• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

I'm hardly going to blame them for using reusing the same music for the exact same stage setting.
A far better point to make would be why the hell there's this water backdrop stage sitting in the depths of a volcanic world, should've just given the background a red hue going by other asset reuse.

This made me think that the game was unfinished and thrown together with what they had at the last second. The completely random nature and order of the stage themes really feels like they were aiming for something bigger but didn't have the time to finish it up. Especially Lava Mountain 2 which clearly should take place in Tropical Coast.
See also: the random single candy level, which they tried to cover up by making a joke out of the name and adding the little S to Desert

Regiruler

I will hand it to the game that I like how it implements the time attack mode. In previous games it was fairly tacked on, but it's more easily accessible now and the rank you get from it is shown on world map as well as the map select screen.

yep i think sega should've delayed Lost World, the 2nd half of the game is a serious mix bag but more bullshit sided

Outside of Frozen Factory Zone in general (although act 4 was great), I don't agree. Outside of Lava Moutain Zone act 1 being on the hard side (which is somewhat deserved as
they function as a harder boss battles
), and act 3 being somewhat poorly managed, it was fine.
The asset recycling only really bothers me in LMZ act 2.

Just play through some old levels a bit to rack up some lives and keep a steady supply, and you should be fine.

qq more

My problem isn't that it's difficult, my problem it's difficult for the wrong reasons at times. The game doesn't communicate properly with the player when it comes to that.

"Oh look platforming, oh look a dragon roaring- OH GOD IT BROKE THE PLATFORMS BY ROARING" there was no clear warning that was gonna happen. Things like this happens constantly.

Honestly, I'm okay with difficult levels as long as the deaths are fair, that is why I love Mega Man.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Again, no one in this thread is saying that the game is too hard and that that is the reason why it's divisive. It's moreso the level design and overall game design and lack of cohesion with it.

I don't find the game really difficult because I haven't ever had to farm lives at all, as I haven't died as much as I'd expected to.

Play Ace Attorney 5! I don't think I've seen you post about it yet.
I said I finished it earlier on in the thread. I enjoyed it a lot. Very briefly since I don't really have time to write up a long post for it:
+soundtrack of the year calibre
+models are excellent replications of the original sprites, very emotive
+carries its narrative themes of fear and trust so much better than previous AA games
+Athena is one of the better female characters to be written in years in a video game
+Last villain breakdown was great
+I don't outright hate any cases, even the second one which dragged
+I'm a sucker for school-setting stuff, so I actually did like Case 3 when other people thought it dragged
+Both Case 4 and 5 were addictive as hell
+Best Case 1 of the series, imo

o I wish the Mood Matrix had a little more depth, and it only really became something interesting in the very last case.

-lack of scene examination, which is something I missed (so no spraying with luminol, etc.)
-voice acting is subpar; no one wants to hear Wendee Lee in effing everything anymore, and Sam Riegel is terrible as Phoenix Wright and always has been ever since he was cast in the role
-can't examine items in your court record
-easiest Phoenix Wright game by far because they basically spoonfeed you the answers

Probably forgot some stuff, but that's what I mostly remember from last week.

The Wii U version is way more guilty of trying to be a Mario game than the 3DS version is, IMO. Also, sorry if I mislead you into buying this with my 3DS version impressions, which were generally positive...

[EDIT] Also, you guys say what you want about Dimps, but at least they kept the franchise afloat with the GBA and DS games (which I still think are very good Sonic games) while Sonic Team was fucking around with things like Shadow and '06.
This is true. At least their offerings on the portables were miles better than what Sonic Team was releasing at the same time on consoles.

And nah, don't worry about it. Even if your impressions weren't positive, I still would've gotten the game anyway. I don't usually like to make final assumptions on games I haven't played unless they make the annual kusoge of the year list in Japan. But for sure, both versions of the games can be Mario-esque at times.

Speaking of which, I noticed スライ・クーパー コレクション - Sly Cooper Collection as an honourable mention on a kusoge of the year list from 2011. レッド シーズ プロファイル (Red Seeds Profile) was also an honourable mention on a kusoge of the year list from 2010. Last Rebellion won the Kusoge of the Year for 2010. Actually, there are quite a few games on these lists that were voted as runner-ups or winners that actually got localized here. >.>

Noi

Man, I know Sly 2 is an awful game, but I can't in good faith ever put that collection as an honorable mention for Kusoge of the year in a year where games like Duke Nukem Forever, L.A. Noire, Dragon Age II, the TT Jurrasic Park game and
Skyward Sword
came out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well.

NhhDtKd.png

Kusoge of the Year: The Game of Life: Happy Family (Wii)
Runners Up: Wizardry: Town of Imprisoned Spirits (PS3), Welcome to Pia Carrot!!4 ~Summer Memory~ (X360), code_18 (X360), Gladiator VS (PS3), Matching Maker 4 (PS3), Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi (PS360).
Honourable Mentions: Sly Cooper Collection (PS3), Mindjack (PS360), Dead Island (PS360)

Japan did not get Duke Nukem Forever until 2012, and they classified it as a Runner Up to Kusoge of the Year along with Tokitowa and Heavy Fire: Afghanistan. Kusoge of the Year 2012 was Storm of the Pacific Ocean ~Battleship Yamato, Sortie at Dawn!~.

Edit: Portable titles are on a separate list.

Noi

Daaamn, the sequel to Wizardry: Tower of Lost Souls was that bad? I'm somewhat glad we didn't get it now, despite having a good time with it's prequel.

Noi

I beat PoP Warrior Within yesterday on Hard mode. I started a normal playthrough immediately after and finished it today. Now I'm starting an easy mode run. None of these runs have been fun at all.

What am I doing with my life

Tizoc

Again, no one in this thread is saying that the game is too hard and that that is the reason why it's divisive. It's moreso the level design and overall game design and lack of cohesion with it.
I spent 15 fucking minutes just trying to finish World 2-1 in LW 3DS, the fucking bottomless pits- WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BOTTOMLESS PITS IN THE 2ND FUCKING WORLD?!
OK granted I disabled the Hints and back in the day we'd figure it out for ourselves, but the structure and how the stage design is made is fucking irritating. Not to mention it took me a while to figure out that the Blue planet Wisp can jump high but controlling the blast thing was a bitch for whatever ridiculous reason.

I'm gonna try to beat it again later today and I believe I'll be able to finish it without losing a life, if not only a handful, but the stages are unnecessarily long.

I said I finished it earlier on in the thread. I enjoyed it a lot. Very briefly since I don't really have time to write up a long post for it:
+soundtrack of the year calibre
+models are excellent replications of the original sprites, very emotive
+carries its narrative themes of fear and trust so much better than previous AA games
+Athena is one of the better female characters to be written in years in a video game
+Last villain breakdown was great
+I don't outright hate any cases, even the second one which dragged
+I'm a sucker for school-setting stuff, so I actually did like Case 3 when other people thought it dragged
+Both Case 4 and 5 were addictive as hell
+Best Case 1 of the series, imo

o I wish the Mood Matrix had a little more depth, and it only really became something interesting in the very last case.

-lack of scene examination, which is something I missed (so no spraying with luminol, etc.)
Yeah I kinda wished there was more investigating like that even without the use of luminol or Ema's stuff.
-voice acting is subpar; no one wants to hear Wendee Lee in effing everything anymore, and Sam Riegel is terrible as Phoenix Wright and always has been ever since he was cast in the role
I was OK with Phoenix's VA tbh, didn't mind Athena's. Overall the voice acting never bothered me though I could agree it could have been better.
-can't examine items in your court record
-easiest Phoenix Wright game by far because they basically spoonfeed you the answers
I agree on those points, I remember when I got stuck in AA1-3 and had to use a guide heh.

Speaking of which, I noticed スライ・クーパー コレクション - Sly Cooper Collection as an honourable mention on a kusoge of the year list from 2011.

What the flying fuckwat? Sly Cooper collection was a good port of the trilogy, I would never call any of the games 'kusoge' status, even though I do prefer them as 1>2>3.
Did Japan get screwed over with their port or some such?

Going on the single review on PSMK2 it may have something to do with the style of game being developed by a western studio. Then again the series was never popular over there and the Collection only sold 5K in its LTD (which was the reason why Thieves in Time wasn't released on Japan), so it could really be anything.

My problem isn't that it's difficult, my problem it's difficult for the wrong reasons at times. The game doesn't communicate properly with the player when it comes to that.

"Oh look platforming, oh look a dragon roaring- OH GOD IT BROKE THE PLATFORMS BY ROARING" there was no clear warning that was gonna happen. Things like this happens constantly.
It was the perfect element to introduce over a bottomless pit, at least in Sonic Team land. Said stage also kills you sometimes for trying to go too fast for all the little set piecing to come together, a shame really because it's not a bad stage otherwise.
Actually the boss for that one annoys me so much more because the homing attack never fails to turn to shit at some point during it.

While we're on the subject of Sky Road's high-larious "difficulty" I'm reminded of the sand slide heading towards the screen in Zone 4, "by the way this rope you're grabbing onto breaks after a few seconds, hope you were immediately moving over!" and then the following bit where to avoid an obstacle coming from behind I had to shift to either the left or the right side of the screen, I chose right only for the slide to curve left a second afterwards flinging me off the unseen edge. Oh and then there's that one bit where you transition from the 2D area of the stage with the ghosts and rhythm wisp to said slide area and during the screens fading to black transition the one ghost patrolling the path by the exit can still hit you and take your rings, WHAT A STAGE!

I must have been the only person that quite liked LA Noire.
For whatever reason this was a game that damn near everyone I play games with picked up their own copy including myself so it had this unusual sort of hype backing it, yet only two of us actually finished it with everyone else succumbing to boredom which doesn't surprise me at all. It's a nice idea at least.

I beat PoP Warrior Within yesterday on Hard mode. I started a normal playthrough immediately after and finished it today. Now I'm starting an easy mode run. None of these runs have been fun at all.

What am I doing with my life
When you're done with all this you're going to be the biggest Godsmack fan.
Actually what are you doing? and don't answer with trophies.

Tizoc

Noi's a regular in the Trophy threads so I believe they're playing it for the trophies =P
Unless they ALREADY Platinumed it and the gameplay/combat is interesting.

Noi go play Jak and Daxter 1 instead.

qq more

It was the perfect element to introduce over a bottomless pit, at least in Sonic Team land. Said stage also kills you sometimes for trying to go too fast for all the little set piecing to come together, a shame really because it's not a bad stage otherwise.
Actually the boss for that one annoys me so much more because the homing attack never fails to turn to shit at some point during it.
After I got over the fact there was a bullshit trial and error thing going on at the beginning of the stage, it ended up being actually fun and challenging.

...then the broken lock-on in the boss fight... why

While we're on the subject of Sky Road's high-larious "difficulty" I'm reminded of the sand slide heading towards the screen in Zone 4, "by the way this rope you're grabbing onto breaks after a few seconds, hope you were immediately moving over!" and then the following bit where to avoid an obstacle coming from behind I had to shift to either the left or the right side of the screen, I chose right only for the slide to curve left a second afterwards flinging me off the unseen edge. Oh and then there's that one bit where you transition from the 2D area of the stage with the ghosts and rhythm wisp to said slide area and during the screens fading to black transition the one ghost patrolling the path by the exit can still hit you and take your rings, WHAT A STAGE!

That stupid rope was bullshit. "OOPS FORGOT TO LET YOU KNOW IT CAN BREAK". I lost so many lives in Sky Road because of the trial and error BS.

Seriously, this game got rushed...

Noi's a regular in the Trophy threads so I believe they're playing it for the trophies =P
Unless they ALREADY Platinumed it and the gameplay/combat is interesting.

Noi go play Jak and Daxter 1 instead.
I was promised that the trophies would never be gained through self afflicted punishment, I thought we had reached an understanding.
Or maybe I'm misremembering how that discussion many moons ago turned out, I probably am.

I still have to finish the Jak and Daxter trilogy on Vita. Hopefully the framerate issues aren't too bad.
Just when I genuinely thought Jak 2 couldn't possibly get any worse, Jak 2 with poor frame rate.

After I got over the fact there was a bullshit trial and error thing going on at the beginning of the stage, it ended up being actually fun and challenging.
This ends up being kinda true for a few of the games more greasy stages, not that i'm giving them a pass for poor design choices, it serves as a reminder how things could have been so much better with more thought, I'm going to have to agree with the idea that it was hit by some of that traditional Sonic Rush (not to be confused with the game of the same name).

Not having played Sonic Adventure in years, I decided to buy the PSN version for my PS3 using part of the $20 I got back from the $10-for-$50 promotion... Holy shit, this game holds up. Sonic controls MUCH better here than in Lost World. Sonic moves fast enough to give me a good sense of his speed but slow enough that I feel I have enough control of him, I don't fly off into oblivion after jumping while at full speed (most of the time), and the spindash is a shit-ton more useful and is actually worth using. What the hell happened, Sonic Team?

...and what's so bad about the PSN version? Only thing that annoys me is the purple background

Tizoc

Not having played Sonic Adventure in years, I decided to buy the PSN version for my PS3 using part of the $20 I got back from the $10-for-$50 promotion... Holy shit, this game holds up. Sonic controls MUCH better here than in Lost World. Sonic moves fast enough to give me a good sense of his speed but slow enough that I feel I have enough control of him, I don't fly off into oblivion after jumping while at full speed (most of the time), and the spindash is a shit-ton more useful and is actually worth using. What the hell happened, Sonic Team?

...and what's so bad about the PSN version? Only thing that annoys me is the purple background

fROM WHAT i've played of adventure 1 and 2, Sonic does indeed control better, or at least feels like it.
PSN ver. is overall good, but SA1's issue is that the window size is 4:3, whereas SA2 had been expanded to be 16:9 ration (unless the original DC game had that to begin with).

Razzer

That stupid rope was bullshit. "OOPS FORGOT TO LET YOU KNOW IT CAN BREAK". I lost so many lives in Sky Road because of the trial and error BS.

Tbh rushed isn't an excuse for that kind of design. The first thing a designer should think of in a platformer is is the challenge communicated to the player properly. As soon as that was seen after being put in the game they should have programmed it to break over 2 seconds or so so that you can see it gradually breaking up and move on. Visual cues are not something that requires testing to figure out.

Rlan

Tbh rushed isn't an excuse for that kind of design. The first thing a designer should think of in a platformer is is the challenge communicated to the player properly. As soon as that was seen after being put in the game they should have programmed it to break over 2 seconds or so so that you can see it gradually breaking up and move on. Visual cues are not something that requires testing to figure out.

Even when they try to communicate it to you it's terrible, like how they "teach" you to bounce on the blocks on the final z-dude boss fight. That should have been a part of the level beforehand!

Lost several lives to the metropolis zone styled screws too. Just never clicks in properly, and then you fling off the stage.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #46

Song: Bonus Level
Game: Sonic Spinball (8-bit)
Composer: Uncertain; Paul Gadbois, David Delia, or Brad Scott Gish

Show of hands, how many of you knew that 8-bit Spinball has a completely different soundtrack instead of reusing the console version's? It totally does. Furthermore, it's actually good, and reminds me a lot of Konami's NES/MSX work.

I dig the tone this one has. There's two basic kinds of bonus stage music: the first is the sort that's all "You made it YAY let's have fun!! <3 <3 <3". The second is the kind that's goes "Oh, you made it? Pfft. Good luck getting these bonus points." This one's one of the latter. It's been around the block a few times and isn't impressed by whatever meager, piddling pinball skills managed to find it. The lead dips in and out of a brand of chaos that would make Kobayashi proud, but the more coherent bit in the middle is great, and I'm a big fan of the bassline, simple as it is.

Regiruler

I was already on solid ground. I thought it was going to attack so I got to a more advantageous location.

IIRC I was going for the red ring, too. Hopped to the bottom, grabbed ring, went to top path, saw dragon, and hopped to the next set of platforms (which happened to be solid) to dodge out of the way.

I only had it break on me when going for the life. IMO you took your sweet time and the game punished you for it, nothing wrong with that.

The breakable block area cost me more lives, and only because of the ratchet screen effect while going for the extra life (and then I figured out the actual way to do it and all was well).

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #46

Song: Bonus Level
Game: Sonic Spinball (8-bit)
Composer: Uncertain; Paul Gadbois, David Delia, or Brad Scott Gish

Hmm, the tones are actually pretty pleasant to the ear which always helps a lot. I see what you mean by less happy go lucky. This seems to be more of a challenge to the player by the composer, to see if they have the skills to beat the stage that accompanies it. Or that is what I imagine in my head.

Noi

Neither do Suda51 games, didn't stop me from Platinuming Shadows of the Damned though.

Err, I'm pretty sure both Lollipop Chainsaw and No More Heroes don't do that, so you're wrong. Only other one that does that nonsense is Killer is Dead. And even then, I'm sure playing either of those multiple times is much more enjoyable than playing Godsmacked Within (maybe) 3 times if the game doesn't feel like hitting you with a gamestopping bug along the way that requires yet another playthrough.

Tizoc

Err, I'm pretty sure both Lollipop Chainsaw and No More Heroes don't do that, so you're wrong. Only other one that does that nonsense is Killer is Dead. And even then, I'm sure playing either of those multiple times is much more enjoyable than playing Godsmacked Within (maybe) 3 times if the game doesn't feel like hitting you with a gamestopping bug along the way that requires yet another playthrough.

That too, I enjoyed replaying SotD and KiD.
I do believe NMH had non-stackable difficulty trophies though, then again I only ever did multiple playthroughs because a trophy road map suggested it.

I've been on something of a (classic) Capcom kick as of late, and one of the series I've been really enjoying a lot as of late is Gargoyle's Quest. I've been playing the first two games lately, and they're really damned fun action platformers with some light RPG influence to keep things interesting. And the hovering and wall cling mechanics make for some pretty great level design ideas, too. Haven't gotten around to playing Demon's Crest yet, but I think it just might be one of the most consistently fantastic series to ever come out of Capcom.

BHZ Mayor

I'm going through Sly 4 right now (which is much better than 2 and 3 btw) and something just happened late in the game (you probably know what I'm talking about if you played it) that literally had me like

oC0Gq.gif

qq more

This ends up being kinda true for a few of the games more greasy stages, not that i'm giving them a pass for poor design choices, it serves as a reminder how things could have been so much better with more thought, I'm going to have to agree with the idea that it was hit by some of that traditional Sonic Rush (not to be confused with the game of the same name).
Yeah, the gimmicks/hazards weren't thought out well. They have the right concept... just the really lousy execution :/

Oh yeah, not really defending this design. But I do think half of the way the game turned out could've been from rushing it (Sky Road is literally made of reused assets) I felt if they had more time, they would be able to play test the levels more and fix things as necessary.

Also your idea is perfect, it would've made the level so much better. Just that little fix can make a big difference. (Well, except for the boss, that boss sucked hard)

I was already on solid ground. I thought it was going to attack so I got to a more advantageous location.

IIRC I was going for the red ring, too. Hopped to the bottom, grabbed ring, went to top path, saw dragon, and hopped to the next set of platforms (which happened to be solid) to dodge out of the way.
This is the thing. Sega should take some situations in mind, not everyone plays the same way. The segment is still bad because there was no clear warning on what's going to happen.

I only had it break on me when going for the life. IMO you took your sweet time and the game punished you for it, nothing wrong with that.
I was avoiding cactuses at the time it first happened. I had no idea it was going to break. They could've had it so the rail begins to crumble a bit, giving me a good warning that this was going to happen.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know, being condescending towards others based on their taste in music (which would perhaps be bannable if you'd posted it in the wrong thread/if a mod saw that and didn't take too kindly to it) or playstyle isn't exactly becoming of you (ie: "stop playing like garbage because I wasn't playing like garbage and that never happened to me so it shouldn't happen to everyone else, gosh!").

Just a heads-up, since it's something that I've started to notice happening more frequently.

Noi

I am free from the hell that is Warrior Within. I need a drink.

That too, I enjoyed replaying SotD and KiD.
I do believe NMH had non-stackable difficulty trophies though, then again I only ever did multiple playthroughs because a trophy road map suggested it.

Nah, NMH only had one difficulty trophy for Hard/Bitter, but that's only because it doesn't let you play it unless you beat the game once. Different from giving you every difficulty and not letting you stack them.

Tizoc

I'm going through Sly 4 right now (which is much better than 2 and 3 btw) and something just happened late in the game (you probably know what I'm talking about if you played it) that literally had me like

oC0Gq.gif

I'm gonna guess
Penelope turning against the gang?

PKrockin

You know, being condescending towards others based on their taste in music (which would perhaps be bannable if you'd posted it in the wrong thread/if a mod saw that and didn't take too kindly to it) or playstyle isn't exactly becoming of you (ie: "stop playing like garbage because I wasn't playing like garbage and that never happened to me so it shouldn't happen to everyone else, gosh!").

Just a heads-up, since it's something that I've started to notice happening more frequently.
Didn't see the music stuff but what you quoted there did not seem very condescending.

Razzer

Oh yeah, not really defending this design. But I do think half of the way the game turned out could've been from rushing it (Sky Road is literally made of reused assets) I felt if they had more time, they would be able to play test the levels more and fix things as necessary.

Also your idea is perfect, it would've made the level so much better. Just that little fix can make a big difference. (Well, except for the boss, that boss sucked hard).

Thanks, although the sad part is if a pleb could come up with a solution in 30secs after not having even seen the section in question you have to question the competency of the designers. Like, it's such an obvious thing. Just think of all possible outcomes and repercussions of everything you put in the game and you should be able to make something that is well designed, even if some things inevitably slip through. Yet some developers don't do that. You will find that the best developers, especially in highly mechanical genres, are ones where you can tell as you play that they did this, such as Nintendo EAD Tokyo for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom