• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I'm thinking of trading off my LW 3DS game, I am at world 3-1 (not even half way through the game yeah), but it's just not grabbing me. Should I give it another try or just trade it off during my next visit to my local shop?
*Bravely chortles at North American's Default 2014 release date*

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #54

Song: Theme of Metropolis Speedway
Game: Sonic Free Riders
Composer: Koji Sakurai

I see you dreamin' / Still believin'

My personal winner for last gen's Best Song That Flew Completely Under the Radar award. No one played Free Riders in the first place, and while Free managed to get around a bit anyway by virtue of being a vocal piece, this is a random level track from a subseries that isn't known for having great level music. But this one's a pure party piece, and as far as I'm concerned it stands shoulder to shoulder with the rest of Sega's long legacy of blue skies tunes. Two of the four tracks Koji Sakurai wrote for the game are like this, and I love them to bits.

Razzer

Composer: Koji Sakurai

Nice find. Sounds like something from outrun kinda. I can definitely imagine cruisin along a coastal highway to this haha. Very feelgood. It also keeps in the old technique of using vocals as another instrument more than being about the lyrics. And that's great. I love the little woodwind instrument that chirps along in the background though I can't identify it. Kind of sounds like someone whistling through their hands. The guitar keeps a steady tempo, but it's the combination of it all that makes me like this, no part stands out from the rest.

Edit: I know right it's so catchy.

TheOGB

Banned
I actually do have Free Riders, played it like twice, and that's still the only memorable song from the game other than Free.

Pietepiet

I was kinda bummed that Free Riders was a Kinect game 'cause I really enjoy the Riders series overall. Nice song, that! Never heard it before :)

BlackJace

Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit that I dug both Riders.

Zero Gravity less so, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. They fucked up Super Sonic both games though. What a shitty "legendary" unlockable.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So Schala how do you find the PS4 atm? Did you enjoy any of the games you got on it?
Haven't really tried it out. I did have to hook it up to see if it worked since people were reporting problems, but I think the UI's really nice. It could and should be improved upon, especially stuff that's highlighted here.

I haven't tried anything out on it. Don't really have the time yet.

Not exactly sure why I picked it up since I really only plan to use it as a portable ASRT/UMVC3 (and eventually FFX) machine, but whatever. Another device to play my PS1 titles on are nice, I guess.
Oooh, I'm surprised you picked up a Vita. Honestly, if you import a lot, the system's not that bad.

i was talking from personal experience
Oh dear. I imagine the text took so much time to fit into the box. Or they had to edit the text down a lot just so it could fit there. That the type of thing I sometimes wonder about, especially when I'm playing the Kiseki games, because there's just so much text in Japanese so having to get it down in English and decide on a font/size must be so... harrowing.

Played just the first Hyperdimension, worst game I bought at full price in the last 5 years. Easily.

Also, all this salt on LW makes me hype-y, if I'm lucky enough PES will suck even after the patch so I'll sell it with no remorse and use the money towards Sanics.

PS: you're my favourite thread, bye *blushes*
<3

I could not bring myself to finish the first Neptunia either. There was so much wrong with it that I just couldn't do it. The second one's actually pretty decent in terms of gameplay. The third one seems really unbalanced so far, which is surprising.

Does Konami still care a lot about PES to make it one of its big titles? Konami doesn't seem to care about a lot of things. -_-

I'm thinking of trading off my LW 3DS game, I am at world 3-1 (not even half way through the game yeah), but it's just not grabbing me. Should I give it another try or just trade it off during my next visit to my local shop?
*Bravely chortles at North American's Default 2014 release date*
Trade it in if you don't care about it because it doesn't get much better from there.

I just remembered BD is out in two weeks! Wooo. I'm getting it FedEx'd to me since it's coming with a 3DS.

Composer: Koji Sakurai.
I should make a point to listen to more Free Riders stuff. I really liked Free, myself, especially the Crush 40 version (which is surprisingly a small improvement). But no, a lot of the level themes don't get a lot of exposure. And this is a really good one! Very catchy with some pop-rock-y sort of vibe.

Zen

Banned
So with having a PS4 controller that 'just works' on PC I decided to reinstall Sonic Generations. What mods should I be getting?

AniHawk

Oh dear. I imagine the text took so much time to fit into the box. Or they had to edit the text down a lot just so it could fit there. That the type of thing I sometimes wonder about, especially when I'm playing the Kiseki games, because there's just so much text in Japanese so having to get it down in English and decide on a font/size must be so... harrowing.

yeah, the editors do a good job and there aren't issues 95% of the time, but that is one of the most common things to spot when you're testing a game, at least of that type. long ago, i also did the bug-checking in the more traditional sense. all that was back when i was still in college though.

Sciz

I should make a point to listen to more Free Riders stuff. I really liked Free, myself, especially the Crush 40 version (which is surprisingly a small improvement).

Free was actually written by Senoue in the first place, so technically Richard Jacques' arrangement that got used as the main version is the cover and the Crush 40 cover is the real deal.

So, I'm about to go on an extended trip starting this Friday for the entire week of Thanksgiving. Was wondering if you guys could suggest some good OSTs for the 14 hours of flying I have to do.

Razzer

So, I'm about to go on an extended trip starting this Friday for the entire week of Thanksgiving. Was wondering if you guys could suggest some good OSTs for the 14 hours of flying I have to do.

You should mix and match. Also what are you looking for? Orchestral stuff, retro tones, more electronic music?

BHZ Mayor

I don't remember Tails being so annoying back in the original Sonic 3. I don't know if Complete made his AI "smarter", but he's constantly trying to keep up and keeps getting in my way, especially in those gravity tubes in Carnival Night. Being able to do the flight assist in single player is a godsend though.

I've only played two or so hours of Riders and hated it. Never had any desire to try the other entries.

Oooh, I'm surprised you picked up a Vita. Honestly, if you import a lot, the system's not that bad.

That reminds me, I should probably look into getting Tales of Innocence R sometime. (And maybe Hearts R if I'm feeling morbidly curious)

Regiruler

I actually do have Free Riders, played it like twice, and that's still the only memorable song from the game other than Free.

Wasn't that absolutely terrible?

Granted I played (and liked) zero gravity. I didn't play it extensively though as it was my friend's game and I only really played it at his house.

TheOGB

Banned
Well, it was mostly terrible because Kinect is awkward, but I've always mildly enjoyed the Riders games. I may go back to it someday, but I refuse to ever play multiplayer. :p

Tizoc

Off the top of my head:
BlazBlue soundtracks
Guilty Gear
Street fighter soundtracks
SNK soundtracks
Manowar if you like metal
Mario and Luigi series soundtracks

Tizoc

@Schala- Oh you're getting an EU 3DS huh? So now you have a JPN, US and EU 3DS I take it.

Well gonna see if I can get around to visiting my local shop and trade it now or wait til December and trade it then for Tearaway+Ys+Bravely Default. So long's I can get them for $120 or less, I'd be golden~

Psxphile

I don't remember Tails being so annoying back in the original Sonic 3. I don't know if Complete made his AI "smarter", but he's constantly trying to keep up and keeps getting in my way, especially in those gravity tubes in Carnival Night. Being able to do the flight assist in single player is a godsend though.

Actually, wasn't his A.I. altered a bit between stand-alone Sonic 3 and locked-on Sonic 3&K? I assume Sonic 3 Complete is using S3&K's A.I. for Tails. I couldn't tell you what exactly that entails however because I haven't played S3 alone in years. But I do remember feeling that his behavior had subtly changed all those years ago... like how he'll sometimes try to position himself a step or two behind Sonic's sprite when standing still so that he isn't blocked from view by Sonic. Even when facing to the left.

Pietepiet

So with having a PS4 controller that 'just works' on PC I decided to reinstall Sonic Generations. What mods should I be getting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPvwqjkHDg Episode Metal if you want to play as Metal Sonic (great mod, at least the version I have. He's making a new one with a run animation for Modern that I don't like as much)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2LCq5rjs0s Tropical Resort mod. Includes a nice overhaul of the HUB world.

I still need to find a proper Blaze mod. The only ones I find are where they try to recreate her run-animation from Rush, and that looks so weird to me.

I've come to the conclusion that Mega Man 9 is the best Mega Man game, screw Nocturnowl!
I think I finally understand, when you know that I was right on the money all along you seethe with such utter defeat you can only curse my name because you can't stand the truth, yeah that must be it.
After all last I recall you were on dubious team MM4 while I stood on glorious team MM9, quit encroaching on my space!

The only thing I don't like is how much of a pain in the backside those castle stages are, I'll forever curse that one bit in Wily 3's antigravity sections with that ladder by the spikes and the little flying git that swoops in to carry you into said spikes.

I feel like "screw Nocturnowl!"is JC's catchphrase at this point.

Rise Above Hate JC

Knuckles_laugh.gif
It’s Knux I came for the dough/As soon as I step in the door
I see that you’re hating my glow/The crew, the flow/we’re soon to blow
We’re tired of being this poor/And having to sleep on the floor
And working a 9 to 5/Just like a five-dollar whore
Knowing we’re worth more/We simply had to settle the score,
That’s why you see these vidya/And the comics in the store
It’s Echidona baby trying to cash some major figures
You mess with my cheese and I’ll switch just like Schwazernegger
Knuckles_laugh.gif

Razzer

Knuckles_laugh.gif
It’s Knux I came for the dough/As soon as I step in the door
I see that you’re hating my glow/The crew, the flow/we’re soon to blow
We’re tired of being this poor/And having to sleep on the floor
And working a 9 to 5/Just like a five-dollar whore
Knowing we’re worth more/We simply had to settle the score,
That’s why you see these vidya/And the comics in the store
It’s Echidona baby trying to cash some major figures
You mess with my cheese and I’ll switch just like Schwazernegger
Knuckles_laugh.gif

What is this from?

I really have no problem with Mega Man 9 being declared top shelf Mega Man. Probably go 2>/=9>3 if I had to do a top 3 for the classic series. Haven't played 4-8 in a long time, though.

Amazing that we went from such a great revival to... well, whatever you'd call the series' current state.... in a single generation.

qq more

I thought 9 was great until the Wily Stages. I did not like a single Wily stage from that game as they were all annoying for different reasons. I felt they tried way too hard with the game. The weapon set however, is among the best in the series.

I felt 10 was better due to more fun content and the levels just being generally well designed (outside of Blade Man's stage). The DLC were better too, Bass Mode, the extra stages (I thought 9's extra stage was really awful) and the fact you can get new weapons from them.

And this is coming from someone who prefers 2 over every other Mega Man game (which was 9's major inspiration).

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #55

Song: Seven Forest
Game: Sonic Shuffle
Composer: Uncertain; Akihiro Sato, Hidenobu Otsuki, or Ryo Fukuda

That's Forest, not Force, much as having the latter around would've improved Shuffle immensely.

This one's always struck me as being a Pikmin track ahead of its time. It's got the same sort of natural, earthy tone and similar instrumentation. It even brings to mind that series' tendency to mix peaceful, soothing environments with sudden outbursts of extreme violence. What it's doing in a Sonic party game, I don't know.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
@Schala- Oh you're getting an EU 3DS huh? So now you have a JPN, US and EU 3DS I take it.

Well gonna see if I can get around to visiting my local shop and trade it now or wait til December and trade it then for Tearaway+Ys+Bravely Default. So long's I can get them for $120 or less, I'd be golden~
Nope, just the JP 3DS. I'm getting the Japanese version of Bravely Default For the Sequel since it's coming out at the same time and I've been told to get a Japanese 3DS anyway just in case a lot of the stuff I would want to play won't get localized anyway.

So I'll just have a US 3DS and a JP 3DS LL. EU 3DS would be redundant and more expensive than I'd like it to be.

Ys Celceta's... okay. Better than Seven. I didn't like Seven much. Celceta's... ok. If you look at it as an Ys 4 game like I did you probably wouldn't like it as much. At least it made Flash Guarding harder. You could easily cheese it in Seven and get away with it. Honestly, it's just too bad no one played Mask of the Sun or Dawn since they're both really good games, with Sun being better than Dawn.

That reminds me, I should probably look into getting Tales of Innocence R sometime. (And maybe Hearts R if I'm feeling morbidly curious)
ToI R first, Hearts... when it goes budget. I say that because ToI R is already budget, lol. It doesn't have as much voice acting as some would probably like, but it does have some and attack names would be recognizable to you since you've played a JP Tales game before, iirc.

I've come to the conclusion that Mega Man 9 is the best Mega Man game, screw Nocturnowl!
I... have to agree with qq more on this one. 9 had a great weapon set, great aesthetic, and great sound, but man that level design was wonky as heck like 2's was in some spots.

And I like the slide. >.>

Though I still think MM4's my favourite one. :V

What kind of soundtracks were you looking for, first of all? You're asking a ton of SotY participants in here, haha.

qq more

I feel that 2's level design was fine for the most part. Air Man's stage can be a bit of a pain (stupid giant goblin heads) and Wily Stage 4's boss fight was terribad. But outside of that, 2's level design was generally great.

BTW the NVIDIA Shield came with a certain video game with freezing Walruses... lol...

Tizoc

Mind you I've NEVER played a Ys game before, the PC games are in my Steam backlog, and I'm waiting for the PSP games to go on sale already =V

zeemumu

I'd like to see another game with metal sonic as the antagonist, sort of like he was in heroes but delving a little deeper into his struggle with not being able to fulfill his purpose of being better than Sonic. Maybe he finds a way to become faster than Sonic and Sonic ends up having a bit of a crisis because he's not the fastest anymore. Metal reawakens the other members of the metal series (metal knuckles, the shadow androids, maybe the tails doll, a secret copy of Gamma, unmanned versions of eggmans vehicles, etc.) who serve as the bosses, and after besting Sonic at the beginning, Metal plans to modify the eclipse cannon to roboticize the earth instead of outright destroying it. The final boss is separated into two parts, a fight and a race. What do you guys think?

Razzer

I'd like to see another game with metal sonic as the antagonist, sort of like he was in heroes but delving a little deeper into his struggle with not being able to fulfill his purpose of being better than Sonic. Maybe he finds a way to become faster than Sonic and Sonic ends up having a bit of a crisis because he's not the fastest anymore. Metal reawakens the other members of the metal series (metal knuckles, the shadow androids, maybe the tails doll, a secret copy of Gamma, unmanned versions of eggmans vehicles, etc.) who serve as the bosses, and after besting Sonic at the beginning, Metal plans to modify the eclipse cannon to roboticize the earth instead of outright destroying it. The final boss is separated into two parts, a fight and a race. What do you guys think?

Seems as though you are focusing on the scenario and story more than the game. Whilst that could maybe work the margin for error on the part of the writers is so high my faith that anyone could pull it off without it being a total cringe fest is low. Honestly I think any messages or serious story tones should be left in the background of the story, told through subtle implications rather than dialogue. Like Gamma's story in Adventure 1, the only plotline in a 3D game that was decent. That actually discussed some pretty serious themes and did so with tact, although it may have been entirely accidental.

zeemumu

Seems as though you are focusing on the scenario and story more than the game. Whilst that could maybe work the margin for error on the part of the writers is so high my faith that anyone could pull it off without it being a total cringe fest is low. Honestly I think any messages or serious story tones should be left in the background of the story, told through subtle implications rather than dialogue. Like Gamma's story in Adventure 1, the only plotline in a 3D game that was decent. That actually discussed some pretty serious themes and did so with tact, although it may have been entirely accidental.

The recent stories for Sonic seem to be lacking rather than the gameplay (which isn't perfect but it's okay).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom