• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's, uh... huh.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #25

Song: The ARK
Game: Shadow the Hedgehog
Composers: Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani

And now for something completely different. Shadow's a gritty game with gritty music, neither of which worked out well on a grand scale, but which have interesting points dotted throughout. This track's mostly one of Senoue's usual riff mashups (neither unusually bad nor exceptional), but you can tell Ohtani was involved, especially if you compare it to his Rush Adventure work from a couple years later. It's too bad there wasn't more of this, because even something as simple as heavily abusing a single vocal sample helps distract from the fact that the underlying music just isn't that good.

Eh... it's not terrible, but it's not good either. It's mediocre.

RobbieNick

He's a Satam character?

Yeah. He was in SatAm
as Sonic's roboticized dog.

Other Sonic 254 spoilers

Bunnie's working for Eggman (Traitor revealed?)

Antoine gets some kind of spin dash move using his sword blades.

Sonic's going feral (Slowly turning into Werehog?)

SegaSonic blob feet are in. No more toes.

UGH I'm reviewing Sonic Lost World 3DS for Segabits when it finally hits America, but the more I see of it in game play videos, the more I'm turned off. It looks like shit.

Sciz

What's the deal with them starting
an adaptation of Unleashed? Surely you'd think Sega would want them doing Lost World.

I'm fairly certain that Sega gave up on demanding full blown adaptations concurrent with a game's release because Sonic Adventure turned out to be a huge disaster that damaged the quality of the series, even by the standards of the time. Comic book production cycles just don't play well with that sort of thing on a large scale when you're trying to run an ongoing series at the same time. So they do short promotional one-offs instead and let the game content be integrated later on, when it can be done organically (I believe Orbot and Cubot showing up a year after Colors is the current speed record, and that only happened because they're completely ancillary).

Plus they don't actually give Archie that much material ahead of time, so the staff have to play the games for the details like the rest of us.

edit: Oh, and for Shadow Hog, a little word of god:
Ian Flynn said:
No. I'm not allowed to use "Mobius."

Oooh right, OK. I saw that Sonic Special thing on the app's store and I was getting confused, took me a while to figure out it's basically a kid's magazine or whatever.

Sciz

Oooh right, OK. I saw that Sonic Special thing on the app's store and I was getting confused, took me a while to figure out it's basically a kid's magazine or whatever.

Essentially. It's a mix of reprints, staff interviews, character bios, and other miscellany. Seems like that's where they've shuffled all the promotional content to as well, thankfully.

RobbieNick

They can do late adaptions. Two years ago, they did an adaption of the old "Tails Adventure" Game Gear game in Sonic Universe.

Now with the world breaking apart and a purple glow underneath, it's obvious they are heading in the direction of Sonic Unleashed. In fact, the next saga after "Countdown to Chaos" is called "The World Adventure" and what was Sonic Unleashed called in Japan? Sonic World Adventure.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't dislike Chip.

Then again, I played the game in Japanese for the most part so I didn't get to hear "Saaaaaawwwwniiiiiiiiic" or whatever else Chip said in English. But, like, I love Unleashed, so I might be a little blind to some of the characterization in that game. I love Unleashed's NPCs so much.

You'd think the rather large cast of the Sonic comic would negate the need to bring in Chip, so hopefully that doesn't happen.

Who?

Oh the purple thing in Unleashed that was completely unnecessary.

I don't dislike Chip.

Then again, I played the game in Japanese for the most part so I didn't get to hear "Saaaaaawwwwniiiiiiiiic" or whatever else Chip said in English. But, like, I love Unleashed, so I might be a little blind to some of the characterization in that game. I love Unleashed's NPCs so much.

Unleashed has a lot of charm.

I want to go on another world adventure.

:/

I remember not liking how everything with Chip turned out at the end of the game, yet I can't quite recall what exactly happened.
Chip himself, he's pretty inoffensive but that repeated "Saaaaaawwwwniiiiiiiiic" line was pretty annoying. Then again this is the same game with WOOOOO! FEELING GOOD! WOOOO! so it's not exactly alone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nocturnowl, how's your journey through Sonic's Lost World going? Are there similar voice clips?

I've read a bit of your impressions, and from what I can gather, you feel like the game's okay, but has issues?

Unleashed has a lot of charm.

I want to go on another world adventure.

:/
A few years ago, I used to joke that Sonic Unleashed did towns and sidequests better than FF13.

Sciz

You'd think the rather large cast of the Sonic comic would negate the need to bring in Chip, so hopefully that doesn't happen.

Hard to say, since this isn't likely to be a straight adaptation. Wouldn't be too surprised if he's taking the direction of the planet breaking up due to the flawed reconstruction and the whole Light/Dark Gaia aspect is left out.

Mostly I'm curious to see what, if anything, he makes out of Professor Pickle or the Night of the Werehog ghost trio.

Nocturnowl, how's your journey through Sonic's Lost World going? Are there similar voice clips?

I've read a bit of your impressions, and from what I can gather, you feel like the game's okay, but has issues?

I've actually got a write up ready, I did it last night but i'm not sure how well put together it is seeing as I was kinda woozy by the end of it as my annual super cold turned up yesterday.
Tomorrow I should be back in working condition so I'll give it a bit more playtime and iron out my current thoughts.

But if you want something to go on for now, it's got more good than bad, while not as strong as Colours or Generations there's a lot to like in here, just prepare for some frustrating points as the game draws on which makes the game pretty uneven, the homing attack in particular is awkwardly implemented as are most wisps. I'd like to see another game use this approach to gameplay (at the same time a final Boost game would also serve me just fine).

You should get the Mario and Sonic Olympic games and go on a very slow world adventure where you reach a new destination every two years.

I can't look at those games ever since I saw footage of Mario beating Sonic in the 100m dash.

I mean...

That is just..

I can't..

That is bullshit.

Well, I'm a horrible person.

I go out to get next year's parking permit (because the seller never gave me a residential one, forcing me into the visitors' spots). I call home to report back on the status of that. We also discuss me coming over for dinner, while Mom tells me about how my brother has a toe infection.

I get a call later asking me what I want from a restaurant we almost never eat in at but do take-out from a decent amount - although it takes me a while to get it because I keep being called while I'm trying to make it to the UPS Store before they close (turns out they were closed for remodeling anyway, so I wasted time there). I put two and two together and realize they want to eat at home. I don't really have much reason to do that; I don't feel like I have anything left there since moving out last month. Not to mention, I'm not a huge fan of the restaurant in question, so, I decline; it just doesn't seem like it's worth the trip over, so they can save some money. Mom gets really insulted at this. I don't blame her at all, but don't change my mind back either.

Then, hours later, I remember the toe infection, and suddenly realize why they're eating in.

So, yeah, I feel pretty awful about that. Next phone call to the house is going to be very awkward.

I dunno, though. I don't really like visiting my old house anymore. It just feels so... empty now that all the things I had had in there are over here where I'm typing this post. I know there's family there, but... :\

I don't think the situation warrants you being a horrible person.
If you feel that bad about it you could phone back with an apology sooner rather than later explaining your slight misunderstanding of the situation ? though I don't know what your relationship with your family is like so it's kind of hard to gauge things from here.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just visit your family's place impromptu and apologize. Or merely call and apologize, and suggest another time that you all can have dinner together. That's what I'd probably do.

Either way, visiting your family's place once a month at least after moving out for dinner or something would be kind of nice.

---------

I've actually got a write up ready, I did it last night but i'm not sure how well put together it is seeing as I was kinda woozy by the end of it as my annual super cold turned up yesterday.
Tomorrow I should be back in working condition so I'll give it a bit more playtime and iron out my current thoughts.

But if you want something to go on for now, it's got more good than bad, while not as strong as Colours or Generations there's a lot to like in here, just prepare for some frustrating points as the game draws on which makes the game pretty uneven, the homing attack in particular is awkwardly implemented as are most wisps. I'd like to see another game use this approach to gameplay (at the same time a final Boost game would also serve me just fine).
Aw, I hope you feel better soon. It's that time of year when I get sinus infections, myself. Though I did catch a cold that took me out of commission for a week.

And thanks. That sounds like what Lost world probably is.

PS: JC bringing real talk in the review thread. Whew.

Razzer

That's, uh... huh.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #25

Song: The ARK
Game: Shadow the Hedgehog
Composers: Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani

It's like a bad remix of Final Rush/Chase mashed together! Well not that bad but not great. Certainly I prefer the original tunes that it is based off. The actual melody is ok, but the instruments just seem odd to me, and some of the extra effects being played over the top are irritating. The lyrics are also like Rush gone wrong. Mediocre is how I would describe it also.

Razzer

I'd like a JRPG that has a very different OST honestly. Orchestral is nice but nearly all of them do that. Try something unique like TWEWY or Persona (Disclaimer: I haven't played Persona or listened to much but I assume it counts) Imagine a JRPG with a very electronica inspired soundtrack. Thumping techno beats during battles, chilled drum'n'bass in the typical beautiful caves. Stuff like that.

I'd like a JRPG that has a very different OST honestly. Orchestral is nice but nearly all of them do that. Try something unique like TWEWY or Persona (Disclaimer: I haven't played Persona or listened to much but I assume it counts) Imagine a JRPG with a very electronica inspired soundtrack. Thumping techno beats during battles, chilled drum'n'bass in the typical beautiful caves. Stuff like that.

You should check out Parasite Eve for the PS1.

Razzer

And if you have a PSP/Vita, don't miss out on the spin-off, The 3rd Birthday. Its a very unique game with a story you won't soon forget.

fry_looking_squint.jpg

Non-orchestral RPG soundtracks, huh? Well...

Panzer Dragoon Saga's soundtrack wasn't orchestral. I mean, it was at points, but most of it was... very... ethnic sounding, for lack of better terms to describe it.

Also, didn't Mega Man X: Command Mission use a lot of rock music (much like the rest of the series)? Or there's Mega Man Battle Network, which isn't really very orchestral.

There's also Lowtax's RPG.

Of course, there's one RPG particularly relevant to this community which uses music about as far from orchestral as you can get. You're quite familiar with its music. You're probably thinking of it right now. Not gonna name it, but I know you know. You know.

Of course, there's one RPG particularly relevant to this community which uses music about as far from orchestral as you can get. You're quite familiar with its music. You're probably thinking of it right now. Not gonna name it, but I know you know. You know.

No,

Anything but that.

OMG Aero

I can't let a JRPG music discussion go by without mentioning Blue Dragon. I can't remember what the rest of that games music is like so it probably is orchestral, but the one track I do remember is incredible and not orchestral.
Every time I hear that I want to go back and play that game since I stopped like half way through but considering that music is the only thing I remember about it, it's probably not a good game.

If Robotnik can outrun Sonic on foot on a regular basis, Mario's got a fair shot at it.
Hey, there's a good reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom