• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny, but I think I liked 3D Land more than Galaxy. And I friggin' loved Galaxy.

Shame about it being piss easy for half the game, though.

May was SUPPOSE to have The Last of Us and GTA5, but they got delayed, so now it's this big deadzone on consoles for me. There's a new Metro game that probably won't be as good as 2033, and that Revelations HD port.

Right now though, it's all about Bioshock Infinite. My expectations is that it's the second coming of Half-Life 2...surely that's reasonable, right?

original.jpg

Oh, and uh, redbox for Gears Judgement. Four TDM maps = no me gusta

It's funny, but I think I liked 3D Land more than Galaxy. And I friggin' loved Galaxy.

It's not that odd of an opinion, while 3D Land may not have as much overall variety as the Galaxy games it doesn't mess around with much in the way of filler, it's fantastically straight to the point.
But the reuse of certain stages that were already reusing concepts seen in the Galaxy games sort of pushes it back below for me, I loved those flip panels in Galaxy 2, I was loving them in 3D Land until they turned up for like the 5th time, granted the one reused stage where you're chased by the ever growing shadow Mario was intense in a good way.
Similar thoughts on the beat blocks.

qq more

Is it wrong that I enjoyed NSMB2 far more despite how rehashy it was?

3D Land felt kind of off. I wanted to love it but I just ended up liking it and think it's just an alright game. I probably played it at the wrong time (I wasn't in a huge Mario mood compared to the time I was playing NSMB2 and U). I kind of forced myself to finish it. Months later though I played the post-game levels and loved it but I'm not entirely sure if it's because they're actually way better than the main game levels or that I played it at the right time.

Maybe it's also my preference for 2D over 3D platformers, but then again I love Mario 64 and Galaxy.

3D Land is my personal favorite 3D Mario title. (Though I've never played Galaxy 2, which is supposedly done by the same team)

I think I'll try to beat Galaxy before the month's over.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's a good review. Now that I think about it, the only level I really enjoyed much in the second half of SM64 was Tiny Huge Island. It definitely starts to slog a little, but not enough to really drag the game down. It's been a long time since I've played SM64 though, perhaps I should give it another spin sometime. I imagine if I tackled it again, I'd be mainly comparing it in my mind to Banjo-Kazooie, which I found ultimately to be a lot more tedious, especially near the end of the game.

And FWIW, I've never gotten more than maybe 90 stars in SM64. I'm just not a big completionist type.

Oh, and one of my favorite things about Super Mario 64 that wasn't ever carried over into other games: The 'camera' is actually a Lakitu you control who actually follows Mario around. I love that. Have any other games personified in the camera in that sort of way? Because I can't think of any.
I don't think the games ever did after that, which is a shame. It seems like fanworks seem to like doing that, though. I thought it was cute.

But yeah, for some reason I can go for completing Sonic games sometimes, but Mario games? Nah. Too much stuff to get, and some of the requirements are ridiculous. As for the second half of the game, I agree. I don't like the second half of the game much at all. At that point, the game began to feel slightly repetitive, and some of the newer stages weren't to my liking much at all. That bit genuinely became a tad boring.

Nothing past 3 is essential anyway. 4 was a strange experiment and everything after that was outsourced to western devs who, with the exception of Shattered Memories, spent most of their time desperately trying and failing to capture the spirit of the first 3. To their credit, many of these devs did respectable enough jobs and made pretty decent games in their own right, but I think they would've been better suited to doing an original franchise or something instead. I think it speaks volumes that the best western-developed Silent Hill game is also the one that veers as far away from the 'traditional' Silent Hill formula as possible.
That's true. It's weird how it ended up being that way (nothing past 3 is worth it) given the breadth of the series and how many games there are in it. I haven't played Downpour yet so I can't speak for it, but some of the ones from 4 onwards weren't games that typically exemplified what SH was about or how the games were designed.

I mean, the latest game is a dungeon crawler (Book of Memories), and while that's admittedly up my alley, that isn't what I come to SH for.

You just reminded me, I was listening to a bunch of old Retronauts episodes, and on one of them they noted an interesting parallel.
Hey, those are some pretty good parallels. I'm pretty sure I felt that about SM64 in the back of my mind but I didn't outright connect it like I should have.

So last years lofty tomes were all a lie? this cannot be!
Actually I sort of feel the same when it comes down to it.
Not necessarily a lie! I did feel the way I did about my soundtrack posts but I didn't feel super-strongly about either of them like I did with Skyward Sword's in 2011.

My GotY list... well, at least I prefaced that list with "please don't put stock into the rankings on this list because 2012 wasn't that great".

Sometimes it's actually better to not go for all the stars, as good as the game is there's some real stinkers in there.

- 100 coins in Dire Dire Docks because the stage is pretty bare and also kind of crummy, topped off by those tantalising coins by the area that will suck you into the castle moat.

- Speaking of a forceful return to the moat, that one winged cap stage near the end where falling out of the sky wont kill you, worse, it deposits you in the moat, have fun running back up the castle to retry!

- Blast away the wall, cryptic cannon calamity right here.

- 100 coins in Rainbow Ride, because it's Rainbow Ride, the only parts I like there are the platforming focused areas for stars 4 and 5.

I wish 3D Mario games would trim the excess stars at times, I know they love that 120 number but it leads to some blatant filler at points, and the less said about Sunshine the better here.
Hot Coldman over here was telling me to go for all of the stars in the Whatcha Been Playin' thread and I was all, "noooooope". My boredom of the later levels kind of helped me to reach the conclusion to do the bare minimum in order to complete the game, to be honest with you. 100 coins in Dire Dire Docks was really silly. And Rainbow Ride is just silly all around.

ViewtifulJC said:
Right now though, it's all about Bioshock Infinite. My expectations is that it's the second coming of Half-Life 2...surely that's reasonable, right?
You are already disappointed.

Dario ff

Banned
I need a cool SonicGAF regular here (I guess I can trust the ones with most posts around here) with a nice and decent PC (say something like an i3/i5/i7 and a decent GPU), that can already run Generations at a stable 60 FPS easily with no problems, to confirm if a file I'm uploading at the moment works as expected on their end. First one to quote should get it later today. No sharing/recording obviously, although you're free to post reactions here if you want. :p

File size is around 2.35 GB compressed.

I haven't had much of a chance to hang around here due to doing crunch work for the past weeks, but I'm pretty confident I have something that works now. Just need to confirm if the file works as intended. I'm excited to do the media blowout this week if everything goes as expected. We will have a thread over at Gaming too!

Gotta go to class now.

qq more

I need a cool SonicGAF regular here (I guess I can trust the ones with most posts around here) with a nice and decent PC (say something like an i3/i5/i7 and a decent GPU), that can already run Generations at a stable 60 FPS easily with no problems, to confirm if a file I'm uploading at the moment works as expected on their end. First one to quote should get it later today. No sharing/recording obviously, although you're free to post reactions here if you want. :p

File size is around 2.35 GB compressed.

I haven't had much of a chance to hang around here due to doing crunch work for the past weeks, but I'm pretty confident I have something that works now. Just need to confirm if the file works as intended. I'm excited to do the media blowout this week if everything goes as expected. We will have a thread over at Gaming too!

Gotta go to class now.

My PC doesn't run Generations at perfect 60FPS but it's there most of the times.

CPU: i5 3.0 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

Well, now that I'm home, I think I'll try to play (and maybe even finish) Galaxy 1 tonight. What's the minimum amount of Stars required to finish the game?

I'm listening to Melty Molten Galaxy right now, just think one of your 9 stars might be in there with that awesome music!
Though Melty Monster in Galaxy 2 takes the cake, quite possibly the most pumping up music in all of the Mario series.

Oh wait, as in you only have 9, I read that as 9 left, well then...

I'm a little miffed because I remember getting as far as whatever Galaxy it is that gives you the ice power-up. Someone must have erased that save file without me knowing.

Can't help but chuckle every time someone mentions the word dome though, heh.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny, some of those games aren't even due this year.
SyJdT8V.gif

Pikmin, Wonderful 101 and Wind Waker we know are coming this year.

- EAD Tokyo Mario is very likely going to be Nintendo's big November game, unless they decide to gamble huge on Retro's new game (which I forgot to mention, and I also believe should be out this year). EAD Tokyo hasn't worked on anything since 3D Land in 2011, so I'm certain they'll have something to show this holiday.

-Bayo 2 is probably the most likely to be released next year, as I imagine Platinum has been very busy lately with Rising and Wonderful 101.

-I can see X coming out this year in Japan, at least. People forget Xenoblade was released in Japan in June 2010. What has Monolith Soft been doing since then besides some help on Skyward Sword? They were probably one of the first teams to get their hands on a Wii U dev kit. I can see X releasing this year.

I can also totally see it being delayed to March 2014 =/

Sometimes it's actually better to not go for all the stars, as good as the game is there's some real stinkers in there.

- 100 coins in Dire Dire Docks because the stage is pretty bare and also kind of crummy, topped off by those tantalising coins by the area that will suck you into the castle moat.

Swimming stages are always lame. Still, the music is so awesome that it's not a huge deal.

- Speaking of a forceful return to the moat, that one winged cap stage near the end where falling out of the sky wont kill you, worse, it deposits you in the moat, have fun running back up the castle to retry!

It takes like one minute to get back up the castle, lol. I remember back in my day when you died in a video game, they'd send you back to the beginning of the game!

- Blast away the wall, cryptic cannon calamity right here.

CANNONLESS SON

- 100 coins in Rainbow Ride, because it's Rainbow Ride, the only parts I like there are the platforming focused areas for stars 4 and 5.

Yeah fuck this star. You are a slave to the magic carpet, so it's really slow.

original.jpg

I don't know about this game. Expectations aren't very high for me. It's looked pretty crappy in recent footage. Here's hoping the final product has a bit more polish.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
-I can see X coming out this year in Japan, at least. People forget Xenoblade was released in Japan in June 2010. What has Monolith Soft been doing since then besides some help on Skyward Sword? They were probably one of the first teams to get their hands on a Wii U dev kit. I can see X releasing this year..
They did Project X Zone (came out in 2012) and they did some work on Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012). Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED also came out in 2010.

It's not like they were sitting on their bottoms this whole time.

Quackula

It takes like one minute to get back up the castle, lol. I remember back in my day when you died in a video game, they'd send you back to the beginning of the game!

A lot of NES games had infinite continues or something along those lines. I'd wager that most games didn't send you back to the beginning, at least not after dying just once, unless they were like a single screen arcade game or something.

qq more

Yeah I can't see X coming out this year. It's likely they only announced the game this soon because of the doom and gloom surrounding the Wii U.

BlackJace

They really did a great job of making Good Egg Galaxy a great first level. It felt really strong as a grand opening.

WELCOME TO THE GALAXY!

Good times....

Quick question, which Galaxy game has that one level where you're primarily underwater for 99% of the level, only to find the star in a tranquil area full of flowers? If it's the second game, I think I might have actually played a fair bit of that at some point, because I definitely remember playing that level.

Completely unrelated note, what good is this freakin' Pro controller for the Wii U if hardly anything uses it?

Found one for darn cheap and it already feels like a waste of money.

OMG Aero

I'm looking forward to... uhhh...

• Sen no Kiseki, I guess? I'd have to play Ao first. And Zero.
  • Soul Hackers is apparently good.
  • Maybe new Tales game provided it isn't terrible and I don't put it down after a few weeks of it? LOL at the thought of looking forward to a damn Tales game now more than an FF game.
  • Watch_Dogs.
  • Deadly Premonition Director's Cut even though I played the Japanese version anyway.
  • Sweet Fuse, because of Ace Attorney art, Inafune, and it's an otome game~
  • Soul Sacrifice because of the music.
  • Muramasa Rebirth, because it'll look super-nice and the localization won't be as dry
  • Pandora's Tower? I dunno
So... that's... 1 remake, two ports. And, well, I might buy the English version of Tales of Xillia too, but the new JP Tales game gets priority.

This year I'm looking forward to 2013's hot new jam Persona 4 Arena, out May 10th.
KbtdIKI.gif

I'm gonna start a new file in FF8. Why am I mentioning it here? Because I want to name SonicGAF members after the GFs. I already have a few down, and the rest of the spots are open.

Rinoa = Rinoia
Angelo = Bean
Griever = Gravijah
Quetz =
Shiva =
Ifrit = Sega1991
Siren = qq more
Brothers = HotColdmen
Diablos =
Carbuncle =
Leviathan =
Pandemona =
Cerberus =
Alexander =
Doomtrain = Emitan
Bahamut =
Cactuar =
Tonberry =
Eden = Schala

I'm gonna start a new file in FF8. Why am I mentioning it here? Because I want to name SonicGAF members after the GFs. I already have a few down, and the rest of the spots are open.

Rinoa = Rinoia
Angelo = Bean
Griever = Gravijah
Quetz =
Shiva =
Ifrit = Sega1991
Siren = qq more
Brothers = HotColdmen
Diablos =
Carbuncle =
Leviathan =
Pandemona =
Cerberus =
Alexander =
Doomtrain = Emitan
Bahamut =
Cactuar =
Tonberry =
Eden = Schala

Oh I can't wait to see who you pick for the other slots.

I kinda look at Galaxy 2 compared to the original the same way I do Generations to Colours. There's fun levels and they're nice to play but the preceding iterations are much more cohesive packages, and more satisfying experiences on the whole.

Also shame that the other half of the game is just a remix of the first.

I liked a lot of things about 3D Land, but it reeked of "oh shit we need to get this out there as soon as possible to help push the system".

qq more

Rinoa = Rinoia
Angelo = Bean
Griever = Gravijah
Quetz =
Shiva =
Ifrit = Sega1991
Siren = qq more
Brothers = HotColdmen
Diablos =
Carbuncle =
Leviathan =
Pandemona =