• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are weeeeird.

9QaH9zF.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ahaha, what are you people doing in here? You all are being weird.

59 stars. Will probably finish this off today.

You deserve it for falling for it.
Really what did you expect when someone told you to play a game in the dark with no other noises? And in a ghost level no less.
It's a Mario game! I never expected to get freaked out of nowhere in a darn Mario game. I thought it was going to be charming through-and-through.

However...

So are you not a horror game person, Schala?
I like 'em a lot, actually. In fact, I played two of them earlier this year!

Mad Father (PC)

game2013-01-2321-47-0kis0c.png
game2013-01-2301-01-3kbswv.png

I finished this last night. Reposting from the thread for it:

I think this is more of an adventure title rather than an RPG (mostly because the stat you can pay attention to is HP, but that only comes up at certain times). Regardless, it's nicely-paced and put-together. I like the colours used a lot, I like the maps a lot (even with the hidden passages). I like the sounds (outside of the eating SFX because that one was kinda weird), the sound cues (the cue coming up when you inspect a dead body), and the atmospheric music, especially as you descend into the basements.

Some of the scares are more audio-focused, though. Whenever I played the game without audio on, I think the likelihood of me getting scared was near-zero. Some of them had to do with not having a lot of light at your disposal, and some of the death kills can make you jump a little. In general, the horror comes from the atmosphere and it making the player uneasy. I think I like this a little better than Corpse Party in the sense that it doesn't play to tropes or it doesn't include a bunch of fanservice or whatnot. Even if it doesn't use binaural audio like Corpse Party (Book of Shadows) does, Mad Father still ends up being really creepy and it's rather short. I'm also impressed by how many character portraits made it into the game.

If you're interested, please stop by its dedicated thread!

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)

fullxustl.jpg
fulli6sne.jpg

I finished Chapter 3 when I was home alone, using the earbuds.

I'm scared.

Send help, GAF.

To be fair, though, I don't play horror games at night or when I'm the only person awake in the house. I'd get way too freaked out. Odd, because I don't really like horror films.

Haunting Ground was great and Capcom should've reprinted it, the dastards.

This looks like the best thing in the world.

5 stars out of 5.

I don't particularly like horror films either. Well, old-school shit I like, plus anything subversive, but stuff like Paranormal Activity? REC? Naw son. Naw.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's okay. One time I went on a school trip and it was super late at night. Idk why, probably because I'm stupid, I told one of my friends to start telling me summaries of movies. We move into horror movie territory and it begins to freak me the hell out. My other friends are of course laughing at my reactions. One of them decides it be hilarious to hide underneath the bed and grab my foot while he's telling the summary. Needless to say, I was scared shitless.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I beat Super Mario 64. Will post impressions later because I suspect some want an LTTP-calibre post.

I'm positive on it, btw. I don't think it's super hot stuff like some of you do, but that's because I played Mario games that came after it. And I played it with a controller that wasn't the N64 controller.

It's okay. One time I went on a school trip and it was super late at night. Idk why, probably because I'm stupid, I told one of my friends to start telling me summaries of movies. We move into horror movie territory and it begins to freak me the hell out. My other friends are of course laughing at my reactions. One of them decides it be hilarious to hide underneath the bed and grab my foot while he's telling the summary. Needless to say, I was scared shitless.
Hahaha, was this in high school, kayos?

What movies did they talk about?

I just met the piano.

>:|

Someone told me to turn the lights off and have it super quiet in here so I did. Only lights were the laptop and the TV.

Thanks.

Really.

Thanks.

Bahahahaha.

It's funny. I was never scared of that piano. I found it more funny than scary. In fact, what scared me more when playing that game for the first time was Peach's face turning into Bowser's when you go to the first Bowser fight.

I was like; oh look it's Peach...ACK Bowser!

Good times. I remember finding Mario 64 somewhat unpleasant in it's first few years. Maybe it was because the castle was so quiet and there was no one around except for the few amount of toads. It gave me this unpleasant sense of lonliness.

Phantom Brave is pretty good thus far; the confining mechanic is pretty neat, though I hope that the turn limit increases throughout the rest of the game. Movement is also pretty cool, since its free range instead of being tile-based, and you can actually move again if you have range left after attacking. I think this was the game that introduced lifting into the rest of N1's games and I like the larger emphasis they have here; seeing Marona lift a tree and whack a slime with it is pretty funny. Control is a bit weird though (I'm playing the PSP version on my Vita); I can see why they decided to port it to the Wii, the pointer could definitely make picking units easier.

kayos90

I beat Super Mario 64. Will post impressions later because I suspect some want an LTTP-calibre post.

I'm positive on it, btw. I don't think it's super hot stuff like some of you do, but that's because I played Mario games that came after it. And I played it with a controller that wasn't the N64 controller.

Hahaha, was this in high school, kayos?

What movies did they talk about?

In high school. Mostly Korean horror movies. One of them was the Grudge and that scared the shit out of me.

Quackula

Only real nasty issue I can think of for it nowadays is the clunky camera that you have to wrestle with.

I prefer the Galaxy games, but that's mostly because I really love the more linear approach it has to its levels.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finished two games today: Super Mario 64 and Time Travelers. I suppose I should pick either the new Hakuoki game or Mega Man Star Force as my third game of the month.

I do think it is an utter shame that I had typed this post out prior to playing and finishing Time Travelers, because I certainly would have gushed about some of the tracks being used well within context (ex: Kamiya's Theme, Another Timeline, The Door Into Summer (No, it is not our Door Into Summer), etc.). I have complained time and time again about cinematic video games and cinematic game design on NeoGAF quite a bit, but I somehow did not mind how it was executed in Time Travelers. I will write more about it in the Whatcha Been Playin' thread tomorrow. Or today. I can't sleep. *shrug* in a sec because I cannot sleep.

Forgive my terseness and/or formality for now. I am not in a coherent frame of mind at the moment.

Just finished Rising. Easily my GOTY so far. That final boss was insane.
The boss fights were the best things about Rising outside of the music. It is my GotY so far as well. And SotY.

Koreans are scary people. =)
kayos90
(Today, 12:43 AM)

Heh.

Only real nasty issue I can think of for it nowadays is the clunky camera that you have to wrestle with.

I prefer the Galaxy games, but that's mostly because I really love the more linear approach it has to its levels.
I prefer them as well for the same reason. Also because I seem to prefer Mario's movement in there. Controlling Mario in SM64 at first felt rather sluggish and heavy. It was something I truly had to get used to.

As for the camera, since I was using the GCN controller, I was trying to move the camera as if I were playing The Wind Waker. This does not work considering the camera was mapped to the C buttons as opposed to another analog stick. The game is truly designed around the N64 controller, and that is its strongest asset. Using the CC and CCPro would have been incredibly detrimental to how I would receive the game.

I shall say that Mario 64 served as an excellent tech demo for what the Nintendo 64 had to bring to that console era in a historical sense. I truly tried to play the game with that in mind, and I am admittedly rather impressed. I understand why people enjoy it and hail it as one of the best Mario games created. However, because I had played the subsequent Mario games prior to this, I prefer them far more to the Nintendo 64 installment.

I can see why they decided to port it to the Wii, the pointer could definitely make picking units easier.
That is truly why I prefer that version as well.

Bahahahaha.

It's funny. I was never scared of that piano. I found it more funny than scary. In fact, what scared me more when playing that game for the first time was Peach's face turning into Bowser's when you go to the first Bowser fight.
I was saying earlier that the portraits (ex: Lethal Lava Land; the first Bowser fight portrait, etc) would perhaps provide nightmare fuel to children back then.

I only have Silent Hill 3...
Pick up Silent Hill 2 and Shattered Memories (Wii version, if possible) if you are curious about exploring the series in greater detail.

I dont see how Galaxy 2 can be topped. Game did everything right.
Galaxy 2 is perhaps one of the tightest platformers I have ever played. With that said, it was not my favourite platformer that year. I had placed Colours above it for obvious reasons, as well as Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Quackula

Pick up Silent Hill 2 and Shattered Memories (Wii version, if possible) if you are curious about exploring the series in greater detail.

Shattered Memories isn't something I'd reccomend to people if they want a taste of the franchise. It's very different from the other entries in the series.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Grrrr.

Go to library, expecting to get work done (and I am). Trying to find a seat in a GOOD place on the third floor, and I see multiple people occupying the GOOD seats and they're playing effing HOTS. Now I have to go to the stupid second floor and grab a seat there and I hate sitting there because people talk there.
J8VhEIC.gif

kayos, I hope you don't do this!

(Also, hey man... new FF thread? Look how many craps I give about it by not posting in it -- me trying to desperately rationalize excluding posting in FF threads for a while) I couldn't keep myself away just to post something to snark off.

Fire Emblem and MGR both have amazing gameplay and soundtracks. 2013 is a good year.
And thank God for that! I hope I can make goty and soty lists without feeling like I'm putting games/soundtracks on those lists just for the sake of making lists.

Shattered Memories isn't something I'd reccomend to people if they want a taste of the franchise. It's very different from the other entries in the series.
To your credit, it certainly is. I should've recommended 1.

However, I just can't bring myself to recommend anything past 3. 4's kinda pushing it.

Anth0ny

It looks grim now, but I think when Wii U gets going this year, we may have a good number of GOTY candidates from that console alone. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD (does this count? lol), and possibly Bayonetta 2, EAD Tokyo Mario and Monolith Soft's X. Jeeeeeeeesus.

I can't count a port with enhanced graphics and/or control as a GotY candidate, no.

Just like I couldn't really believe people were voting Persona 4 (or was it 3) on the Vita as having the best soundtrack of 2012. Uh, guys, that game came out ages ago. Vote for something new.

I also seriously doubt that all of those games are coming out this year.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny, some of those games aren't even due this year.
SyJdT8V.gif

I'm looking forward to... uhhh...

• Sen no Kiseki, I guess? I'd have to play Ao first. And Zero.
  • Soul Hackers is apparently good.
  • Maybe new Tales game provided it isn't terrible and I don't put it down after a few weeks of it? LOL at the thought of looking forward to a damn Tales game now more than an FF game.
  • Watch_Dogs.
  • Deadly Premonition Director's Cut even though I played the Japanese version anyway.
  • Sweet Fuse, because of Ace Attorney art, Inafune, and it's an otome game~
  • Soul Sacrifice because of the music.
  • Muramasa Rebirth, because it'll look super-nice and the localization won't be as dry
  • Pandora's Tower? I dunno
So... that's... 1 remake, two ports. And, well, I might buy the English version of Tales of Xillia too, but the new JP Tales game gets priority.

Also, speaking of ports, apparently Tales of Hearts R is bad. Don't buy it, especially if you played Hearts on DS. Hearts on DS was good. They took out some scenarios, and the battle system is now by the numbers as I suspected when I played through the demo. I imagine the fellow who spent 80 hours or so with the demo also felt that way.

Just like I couldn't really believe people were voting Persona 4 (or was it 3) on the Vita as having the best soundtrack of 2012. Uh, guys, that game came out ages ago. Vote for something new.
It was Persona 4 Golden. To be fair, that version did have its own soundtrack, but you know people were voting for the whole package as opposed to just the newer tracks alone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Figured you guys would be interested in this.

Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64/VC)

gfs_28034_2_3_mid4ix09.jpg

I had never played Super Mario 64 for an extended period time when I was little. I poked around with the start screen, but that was all my cousin let me do. It was not until now that I had finally decided to play the game (of course, I had other GAF members poking and prodding me to finally give it a shot because the notion of someone having not played SM64 before and participating in platformer threads is a bit of a foreign concept).

I truly tried to get into the frame of mind in thinking that if I had played this in the 1990s (of course, when you’ve played the games that came after this, it really is kind of hard to do that). With respect to thinking of the game within the context of the Nintendo 64 system, Super Mario 64 is genuinely an impressive game. It serves as an excellent “tech demo” of sorts for the Nintendo 64 system, and especially its controller. The controller and the game seemed to have been designed around each other (though I think the major advantage of the Z button was not seen until perhaps Ocarina of Time).

The unfortunate thing is that I played the Virtual Console version with a GameCube controller. The GameCube controller is one of my favourite controllers ever, so it isn’t like I had a problem with it overall, but the controls (in particular, the camera) are not made with the GCN controller in mind. I had tried to move the camera around like I would in The Wind Waker without remembering that the camera controls in SM64 were mapped to separate C buttons as opposed to another stick. It was something I don’t think I ever got used to which lead me to platform with hesitation as opposed to fluidly platforming across areas.

I did come across some of the “scarier” stuff that people warned me about in SM64. Large fish made me laugh, the eel was kinda weird, but man, some GAF members pulled few tricks on me for the piano and that was the thing that got me. I do think some things like Peach’s portrait turning into Bowser’s face and the portrait of Lethal Lava Land could probably provide some nightmare fuel to children back then, so I completely understand why some people felt that SM64 was perhaps unsettling in some spots.

I think the music is good! I finally understand why the soundtrack is so beloved. I do think they used the same soundfont for Star Fox 64 (and on a similar note, they ended up reusing a few textures for Ocarina of Time). I’m also happy that I can place SM64 BGMs now because it was actually a soundtrack I’d avoided listening to prior to this (having Siglemic’s speedruns in the background simply acted as white noise).

I’d only completed the game with 73 stars, so I did not go for an outright completion run to some people’s dismay, I suspect. I just wanted to finish the game to say I finished it off. I played through all of the levels to some extent. I also genuinely appreciated that the levels change somewhat as you go through them (ex: jump in the clock at 12 o’clock to stop the cogs from moving, Tiny-Huge Island, etc.). I think there was a lull in the second half of the game where I just didn’t really find the levels that great at all. It’s a shame, because the game started off so strong, with many of the levels having neat things to do, and the second half of the game just not living up to the other levels at all (partially because some of them are just rehashes in terms of things Mario has to do).

Regardless, it’s a good Mario game. Perhaps if I’d played it back when it was released, I would have had a loftier impression of it, and I would not treat the majority of 3D platformers (particularly earlier ones) with general tepidity (because most of them make me nauseous and oddly SM64 never did that to me while I played it… maybe just one time but I was getting used to the swimming controls and inverted Y isn’t nice since I prefer inverted X).

With that said, however, Mario’s come a long way since then. When I first started playing SM64, I was incredibly bothered by Mario’s movement and general heaviness. I wasn’t really feeling the game design either until some GAF members had told me that I was going for stars when I should have probably fought the first Bowser fight by then. I gradually got used to the movement, and I started kind of digging the game design (in terms of being able to do whatever I wanted at times). I do, however, largely prefer the Galaxy games by a country mile. I prefer Mario’s movement in them, and I prefer the game structure more.

But it’s really nice to see how 3D Mario started out, and it’s nice to finally experience the game that kind of set the precedent for many 3D platformers. I’m happy with the experience.​

Thanks to qq more, Emitan, Noi, Bean, Gravijah, and many others for guidance (totally know I forgot some people including in this thread but thank you!!) whenever I asked for it. Really appreciate it.

Also thanks for trying to not spill about the piano before I got there, SonicGAF. Hahaha.

Quackula

That's a good review. Now that I think about it, the only level I really enjoyed much in the second half of SM64 was Tiny Huge Island. It definitely starts to slog a little, but not enough to really drag the game down. It's been a long time since I've played SM64 though, perhaps I should give it another spin sometime. I imagine if I tackled it again, I'd be mainly comparing it in my mind to Banjo-Kazooie, which I found ultimately to be a lot more tedious, especially near the end of the game.

And FWIW, I've never gotten more than maybe 90 stars in SM64. I'm just not a big completionist type.

Oh, and one of my favorite things about Super Mario 64 that wasn't ever carried over into other games: The 'camera' is actually a Lakitu you control who actually follows Mario around. I love that. Have any other games personified in the camera in that sort of way? Because I can't think of any.

To your credit, it certainly is. I should've recommended 1.

However, I just can't bring myself to recommend anything past 3. 4's kinda pushing it.

Nothing past 3 is essential anyway. 4 was a strange experiment and everything after that was outsourced to western devs who, with the exception of Shattered Memories, spent most of their time desperately trying and failing to capture the spirit of the first 3. To their credit, many of these devs did respectable enough jobs and made pretty decent games in their own right, but I think they would've been better suited to doing an original franchise or something instead. I think it speaks volumes that the best western-developed Silent Hill game is also the one that veers as far away from the 'traditional' Silent Hill formula as possible.

Quackula

You just reminded me, I was listening to a bunch of old Retronauts episodes, and on one of them they noted an interesting parallel.

Super Mario 64 : Super Mario Bros
Both were extremely influential and pretty much laid the template for how games in their genre would work.

Super Mario Sunshine : Super Mario Bros 2/USA
A bit of an oddball offshoot for the series that introduced gameplay ideas that would mostly be abandoned in future installments. (FLUDD in the case of Sunshine, throwing veggies in the case of SMB2)

Super Mario Galaxy : Super Mario Bros 3
Expansive, highly polished, and overall high points for their franchises, genres, and consoles. Not anywhere near as influential as the original, however.

Galaxy 2 is practically a Galaxy level pack (for better or worse), so I kinda lump them both together in my mind.

And thank God for that! I hope I can make goty and soty lists without feeling like I'm putting games/soundtracks on those lists just for the sake of making lists.
So last years lofty tomes were all a lie? this cannot be!
Actually I sort of feel the same when it comes down to it.

It looks grim now, but I think when Wii U gets going this year, we may have a good number of GOTY candidates from that console alone. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD (does this count? lol), and possibly Bayonetta 2, EAD Tokyo Mario and Monolith Soft's X. Jeeeeeeeesus.
Pikmin3 and Wonderful 101 better arrive in Summer at some point, the midway point of this year looks so utterly dead in the console space (off the top of my head at least) that it would be a nice place to slot those in.
Of course as others have said some of those aren't going to turn up this year but it at least looks like the ball may get rolling at some stage.

I can't count a port with enhanced graphics and/or control as a GotY candidate, no.

I share these sentiments though something can be said for definitive edition remakes with lots more content.
Even so I have trouble justifying such things for Game/Soundtrack of the Year spots, even if MH3 Ultimate ends up one of my favourites this year (and there's a high chance of that i'd wager) it would be hard for me to put it above an honourable mention even with the boat loads of new stuff.

They could throw out the bird levels and put the manta ray levels back in!
I must be the only person who thought Fluzzard was fun, I was trained by Wario Ware Smooth Moves Paper Plane, I can handle that majestic beast.
Meanwhile the stage design in the manta ray ones was just so bland visually, they're fun enough but they could've been better.

Figured you guys would be interested in this.
Sometimes it's actually better to not go for all the stars, as good as the game is there's some real stinkers in there.

- 100 coins in Dire Dire Docks because the stage is pretty bare and also kind of crummy, topped off by those tantalising coins by the area that will suck you into the castle moat.

- Speaking of a forceful return to the moat, that one winged cap stage near the end where falling out of the sky wont kill you, worse, it deposits you in the moat, have fun running back up the castle to retry!

- Blast away the wall, cryptic cannon calamity right here.

- 100 coins in Rainbow Ride, because it's Rainbow Ride, the only parts I like there are the platforming focused areas for stars 4 and 5.

I wish 3D Mario games would trim the excess stars at times, I know they love that 120 number but it leads to some blatant filler at points, and the less said about Sunshine the better here.

The music to the underground level you enter by jumping in the metallic looking pond is the best music in SM64.
Well it is one of the best versions or an incredibly overused theme I guess.

Galaxy 2 is practically a Galaxy level pack (for better or worse), so I kinda lump them both together in my mind.
Maybe Super Mario Galaxy 2 is basically Super Mario World, then? Or should we wait for the first HD 3D Mario to take up the mantle?

Meanwhile Super Mario 3D Land is, well, Super Mario Land... except much better.

Quackula

Maybe Super Mario Galaxy 2 is basically Super Mario World, then? Or should we wait for the first HD 3D Mario to take up the mantle?
Either way works I guess. Depends on what we get with Super Mario U. I'm really curious as to what on earth they do with it. Galaxy is going to be a really hard act to follow.

Meanwhile Super Mario 3D Land is, well, Super Mario Land... except much better.
Man, I need a 3DS sometime, I really want to play that.

3D Land isn't weird enough to be a proper Mario Land game. Needs an original villain.

Least they could do is bring back Tatanga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom