• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

Holy Shit at the Jetzons track haha. At least now whenever 'which 16-bit music is best' topics come up I have more fuel for my 'this ost was made into genuine popular music' argument. Amazing how artists of the time actually recognized and appreciated the quality of the music, even if they did write it themselves. Just the fact that they took it seriously enough to make music they would use themselves is wonderful as games were still seen as kid's toys back then. Pretty funny how this is like a 1 to 1 copy of the Icecap music though.

Sciz

Holy Shit at the Jetzons track haha. At least now whenever 'which 16-bit music is best' topics come up I have more fuel for my 'this ost was made into genuine popular music' argument. Amazing how artists of the time actually recognized and appreciated the quality of the music, even if they did write it themselves. Just the fact that they took it seriously enough to make music they would use themselves is wonderful as games were still seen as kid's toys back then. Pretty funny how this is like a 1 to 1 copy of the Icecap music though.

Check the date.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #48

Song: Ice Cap Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic & Knuckles Collection
Composer: Masaru Setsumaru, probably

I was gonna sit on this one until winter rolled around, but after last night's news, it got bumped to the front of the queue.

At this point I'm pretty sure that when they were replacing songs for this version, they had an explicit goal to make the new tracks sound as little like the old ones as possible. They're both crisp, wintery themes, but the similarities end there. The new one's more of a snow level than an ice level, thin as the line between the two is. It also comes off as being kind of unfinished, as the background chimes play an endless, unchanging loop and the melody abruptly cuts out at 0:48, which emphasizes the repetitive nature of the background all the more. Act 2 comes off even worse, with the percussion being thrown in more or less at random. Act 1's pleasant while it lasts, though, and it makes better use of General MIDI than the shaky conversions that constitute the rest of the soundtrack.

What does Sega1991 think about Lost World?

tumblr_mw2ml9vaD01rr2g16o1_500.png

Let's say Wednesday, maybe Thursday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What does Sega1991 think about Lost World?
He should be putting his review up soon. Last I saw, he was editing it all up. Edit: And he ninja'd me. :p

(He doesn't think much of it, based on his stream, this, this, and this.)

I remember him ranting about the 3DS version for a little bit.

considering those are impressions, i don't really see a problem. and honestly, those are really in-depth and make sense. for me, impressions should be stream of consciousness sort of things anyway. it's okay if they jump from topic to topic- unless you're talking about uncharted 2. i think if i knew how that one would have ended up, i would have actually been more critical of the game.

whenever i do a 'review' i try to focus a little more, but i usually wind up in the same pitfalls. i'm not a good writer, so whenever i resort to 'things' and 'stuff' in really basic language, it's me poking fun at myself and the absurdity of taking it too seriously.

i know my writing has improved, but i don't think it has in recent years. there's a huge jump between 2003 and 2013, but not so much between 2009 and 2013. a lot of my 'reviews' are essentially first drafts. they're full of typos, grammatical errors, and run-on sentences. i do try and edit them sometimes, especially if i run across something years later.
I think I get trapped by some sort of perfectionism in me because I'm so used to working in an academic sense so everything has to be perfect. Sometimes I even avoid using the first person and just use "the player" because I'm so used to writing academically that I just can't make writing impressions wholly about me. So they end up being semi-reviews like Time and Eternity, Ocarina of Time 3D, Hakuoki, and Rhythm Thief. But they aren't entirely super-formal (the OoT one is probably the most formal one I've written up here, I think).

There's one review I haven't posted on GAF at all because it's way too long, but my FF13 review was something that basically tore the game apart and my writing style wasn't even that great. If I recall correctly, it was lengthy and very... unrefined (ie: one of the subtitles was "Is a Story Supposed to be a Dance of Nouns Accompanied by an Encyclopedia?"). Going through that review right now, I was probably so irritated because I'd written it right after I'd finished the game.

For example:

A small fraction of Schala's FF13 review said:
Developers denying the player choice, freedom and experimentation can possibly be a valid gameplay mechanic for tense, driven sequences of an RPG, but it isn’t acceptable for about 70% of the main gameplay experience. This is an RPG, the genre of world-building, freedom and exploration (even the illusion of it, as JRPGs are prone to do) are withheld from the player in Final Fantasy XIII’s for 20-25 hours. I’ve encountered many a player who have “bailed out” before it got “good”, expected by the developers to “hold out” for the release afforded to them by the late-game open world in Chapter 11. Every game is usually judged within the first few hours and Final Fantasy XIII is no exception. To insist that the player hold out for the light at the end of the tunnel, and to play to the see the ending, is rather insulting to the video game medium. What would you say if you were watching a TV series, you think it sucks, but your friend tells you that it eventually gets good towards the end of the season? You’d probably say that it isn’t worth it. I couldn’t blame anyone I encountered who decided to trade this game in after the first 5-10 hours.

This game, as stated before, isn’t Y-shaped. There isn’t really a gradual introduction to freedom in FFXIII. The structure that many have branded FFXIII with is the T-shaped structure. The game flatlines in a late-game chapter around the 17-20 hour mark and opens up in a huge way. The change in structure, difficulty and scenery is striking, at first being welcome and liberating, then annoying. To its credit, the change ties in with the storyline, but once again, the story must service the gameplay, not the other way around.

When the player gets to Chapter 11, they’ve noticed that they’ve arrived in an entirely different world, both literally and figuratively. If the player chooses to do so, s/he may embark on their own mission to explore the wide open canvas they see before them. Or he/she can simply travel through the world of Gran Pulse in 15 minutes, to reacquaint him/herself with the on-rails experience that is FFXIII and the complete the final two painfully linear chapters of the game.

But who’s going to do that? The game invites the player to the spectacle that is Gran Pulse with large, magnificent creatures and gorgeous flora and fauna, and no player I’d know would turn down the chance to look around. This portion of the game is a visual and auditory fiesta at first for the player. The environment is massive, a version of Final Fantasy X’s Calm Lands in the seventh-generation console era. The open-endedness of the area is completely welcome after hours of linearity. The game even trolls itself when Lightning says, “It’s probably safe to say it won’t be boring here.” It pokes fun at the misery the player had to endure for the last two chapters’ grey tunnel dungeons.

However, Pulse has an inherent problem. It is an empty wasteland filled with rough and difficult enemy encounters. There is no endearing populace to interact with, save or do the bidding of. There are no rewards of exploration outside of checking out all of the new vistas, the continual equipment upgrades and the return of Chocobo riding. There exists a gap between the first 2-3 hours of getting on Pulse to acquiring a faster mode of transportation. Thus, the player is forced to run from area to area, which becomes admittedly tedious when doing missions—those surrounding areas are in themselves, linear tubes. It’s wonderful to marvel at the environments Square-Enix’s field designers have created within the first few minutes of venturing into the region, but the experience grows tiring, to the point where the player simply doesn’t notice the tropical feel of the area after running through it for the fifth time.

What exactly can one say about this wide open monster arena, where the only means of player interaction is a series of Mark Hunts—combat missions accepted from dead NPCs who can’t even react when the quest is completed? Gran Pulse is lifeless and dead. Human character interaction is missing. Nothing is worth saving on this terrain. Fulfilling the requests of long-dead l’Cie never winds up truly rewarding when the only gift the game rewards the player with is a new item on the post-game battle screen.

Which is part of the point. Travelling on Gran Pulse lead the characters to discover that the world is devoid of human life. Nothing of interest truly happens on this wild world. It’s simply a playground or gymnasium for the characters to use to level up and test out new gameplay strategies. Freedom is dished out in doses in an RPG, not in a wide-open stretch 20-25 hours in the making. This is not a balanced and well-paced design at all. The player has the freedom (and probably will use it) to leave Pulse and continue on with the storyline after a couple of hours of exploration at the most. The main problem is that the player craved that exploration after 20 hours, and will crave it again in the final 5-10 hours of the game.

When I'm angry, I get really really fucking wordy. And I don't think I agree with some of the stuff in a major way I said in the past. A lot of the stuff I wrote about the battle system is basically me deconstructing two premises put forth by people who like CSB, and I don't like CSB that much. Despite writing up ways to take enemies down quickly and proficiently while detailing how rankings work, I find the system flawed, but I don't think I ever wrote the reasons why I, myself, find the system flawed. I merely deconstructed arguments people put forth.

I... think that might also factor into the reasons why I do try to go in-depth as opposed to talking about what I thought of the game or try to make it sound like I'm thinking like an 'outsider', I guess? I dunno. I probably shouldn't do that since that isn't the type of audience I'm writing for, but I'm so used to writing like that that I can't help it sometimes.

Since you mentioned it, I went back to read your Uncharted 2 review (I haven't played the game yet despite half of GAF nagging me to play it. :p). I do find it interesting that you didn't seem to think much of the characters, since the characterization is something that people give the Uncharted games a ton of credit for. You gave it a fairly high grade on the AniHawk scale, too. Though since you wrote your thoughts on TLOU in the same thread and gave it a higher grade, I guess you liked that one a lot better.

I should really try to find all of my impressions that I posted on GAF and keep them in a doc so I know what I wrote impressions for and what I didn't.

At this point I'm at Sky Road Act 2 and taking time off to avoid further Asteroid Wisp-induced bouts of madness. I'll finish it, eventually - I have to if I want to review it. But some of the stages in this game are just so bad
I stopped at the gyro boss in Silent Forest and decided that I'd had enough. That snowball bit in Frozen Factory was absolutely absurd, too. I've dropped it for now, but that's only because I was getting tired of playing games I don't like.

You're a stronger person than I am.

He should be putting his review up soon. Last I saw, he was editing it all up. Edit: And he ninja'd me. :p

I think I get trapped by some sort of perfectionism in me because I'm so used to working in an academic sense so everything has to be perfect. Sometimes I even avoid using the first person and just use "the player" because I'm so used to writing academically that I just can't make writing impressions wholly about me. So they end up being semi-reviews like Time and Eternity, Ocarina of Time 3D, Hakuoki, and Rhythm Thief. But they aren't entirely super-formal (the OoT one is probably the most formal one I've written up here, I think).

There's one review I haven't posted on GAF at all because it's way too long, but my FF13 review was something that basically tore the game apart and my writing style wasn't even that great. If I recall correctly, it was lengthy and very... unrefined (ie: one of the subtitles was "Is a Story Supposed to be a Dance of Nouns Accompanied by an Encyclopedia?"). Going through that review right now, I was probably so irritated because I'd written it right after I'd finished the game.

For example:

When I'm angry, I get really really fucking wordy. And I don't think I agree with some of the stuff in a major way I said in the past. A lot of the stuff I wrote about the battle system is basically me deconstructing two premises put forth by people who like CSB, and I don't like CSB that much. Despite writing up ways to take enemies down quickly and proficiently while detailing how rankings work, I find the system flawed, but I don't think I ever wrote the reasons why I, myself, find the system flawed. I merely deconstructed arguments people put forth.

I... think that might also factor into the reasons why I do try to go in-depth as opposed to talking about what I thought of the game or try to make it sound like I'm thinking like an 'outsider', I guess? I dunno. I probably shouldn't do that since that isn't the type of audience I'm writing for, but I'm so used to writing like that that I can't help it sometimes.

Since you mentioned it, I went back to read your Uncharted 2 review (I haven't played the game yet despite half of GAF nagging me to play it. :p). I do find it interesting that you didn't seem to think much of the characters, since the characterization is something that people give the Uncharted games a ton of credit for. You gave it a fairly high grade on the AniHawk scale, too. Though since you wrote your thoughts on TLOU in the same thread and gave it a higher grade, I guess you liked that one a lot better.

I should really try to find all of my impressions that I posted on GAF and keep them in a doc so I know what I wrote impressions for and what I didn't.

I stopped at the gyro boss in Silent Forest and decided that I'd had enough. That snowball bit in Frozen Factory was absolutely absurd, too. I've dropped it for now, but that's only because I was getting tired of playing games I don't like.

Could you find the rest of the XIII review you wrote? I actually found that excerpt to be a good read.

Razzer

For example:

I dunno about what AniHawk specifically thinks, but the general consensus is that the story and characters of TLoU are better than Uncharted 2 or any Uncharted. I agree with that assessment as well. And the gameplay is better. A kind of evolution of the work they did with Uncharted. I'm sure JC can back me up on this as I know he likes it.

Anth0ny

Check the date.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #48

Song: Ice Cap Zone Act 1
Game: Sonic & Knuckles Collection
Composer: Masaru Setsumaru, probably

I was gonna sit on this one until winter rolled around, but after last night's news, it got bumped to the front of the queue.

At this point I'm pretty sure that when they were replacing songs for this version, they had an explicit goal to make the new tracks sound as little like the old ones as possible. They're both crisp, wintery themes, but the similarities end there. The new one's more of a snow level than an ice level, thin as the line between the two is. It also comes off as being kind of unfinished, as the background chimes play an endless, unchanging loop and the melody abruptly cuts out at 0:48, which emphasizes the repetitive nature of the background all the more. Act 2 comes off even worse, with the percussion being thrown in more or less at random. Act 1's pleasant while it lasts, though, and it makes better use of General MIDI than the shaky conversions that constitute the rest of the soundtrack.

Love Ice Cap Zone 1. One of the best Sonic songs, period. I always thought this was an MJ composed track?

So Mario and Sonic Sochi Olympics released in Europe last week and failed to chart. Those games usually make mad money for SEGA and Nintendo... this is bad.

The audience for the game is not there. I bet the Wii _____ games will underperform too.

PKrockin

Love Ice Cap Zone 1. One of the best Sonic songs, period. I always thought this was an MJ composed track?
We're talking about the Sonic and Knuckles Collection song. Although if you want repetition look no further than the original Ice Cap 1.

I kinda like S&KC version but it always felt out of place for the snowboarding section at the beginning.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic and Knuckles Collection had different music swapped in for Ice Cap, Carnival Night, and Launch Base.

I don't like any of them, really. Samples and composition are just straight-up weird in some of them. Carnival Night Act 2 sounds okay, actually, from what I can remember. Launch Base feels so dissonant because it sounds too 'happy'. I think I have the disc lying around somewhere.

Ice Cap Act 1 itself is eh, but man that MIDI. That neverending loop of that one melody that Sciz talked about completely sticks out to me every single time I listen to the track to the point of just being indifferent to the track altogether. I don't know if it's the mixing or what, but I can't even pay attention to the main melody at all after listening to that.

Could you find the rest of the XIII review you wrote? I actually found that excerpt to be a good read.
I do have it in Google Docs right now, but I'd have to remove the bulk of HTML in there. I read through it earlier, and I am pretty disappointed with the final product. I also think I wouldn't agree with some of the stuff I'd originally written, because I don't hate the game. I find it average, but the tone of the review sounds too harsh for it. Because I was writing for people who like reading numerical scores (ie: my undergraduate peers interested in the game), I'd originally given it a 3/5. And that's the score I'm still sticking with it. The review itself doesn't sound like a 3/5. It sounds like a 2/5 or a 2.5/5. Either way, since people have asked for it in the past, I'll take the tags out and post it as-is despite it kind of being pretty awful.

That's why now, before I even write impressions in detail, I take a little bit to internalize the game before actually writing anything. I'll write points as to what I liked/didn't like, but I won't fully write anything unless I'm positive I can be a little more neutral about it.

I dunno about what AniHawk specifically thinks, but the general consensus is that the story and characters of TLoU are better than Uncharted 2 or any Uncharted. I agree with that assessment as well. And the gameplay is better. A kind of evolution of the work they did with Uncharted. I'm sure JC can back me up on this as I know he likes it.
Well, AniHawk's review is here. He highlighted that the design was incredibly favourable to his tastes and that the dissonance between your actions in-game and the character who you're playing as isn't as strong as the dissonance in Uncharted, but it has a host of technical problems. It's fair.

I just hope the gunplay is better and that the slogs aren't as bad as some of the Uncharted games' slogs.

PKrockin

It's funny, because I grew up with S&KC I always thought of Launch Base as a kind of cheery and fun level whereas I've heard others describe it as more intimidating.

So nice listening to that nostialgic MIDI music. Brings back fond memories of trying to play the game with a joystick. And after all these years despite replaying the games on Steam the MIDI songs are still what my mind associates with the levels. I wouldn't say they're great, except Carnival Night 2, but I'd love to play the game with the S&KC soundtrack again somehow.

Razzer

Well, AniHawk's review is here. He highlighted that the design was incredibly favourable to his tastes and that the dissonance between your actions in-game and the character who you're playing as isn't as strong as the dissonance in Uncharted, but it has a host of technical problems. It's fair.

I just hope the gunplay is better and that the slogs aren't as bad as some of the Uncharted games' slogs.

These are all fair points, I largely agree. As for the gunplay, it's better due to not being the only thing that is available. It's one part of a larger combat system involving melee and stealth. In addition more sophisticated AI and a variety of enemy types means that combat sections aren't anywhere as repetitive.

AniHawk

For example:

even your impressions are very thought out and cover a multitude of reasons why things work and don't work. i take back what i said about my own writing- although i tried adapting impressions into reviews, there's a huge difference between what i put down for uncharted 2 and the last of us. i actually proofread the review for the last of us since it was the first naughty dog game in along time i honestly enjoyed, and wanted it to make as much sense as possible. although reading the uncharted 2 review was how i felt playing it. both are really disjointed and jump around from subject to subject.

uncharted 2 is a fun game. i don't care much for setpieces because i might as well just be watching a cutscene, but the platforming and sense of accomplishment is still there, and you're given some variety to how to approach situations sometimes. the part that baffles me is that the game is praised for its story and characters when they're both written pretty bad. i think people mistake great animation and great voice acting with solid storytelling. it was a lot like watching something from a bad joss whedon script, where everyone has a quick comeback with a sly grin.

worse, they were trying to make an indiana jones type without actually understanding what makes that character work. it isn't that indiana jones is sort of an accidental hero in that he finds himself in dangerous situation and gets out of it by the skin of his teeth, it's that he's an everyman. he could be me or you or anyone, really (well he's probably more of a male fantasy than anything). he's a professor with a day job. he's a normal guy first who happens to also hunt treasure in the name of archeology (and he stays true to that- he believes artifacts belong in a museum).

nathan drake is a treasure hunter. that's it. in addition, he's a guy who wants artifacts to get rich off them. there's no connection for the player. i don't think anyone knows where they can go to school to study treasure huntology. there's no moral underpinning- he doesn't want to see treasures in a museum. to top it off, he's kind of an asshole. unrelatable nathan drake is basically the third-person shooter equivalent of kratos, although unintentionally so.

and as i said in the review there is one character that was done so very very right, which was elena. elena should have been the star of the game. she was a journalist, so her job could take her into dangerous places, but it is also something people can understand. she actually has a job to do that is supposed to come with a code of ethics, so she inherently has some moral underpinnings. what do they do with her? they (and this is a big spoiler for uncharted 2's ending)
do a fake out where they attempt killing her off in an explosion from a suicide bomber who had no actual reason to be a suicide bomber. they turn her into an excuse to make the player sad because nathan drake is sad. they fridge her.
it's fucking awful.

this all without touching on the main plot, which is fairly sloppy, or the other characters, who show up and disappear throughout the course of the game and are essentially other whedonese-speaking assholes. (note: i like joss whedon, but sometimes like in alien resurrection, he goes too far)

and then there's joel from the last of us. he's an asshole and he fucking murders people, because that's who he is and that's what he does. and that's fine because there's no attempt to make him appear like anything else.

Sciz

nathan drake is a treasure hunter. that's it. in addition, he's a guy who wants artifacts to get rich off them. there's no connection for the player. i don't think anyone knows where they can go to school to study treasure huntology. there's no moral underpinning- he doesn't want to see treasures in a museum. to top it off, he's kind of an asshole. unrelatable nathan drake is basically the third-person shooter equivalent of kratos, although unintentionally so.

Interesting that Nintendo pulls off a rather popular version of the exact same archetype in Wario. Not having touched Uncharted, I can't help but wonder what the differences between them are.

Played more of Lost World. I know I'm not at the point where it gets awful, but as of mid-Tropical Coast, it's not that bad...

My main issues seem to come from air control. Namely, I frequently find myself jumping too slowly and having difficulty coming back to try again, so I often try to double-jump to make up for the lost speed and it doesn't pan out. Or perhaps I'm trying to make a long jump, but easily overshoot where I'm trying to land. Or I'm instinctively using the double-jump to change directions, but not accounting for how that nixes the fact I'm spinning, leaving me vulnerable. Or maybe I want to double-jump, but I'm hitting the jump button that's also assigned to "homing attack" and thus go veering off in the wrong direction. It's honestly kind of a mess.

Otherwise, it seems okay. Not looking forward to these pinball and minecart stages people are maligning, though.

Interesting that Nintendo pulls off a rather popular version of the exact same archetype in Wario. Not having touched Uncharted, I can't help but wonder what the differences between them are.
Wario is a greedy asshole who's really only ever in it for himself, and Nintendo not only acknowledges it, they play it up for all it's worth. Nathan, on the other hand, while being a treasure hunter, ostensibly tries to act for the greater good - something Wario only does if there's something in it for him.

qq more

You're actually getting close to where the game starts to go downhill. Personally, I think goes downhill from Tropical Coast Zone 4. Why does water instant kill now?

Regiruler

You're actually getting close to where the game starts to go downhill. Personally, I think goes downhill from Tropical Coast Zone 4. Why does water instant kill now?

It has in the past, hasn't it? The game never panned below, so it should be a clue that "there's nothing down there, I should probably avoid that".
It doesn't help though that water really isn't present at all in the game, though. TC 1 only had it through drill (and walls for some reason), it was effectively absent in TC 2 and TC 3, and 4 was the only location in the game where it was a notable mechanic. WH 1, 2, and 4 had some for cosmetic purposes only, although they should have made the water where you can't see the bottom be instant-death for consistency.

Hell, if I'm not mistaken the game used wind more often than it did water.

qq more

Well, the main issue is that it wasn't really obvious the water was an instant-kill pit. The thing that makes it really confusing is that you can stand on water in the earlier levels of the game. There wasn't much of a distinction.

I recall Tropical Coast Zone 4 to be actually an okay stage... but it is where the game starts showing its flaws through level design.

Tizoc

From the many times I did in World 2-1 in Sonic LW 3DS...I've come to really like the stage theme of Desret Ruins.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #49

Song: And... Fish Hits!
Game: Sonic Adventure
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

Catching a fish wasn't exciting for the sake of catching a fish, but because it signaled the impending end of a Big level. The game's fishing mechanics didn't work well by any metric, but the idea certainly captured the feel of fishing, i.e. long periods of boredom followed by short bursts of adrenaline, and the combination of this and Big's Emerald Coast theme reflects that. You don't usually get to hear the whole thing in-game, though, since individual bouts of fishing just aren't that long. Unless you get one of the really big suckers, and then the electric guitar that breaks in at 0:29 makes sense. Even without it, Tokoi going to town with a brass section is always a pleasure.

Also I'm amused that you can draw parallels between this and Terminal Velocity.

PKrockin

Sonic 3 Complete is pretty cool. I almost feel like it should be called Sonic 3 Custom with all the options. Great to have a replacement for the Super Sonic music.

Man, first thing I did after finishing work and eating dinner was starting up a new game and I only got to Marble Garden before falling asleep. Then I woke up and got to Mushroom Hill Valley before dozing off again and waking up the next day in time to get ready for work. Fuck my 12 hour shift sometimes :/ I like it and all but damn.

PKrockin

TP's start mostly felt too slow because I didn't care about the characters. SS trimmed it down a bit and had more interesting and convincingly expressive characters so I liked it. The race for the statue was much more interesting than goat herding, rescuing your loftwing was much more interesting than rescuing the kids... just better all around.

Also I always disliked the wolf stuff so there's that.

Quackula

TP's start mostly felt too slow because I didn't care about the characters. SS trimmed it down a bit and had more interesting and convincingly expressive characters so I liked it. The race for the statue was much more interesting than goat herding, rescuing your loftwing was much more interesting than rescuing the kids... just better all around.

Also I always disliked the wolf stuff so there's that.

My thoughts almost word for word. SS's intro may be slow, but at least what's going on is more interesting than "herd goats and impress bratty kids for 3 days."

...and I wasn't exaggerating with Twilight Princess one bit. I was attempting to replay it a few months back. I saved outside of the first dungeon, noticed the game timer seriously said I'd been playing for over 5 hours.

PKrockin

My thoughts almost word for word. SS's intro may be slow, but at least what's going on is more interesting than "herd goats and impress bratty kids for 3 days."

...and I wasn't exaggerating with Twilight Princess one bit. I was attempting to replay it a few months back. I saved outside of the first dungeon, noticed the game timer seriously said I'd been playing for over 5 hours.

When I replay Twilight Princess I'm just going to use Gecko OS codes and/or download a save to skip the intro. I wouldn't mind going through SS's intro again, but despite only playing TP once in 2006 thinking about the beginning still puts me off replaying it.

...Wow, Twilight Princess came out 7 years ago.

Razzer

I found the SS tutorial fine in terms of length/what was going on, it was just the fact that they tended to repeat themselves that I got annoyed. In fact as a first time Zelda player I found a lot of the complaints undeserved. Repitition of hints was the game's only major flaw in my opinion. Like some were complaining about tadtones but that was hella enjoyable. Gotta appreciate some relaxing stuff surrounded in beautiful scenery sometimes.

spunodi

My favourite Mario soundtrack got the M&S ReMix treatment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn-qV7Rxxt0

Marioland!!!!! (I played this long before Super Mario Bros. so it's the original Mario theme to me and so it always bothered me that the mainline Mario games never bothered to remix it yet the original track gets trotted out all the time. If they do a Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) ReMix the my life is a huge ball of awesome.)

The best thing about these games is the soundtrack. The Windy Hill ReMix is pretty cool too;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9SaOcKJaY

The Speed Highway mix is also great but I can't find any clean rips yet; it sounds like what the Modern mix in Generations should've sounded like.

PKrockin

I just bough Resident Evil 6 for $2.34. Can't be disappointed now!

If they do a Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) ReMix the my life is a huge ball of awesome.)
SMB2's main theme is kickass. Speaking of, I wish more games continued the bass while paused instead of just immediately falling silent. That was such a neat feature.

Noi

My opinion of Skyward Sword falls off a cliff about halfway through the game. It's like they made the 3 major areas, realized they had a budget limit, then designed the game around re-using all 3 areas as much as they could. Then they combine the worst part of Phantom Hourglass with the worst part of Twilight Princess and make you revisit every area again. And then the final dungeon is
literally copy-pasted chunks of other dungeons with a re-used boss fight in a not so clever puzzle arrangement.

That's of course without counting the pointless sidequests, unskippable item explanations on every reload, excessive amount of handholding, completely empty "overworld"... etc etc.

My opinion of Skyward Sword falls off a cliff about halfway through the game. It's like they made the 3 major areas, realized they had a budget limit, then designed the game around re-using all 3 areas as much as they could. Then they combine the worst part of Phantom Hourglass with the worst part of Twilight Princess and make you revisit every area again. And then the final dungeon is
literally copy-pasted chunks of other dungeons with a re-used boss fight in a not so clever puzzle arrangement.

That's of course without counting the pointless sidequests, unskippable item explanations on every reload, excessive amount of handholding, completely empty "overworld"... etc etc.

but it has motion controls, so it's dabest

I'm replaying SS right now. Maybe I'm just on a high coming off the second dessert section, but my opinion of has improved quite a bit. I give it a 8/10 on the Anihawk scale(TP 7/10, WW 6/10, MM errandboy/10)

On the contrary, Skyword Sword's silent realm sections to me were like them finally getting the whole killer phantoms and tears of light idea executed in the right way, well as right as you can get it anyway.

As for the final dungeon,
LITERALLY copy pasted chunks of other dungeons? I don't think reusing the same dungeon environments covers the use of literally here. Can't say I care much for the actual sliding tile/room gimmick though.

Noi

I didn't like the desert time stone sections, so SS doubling up on those instead of doing something different with the desert (like it does with the lava and forest areas) made me dislike that area the most.

On the contrary, Skyword Sword's silent realm sections to me were like them finally getting the whole killer phantoms and tears of light idea executed in the right way, well as right as you can get it anyway.

As for the final dungeon,
LITERALLY copy pasted chunks of other dungeons? I don't think reusing the same dungeon environments covers the use of literally here. Can't say I care much for the actual sliding tile/room gimmick though.

Don't you know, literally can be used as figuratively now (as dumb as that sounds).

You get the idea though.
After constantly re-using the same areas, a dungeon that's la re-use of previous environments and no real boss fight to it doesn't exactly please me.

PKrockin

The silent realms were quite fun. They were fast, tense, and a good test of your knowledge of the area and terrain navigation. I'd sooner play them a dozen times than WW Forsaken Fortress or TP Tears of Light.

Actually a lot of Skyward Sword was giving you a place to explore thoroughly, then altering it drastically and testing your knowledge and navigation skills. I enjoyed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom