a SNES until they finally get me one... in 1997... lol I wasn't aware of the N64's existence til 3rd grade or something.

Genesis was my first system, NES was second, Game Boy was my third, Game Gear was my fourth and SNES was my fifth. Unless you wanna count the Sega CD Add-on...

The NES was my first system.

Which surprised when I found out it came out several years before I was born.

Guess my parents bought it when it was the hot new thing or whatever.

Razzer

I got a Mega Drive and a SNES before I was born because my Dad still played games then, I had a playstation by like 2 years old and a dreamcast soon after. I essentially played consoles from 3 generations concurrently from the age of 4-10 years old. N64 and PS2 and Xbox are all included in that time too. Looking back it is weird that I would play Virtua Tennis, Sonic 2 and Adventure, Crash Bandicoot and Banjo-Kazooie all in one day back then. I didn't know they were so different so I had the combined gaming childhood of many people lol.

Noi

This is why I think review threads should be banned. No matter what the game, no matter what the score, people act like idiots in them.

On the flipside, I'd rather all that be contained in the review thread than shit up the actual OT. If the game is bad, people will be talking about it there anyway but at least they'll have (maybe) played the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I don't like review threads either, and ShockingAlberto did warn me that the thread would be prone to trolling prior to making it. But I made the thread to keep that stuff in there to not clog up the OT for people who are actually playing the game and want to discuss it. In the end, I probably did make the right judgement. So while review threads are irritating to read at times, I feel like they're necessary to some extent.

Edit: Augh, Noi. Stealing my post.

Yeah, I've been jumping between political jobs all year and will just settle into a permanent one in 2 weeks, so I want to do that in 2014. I'm barely going to have time for the Soundtrack Of The Year topic this year (AGAIN) after having prepared for it all year.
Oooh, I haven't seen you in a long time. I hope you're doing well, and good luck at your next job. :)

If you guys need help with the Soundtrack of the Year thread, let me know.

Going to be honest, the reviews, mixed with the questionable stuff I saw from that one stream has pretty much turned me off of the game, since both confirmed pretty much every concern/fear I had for the game since it's reveal. I guess it's a good thing I waited instead of splurging on a Wii U and inevitably disappointing myself.

Love how they kept the spring transitions in from the Wii U, but because of hardware limitations they're just barren loading screens as Sonic floats in the air.

Razzer

NTom64's streaming the 3DS version if people are curious about it.

It's... it's... uh, something.
Dumps.

This looks really, really bad. Even if it is just the levels he's on right now, it looks absolutely horrendus to control.

Edit: Welp, PSA: don't get the 3DS version, like, ever. If this is anything to go by it's absolute garbage.

I'm calling it in now you guys, a ban on gyro controls.

We have analog sticks, we can do this ourselves. You are not making the game more immersive and other buzzwords with this control method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom