• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

gotta admit, i'm a little surprised the ps4's two big first-party games are getting a lukewarm reception after a generation of people gushing over presentation. maybe that consistency i asked for is actually happening. at least infamous is right around the corner for those folks.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm going to nap/work for a bit, but before I do, Pietepiet and I were discussing the idea of having speedrun "competitions", or posting your times whenever you try to practice to get through a Unleashed/Generations Act or Zone quick enough.

You don't have to compete, but trying to get to the lowest time that you possibly could would probably be fun. Heck, if you wanted to score attack, that'd be nice. The main premise behind it is to discover for yourself how skilled you'd like to get with some of the levels and have fun while doing it. Just post your fastest levels/acts or records. You don't have to get all Kakipi/Paraxade on us, but just have fun playing around and seeing what you can do to learn the level enough to get fast.

It would be akin to people who used to post scores in score attack in Colours back when the Colours thread was flourishing (ex: here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24760596&postcount=1602 ... I was lurking then and wished I could've participated, but I wasn't approved yet).

The idea was pretty much born after talking about Blaze's Lost World review/the Uncolourations games in general since Pietepiet was playing Colours earlier. The discussion touched upon that despite the Uncolourations games (or more specifically, Unleashed and Generations) have this tendency to have the "boost to win" criticism stuck to them, there is a moderate amount of challenge associated with them in order to get as good as you possibly could, enough to seamlessly transition and continue learning enough about the level to do that.

Heck, we could probably extend it to trios of games if you all would like to. Like for a few weeks, the Uncolourations games. Another few weeks, the Advance games. Another few weeks, the Classic games, and so on and so forth. That is, if people think the idea is fun.

So how does everyone feel about that?
Oh man, I miss those high scores... gosh, I'm so rusty at these games now.

So a challenge sounds good then.

sonic challenge stuffs

I'm all for challenges, although I don't know how much I'd really play. I rarely play through the stages enough to "master" them, and the last time I really tried was back for Adventure 1 and 2, and I gave up on that.

But I do love me some Colors and Generations, though.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #51

Song: Secret Base Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic Advance
Composer: Uncertain; Tatsuyuki Maeda or Yutaka Minobe

Eggman doesn't strike me as the type to build a secret base. The sort of man who builds a space station in his own image and carves his face into mountains is not a subtle man. Consequently the series has never had much reason to get into this sort of spy-flavored groove, but it's handled well here. The GBA games' love affair with the organ is never more appropriate and gets a lot of time to shine in tandem with an electric piano, which I dig. It's also an example of a song with a good loop transition, as opposed to Boss 6.

One part James Bond, one part Mission Impossible, all parts Sonic.

Razzer

Probably the best track from the entire Advance series for me. It just oozes style. The organ and the electric piano both go to town with crazy moments of skill and fast arpeggios etc. The rest serves s a good base for those two to stand on. The brass does deserve special mention as well though. Provides a bit of fanfare amongst the sneakiness, if you will.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Voted for your poll, qq. About time I did. You didn't have a good reward. Bad poll confirmed.

Noi and I neglected to mention that we'd finished Puppeteer this weekend. He has loftier impressions than I do, so if he ever decides to post impressions, he could, and I'll append whatever I have to say to them.

And for the record, I loooooved the Silent Realm areas in SS. So nicely designed and super-fun to actually time yourself to see if you can do it in one go. Whatever, y'all. I like SS a lot.

I'm all for challenges, although I don't know how much I'd really play. I rarely play through the stages enough to "master" them, and the last time I really tried was back for Adventure 1 and 2, and I gave up on that.

But I do love me some Colors and Generations, though.
Well, you don't necessarily have to master the level in a crazy way, but just try to have fun getting your time down or just have fun with the game overall. Like I said before, the main premise behind the idea is to just have fun.

Will we limit the competition to SonicGAF only, or could we make a thread in gaming? Because I'm totally down for a Generations replay.
Hmm... I think the idea was to keep it to SonicGAF, but if people find it necessary and as a reprieve from all the next-gen stuff on gaming side so much so that it won't get buried or overlapped with the Speedrunning OT, I could consider making a thread on gaming side. It's entirely dependent on what people would like to do.

I'm definitely down for a Gens replay, too. Played a bit of it last weekend and was very happy with it.

If I may suggest a competition idea, Red Ring Attacks are also a nice idea for Generations, although it's not doable in all stages due to being unable to get all the 5 red rings in a run. I wish Lost World actually implemented them, since it'd make way more sense in that game.

The only problem with the Red Ring attack is that Generations hides the Red Rings after you collect them, unlike Lost World or Colors... but it could work for Colors too.
That's a good idea, actually. In terms of Generations, you're right, you can't get all the Red Rings in one run in some stages like Sky Sanctuary, but it would certainly be nice to try to see if you could get the Red Rings in as short amount of time as possible.

Red Rings implementation in LW wasn't something I felt to be that great at all compared to Colours/Generations.

Either way, people can still add their ideas in for this, too. Again, the idea is to have fun while doing this, so don't be discouraged and feel like you can't participate if you feel like the standards are too high. The basic idea is to relearn why you had fun with Generations, and some of us felt that learning the levels as much as possible to get really good at them for better times was super-fun.

gotta admit, i'm a little surprised the ps4's two big first-party games are getting a lukewarm reception after a generation of people gushing over presentation. maybe that consistency i asked for is actually happening. at least infamous is right around the corner for those folks.
I wonder if that's really the case, though. I mean, if it is, that would certainly be wonderful because people would become more accountable for what they write in comparison to the loftiness of this gen, but maybe just maybe the modern review scale might start becoming less of the standard and people wouldn't rely so darn much on an arbitrary number.

Man, I should replay the Advance games. I haven't been able to because I don't have them, lol. I borrowed them. Regardless, it's partially because of that that I haven't given the Advance games' soundtracks a lot of listens.

And I give a lot of flak to the GBA's sound output, but that tends to be geared towards ported games or arranged themes. Generally original games for the system like Mother 3, The Minish Cap, and Golden Sun do have good soundtracks, and the Advance games are no exception to that rule. They do have good sample output (especially that organ bit and the electric piano bit kinda in Secret Base Zone) and decent looping. I mean even when we do have secret base-esque stuff in the console games, it tends to be stuff like this. While that's not a bad thing at all, stuff like this is kind of refreshing because I think we've only seen that sort of equivalent in maybe Sonic Unleashed.

Hmm... I think the idea was to keep it to SonicGAF, but if people find it necessary and as a reprieve from all the next-gen stuff on gaming side so much so that it won't get buried or overlapped with the Speedrunning OT, I could consider making a thread on gaming side. It's entirely dependent on what people would like to do.

I'm definitely down for a Gens replay, too. Played a bit of it last weekend and was very happy with it.

I didn't even know there was a Speedrunning OT. Either way, I don't mind if it's just SonicGAF or not. I was just brainstorming.

Razzer

And for the record, I loooooved the Silent Realm areas in SS. So nicely designed and super-fun to actually time yourself to see if you can do it in one go. Whatever, y'all. I like SS a lot.

Agreed. The silent realms are short, tense sections that test your planning skills. In fact I think a lot of the complaints about sections of SS (and some other games I guess) come from the fact that they are designed to create a different type of engagement to the main content. Some people expect everything in a Zelda game to engage them in the same way a dungeon or boss does, but something like tadtones or silent realms are supposed to invoke different feelings entirely, so people call them filler. It is certainly possible for devs to put in filler but that tends to be when a section is designed like the rest of the game just not as well, such as an endless horde of enemies coming at you in a small arena in a shooter. Speaking of which that section in SS is exactly what I would call filler. But I'm rambling now so I guess I should shut up.

Got to play a demo of Tearaway while I was out. I was really on-and-off about it when it was first announced since I'm not the biggest fan of LittleBIGPlanet, but I actually found Tearaway was a neat little surprise.

From what was in the demo, it basically confirms the assumption I've had since E3, in that it's more of an adventure game with some platforming elements than a pure platformer. Most of the mechanics seem to be set around the interaction between the real world and the game's world; I wasn't even able to jump until the end of the demo, and I honestly found it rather gimped and not very useful for any really engaging platforming. Part of me thinks the reason everyone labeled it as a platformer was due to its aesthetic. Speaking of its aesthetic, it's really good. Unlike what some people say, it doesn't look like an N64 game. The colours are nice and vibrant and the presentation is very crisp, kinda like... well, paper. It actually reminds me of another game I played on the VITA called Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery. Same vibrant colours, same woodland environment, albeit with a different art style (vinyl figurines). The thing that surprised me the most was actually the demo's implementation of the rear touch pad. Unlike with most titles for the VITA, it actually felt rather natural, but that may just be because I have rather long fingers therefore I don't have to adjust my hands to much (not so much with the actual touch screen stuff, though). If there was anything I thought was kinda "eh", it was probably that the squirrels talked too much and some camera stuff, but that's pretty much it. Unfortunately the demo unit I used didn't have audio so I couldn't listen to the music, which sucked because I was digging the music I've heard in videos, especially the vocal stuff. I may actually end up having to pre-order the game; I wants me some sea-shanty dubstep.

Also, atoi > iota. She's just so adorable and has a much better design.

I feel like I'm a secret agent when I listen to this. Really catchy tune, almost forgot all about it. I should replay Sonic Advance sometime.

Well, you don't necessarily have to master the level in a crazy way, but just try to have fun getting your time down or just have fun with the game overall. Like I said before, the main premise behind the idea is to just have fun.

are games supposed to be fun to play

why dont i feel like im having fun when i play quest :(

Razzer

I feel like I'm a secret agent when I listen to this. Really catchy tune, almost forgot all about it. I should replay Sonic Advance sometime.

are games supposed to be fun to play

why dont i feel like im having fun when i play quest :(

Is that an addictive mobile game of some sort?

Is that an addictive mobile game of some sort?

No, it's a GBC port of the N64 game, Quest 64. Quest 64 sucks, and while Quest sucks a bit less, it's still pretty bad.

Here's a topic I made about it for laughs.

Speaking of games, I got my 3DS XL back today, and decided to purchase SteamWorld Dig. It's a pretty neat game, I like digging tunnels and finding these little Metroid-esque power ups to increase my exploration capabilities.

PKrockin

I should really give that game a shot sometime, since I'm one of the few people who played Quest 64
and actually kinda sorta liked it for its battle system.

Razzer

No, it's a GBC port of the N64 game, Quest 64. Quest 64 sucks, and while Quest sucks a bit less, it's still pretty bad.

Here's a topic I made about it for laughs.

Speaking of games, I got my 3DS XL back today, and decided to purchase SteamWorld Dig. It's a pretty neat game, I like digging tunnels and finding these little Metroid-esque power ups to increase my exploration capabilities.

Ah fair enough. I've heard of quest 64. The only RPG on the 64 right?

I should really give that game a shot sometime, since I'm one of the few people who played Quest 64
and actually kinda sorta liked it for its battle system.

The battle system is like, the only redeeming quality of the game. Even then it isn't utilized to its full potential, though.

Eggman doesn't strike me as the type to build a secret base. The sort of man who builds a space station in his own image and carves his face into mountains is not a subtle man. Consequently the series has never had much reason to get into this sort of spy-flavored groove, but it's handled well here. The GBA games' love affair with the organ is never more appropriate and gets a lot of time to shine in tandem with an electric piano, which I dig. It's also an example of a song with a good loop transition, as opposed to Boss 6.

One part James Bond, one part Mission Impossible, all parts Sonic.

This inspired me to make this
X5kRjko.png

http://blazehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/67016701905/did-this-a-long-time-ago-had-inspiration-today-to

AniHawk

here is my harrowing tale of running around in circles.

october 29: i go into gamestop to preorder the legend of zelda albw 3ds xl bundle after a coworker explains how my life will be improve immeasurably by owning this hardware. unfortunately preorders were not up yet. however i was able to place an online order at the store. with free shipping, it would arrive at my workplace around december 2. a bit later than i'd like, but since there weren't preorders, i figured it was better than nothing.

october 30: preorders are being taken for the bundle, and i check in after work to cancel the online order since the unit is still three weeks away from releasing, let alone shipping. they are unable to place a call to the customer support people (it was after hours), but i'm told i should try again friday when the manager is in. i place a preorder anyway because this is a silly little issue that should be resolved soon.

november 1 (friday): i stop by and ask the manager to cancel. unfortunately it's still after hours and they wouldn't be able to place a call. tells me i should come in tomorrow.

november 2: a little before 11, i drop by and one of the employees gets on the phone. i leave an hour later because i had a prior engagement, but he calls me as i'm leaving my place that it was successfully canceled and i can stop by. so i do, pay off the preorder, and he says the full amount of the order should appear back in my account within five business days.

november 9: it's been five business days and i haven't received anything in my account. i check the bank and they say no return has been made, but they say i can file a claim within two months (december 28 would be the last day, i assume). i go to the store and the manager is put on hold while trying to talk with customer support. i figure that instead of hanging around again, i'll just try them myself because sometimes it takes up to 10 business days for an authorization hold to disappear from an account (and authorization holds may appear as a charge).

november 14, today: my money has still not been refunded, so i call customer support. after about 50 minutes on hold, i get someone who confirms the order was canceled on november 2, and that i should have been refunded in-store. i drive down there since it's right down the road, and wait an hour to get into the store thanks to ps4 bullshit. at this point the customer support line is closed, but the manager calls some other tech head to figure out what to do because they haven't encountered anything like this before. the tech guy's boss tells him that the customer support line was supposed to refund the money, and that i should try again tomorrow.

tl;dr: gamestop has wasted 3 hours of my time to verify they won't give me the $240 i am owed.

AniHawk

got a ps4. i'm looking at the box right now with indifference. why. why did i do this. nothing from sony is good. no multiplatform release is worth it. i have to pay for online. i stood in line with a hundred other people. no excitement. this is what video games are now.

Noi

got a ps4. i'm looking at the box right now with indifference. why. why did i do this. nothing from sony is good. no multiplatform release is worth it. i have to pay for online. i stood in line with a hundred other people. no excitement. this is what video games are now.

It's been pretty good from the past few hours I've spent with mine, yo!

I was first in line. I got free burgers and pizza and a shirt, I can't complain

Razzer

After getting a launch Wii-U I can tell you, never get a console at launch. Too late now though I guess. What are you planning on playing?

Anth0ny

launches are just so boring now. no one tries anymore.

I just found out my PS4 probably won't be here for launch day and I don't even really care. Such a weak launch line up. Even Wii U had a more interesting launch lineup, and that's scary.

I wonder if we'll ever get Super Mario 64/Halo CE caliber launch titles again? From Sony, that would basically have to be a new Naughty Dog game. For Nintendo, something from EAD Tokyo. For Microsoft... fuck, people don't really care about Halo anymore, do they? Moneyhat a talented third party, I suppose.

It seems like they've realized new consoles are going to sell out at launch whether the games are there or not. The power of "OMGZ NEW CONSOLE HYPE HYPE HYPE" is too strong. You don't need a Super Mario 64 to drive that point home.

AniHawk

After getting a launch Wii-U I can tell you, never get a console at launch. Too late now though I guess. What are you planning on playing?

i had planned on getting this as a gift for someone else. but then they got the ps4 from another person. so i kinda just have this thing. and it breaks my 'no consoles over $300' rule. i like that rule.

at this point i'd probably give resogun a shot. and i'd probably pick up nba 2k14 and rivals, but that's hardly exciting. maybe i'm just tired.

i'll have to cancel my xbox one order if i'm feeling so down on this thing.

the launch is one of the weakest i can remember. period. it's like the console version of the 3ds launch. lots of ports, some mediocre first-party stuff, and maybe one real gem (ghost recon/resogun). ps2's felt stronger, and nobody liked the ps2 at launch even if they said they did.

TheOGB

Banned
i had planned on getting this as a gift for someone else. but then they got the ps4 from another person. so i kinda just have this thing. and it breaks my 'no consoles over $300' rule. i like that rule.

at this point i'd probably give resogun a shot. and i'd probably pick up nba 2k14 and rivals, but that's hardly exciting. maybe i'm just tired.

the launch is one of the weakest i can remember. period. it's like the console version of the 3ds launch. lots of ports, some mediocre first-party stuff, and maybe one real gem (ghost recon/resogun). ps2's felt stronger, and nobody liked the ps2 at launch even if they said they did.
offer's still open

give it a shot, but if it doesn't work out just let me know

Razzer

Hmm, an unfortunate sequence of events then. Just play what you can I guess and hope to enjoy it. I think until you have at least 3 or 4 games either out or announced that you really want you should avoid buying consoles. Especially if you can play on PC as there is a ton of stuff which you don't have to buy new hardware for. Less of a gamble as it were.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #52

Song: Collision Chaos Present
Game: Sonic CD (JP)
Composer: Masafumi Ogata

I dunno what Spencer Nilsen was doing with his version of this track, but he was doing it wrong. This is a piece that suits a wild, chaotic pinball land. You can feel the impact of a hard steel ball or large woodland mammal against the springy environment with every beat, as the bright lights and colors of an arcade flash all around, simultaneously vying for your attention and working together to overwhelm your senses.

3, 2, 1,
kick it

qq more

I beat Hidden World Zone 1 in Lost World... by doing literally nothing.

*stares at victory screen in disbelief*

um... can anyone tell me what was the point of this stage? this is like... the most bizarre thing i've ever seen in a sonic game...

When a console has games you want to play, buy it. If it doesn't? don't buy it.

It isn't that hard and shouldn't be a big drama. Get rid of it if you don't want it, shouldn't be too difficult

Dario ff

Banned
I beat Hidden World Zone 1 in Lost World... by doing literally nothing.

*stares at victory screen in disbelief*

um... can anyone tell me what was the point of this stage? this is like... the most bizarre thing i've ever seen in a sonic game...
It's for farming flickies. You get more flickies the more cubes you beat. It never ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom