• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, gyro controls worked pretty well for aiming in 3DS games... although mostly in the sense that it'd be the fine-tuning while the analog stick would be the coarse-tuning.

You know why Sonic 3 and Knuckles were so good? Because they built on Sonic 2, which built on Sonic 1's foundations.

I feel like every other Sonic game just starts over and disregard most of the past's mistakes and lessons. Some of them work better than others, but who cares because the next one is gonna play nothing like it. Every new installment fixing and breaking a hundred new things, and the franchise seems like its gonna be permanently stuck in this mixed bag of various mechanics and ideas. Scrambling for an identity, before it tosses it away for a new one tomorrow.

I dunno, gyro controls worked pretty well for aiming in 3DS games... although mostly in the sense that it'd be the fine-tuning while the analog stick would be the coarse-tuning.

Luiginary Ball in Dream Team Bros is one of the few times i've actually found it work quite well, unfortunately the game still shit the bed on gyro controls later on thus losing any good will gained.

Christ, Colors was a better shoutout to the Galaxy games than Lost World, and most of the similarities between Colors and Galaxy weren't even intentional.

I'm still getting the 3DS version.

Because... uh... well, I paid it off already. No it's not because I'm a hard M shut up Noi

I'm actually really morbidly curious about the 3DS version, especially since I did enjoy the demo, though it seems that things get pretty stupid afterwards. I'd rather spend $40 or so out of curiosity than the price of a Wii U + the console version of the game.

The JP version comes out next week, right? I might buy it from the JP eShop.

Edit: On second thought, fuck it. Not going to bother. >__>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll admit that I'm curious about the 3DS version, too. I just can't believe the controls and mechanics are that... bad.

oh lord this final boss what how is

That's only provided that they implement the gyro controls well, though. Luigi's Mansion 2, Ocarina of Time, etc. had decent implementation of gyro controls. This... doesn't seem to. It's a shame, really. I thought Pietepiet was joking about having to need a swivel chair for the special stages.

You know why Sonic 3 and Knuckles were so good? Because they built on Sonic 2, which built on Sonic 1's foundations.

I feel like every other Sonic game just starts over and disregard most of the past's mistakes and lessons. Some of them work better than others, but who cares because the next one is gonna play nothing like it. Every new installment fixing and breaking a hundred new things, and the franchise seems like its gonna be permanently stuck in this mixed bag of various mechanics and ideas. Scrambling for an identity, before it tosses it away for a new one tomorrow.
They seemed to have the right idea for the previous trio of games, though. Colours and Generations built on Unleashed's foundations. I assumed they'd keep doing it because it's a formula that people genuinely liked. It was weird that they decided to change it up when it wasn't broken. I mean, there's some good ideas in Lost World, but it's just strange that they tossed most stuff aside in the previous three games for something completely new. Hm.

Noi

I think it's that line in Sterling's review about "could be the beginning of something great" that rubs me the wrong way the most. That sentiment is fine and all, but how many times have we seen "the beginning of something great" with Sonic? Shouldn't we already be there?

I'm a bit tired of shelling out money for the beginning of something great instead of just something that should already be great.

I think it's that line in Sterling's review about "could be the beginning of something great" that rubs me the wrong way the most. That sentiment is fine and all, but how many times have we seen "the beginning of something great" with Sonic? Shouldn't we already be there?

I'm a bit tired of shelling out money for the beginning of something great instead of just something that should already be great.

That's for a separate article, really. I think it's one thing for a review to say "these are solid building blocks perhaps not best utilised in this game", but another to say "and this keeps happening ergo don't buy this game". Kinda turns into a review of the franchise as opposed to the game, which is by the by (and always incredibly annoying).

But yeah, the sentiment's certainly valid. IDK. Maybe they need more than 2 years to make Sonic games. Refinement is necessary, clearly.

Noi

That's for a separate article, really. I think it's one thing for a review to say "these are solid building blocks perhaps not best utilised in this game", but another to say "and this keeps happening ergo don't buy this game". Kinda turns into a review of the franchise as opposed to the game, which is by the by (and always incredibly annoying).

But yeah, the sentiment's certainly valid. IDK. Maybe they need more than 2 years to make Sonic games. Refinement is necessary, clearly.

Oh yeah, I don't necessarily mean including that in his review. Just an observation from someone on the consumer side as something that's happened with the Sonic franchise on more than one occasion.

I don't particularly care for a lot of the rationalization of the bad reviews though. People are complaining about some people being "jaded older fans that wanted more boost to win gameplay" as if that's a bad thing. It's yet another perspective to consider for a review, which is something that's kind of been lost to the need to have every review have a high score for that metacritic rating.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why didn't anyone tell me Rhythm Thief is an Ohtani/Hataya tag team
I thought I did! :O

Composed by Tomoya Ohtani, Takahito Eguchi, Naofumi Hataya, Tomoko Sasaki, Kenichi Tokoi, Mariko Nanba
Arranged by Tomoya Ohtani, Takahito Eguchi, Naofumi Hataya, Takeshi Watanabe, Yutaka Minobe, Hideaki Kobayashi, Tomoko Sasaki, Mariko Nanba

Oh yeah, I don't necessarily mean including that in his review. Just an observation from someone on the consumer side as something that's happened with the Sonic franchise on more than one occasion.

I don't particularly care for a lot of the rationalization of the bad reviews though. People are complaining about some people being "jaded older fans that wanted more boost to win gameplay" as if that's a bad thing. It's yet another perspective to consider for a review, which is something that's kind of been lost to the need to have every review have a high score for that metacritic rating.

I'm sorta disillusioned with Sonic reviews anyway, when a lot of the more negative ones dismiss titles like Generations which I know I liked and are good directions for the series.

Actually, make that reviews in general. If GTA is so good, why haven't I touched in weeks?

Noi

I'm sorta disillusioned with Sonic reviews anyway, when a lot of the more negative ones dismiss titles like Generations which I know I liked and are good directions for the series.

This is unfortunately done even by non-reviewers. The review thread is evidence enough of that.

I'd quote specific dumb posts but Schala would get mad at me. They aren't hard to find though.

OMG Aero

This looks really, really bad. Even if it is just the levels he's on right now, it looks absolutely horrendus to control.

Edit: Welp, PSA: don't get the 3DS version, like, ever. If this is anything to go by it's absolute garbage.
Does this apply for people who liked Generations 3DS? Because I enjoyed that game despite the faults it had.

Well to be fair, before Lost World this is what they were doing.
They started with a new style of gameplay in Sonic Unleashed which they built upon in Colours and Generations.

Sciz

I've said this before, but Colors is really, really the Sonic CD to Unleashed's Sonic 1. It starts with a lot of the same ideas, but they play almost nothing alike, and Generations ignored its design choices entirely as a concurrently developed game.

Lost World is Chaotix with a budget.

TheOGB

Banned
I've said this before, but Colors is really, really the Sonic CD to Unleashed's Sonic 1. It starts with a lot of the same ideas, but they play almost nothing alike, and Generations ignored its design choices entirely as a concurrently developed game.

When I made the comparison with my friend I said Lost World was what'd happen if they made a sequel to CD instead of 2.

I thought Generations was gonna be the future. :(

They got that contract with Nintendo I think, so they'll be one more Sonic game that builds on Lost World.

And the PS4/Xbone game will be completely different, mixed reception, "a promising start of something great!", etc

RobbieNick

A comic spoiler from Sonic #254. A Satam character gets a major change.

Muttski (formerly Sonic's pet dog) is now a walking, talking Mobian.

qq more

oh it sold 20k?

well... thats... 5 timesm ore than japan's sales... haha :).... :(

(im part of the problem, i dont even own the game yet)

FYC

Banned
The few, the proud, the 20k who bought Wonderful 101 :D

I just don't feel pain anymore :D

bg9VohH.png

Hope is comin' to a crawl and sadness fills the air. One hundred rangers hide it all behind an iron stare. No one asks what they sacrifice, no, no one minds. But that won't hold them back from saving all of humankind.

Razzer

Does this apply for people who liked Generations 3DS? Because I enjoyed that game despite the faults it had.

Obviously I only have what I saw to go on, but I saw at least half an hour and 3 levels plus a boss fight... they were all really bad. It used gyro controls that frankly didn't work. Whether the main stages are better I can't say but they didn't look all that fun either tbh. Definitely a big difference in quality between Generations 3DS and this.

A jumps/homing attacks
B stomps/crouches/slides
X boosts/spin dashes
Y does jack shit unless you have a Wisp, a special power-up, or the rings are set to let you light dash

LB and RB quick step
LT and RT drift

That's everything

qq more

A jumps/homing attacks
B stomps/crouches/slides
X boosts/spin dashes
Y does jack shit unless you have a Wisp, a special power-up, or the rings are set to let you light dash

LB and RB quick step
LT and RT drift

That's everything

Thanks! Time to replay Generations!

If you're gonna use a regular Dinput controller I recommend using x360ce (emulates an Xbox 360 controller) anyway because this game has bad support for dinput controllers, like that stupid quickstep bug. If using keyboard... god help you.

Also, Sonic has learned to reach for the stars.

I'm using a bluetooth device to use the Wii U GamePad Pro. Unfortunately the program that runs the GamePad Pro reads the controller as a keyboard instead of gamepad, so I have to assign keys to the analog... which means, it won't be all that accurate. But it should be alright as I've done this before. I don't have a proper adapter for the GamePad Pro yet.

That sounds so counterproductive. Shame the developers seem so backwards.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Here's the stream archive of Sonic Lost World 3DS: http://www.twitch.tv/hellfirecomms/b/471248914?t=18m53s

I bought it because I liked the demo. I haven't played it yet, though. I might play a bunch of it next month because I just realized that there really isn't much coming out for me in the next few months.

And for people who keep up to date on LPs, I know someone's planning on doing it. ChipCheezum was saying that he'd like to do an LP for it (and he's recording gameplay ahead of time), particularly because he thought it was better than Bayonetta.

Wow, that's... strange. Haha. Well, either way, I think a lot of the changes done so far are probably for the best. A little bummed out that the Geoffrey storyline got chewed out since I think they had something interesting going on with that, but there's nothing you can do about that now.

Oh my.

qq more

Man, you hit the nail on the head on that. It's so baffling Sonic 4 doesn't try to improve on what Sonic 3 had but instead takes Sonic Rush's engine (which is not designed for the classic games) and try to mimic Sonic 1 & 2 nostalgia. Holy shit was Sonic 4 so wrong.

Anth0ny

0KpdsWg.gif

the GAF demo thread was one of the most painful GAF threads I've ever read. the amount of "had this game pre-ordered, played the demo, just cancelled my pre-order" posts just made me wanna burn this mutha fucka down

Anth0ny

The impression I got from that thread is that learning curves turn people off quick.

GAF complains about hand holding in modern games, milking of IPs, overblown tutorials...

Wonderful 101 is the fucking antithesis of all those things. It's the dream game for all complainers on this board, the same people who claim Dark Souls is god's gift to gaming. and what does it sell?

rWnK4oS.gif

Noi

About the same as every other non-advertised game by Platinum?

W101 went to join it's big brother God Hand in purgatory

Spinluck

the GAF demo thread was one of the most painful GAF threads I've ever read. the amount of "had this game pre-ordered, played the demo, just cancelled my pre-order" posts just made me wanna burn this mutha fucka down

This kind of stuff doesn't bother me anymore, same with "lol Sonic Cycle" drive by post. I just don't feel the need to tolerate ignorance anymore. If I like it, I like, and sometimes.. especially nowadays; that's good enough for me.

The impression I got from that thread is that learning curves turn people off quick.
I admittedly got turned off as well due the learning curve, but my trust in Platinum won out and the game eventually 'clicked' with me by the time I reached the 4th mission.

While at first I figured it'd have gone down better if it controlled closer to Bayonetta, by the time you're micro-managing all of your units for different level attacks and so on, the design decisions make complete sense. One of the few times the first impression for a game was completely different to my final one.

GAF complains about hand holding in modern games, milking of IPs, overblown tutorials...

Wonderful 101 is the fucking antithesis of all those things. It's the dream game for all complainers on this board, the same people who claim Dark Souls is god's gift to gaming. and what does it sell?

rWnK4oS.gif

On some level I think launching it so close to Pikmin 3 was a mistake. The games are nothing alike, but at a glance they really look very similar.

Sciz

That's, uh... huh.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #25

Song: The ARK
Game: Shadow the Hedgehog
Composers: Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani

And now for something completely different. Shadow's a gritty game with gritty music, neither of which worked out well on a grand scale, but which have interesting points dotted throughout. This track's mostly one of Senoue's usual riff mashups (neither unusually bad nor exceptional), but you can tell Ohtani was involved, especially if you compare it to his Rush Adventure work from a couple years later. It's too bad there wasn't more of this, because even something as simple as heavily abusing a single vocal sample helps distract from the fact that the underlying music just isn't that good.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #25

Song: The ARK
Game: Shadow the Hedgehog
Composers: Jun Senoue and Tomoya Ohtani

And now for something completely different. Shadow's a gritty game with gritty music, neither of which worked out well on a grand scale, but which have interesting points dotted throughout. This track's mostly one of Senoue's usual riff mashups (neither unusually bad nor exceptional), but you can tell Ohtani was involved, especially if you compare it to his Rush Adventure work from a couple years later. It's too bad there wasn't more of this, because even something as simple as heavily abusing a single vocal sample helps distract from the fact that the underlying music just isn't that good.

I recall someone (might have been a comment on a YT video or something) saying that most of the level themes from Shadow save for Westopolis are pretty much glorified jingles. Repetitive, dull melodies with some fluff thrown on top to hide just how shallow the compositions are.

That being said, I don't hate it, but it's little more than background noise to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom